As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pin budget for East

AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
We're now 1 week away from the big event. Do any of you guys have a budget or upper limit you are going to spend on pins at East? I've tried to work it out in my head, figuring at least 2, maybe 4, of each pin, and then my head explodes. $300? $500? Just keep swiping your card until it gets declined?

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Since NHH owes me a Pin-debt from Prime (kind of like a Wookie life-debt) I will just be helping out on the purchase Pins. I think 2 Sets from Merch plus enough to get it to $99, so $100. $200 at the Behemoth booth, possibly $300 if I pull a lot of duplicates rather than the new stuff. That should get enough out so that we have the 3 full Behemoth Sets. Extras will be trade fodder.

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    mine is 500 in just swag.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    $45 at PAX official, $35 behemoth $30 for others... Go small or go home

• Options
    GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    If you got lucky at behemoth and you only bought one of each set/pin its 105.00 dollars (30.00 - East core, 15.00 - Anniversary pin, 40.00 - 4x Bandland pins, 20.00 - 4x "New" Behemoth pins). I plan on getting two of each so 210.00 :( soo much money lol.

• Options
    Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    PAX East 2014 Set x 2 $60.00
    PAX East 10th Anniversary Pin x 2 $30.00
    Scarf $25.00 (Merch 2014 Pin #1)

????? $10.00 (Merch 2014 Pin #2)

????? $10.00 (Merch 2014 Pin #3)

Ellie x 3 $45.00
    MC Frontalot x 3 $30.00
    The Behemoth x 40 $200.00
    Table Titans x 3 $45.00
    Broodhollow x 3 $30.00
    Camp Weedonwantcha x 3 $30

Which adds up to $695.00 (Minimum), more if the Bandland Pins are more than $10 each, I figured Val might be $15 just because I don't know. I'm not sure of the exact price on all of these, if anyone knows the prices for sure, please share!

So... multiple that by two... $1400!

Konig Wolf on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    You guys are innnnnnnnsane.

2x East Core
    2x Pax Ann.
    (1x Merch)
    7x Behemoth
    1x Broodhollow
    1x KI Fightstixk
    1x Last of Us (maybe)

That is maybe $145 or so. No way am I getting every pin and 2,000 extra. I might attempt for the free ones if I feel like wasting time.

I might be tempted to get a few extra East sets for later down the road.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Konig Wolf wrote: »

Ellie x 3 $45.00
    MC Frontalot x 3 $30.00
    Table Titans x 3 $45.00
    Broodhollow x 3 $30.00

Which adds up to $695.00 (Minimum), more if the Bandland Pins are more than $10 each, I figured Val might be $15 just because I don't know. I'm not sure of the exact price on all of these, if anyone knows the prices for sure, please share!

I was under the impression that the Table Titans pin was a kickstarter exclusive.
    It's the only reason I pledged as high as I did.
    If I could have just gotten it for $15 at the booth I never would have put in such a high pledge.
    I have to say I'm going to be pretty upset if I just spent so much more money for that pin than I needed to.

As for my budget...
    I have to get stuff for my group, so I believe I'm getting a minimum of 6 sets of everything I can get my hands on so we all have at least 1 for our collection and 1 for trade.
    I can't even begin to calculate what I'll likely spend

Mot Buchanan on
  • Options
    KurpavKurpav Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that the Table Titans pin was a kickstarter exclusive.
    If I could have just gotten it for $15 at the booth I never would have put in such a high pledge.
    I have to say I'm going to be pretty upset if I just spent so much more money for that pin than I needed to.

We don't know what the price will be, but yes, Scott has said that the pin will be at the booth until it sells out. We can assume going forward, that any non-PA kickstarter pins' will total at least 1000.

On the Hunt: Star Trek, Gold Overwatch, Glitch
    Check 'em: My Pins!
  • Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular

Ellie x 3 $45.00
    MC Frontalot x 3 $30.00
    Table Titans x 3 $45.00
    Broodhollow x 3 $30.00

As for my budget...
    I have to get stuff for my group, so I believe I'm getting a minimum of 6 sets of everything I can get my hands on so we all have at least 1 for our collection and 1 for trade.
    I can't even begin to calculate what I'll likely spend

Since there were so many questions on how many pins they had to order I specifically ask 300 or 1000 and they confirmed 1000 about a week ago.

Also, remember you can always lower your pledge on the Kickstarter.

• Options
    Kurpav wrote: »

We don't know what the price will be, but yes, Scott has said that the pin will be at the booth until it sells out. We can assume going forward, that any non-PA kickstarter pins' will total at least 1000.

