As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    At last!

My people will finally be free from Napoleon's tyranny.

Can't follow us into space, fucker.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    "Oh, no! Space Napoleon!"

"Hon hon hon!"

• Options
    This game is a really exciting prospect to me.

I really liked a lot of the mechanics and general gameplay in Civ but I've never been a big history buff.

On the other hand I am a giant scifi nerd so I am salivating right now.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I recently picked up and played a good number of games on Civ: Revolution, since it was free on X-Box. That's literally the first Civ game I'd played since Call to Power. Say what you want about CtP, but it had hover tanks. I'm interested in the space tech angle of Beyond Earth.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    At last!

My people will finally be free from Napoleon's tyranny.

Can't follow us into space, fucker.

Dr. Chaos, meet Sister Miriam Godwinson.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Stolen from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_WSgMhfuic&feature=youtu.be

"For the record, I didn't shift either [the song or the video] by a single frame."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Supremacy sounds insanely fun.

Not looking forward to the inevitable AI uprising though.

"Alright, everybody. Time to pack up and put on your Quarian masks"

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    All I really want to know is will there be equivalents to the tectonic missile and planet buster?

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    ...Why are we trying to leave the Earth in LEO shuttles? :p

...I also wonder if we're going to see some of the XCOM IP creep in here (I hope not. I really didn't like the XCOM soldiers making an appearance in the last Civ expansion).

LEOs are flying to big colony ships in last shot. :)

Funny, I hate Civ's immortal leaders and how it generify's everything, like being able to build the pyramids in Paris, but the XCOM squad didn't bother me at all.

Regarding stacks, I'd like to see a half way house of 1 unit per tile, but when built its at 10% strength or so and you stack the same unit type together to make it stronger. So instead of the map being filled with units it would be a smattering representing each unit type - with relative strength being a factor.

Here's hoping that one of the starting civ options is a penal colony ... or at least Space Australians.

wilting on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Here's hoping that one of the starting civ options is a penal colony ... or at least Space Australians.

I hope there won't be. I doubt any government would want to ship criminals up in space for the very first wave of colonization.

Maybe later on you can have random penal colony ships land for you to have to deal with.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »

I hope there won't be. I doubt any government would want to ship criminals up in space for the very first wave of colonization.

Maybe later on you can have random penal colony ships land for you to have to deal with.
    Criminals are just entrepreneurs addressing a societal need for things to get done that may not be strictly legal.

I'd argue that all colonists are Space Australians. Seems only fair since their entire planet is trying to kill them, just like Australia.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Frankly if there is a space Australia penal colony option I may have to consult my lawyer.

Seriously though I can't get excited about this after how flat civ 4&5 have felt to me and how the brief description is very much "civ5 but with a sci fi paint job" rather than what I want which is "fusing 4x with narrative"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Finally, my nuclear bombardments the turn before I finish my Science victory in Civ5 games will have a continuation!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    One good example of that is that, in my mind, there are two kinds of Civilization games. There's Civilization 4 and Civilization 5, then there's Civ Rev. Civ Rev is my favourite, it's the last Civ that Sid Meier himself has designed we want to reach a new audience. We want to get to those XCOM fans who may not have played Civ because history wasn't their thing, or strategy gamers that are playing a lot of these strategy games on IOS, that haven't tried Civ before. We want to reach those people, so we're trying to make the game more accessible for them

We decided on a different way to make your army customisable, and also feed back into your affinity, your cultural identity. So you have a catalogue of generic unit types that will upgrade as you level up. As your dominant affinity goes higher you'll be able to stack these guys with perks, with special abilities that are themed to that. Your marines can start out as normal marines, and then you play a little while and they level up to level two marines and you give them the anti-alien perk instead of the anti-city perk, because that's the kind of army you want to field. Then they have more abilities beyond that, so your stock types upgrade throughout the game.

Eeeeh...

D:

...I hope by 'strategy games on iOS' they mean 'FTL and nothing else'.

And... that last paragraph sounds disheartening. Is he/she saying that there are not going to be unique units? In fairness, SMAC didn't really have those either... but on that same token, warfare & unit selection in SMAC was kinda balls.

