As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm was totally considering getting TWD for my tablet until I saw that each episode is like $5 after the free first one. I already have ep1 on PS3 which I have completed as well as owning all of Season 1 on PC which I still have not completed. Playing this on my bus commute would be the perfect chance to actually play it but I just can't bring myself to triple dip. I've heard such awesome things about it though that I'm still tempted.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    that is the whole season 1..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Really? I think I'll totally get in on that then. Thanks

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I love Kairosoft games, and am sooooo waiting for engrish version of their newest one to come out: Great Pirate Quest Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXFQqHm9rGw

Dirtyboy on
  • Options
    that is the whole season 1..

The description is very confusing. It says that it's Season 1 and it's free but then there is this description:

Description
    As featured in TegraZone, The Walking Dead is a five-part game series (Episode 2-5 can be purchased via in-app) set in the same universe as Robert Kirkman’s award-winning series. Play as Lee Everett, a convicted criminal, who has been given a second chance at life in a world devastated by the undead. With corpses returning to life and survivors stopping at nothing to maintain their own safety, protecting an orphaned girl named Clementine may offer him redemption in a world gone to hell. Experience events, meet people and visit locations that foreshadow the story of Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes. A tailored game experience – actions, choices and decisions you make will affect how your story plays out across the entire series.
    • Plays great on NVIDIA SHIELD
    • Winner of over 90 Game of the Year awards
    All five award-winning episodes plus special episode ‘400 Days’
    • Choice matters: your decisions change the story around you
    Save over 35% on additional episodes by purchasing the Season Pass and gain access to Episodes 2-5, plus special episode 400 Days immediately

I'm downloading it now and I'll check because one of those bolded sections suggests that it's the whole season while the other 2 seem to point towards in-app purchases on eps 2-5. I'll post back once I know.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I just loaded up The Walking Dead on Android and it is indeed $5 per episode for eps 2-5. I guess I won't do that. I'll just have to sit down and play it on PC one of these days.

EDIT: Which isn't to say that it's not worth it. By all accounts it is totally worth it. It's just probably not worth buying it a 3rd time for me.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    My wife and I have been doing Clash of Clans because we're weak willed humans.

Are there any good android games yet? Every single one I've played is either simple and dumb, or it just shits itself at some point. The worst are the ones with criminal IAP.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by the fact that an actually good game doesn't seem to exist yet.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Threes is a brain exercise "game". While it falls in the archetype of a game, it isn't what I would call "a good game". It's like any problem solving or puzzle game, not really a compelling experience.

Might just be me though. I'm looking for something more than 10 minutes at a time.

No idea what DCSS is.

And yes, I realize I'm being silly. We've had android for a while, though.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, an awesome rouge descendent.

It's a decendant of red?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm pretty surprised by the fact that an actually good game doesn't seem to exist yet.

But they do!

Good android games:

-The room. Neat puzzle/problem solving game
    -Broken sword 1,2 - neat remake of the old games
    -Ridiculous fishing - its vlambeer goddamit!
    -Incredipede - build a machine made out of flesh and bone, and see it scramble across the screen!
    -Middle manager of justice - double fine game.
    -Rymdkapsel - nice RTS/tower defence lite.
    -Epoch - fairly simple action game. Good looking though!
    -Bridge constructor - build a bridge. Somewhat detailed physics simulator.
    -Jetpack Joyride - one of the more polished constant runner games. F2P, but the free version is very playable!
    -Blood of the zombies - a choose-your-own adventure made by CYA ian livingstone!
    -Neuroshima hex - nice strategic board-game.
    -Robotek - glorified slot machine dressed up in a tactical game, but a very polished one!
    -Machinarium - nice adventure game (old click-click-click type).
    -Osmos HD - a bit hard to explain. action/puzzle game where you are a blob trying to eat smaller blobs. Free demo.
    -World of GOO - just play this game.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Both the Kingdom Rush games are great if you like tower defense. Some IAP but I doubt I spent more than $10-15 for the both of them.
    Galaxy on Fire 2 is pretty fun. It's basically an Elite space ship style game. I think I spent 5$ on it so far and I'm not seeing anything where I'm going to have to fork over a bunch of money any time soon.
    Plants vs. Zombie 2 is free and they just added stuff. The IAP is pretty optional if you're good at the game.
    Major Mayhem is a good little rails style shooter. Don't think I have spent anything on it TBH.
    Reaper was some good fun. It's a premium title but IIRC it's pretty cheap. Sort of a sidescroller RPG. Kind of hard to explain though.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Yeah, and there's still a ton that ya'll didn't mention.
    Tactics: Frozen Synapse, Hero Academy, Greed Corp, Worms 2, Rune Raiders
    Racing: Need for Speed Most Wanted
    Puzzle: Splice, SpaceChem
    Casual: TripleTown
    Arcade: Tilt to Live 2, Aaaaaaaa!, Raiden Legacy, Super Hexagon
    Card: CardCityNights
    Roguelike: Ending, Hoplite
    ???: Spaceteam, Anomaly 2, Hundreds, Spider: Secret of something something
    Also Aquaria, which you can't get any more apparently? :(

A significant number of awesome games debuted Android ports in Humble Android Bundles; it's worth keeping an eye on them.

Also, also! I paid my $10 and am downloading the beta of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition onto my Nexus 7 AT THIS VERY MOMENT. The developer says to wait for a few more updates before trying a full playthrough, but one guy says he did a speed run of the main quest without any show-stopping issues. Excitement!

• Options
    You know what would be really awesome?

If someone took the time to take this list, find them in the Play store, and link them.

Say in a big post at the top of the thread.

Otherwise this information has been very rad, and I plan on exploring most of these.

Thanks guys!