I just don't know if it's worth pledging $100 to the kickstarter for that pin... I don't care about special cover treatment and a print... I just want the book and the pin. I already dropped my pledge amount when I saw what the beholder dice bag looked like...
    I'm tempted to try my luck at the booth or with a trade.

• Options
    If youre worried about being able to get them at east and i wouldnt. With 1000 I doubt they will sell out honestly.

• Options
    Really? I was hearing stories about how quick the pins moved at Prime.
    I feel like it's going to be hard to get these low run pins like the 10th anniversary and stuff because people are going to buy multiple.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Really? I was hearing stories about how quick the pins moved at Prime.
    I feel like it's going to be hard to get these low run pins like the 10th anniversary and stuff because people are going to buy multiple.

The only pin I think that sold out was Skull Fart, right? Chainsawsuit is STILL available, and Pigglesworth was available after PAX for at least a few days iirc. Stripsearch is a different monster, but maybe Katie will have some at East. (will any other StripSearchers be there?)

• Options
    madorukmadoruk WA, USARegistered User regular
    Stripsearch is a different monster, but maybe Katie will have some at East. (will any other StripSearchers be there?)

At ECCC last weekend, both Amy and Erika had pins for sale on Friday. I did not notice any of the others (Abby, Katie, Mackensize, Tavis) selling but they might be saving them for East. I purchased one from Amy during the last few hours of the show on Sunday and she still had a few left, so I assume she will have some. I see Amy, Maki and Tavis will also be at East. Not sure if anyone else.

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    You guys are innnnnnnnsane.

That's probably true. Pretty much the only reason I'm going to PAX East is to collect pins (from Seattle).

Merch Booth - $200
    Vending Machines - $200
    Bandland + Ellie - $100

I'm not in a group, so I want to get extra stuff to trade for whatever's gonna be at Aus.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I mean, I am fine with you guys being insane. It is your money. Plus, with more forum folks getting multiples of pins, I can just trade for stuff I might want if I don't get them at East (or other shows).

I say all of this until next Friday when all bets are off. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll probably be dropping $300 on pins at East.

• Options
    AjaxonAjaxon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Now that East is done and gone: Did you stick to your budget? I know my wallet emptied far quicker than I care to admit.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I think my total cash spent on pins was $435. But a chunk of that was for my pin pals too.

Edit: I forgot the Behemoth pins.

Clix on
  • Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ajaxon wrote: »
    Now that East is done and gone: Did you stick to your budget? I know my wallet emptied far quicker than I care to admit.

I spent less at Behemoth because they raised the price from $5 to $10 each. Most of the Bandland purchasable ones were $15 instead of $10, so that was a little more than I had thought it would be. Overall, I guess I'm a little under budget.

PAX East Sets - 120
    10th Anniversary - 60
    Vending Machines - 140
    Ellie - 30
    MC Frontalot - 20
    Kris Straub - 30
    Katie Rice - 30
    Scott Kurtz - 15

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Did I stick to the budget? Nope. Did I stick to the secret budget? Nope.

I didn't expect to, really. There is always more there that I want than I first thought of. I got a lot of sketches this time, and bought the PATV DVDs.

• Options
    akl3inakl3in Registered User regular
    $50 on behemoth pins on Sunday... Ended the day with 2014 PAX logo pin, broodax Gabe, Helmet Tycho, Behemoth Chicken Logo, and gold Starfish. Pretty great!

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I didn't have a set budget going into it, but if I had, I'd definitely have gone over it.

• Options
    vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    Ouch, it's disappointing to hear that pins from The Behemoth have doubled in price since Prime.

55ymlH2.png
  • Options
    vid wrote: »
    Ouch, it's disappointing to hear that pins from The Behemoth have doubled in price since Prime.

They said that they were basically making nothing on them at Prime. They also said that they felt like they were undercutting other companies trying to sell pins(which could be true if they did care about that) so they raised it to $10.

• Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    They were still the cheapest, since all the other third parties went up from $10 to $15.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Behemoth reps said the price hike was enforced by PA, mainly because they were they cheapest way to get a mass amount of pins. With the price at $10 each, you can either get 3 Behemoth pins or buy one of the sets from the merch booth getting 4 pins for $30. Keep in mind this is only from the reps I talked to, but it does make sense for new pin collectors.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • Options
    Diffusion wrote: »
    Behemoth reps said the price hike was enforced by PA...

This is what I heard from somebody on the expo hall floor too. If it's true I think it's a pretty lame move by PA, but who knows?

• Options
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Diffusion wrote: »
    Behemoth reps said the price hike was enforced by PA...

