As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Free Beer. Last page..

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    ok..ill revisit the hand drawn ones again.
    As far a "The Attack of the Killer Pink Fluffies"...I put "The" in front of it, because i feel that is describing the event, while "Attack of the killer Pink Fluffies" Is an action. Or am i wrong?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Agreed. The one with "of the" in a circle is definitely the strongest one imo. Is it most horror or sci-fi? The distressed look is mostly reminiscent of horror pulp while sci-fi pulp had cleaner titles. You could try checking out coverbrowser.com for inspiration. There's a whole section for pulp.

Really cool site...going through that i found these. These are the feel im going for.
    covers_zps91b41072.jpg

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    ok..ill revisit the hand drawn ones again.
    As far a "The Attack of the Killer Pink Fluffies"...I put "The" in front of it, because i feel that is describing the event, while "Attack of the killer Pink Fluffies" Is an action. Or am i wrong?

You are wrong because Attack is working as a noun in the sentence so it is still an event. If you had Attack after Killer Pink Fluffies then it would be an action. 'The' in front isn't like a dealbreaker, but in a seven word sentence you don't want two of them to be the same word.

So everything i do by hand LOOKS LIKE DOG SHIT. Ive wasted like 30 hours this week and have NOTHING to show for it. Im literally having a meltdown. FUCK

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    One thing I'm seeing in a lot of the covers is that they are succinct, most are one or two words. Maybe follow the lead of the Thor cover, with ATTACK at top and of the KILLER PINK FLUFFIES! at the bottom of the page. Also, the little pink guy doesn't read as fluffy to me. I'm not sure what his anatomy is supposed to be, but if it is fluffy like a pomeranian you may want to try using a different outline to convey that. Something like these:
    Pomeranian__Concept_Sketches_by_spiritwolf77.jpg
    pomeranian_dog_sketch_by_timmcfarlin-d4ivwbn.png
    Proud%2BTiger.jpg

You haven't wasted 30 hours this week, you've been learning. If you spend 3 weeks trying to do wheelies and nail it the 22nd day, you didn't waste 3 weeks and then figure it out, you spend 22 days getting it down.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    One thing I'm seeing in a lot of the covers is that they are succinct, most are one or two words. Maybe follow the lead of the Thor cover, with ATTACK at top and of the KILLER PINK FLUFFIES! at the bottom of the page.
    I wouldn't do that. The title of the story is "Attack of the killer pink fluffies," not "of the killer pink fluffies." It could work if the story had an overall series title. In the Thor cover "Thor" is the series and "Death to the legions of pluto" is the story. You could, however, do that if you made a series title. The name of your main character could serve as one for example (like in 'Thor' or 'Buck Rogers'). If you plan on making more stories that aren't necessarily in the same universe you could still call it a series/magazine much like 'Amazing Stories'.

But really zerg. If I were you I would do a scan of the one with the "of the" in the circle and put it into photoshop. Then do your magic on a layer on top of that. When you have a fill layer of the letters maybe play around with some blending options. Maybe add stroking in black, an outer glow or even a gradient (make sure you create your own gradients, the default ones look like horse shit).

m3nace on
    Thanks for staying with me guys..after my little bitch fit, i just started doing it all digital. (the scan was just not working for me) Ill post what i have when i get home tonight. Im doing a combo of the title that everyone seems to like. (the drawn big one on the left page. I put the "OF THE" in a circle and like how it looks so far. Hopefully i can finish it tonight and move on to other parts of the project!

Also, they're not super fluffy. They're supposed to have fur like a short haired bunny, or dog. But they're incredibly soft.

edited July 2013
    By all digital, i mean like sketching it out, so it has that same hand drawn feel. I didn't use any premade fonts.
    And again thanks for all the feedback and support. You guys are awesome.

NakedZergling on
    yeah..i fucking HATE this. I like the layout, but no matter how i try to clean it up it just looks like shit. I feel like im cheating using fonts, but this IS NOT WORKING for me. If someone wants to help me, and clean up this image and make it not look like shit, i can send you the larger file. Let me know the price. Im officially tapping out. fuck it.
    kpflogoALLdigital_zps758f1bac.jpg

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I know text sucks and is super tedious but it is looking WAY better than you are giving yourself credit for!

Im working on yet ANOTHER thats like completely painted. Its kinda cheesy, but its the one i'm least frustrated with so far.

sketchy1_zpsfd4421e3.jpg

wolf_zps792dc792.jpg

swampguy_zpsc67a7c1a.jpg

• two_larsenstwo_larsens Registered User regular
    well developed style:)!

@Two_larsens Thank you...always trying to improve!

First attempt at custom table top terrain
    terrain_zps35f820b8.jpg

• nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    That last post is great! (so is some of your art)

93acff97bUk2g.gif
    hulkWC_zpse7ce396c.jpg

1 layer...
    NO LINES!! (huge challenges for me)
    1/2 hour.
    Im decently happy with it. Thoughts?

tom_zps7502185d.jpg

hulk2_zps6f417b1f.jpg

edited September 2013
    jandb_zps1fa9cac7.jpg
    jandb2_zps20d3f1dc.jpg

NakedZergling on
    I feel like im losing steam with this one.
    Anyone have any thoughts? looking good? bad? anything im not seeing?
    Thanks for any input!
    jandb1_zpsadd08a6a.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    not gonna lie, sitting back and taking a look at this looks amazing. aside from the unfinished ness of the background and hands, really fun man. Compared to your earlier painting stuff this is a huge step forward.

ninjai on
    Thanks @ninjai I do have to work on it more...