• Options
    Another one I have heard is good is Shadowrun Returns

I actually thought it was in beta until I just checked and found that's it's available.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    For those that have played aquaria, I got stuck on the jellyfish and I think it's the touchscreen controls that were doing me in. Maybe I suck but it just seemed too hard to be fun at that point and I put it down. Have people been playing it on touchscreen or using some sort of controller?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    You know what would be really awesome?

If someone took the time to take this list, find them in the Play store, and link them.

Say in a big post at the top of the thread.

Otherwise this information has been very rad, and I plan on exploring most of these.

Thanks guys!

Ding ding ding @captaink‌ .

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I got rid of my android tablet recently, actually. If someone wants to do it I'll copy-paste it into the OP.

• Options
    I have like 30+ Android games just from Humble Bundles.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    My phone is my magical companion full of wonder.

My tablet is a manga reader and glorified kemco and kairosoft platform.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I bought Blood of the Zombies and I love the format but holy crap is the game bullshit. Spoilers, I guess:
    First I got almost to the end but found out if you didn't get a specific item in the first 5 minutes you can't continue and die. Then after I restarted I got to the very end and find out you basically lose if you didn't manage to stumble across all of the zombies, I guess.
    Not sure what specific path you're supposed to take.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    The newest Humble Bundle is all Android

For $1
    Bag it!
    R-Type II
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow

BTA
    The Cave
    The Room Two
    Carcassonne
    ... more games to be announced

I just picked it up because hopefully I will actually be able to play The Cave. The Room was pretty good too so hopefully the sequel is too.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    The newest Humble Bundle is all Android

For $1
    Bag it!
    R-Type II
    Aralon: Sword and Shadow

BTA
    The Cave
    The Room Two
    Carcassonne
    ... more games to be announced

I just picked it up because hopefully I will actually be able to play The Cave. The Room was pretty good too so hopefully the sequel is too.

Grabbed it, thanks! Also, last night I got the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition paid beta, awesome that they're offering the full game basically as an early access paid beta, looking for feedback. I'd planned to give them that $10 anyhow, and now I don't have to wait weeks (months?) to get out of Candlekeep. Had been doing testing for free with them via TestFlight, since TF was bought by Apple and Beamdog had to move to Google Play this seems to be the most awesome of possible outcomes.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried out shadowrun returns on Android.? Feel like I would put some time into it if it was good

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    Has anyone tried out shadowrun returns on Android.? Feel like I would put some time into it if it was good

It IS good, if you've got a device it doesn't stutter on (works fine on my Note 3, but is slow on my older Tegra 2 tablet). However, they currently only have the main campaign, the user created stuff isn't there. It's something they've talked about adding/expanding, but that talk was a while ago. May still happen, but don't get it for hopes of the future.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm running shadowrun returns on an original nexus 7 and it seems to run well though I actually only played to just past the character creation screen without trouble so take that for what it's worth.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    if i recall its only dead mans switch at the moment which isnt great... dragonfall should be out soon and that is fantastic.

• Options
    Played through Shadowrun a bit more on my Gen 1 Nexus 7 and it works fine. There was an occasional stutter but that's no big deal in a turn-based game. There is a warning when you first start playing recommending against multitasking and switching apps because it requires a lot of memory and, if you switch to do something else, Android might actually close the game to free up some memory.

So far I like the game and it will serve greatly in keeping me entertained on my daily bus rides.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    baldurs gate enhanced edition is out on android! finally... $9.99/£6.99 shows up on my note 3 play store so phones too i guess? should be awesome or awkward. i'll find out next week when i buy it.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So I have an Nvidia Shield, which I use primarily to stream games from my PC. However, I sometimes forget that it is also a pretty awesome Android gaming device. Thankfully I did remember this a few nights ago and snagged Rochard. I've only played about an hour so far, but for people who say there are no good Android games, I would definitely present this as a counter argument. Think metroidvania meets Portal meets Half Life 2. And it's a beautiful game to boot. Really great stuff so far.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    So I have an Nvidia Shield, which I use primarily to stream games from my PC. However, I sometimes forget that it is also a pretty awesome Android gaming device. Thankfully I did remember this a few nights ago and snagged Rochard. I've only played about an hour so far, but for people who say there are no good Android games, I would definitely present this as a counter argument. Think metroidvania meets Portal meets Half Life 2. And it's a beautiful game to boot. Really great stuff so far.

Not compatible with my Note 3, bah! Oh, and Baldur's Gate is awesome on this phone, the stylus is what makes it perfect. Would likely be difficult with fat fingertips.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm curious. I was thinking I would love to make a tablet/phone game. My biggest complaint about touchscreen gaming is always the controls though. Action games with a virtual touchpads never seem to work for me because there is no physical feedback. Then other games that require quick selection, I find my hand blocking the screen so I can't really see what I'm doing.

What games have people played that people felt worked really well with touchscreen controls?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I made a Marvel Puzzle Quest alliance called ur mum if anyone still shame playing the game would like to join

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm curious. I was thinking I would love to make a tablet/phone game. My biggest complaint about touchscreen gaming is always the controls though. Action games with a virtual touchpads never seem to work for me because there is no physical feedback. Then other games that require quick selection, I find my hand blocking the screen so I can't really see what I'm doing.

What games have people played that people felt worked really well with touchscreen controls?

FTL (which is in your sig) apparently works great on the iPad. Hearthstone is coming soon. There are a bunch of decent Diablo clones, too. Think along those lines - point and click rather than action games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

FTL (which is in your sig) apparently works great on the iPad. Hearthstone is coming soon. There are a bunch of decent Diablo clones, too. Think along those lines - point and click rather than action games.

Yeah I always thought ftl would work well. I wish it was on android. Great game for the commute. I've been thinking turn based strategy games or maybe something with set menu buttons would work best. Something like xcom.

steam_sig.png