This is what I heard from somebody on the expo hall floor too. If it's true I think it's a pretty lame move by PA, but who knows?

Honestly it could have been a combination of the two. One thing that we need to prepare for is the more popular these pins get, the more expensive the vendors may sale them for. Not saying that it will happen…but it is always a possibility. The pins at Prime that you could buy were all $10 or less. The pins at East were 10-$25, and most vendors were $15 instead of $10. My point being that we still bought the pins we had to.

The more popular this gets, the easier it will be for vendors to raise the price on us.

Just a potential look into the future..

• Options
    odinson83odinson83 CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Everyone has to understand that there will be an inflation in prices every year. Also it is still new, the last 3 Pax's with pins was a test to see just how successful pin trading would get. Its also just the nature of our economy.

While I don't like prices going up myself, I understand it. The up side everyone should acknowledge, is that this make pin trading that much more real and something that will be around for a long time. It also keeps the values of pins at a decent rate.

Personally I would stop pin trading if pins were worth nothing or super easy to get. The exclusivity and difficulty in getting pins is what makes it so fun to do.

• Options
    brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

At a minimum order of 1000, these cost maybe $1.50 to produce. I believe PA would tell Behemoth to mark it up a bit to stop undercutting sales, but not that they were not making money at $5. $10 and a random purchase makes those a lot more lame going forward.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    At a minimum order of 1000, these cost maybe $1.50 to produce. $10 and a random purchase makes those a lot more lame going forward.

This is misleading in a way. I originally thought this myself, but after talking to Scott for an hour on Saturday I found it was not the case.

The pins might cost PA $1.50 to make, yes, but Scott said that PA charges a licensing fee to have the Pinny Arcade printed on the back...and he said it was a decent chunk of money. With that being said, at $10 a pin he said that they really weren't making much on the pins and that they were more for the fans that it brings in and being part of the PA trading program.
    $10 and a random purchase makes those a lot more lame going forward.

If the artists truly aren't making much money off of the pins it is their choice if they decide that the pins have to come with another sale in my opinion. Yes...it sucks in those instances if you don't want the merch, but the simple solution is to find someone who is going to buy the merch and ask if they will buy you a pin if you give them money. It is honestly no different then spending $99 to get the merch pin.

00Fayt00 on
  • Options
    The benefit to the "partners" is they either get you to their booth or to demo their product, which is their whole purpose for being there. They pay PA a licensing fee and if worst case scenario they break even on the pin, they still got you at their booth or to demo their product so maybe you buy some merch or see something that interests you. That's why the pins are worthwhile for the partners.

• Options

I meant that $10 and getting a random pin in the Behemoth machines is less fun. No problem at all with the idea of adding it on to a book sale or whatever.

I pumped a ton of cash into the Behemoth machines at Prime, and didn't care what I got since they were just a fun, cheap way to get a mitt full of pins to walk around and trade with people. At double the price, I don't think I'd do that again.

• Options
    I meant that $10 and getting a random pin in the Behemoth machines is less fun. No problem at all with the idea of adding it on to a book sale or whatever.

I pumped a ton of cash into the Behemoth machines at Prime, and didn't care what I got since they were just a fun, cheap way to get a mitt full of pins to walk around and trade with people. At double the price, I don't think I'd do that again.

You did see much less actual trading going on around the machines. There was only once that I was ask if I would trade "x" for "y" at the Behemoth machines. I do personally wish also the price hadn't gone up, but I completely understand the reasoning for it.

• Options

Totally understand the reasoning, but at $10, take out the random buy aspect is all I'm saying.

• Options

Just ran the numbers, I ended up spending $686 on Pins (used my debit card to purchase 2 MC Frontalot Pins which had a surcharge of $1), much less than anticipated. The lower amount was mainly because of The Behemoth price hike and the lower amount of new Pins they had, it made them easier to acquire and trade for I think. The bulk of my spending was at the PA Merch Booth, infact 65.59% (approximately two-thirds) of all the money spent on Pins went there.

• Options
    I don't want to admit how much I ended up spending…but…it was about 150% of what I had planned as my maximum.

• Options

Just ran the numbers, I ended up spending $686 on Pins (used my debit card to purchase 2 MC Frontalot Pins which had a surcharge of $1), much less than anticipated. The lower amount was mainly because of The Behemoth price hike and the lower amount of new Pins they had, it made them easier to acquire and trade for I think. The bulk of my spending was at the PA Merch Booth, infact 65.59% (approximately two-thirds) of all the money spent on Pins went there.

Good lord man, how many pins did you buy?

• Options
    I don't know the exact number, I could count it maybe, but I ended up giving away a lot of Pins for free.