Here's a doodle.
    headless_zpsed6ad564.jpg

Trying this for the monthly enrichment. Am i doing this right? What can i do better?
    sil1_zpsc4c45f33.jpg

• SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    This makes being woken up by a drunken shirtless man ringing my doorbell looking for a place to sleep worth it. This is super valuable for this months enrichment challenge, you should post it there too. You never fail to amaze and educate with your posts.

P.S. I didn't let the guy in ;)

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @angel_of_bacon cross post that shit in the enrichment thread!

@angel_of_bacon
    Wow man...just wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to break this down. I really appreciate it. I know your times it limited, so for you to spend some helping us out, is pretty classy man!
    I love the third one...like a lot!
    How long did these take you? Like is it a good idea to keep moving quickly to not over think it, or do you map it out in your head first? I find i let my hand sort of dictate the drawing, and im not really a fan of that!

• Guenn Eona NimueGuenn Eona Nimue Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Hi NakedZergling.... I like a lot of your work, especially this one.

hobocopy.jpg

Hilarious! But what's with the "King Penis of Fuck Mountain" thing?

Guenn Eona Nimue on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    @angel_of_bacon
    Wow man...just wow. Thank you so much for taking the time to break this down. I really appreciate it. I know your times it limited, so for you to spend some helping us out, is pretty classy man!
    How long did these take you? Like is it a good idea to keep moving quickly to not over think it, or do you map it out in your head first? I find i let my hand sort of dictate the drawing, and im not really a fan of that!

Be sure and track the Enrichment thread. He posted this one there and another that he did for me after I went white line crazy. Sooooo good.

• @angel_of_bacon

Oh jeez, I'm terrible at time estimates...5-15 or 20 minutes? Maybe? Given, I was doing these larger and cleaning them up a bit more for the purposes of making them readable for this sort of demonstration than I might if I was just going to keep them to myself. The time could also vary based on what I'm doing; if I were tasked with designing a dozen background characters for a Monsters' Inc movie, I'd probably do a lot more smaller, quicker sketches using broad shapes; if I were just designing costumes for a known character, I might lay out 30 identical versions of that character in a base pose and sketch on top of those quickly, rather than coming up with a new pose every time.

As for 'do I map it out in my head first'- not really. The extent of my pre-thought for these would probably be a rough idea of a gesture, and the first sentence of the notes for each one of those examples- the rest of it was just noodling, seeing what happens, figuring out my thoughts as I go about the process; I abuse the unlimited erasure ability of digital drawing to it's utmost, wiping things out and working back and forth constantly.

Tangent:
    Generally, I'm fairly bad at being able to visualize things in my head with enough specificity to imagine precisely what lines need to go where right from the get go; but a lot of people are very much the opposite way, and have a very strong visualization and predetermination skillset (which I am quite jealous of)- and when I talk to them about how I draw, and how little I have in my head before setting pencil to paper, they look at me like I'm nuts. I discussed this a couple months ago (down at the bottom of the post.)

Not sure I'd say one is better than the other (and really, there's a range between these two opposite extremes, it's not a one or the other choice)- my way might yield some more 'happy accident' type results in that I'm trying out more ideas faster; but it means I also need to spend more time fixing, or doing prep work to get a solid finish.

For stuff like this, if you're having a hard time iterating because you're the kind of guy who prefers to previsualize a lot and just nothing's coming up, it's probably worth loosening up a bit and going ahead with less of game plan to see where it takes you- these are meant to be quick exercises that can help inform a finished product, not a finished product in and of itself. Put down a random series of strokes and see what you can make of it- kind of a Rorschach test. If it sucks, you've spent very little time dicking with it, and can just move on. Once you've got a grasp on an idea though, see it through as far as you need to that you're satisfied that you've gotten all the information you need, into the sketch.

So I'm not going to say, set an egg timer, spend exactly 6 minutes on every sketch, and then move on whether you feel good about it or not. You might get everything you really need down in 15 seconds. If you do, move on. Or you might spend 20 minutes on something and not even notice it, and there may still be more work to be done. Move on when you know something works, or if you know something definitely is NOT working. Don't focus on the time, focus on what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish in doing it.

sketchbook1_zps4c1205c7.jpg

Tonight's Sketches.
    sketchbook2_zps586b0143.jpg

Tonight's doodles.
    sketchbook3_zpsa5c63d4d.jpg

sketch4_zpsd8ec5bd5.jpg

face1_zps84aaa51b.jpg
    face2_zpscb19c419.jpg

Tonight's doodles.

Hey guys. Can i get some help here? Im trying to get a cool angle here, but its all jacked up. i wanted it to look like he's running..hunched over..I originally had his left arm thrown to the left BEHIND him. I moved it forward and now it looks even more off..i can't tell if his left leg need to be bigger, or the arch in his back is off....both. Anyone have any clue? Or is this beyond saving? lol. I like the arm and the head.
    20140404_190627_zps8c8d019c.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Using reference for something like this will make your life way easier. If you got a buddy and a smartphone, just shoot your own. You may have to get creative to lean enough to get the pose you are looking for in this, but you should be able to get something going. At least do some thumbnails to try and work our the pose before you really jump into drawing.

edited April 2014
    sketch12_zpsd4095fbe.jpg
    sketch16_zps4079a4e6.jpg
    sketch18_zpsb9498ee3.jpg
    sketch19_zps7347ba31.jpg
    sketch17_zps44b928e7.jpg
    sketch15_zpsa3a93b34.jpg
    sketch14_zps84d6928b.jpg
    sketch7_zps99ff244c.jpg
    sketch13_zps0844dfa3.jpg
    sketch9_zps802377e7.jpg
    sketch8_zps55982644.jpg