Don't worry. I'm sure them taking their cues from tablet and phone games is totally benign. You know, like paying 5 Sid Meier Credits (TM) to start a new colony or launch an orbital bombardment. What? You can totally earn those by playing. 5 a day, rain or shine. Or, you know, tweet about your victory over the xeno-loving faction next door, or spending money at the Sid Meier Credit Market (TM)...

;)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    No one is going to send convicts when a kilogram to orbit - let alone to another star system - costs hundreds or thousands and a bullet costs pennies.
    The ratio for transportees was nowhere near so extreme.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    God bless the nerdy little heard of RPS's commenters:
    Research Complete: Cautious Optimism

“And when I my eyes first fell on the trailer for all I have hoped for, I felt…happy, yet anxious.” – Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted the Fruit

12/04/2014 at 17:36 staberas says:

Of course we’ll bundle our new videogame with the new unlockable DLC’s! Our customers expect no less of us. We have never sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that no one feels the need to compete with us.
    CEO Nwabudike Morgan, Unlimited DCL’s Research.

12/04/2014 at 18:00 Fenix says:

“The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the day 1 DLC of yesterday fades into the F2P of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.”
    – Sister Miriam Godwinson, “A Blessed Struggle”

12/04/2014 at 18:06 CannedLizard says:

“Beware of he who would deny you access to your game unless you have a network connection, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.” – Commissioner Pravin Lal, “U.N. Declaration of Rights”

12/04/2014 at 18:10 rhubarb says:

“It is the final duty of every successful IP to be given a DLC-heavy remake, and become one with all the investors.” – Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, “Ethics For Tomorrow”

12/04/2014 at 18:25 staberas says:

My gift to industry is the genetically engineered gamer, or Gamerjack. Specially designed for gaming, the Gamerjack’s muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except DLC’s. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, “Essays on Mind and Matter”

13/04/2014 at 12:25 Mormont says:

In the great commons at Gaia’s Landing we have a polished and particularly stable build of Sid Meier’s Colonization, developed at the time of the first colonies. It represents our promise to the people, and to the industry itself, never to repeat the tragedy of Civ5.

– Lady Deirdre Skye, “Planet Dreams”

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    They had me right up until "tragedy of civ5". 1/10, would not thumbs up.

well it is from an internet comments section, so it can't be all good lest it break reality itself.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Becasue READACTED, I pretty much expect Deirdre to have terrible opinions.

Edit: no need to bring in real life politics into this thread.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    One good example of that is that, in my mind, there are two kinds of Civilization games. There's Civilization 4 and Civilization 5, then there's Civ Rev. Civ Rev is my favourite, it's the last Civ that Sid Meier himself has designed we want to reach a new audience. We want to get to those XCOM fans who may not have played Civ because history wasn't their thing, or strategy gamers that are playing a lot of these strategy games on IOS, that haven't tried Civ before. We want to reach those people, so we're trying to make the game more accessible for them

We decided on a different way to make your army customisable, and also feed back into your affinity, your cultural identity. So you have a catalogue of generic unit types that will upgrade as you level up. As your dominant affinity goes higher you'll be able to stack these guys with perks, with special abilities that are themed to that. Your marines can start out as normal marines, and then you play a little while and they level up to level two marines and you give them the anti-alien perk instead of the anti-city perk, because that's the kind of army you want to field. Then they have more abilities beyond that, so your stock types upgrade throughout the game.

Eeeeh...

D:

...I hope by 'strategy games on iOS' they mean 'FTL and nothing else'.

And... that last paragraph sounds disheartening. Is he/she saying that there are not going to be unique units? In fairness, SMAC didn't really have those either... but on that same token, warfare & unit selection in SMAC was kinda balls.

Don't worry. I'm sure them taking their cues from tablet and phone games is totally benign. You know, like paying 5 Sid Meier Credits (TM) to start a new colony or launch an orbital bombardment. What? You can totally earn those by playing. 5 a day, rain or shine. Or, you know, tweet about your victory over the xeno-loving faction next door, or spending money at the Sid Meier Credit Market (TM)...

;)

Why are you giving EA ideas about their new Alpha Centauri reboot for iOS?

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Will Miller: Mechanically, the Purity player is the one that's going to put guns on things. Giant platforms with lots of guns.

