ND Makes Art or Gets BANNED - Updated with Sketches 4/14

2»

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    *puts away her ceremonial ban hammer and nods approvingly*

NightDragon
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Haha....thanks @Kallisti. These were ~10 minutes each though, and I really didn't feel like I was at the top of my game with 'em. I was so tired. I feel like the last two deadlines' worth of work wasn't up to par, for me...but I feel refreshed and like I can hit the ground running again with these updates. :)

I'm also thinking about changing the days I have deadlines...sometimes the day-of-the-week that I've chosen makes it kind of difficult for me to update (or I don't get the full day), due to travel. We'll see. I

I'm excited for March though. And the 4th week of this month. And this week. Gestures are not my forté, and I struggled a bit with them, but I know they're important. Hands and feet and face studies will be a lot more enjoyable for me, I think...even if there's some frustration. :)

[edit] Oh, and thank you @Iruka for being so understanding. :3

NightDragon on
  • kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    This might not be an option for you, Night, but Watts Atelier is supposedly launching an online Quicksketch class on the 21st of this month. You could sign up for a month or so and then just cancel the membership when you feel you've learned the bulk of it. The instruction material (pdf) that you get with each class is yours to keep, and I do think you'd get a lot out of it. I've no clue how much you'd be out of pocket, but I think 99 bucks covers a full month.

I've got an old pdf lying around that helped me understand more about what to go for in gestures, I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

kevindee on
    NightDragon
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    that assassin lady with the high collar and the shaved sides of the head is fucking awesome

because the idea that she gives so few shits shes just like YEAH I WEAR THIS FKIN RUFF WHILE STABBING DUDES WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT

would watch the show

obF2Wuw.png
    NightDragon
    Haha thank you, @surrealitycheck! :P I like drawing badass ladies.

February- Week 3

20 hands 'n' 10 feet! Spent more time on the assignment this week and felt like I actually learned a... handful (ololol).

Also, feet are weird.

Feb22_HandsFeet.jpg

Feb22_HandsFeet2.jpg

surrealitycheckChicoBluemageormikem3naceIrukaalltheolivetransatlanticalientynicPierceNeckProspicienceToasticusForbe!Elvenshae
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    abort abort abort what are toes even

^agreed

obF2Wuw.png
    NightDragontynic
    Just for the sake of transparency, I'm letting ya'll know that I changed the deadlines for the remaining weeks (including this one).

Initially, I had all the deadlines fit into each month...which was difficult, because not every month is a perfect 4 weeks, or ends/begins on the same days of the week. Fridays are actually pretty difficult for me to do updates on, but I included them in my first write-up anyhow. This has been kinda problematic for me and not allowed me to give a full 7 days to each update.

I've changed the remaining deadlines to Mondays! This will allow me the full 7 days for every update, instead of 6 or 7 or 8 or whathaveyou, and will allow me the uninterrupted weekend to get a solid bout of work done. Also, hopefully I will not forget updates from now on. :P Woo!

March- Week 1
    -
    Eight faces. Mehhhh.

I should draw through a few sets of eyes, noses and mouths at some point.

March3_Faces.jpg

IrukamageormiketynicKallistiBegforrain
    Hey, I'm working on faces too! You should post these and the hands in the anatomy enrichment, cause why the fuck not?

They look great! I feel like you are loosening up. I'm quite excited for the character in environment coming up. I hope you keep the thread going even after your deadlines, It been awesome to see a steady stream of your work.

NightDragon
    Shanks Iruka! :3

I'm also excited for it. And yes, I'm definitely going to keep the thread going after March, I've decided. I'm mulling over the idea of not having strict deliverables or strict deadlines, but still updating with something on a somewhat weekly basis.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    that old man is so grumpy! I love it.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    In almost every single face the (their) left eye is lower than the other one. It looks like you have a bias there - are you left-handed, cause I have that happen to me all the time too.

• BegforrainBegforrain Registered User regular
    Great mix of faces! I always seem to have trouble nailing a likeness in a quick sketch, but these are all super distinguishable.

edited March 2014
    kevindee wrote: »
    In almost every single face the (their) left eye is lower than the other one. It looks like you have a bias there - are you left-handed, cause I have that happen to me all the time too.

At first I was like, "...what?" and then I looked at my sketches, and you're right! Weird. I checked against the references I used though, and it looks like most of those were a coincidence (and genuinely had eyes lower on that side), or their eyes seemed a bit lower on the right because their faces were tilted slightly. The only ones that didn't have that in the ref's (and had unintentional eye placement) was the woman on the middle right, and the woman on the top right.

Good catch! I'm actually right-handed, but maybe that's something I'll have to watch out for now. :P

NightDragon on
    edited March 2014
    So, unfortunately, I will not be able to update tonight. This past week Real Life hit me like a ton of bricks and I suddenly needed to take care of no fewer than 5,000 errands, immediately, while my neighbors decided it was also a good week to prevent me from sleeping. This week will likely be more of the same across the board, and I don't want to rush the assignment and set myself up for a poorly-designed piece.

I'm going to have to push everything a week...possibly two, but I'll try for just a week, for now. @Iruka can ban me and if so, I will post in 2 weeks with either composition thumbs, or thumbs and lineart, depending on how things go.

