As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA comic] Monday, April 14, 2014 - The Dungeon Mistress, Part Three

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Tube on

• Kitsy MirthKitsy Mirth Registered User new member
    at least it was a free action...

• AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    >PICK UP BABY
    You are now the sole guardian of the child of the illfated mother. I hope you can treat it better than she--
    >DROP BABY
    Goddamn it, Galahad. Don't drop the baby, it's bad for it.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    throwbaby.png

• Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    Wow TEN second rule? We only get 5 in the UK, I guess everything really is bigger in the US :p.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    You know, I didn't feel old until I realized that's Galahad.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/07/13

Almost 9 years.

• RottonappleRottonapple Registered User regular
    why would a priest have a 2H maul? or am I stuck in WoW class restrictions?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I have it on good authority that the ten-second rule does not apply to babies.
    At least according to the mother.
    I guess she isn't in a position to object here though, so carry on.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

The better to smite the unbelievers of course

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Good GM. Pick out the player's mistake, give them a chance to catch themselves, then roll with it. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »

Almost 9 years.

"You know the rule. No boys until you're married."

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

In Dungeons and Dragons traditionally the divine healer class is capable of using most bludgeoning melee weapons.

• AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »

Almost 9 years.

Oh, so that's why he seemed familiar. I will always remember Tycho's exceedingly disturbed face.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Good GM. Pick out the player's mistake, give them a chance to catch themselves, then roll with it. :D

Funnily enough, I thought the opposite. Bad GM. Trying to catch players in the gap between their knowledge and the knowledge of their character. A player might forget they are holding a baby, but the priest wouldn't. The GM should help the players remember what their characters would know.

Great GMing for making funny comics though.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Is there a reason why this thread isn't labeled "[pa comic] Monday, April 14, 2014 - The Dungeon Mistress, Part Three"? Is it because Tycho's talking points are too politically incorrect for his company's forums?

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    hsu wrote: »
    Is there a reason why this thread isn't labeled "[pa comic] Monday, April 14, 2014 - The Dungeon Mistress, Part Three"? Is it because Tycho's talking points are too politically incorrect for his company's forums?

You are an idiot.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Funnily enough, I thought the opposite. Bad GM. Trying to catch players in the gap between their knowledge and the knowledge of their character. A player might forget they are holding a baby, but the priest wouldn't. The GM should help the players remember what their characters would know.

You know, on thinking about this I would actually have done the same thing. I would have allowed him (or another player) to catch the mistake (by mistake I mean "Dropped Baby") - but it certainly would have been both funny enough and harmless enough (assuming the DC for catching it wasn't high) to justify doing that.

If it makes a memorable worthwhile moment that people are going to take away from the table for years to come afterwards, I don't think there is severe harm in doing it (so long as you aren't doing it to derail the entire plot and make things impossible for the players deliberately - Which she isn't).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Rex HondoRex Hondo Registered User new member
    klemming wrote: »

It traditionally only applies to food items.

Is... Is Cyn going to try to eat the baby? :s

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Rex Hondo wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

It traditionally only applies to food items.

Is... Is Cyn going to try to eat the baby? :s
    The Ten Second Rule is as accurate for babies as it is for food.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I think it is good GM'ing. Reminding the player of something that they may not realize would be a restriction, but not outright saying it. The player can decide what it is they want to do and the GM runs with it.

In this case, obviously the player didn't pick up on it and the GM had to rol with it (i.e. drop the baby). Most of the time I find my players will realize the hint ("Oh yeah, one of my arms is holding a baby!") and will adjust accordingly ("I grab a nearby chair and swing it!"). I feel this encourages players thinking outside of the box as well as better roleplaying.

The scene as is works pretty well, too. The priest, in the heat of battle, momentarily forgets the baby and drops it to draw his maul and attack. One of his allies catches the baby and then, from now on, constantly teases the priest over dropping the baby. Makes the scene pretty entertaining and lends to some fun inter party interactions.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    at least it was a free action...

Whew. I rushed here to make sure that some mention of dropping babies being a free action was made. Glad someone beat me to it. :P

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Talyn Rahl wrote: »
    Wow TEN second rule? We only get 5 in the UK, I guess everything really is bigger in the US :p.
    I'm in the U.S. and I grew up with the 5 second rule. 10 must be some sort of hipster west coast thing.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I always followed the 5000 second rule myself.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    This is a take off of the Acquisitions Inc. game where MIke had Jim dual wield while hanging on a rope.(over a pit of acid)