David McDonough: We're going to build a fortress, and we're going to make it fly.

PC Gamer: I think I know which one I'm going to play already.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I never liked the Spartans much. That Industry penalty was killer.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    A spiritual sequel to Alpha Centauri based on Civ 5. There goes my whole life to 'just one more turn'.
    This is coming from a guy who spent about 100's hours just playing the 100 turn demo for Alpha Centauri, so its safe to say i'm very excited.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I enjoyed the Spartans
    I never liked the Spartans much. That Industry penalty was killer.

Spartans are just fine. The Hive is right over there. They have plenty of industry just waiting for you. Deirdre will help. Bro-Sisters for Planet and the right to bear Mindworms.

edit: All joking aside I think it's a mistake to expect factions in SMAC to have that kind of parity with Beyond Earth.

Drake on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I like playing the University to get a technological advantage over my foes, and then laughing maniacally when I get the Hunter Seeker Algorithm.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Really, really looking forward to this - I loved Alpha Centuri, and I'm ready for a new version that looks as good as Civ 5 does.

Day One purchase, with a day's leave in reserve ready to book the day off.

Space worms !

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I like playing the University to get a technological advantage over my foes, and then laughing maniacally when I get the Hunter Seeker Algorithm.

Yea, university is fun, but the fights are hilariously easy after I get spider steel armor and fusion lasers, and everyone else has lasers but the spartans have missiles.
    My roommate and I banned the University and the AI's from player choice because the tech advantage is too much. He'll never live down the beating I have him as the Pirates, though.
    Especially when I voted to raise the water level on him and kill his entire coastal economy... and a few cities... >:)

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    It's already up for pre-order on Amazon in both DVD and download versions.

The download is shown as Steam, but not the DVD version. I assume that will be changed over time. It would be weird for 2k to back off Steamworks at this point. It seems to have been good news for them the past few years.

Release date is shown as 12/31/14, which is later than what we've seen so far in, "Fall 2014."

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    That's just placeholder for "sometime in Q4 because they haven't given us a date".

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I am very excited to be colonizing and exploring this new world. What was it's designation again? LV-426?

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    As probably the only 4x fan who didn't like Alpha Centauri, I'm actually super excited for this one. For the most part, it sounds like they're taking full aim at several of the plagues of the genre, which is really refreshing to hear.

I'm kinda worried about the "tech web," though. It sounded neat until they mentioned that it basically had the faction ideologies serving as soft delineations. To me that sounds more like "three tech trees, two of which you'll mostly ignore each game."

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Yeah, everyone will invest in the Weyland-Yutani tech tree and totally ignore Blue Sun and Cyberdyne Systems.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I really hope they decrease the carpet of doom problem, and make utility units all work like Caravans do. I haaaate moving Missionaries around. Hate it.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Endless Space had what you'd call a tech web, I guess. Started in the middle, and grew outward in 4 separate quadrants.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    I read the first three pages.

I spent time formulating my thoughts and responses. Had everything diagrammed in my mind, organized for text.

Screw it.

Squee!

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    wvru1r0ex4e1.jpg

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Endless Space had what you'd call a tech web, I guess. Started in the middle, and grew outward in 4 separate quadrants.

It works okay, but it always kind of turns into you just picking a place to start spiraling, and getting 2 from A, 2 from B, 2 from C..., when going one layer up takes 19 turns and getting every other tech currently available takes 8, there's not much reason to specialize.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Space Gandhi!

Ugh...Ghandi with PlanetBusters..
    Beefers wrote: »
    Doomstacks are the worst, a crutch vs the AI. No one actually does that in multiplayer...why bring it back.

In SMAC the computer used Doomstacks to be disgusting in sieges. One hive = 10 Infantry, 5 Probe teams, 3 Aircraft.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Yes, while there are problems with 1UPT, after growing up on Civ II and being a rabid fan since then, I much, much prefer it to doomstacks. Additionally, the Hex-Tile system is much more preferable than the rectilinear system.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    Yes, while there are problems with 1UPT, after growing up on Civ II and being a rabid fan since then, I much, much prefer it to doomstacks. Additionally, the Hex-Tile system is much more preferable than the rectilinear system.

It's Sci-Fi. Everything is covered in hexes in Sci-Fi.