Apologies! I really wanted to update tonight but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. I still really want to do the piece but considering everything I have to get done, Real Life will have to take priority for a little bit over Art Life. :3

[edit] oh crepe, actually, maybe don't ban me just yet...? I just realized that one of my time-consuming things I have to do is plan an itinerary through Ireland this summer, and I won't be able to post in my H/A thread if I'm ban't...D:

NightDragon on
    I will devise a punishment that you will endure for two weeks that will not require banning, so that you can use H/A. Consider yourself lucky.

I will think of the punishment and deploy it sometime tonight.

NightDragonbombardier
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    I will devise a punishment that you will endure for two weeks that will not require banning, so that you can use H/A. Consider yourself lucky.

I will think of the punishment and deploy it sometime tonight.

Force her to "find merit" in 20 different Deviant Art Anime Fan art. She must prove it by linking her positive comments. At least 5 of those Fan Arts must depict pregnant versions of existing non pregnant anime characters, 5 must show characters in relationships that are not currently in relationships, 5 must show characters from more than 1 show interacting with each other, 5 must be a character dressed up as another character from another show and or a pony.

NightDragon
    I will devise my own punishment, thank you. Plus that would punish us all, and that's rather unnecessary.

aww

@bebarce that is hilarious, so I awesomed it, but...

I also hate you. Just, ya know, FYI.

All of the hate.

I have graduated ND from Buttversity. She has gained the butt badge.

Her avatar and sig will be butt-ness for two weeks, but let it be known, that butt badges are FOREVER.

tynicAngel_of_BaconKallistiDversedbebarceProspicienceNightDragonBroloSkeithmageormikeNatri
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Ow dang. Butts!

Oh man. OH MAN.

This is hilarious and will have the side-effect of me not wanting to post as much. How effective! An appropriate punishment. I accept and hide in shame.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Now I'm just burning with curiosity about what happens if the same thing happens next week. Where can the punishment go from here?

Because you look at that butt, and you think, 'how much more butt can it be?'... and the answer is none, none more butt.

NightDragon
    that's a mighty fine budunkamug

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Now I'm just burning with curiosity about what happens if the same thing happens next week. Where can the punishment go from here?

Because you look at that butt, and you think, 'how much more butt can it be?'... and the answer is none, none more butt.
    Quantum butts? Laser butts?
    So much butt it could be.
    But alas,
    'tis the butts of butts indeed.

Might have to go two weeks, remember!

The rest of this week will likely be Balls, but I might have some time this weekend. Maybe.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

Might have to go two weeks, remember!

The rest of this week will likely be Balls, but I might have some time this weekend. Maybe.

Well I think I know what the punishment should be!

D:

Shouldn't there be some shit in here, today?

....uh
    I'm awful. I'll get them done ASAP, tomorrow or sometime in the next few days. I have had a hard time putting myself back into the Art mentality, but I want to get them done.
    I am very much a butt. :C

Since you aren't really using H/A anymore, You better get some stick figures up in here or you are gonna get butt-banned. I have a friend coming into town Thursday morning, so, lets try for some scratches on paper before then.

I will have updoots before then!

This has really been the worst art-block I've experienced in a long time. I can't even land on an idea that I want to do, and I've been thinking about it for weeks. I'll sit down at the computer, browse inspiration, try to sketch ideas, read through my list of character ideas and environment ideas, and I. Can't. Land. on. Anything.

I did a couple of comps but they're awful and rushed, and I really, really don't want to rush myself into finishing something I feel nothing towards. You've been really understanding and helpful @Iruka, but maybe I really do just need to take a ban break. :\

Sorry guys. :C I don't know what's up with my brain.

edited March 2014
    Nightdragon is now taking a butt-break to recollect her thoughts. She shall be allowed return on Monday.

Iruka on
    edited April 2014
    AAAAAAAAAAAAND we're back.

I added the month of April, and made the updates generic so I wouldn't stress out as much (and because sometimes linework and thumbnails have taken me time that doesn't fit into even week-long segments). Ideally I'm hoping to end up with something really polished-looking, but because I'm not 100% sure how long that will take me (or even what subject I'm picking), I'm going to give myself some leeway to continue into next month a bit if I need to. That being said, my current plan is to have something at least partially rendered by the end of this month. Total timeline for this next piece will be anywhere from 4 weeks to roughly 6 weeks, I'm thinking.

I'm feeling a lot better this week, so I'm prepared to violently throw myself back on the wagon. Here we goooooo~

NightDragon on
    tynictapeslinger
    edited April 2014
    I will update with something or things tonight. Maybe not before 11:59pm but anytime tonight before I go to sleep is "Monday Night" as far as I am concerned.

ART LIFE.

[edit] Had to handle a sudden friend situation for a number of hours tonight...but that's over now!

I landed on a prompt, finally! I wanted something really different than what I've done before...so I'm going to draw either an Armored Dwarven Warrior or an Armored Old Warrior. Possibly action shot-y. Heavy armor. All the action. All the drama. Outdoors, not sure of the environment yet. Maybe snowy/icy? It might seem silly but the last two really rendered things I've done had very warm palettes, so I'd like to change that up and create something with a cooler palette. Thumbs forthcoming.

NightDragon on
    First of the thumbs/sketches. I played around with some ideas and they're helping somewhat but I'm still not super happy with any of these compositionally. I really only did a few takes on two main ideas, though, so that's to be expected. Did a few additional sketches on paper but I'm going to do some more of these until I actually feel excited about the piece.

April14_Sketches.jpg

IrukaSMYmageormike