As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The kind of thread you never want to make.

MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNBREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
I was informed today that our fellow forumer IpseDixit died today. Without going into the circumstances, I think we can all agree that this fucking sucks.

Ipse was one of the first dudes from here that I ever met in real life. I feel slightly ashamed admitting that I don't remember exactly when it was, but it was at the very least a good six or seven years ago. Without having met him, and having realized that people from the internet aren't all crazy people (except in the best possible way), I'm not sure I'd have been so willing to meet so many people from here.

He was a dude who liked fast cars, anime, and good food. When we could be bothered to play a pen and paper RPG he always played the most bizarre characters that consistently entertained. Many nights were spent discussing the finer points of the Fast & Furious movies, usually without actually watching said movies.

He was a dude who offered to get my old Camry fixed for super cheap when the transmission gave out. He was the best person to go for car advice, as in addition to being really into cars he also worked for a mechanic.

He was my friend, who I didn't see enough of when I still had the chance to. And I'll miss him dearly.

Not sure what else to say here.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm sorry. :(

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Aw man, this is so unexpected, and so awful. He will be terribly missed.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn, when forumers die I feel like I have one less friend in the world. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Oh no, Ispe

:(

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Wow.

I never really interacted with him but have been around long enough he seemed like a cool dude.
    It's especially surreal after seeing him post just the other day about his new haircut in the fashion thread. I literally just saw him.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    My deepest sympathies to his family as well as to his friends here.

I know he was part of the Bay Area group, but I never had the chance to meet him at any of the gatherings. :(

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    whoa holy shit

he always seemed pretty cool

my condolences

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    To make a monstrous understatement, this fucking sucks.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    damn, He was one of the good ones...

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Don't really have anything to say. Nothing coherent, at least. Got the call while I was at work, still haven't processed it, really.

He will be missed.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    oh fuck

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I don't really know what to say

"My condolences" doesn't seem like enough

It doesn't ever

But it is genuinely said, with honesty, at least

This righteously sucks

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh jeez. :(

I don't think I had a lot to do with Ipse on here, but this is a thorough kick in the guts regardless.

My sympathies to the family and all involved.

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    well that blows

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    dangit

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, that's a punch in the gut, even if I didn't talk to him much.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Bendery, he really was. Andrew was a class act. I never heard a crass or gossipy word from him. He was so fun to hang out with. He was also really giving and generous; when we couldn't drive down to him, he made a real effort to drive up and see us. He was the first non-family member to come and see Anya when she was born.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    The world is a lesser place whenever we lose a swell fellow like this. :(

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Janson wrote: »
    Bendery, he really was. Andrew was a class act. I never heard a crass or gossipy word from him. He was so fun to hang out with. He was also really giving and generous; when we couldn't drive down to him, he made a real effort to drive up and see us. He was the first non-family member to come and see Anya when she was born.

He's one of the few forumers to have met my Mom when I took her to Comic Con in 09.
    6175_593887357821_1000970_343884-1.jpg

I liked him

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I never really talked to him, but I know that a lot of people I do talk to on here were friends with him. I'm so sorry to hear this. You're in my thoughts, and I hope you're able to get through this in whatever way you need to.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Oh no, no no no no. Ipsedixit was one of the few people I interacted with on the regular on these forums via the car threads.

He was a great dude by all accounts and even though I only knew him through a web forum, my heart is heavy with this news.

This fucking sucks oh my god.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Man.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    man, I met him at Comic-Con too

he was really, really nice

fuck, man

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I never got to meet him, but I interacted with him a bit on here. This sucks, and he will be missed.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I wish I knew him, he sounded like someone I'd love to be friends with.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    damn, He was one of the good ones...

He really was... nearly 8 years and his only infraction was part of a joke.

On a serious note, I didn't really know him, just sort of saw him around. I'm sure this isn't an original thought or anything, but every so often something comes along to make me realize how long I've been here, how much has happened to me, and how much I've changed. Everyone who's been here that long is a different person at a different stage in their lives than they were when they joined. The forum population is aging, and we will see more of these over the years as life inevitably happens to us.

And when it does, hundreds of people we've never even met and barely interacted with will come to a thread made by the ones who have to express their condolences, because the world is small now. I find that both humbling and oddly comforting.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Ipse sounds like a righteous dude. I'm sad I've never known him.

I hope his loved ones are alright.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Oh

oh no

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I had a chance to see him a month or so ago, but it was one of the few times I was out of the house doing something in town

fuck

FUCK

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Anya saw I was upset and she kept asking "Daddy okay? Daddy what happen?"

And I asked for a hug and she walked up to me, only to turn away at the last second and start laughing.

Babies.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    He and I interacted quite a bit off the forums back in the day, but that tapered off over the years and I can't say that we were very close. But he always came across as a genuinely nice guy who just wanted to do nice things and for the people around him to get along and be happy. The world needs more guys like him, and it really sucks that he's gone.

@Moriveth and @Janson I know he was special to the both of you, for a variety of reasons. Sincerest condolences to you guys and to his family.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    My deepest sympathies to all his friends and family.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Anya saw I was upset and she kept asking "Daddy okay? Daddy what happen?"

And I asked for a hug and she walked up to me, only to turn away at the last second and start laughing.

Babies.

Awwwww she's trying to make you smile. She is just the best.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, if there was a word to describe Ipse, it'd be genuine.

He was just a good dude. Can't say it any more succinctly than that.

I realize I'm never going to feel like I saw him enough, even if I saw him every day, but that doesn't make me regret not seeing him more.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I can't believe this. I just saw him post not that long ago.

I can't really come up with the words. I'm really sorry.

• Options
    for just about every day for past couple of years until recently, I used a french press given to me by Ipse and his (then) girlfriend

it was a super thoughtful gift

I'm drinking a carefully measured whiskey sour in his honor, right now

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, Mori