As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    It's doing the exact same thing the Windows 8 Xbox Music app does that I brought up previously in the Windows 8 thread as not being okay.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    ...ok

edited April 2014
    Okay, fine, I'll go over this again.

Album art either just doesn't load or is pulled seemingly at random from Xbox Music. Example: Dead Beat, by Rufus Rex (which is in fact available on Xbox Music) is tagged identically to what is in their marketplace. It pulls down album art (which is correctly present in the files themselves) for The King is Dead by The Decemberists.

Album artist/name tags pulled from Xbox Music are wrong or inconsistent (I still don't know who Natalie Brown is or how we got there from Lemon Demon). Some of my Aquabats albums have half the songs as being by "The Aquabats" and the others being by "The Aquabats!" (Which means they are considered different albums and therefore, show up twice). These same music files all display correctly in iTunes and Zune, and on my Zune HD, WP7 and WP8's Music + Video hub.

Further regression: Zune properly handled multi disc albums. The Music + Video hub would interleave them (Disc 1- Song 1, Disc 2 - Song 1, 1-2, 2-2, etc..). Xbox Music doesn't even handle that. My songs are currently listed in the following order: 2-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-8, 1-9, 1-10, 1-14, 1-16, 1-17, 1-1, 2-2, and so on. This album also has the wrong art being pulled for it. Queen's Greatest Hits I & II. It has the album art for Queen Rock Montreal (Admittedly, at least they got the right band). The same files in the Windows 8 version instead just show as "Queen: Greatest Hits."

Music no longer has a live tile.

Both the Windows 8 and Windows Phone version still attempt to add/retrieve music from my cloud collection, even though the option has been disabled in their settings.

Gapless playback still isn't back yet.

Songs are recognized as coming from different versions of the same album ("The Dresden Doll"s and "The Dresden Dolls (Parental Advisory)")

Song ratings are gone

Smart playlists are gone

Sure, some of these things range from are relatively minor issues, but as a whole the music experience has been constantly regressing for no reason at all.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Switched my Verizon cell number from my Moto X back to my 8X to give 8.1 some love. Absolutely love the wallpaper functionality and the new features (notifications, auto-updating, battery and data sense, ability to pin websites as logo'd dedicated app lookalikes). Haven't spent much time with Cortana - so far, I don't see what all of the fuss is about, but I remember that it took at least a week to start to appreciate everything that Google Now did (with and without my having to ask), so I'll have to give it a lot of time.

Reviews have been super-positive, which surprised me, honestly. I love the WP aesthetic and user experience, but it's so fashionable to hate on the underdog that I didn't think the new OS would survive "these features should have been included from the start" criticism. But I'm seeing 8.0+ reviews everywhere and I'm happy to see 'em.

Here's my home screen. I looked at some pictures of 8.0 a few minutes ago and was really put off - I like the simple colors of the old look, but I don't think they hold a candle to how stylish and slick the new look is. Edit: Erm, I'll make the screencap smaller if someone'll tell me how to downsize it.

o0ljozdx4j6s.jpg

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    Just resize it in something like Paint, I suppose.

That's a slick background image - do you have a link for it?

steam_sig.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

Odd, I don't see Cortana on my ATIV S after the upgrade. Doesn't look like it does L2TP VPN either and we ain't upgrading to SSL VPN till later this year, burnnnnn.

Check to see if you have another update. I had to update twice to actually get onto WP8.1.

also, this easter egg:

BlRr7aNCUAAoHmw.jpg

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Yeah did both - the beta Cortana is US only, had to change my region. Seems neat, not a lot of use to me though. Will give it a try.

I'll probably be pretty happy with it once I figure out how to make the location-based stuff work. Configured properly, Cortana is supposed to do stuff like automatically notify you when you should leave to reach a location for an event, based on current traffic (I don't see that working outside of US currently, though).

I'm never going to talk to my phone, though.

the version of Music that shipped with 8.1 preview is apparently an old beta build from last year

• McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I'm loving 8.1 so far. It's like they lubed up my phone with delicious butter.

It did freak out on me a bit today. Screen wouldn't turn on. I held down the button until the option to turn off the phone came up. I slid up to use the phone and then the screen went off again. No response. I held the power button again and this time it started to cold boot. Put it in my pocket, checked it a minute later and it was off again. Turned it on again and its been fine since.

Was immediately disappointed that Cortana didn't have the same voice as her/its namesake. That was unrealistic of me.

It's voiced by the same actress (Jen Taylor)

but obviously by necessity, she's going to respond at times with constructed phrases that aren't going to sound as natural as spoken lines

That makes sense. Every now and then I thought it sounded like her, but with the inauthetic feel to the language, I just assumed it wasn't her and my brain was just trying to convince myself it was her.

Phone just immediately shut down on me again. Takes two attempts to boot to get past the Verizon screen. It might be an issue with the messaging app. Both times happened when I turn off the screen while still in messaging.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I don't find cortana to be as robust as Siri in terms of broad base of understanding.

I would expect Cortana to understand "what was the score last night", if I have my favorite sports team set, which I do

instead, it just sends me to Bing

However, its speech recognition is superb and I was able to give it a fairly complex reminder by voice and it nailed it, and it's audio readback was perfect as well, impressive overall

even math problems though it will Bing, which is dumb. one of the best parts of Siri was Wolfram Alpha integration. That's what Cortana needs

Jasconius on
    edited April 2014
    agreed. it's a very promising beta but has a long way to go still.

my favorite new features are by far the new keyboard and IE11. both of them are great

Dehumanized on
  • UnnDunnUnnDunn New York, NYRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I don't find cortana to be as robust as Siri in terms of broad base of understanding.

I would expect Cortana to understand "what was the score last night", if I have my favorite sports team set, which I do

instead, it just sends me to Bing

However, its speech recognition is superb and I was able to give it a fairly complex reminder by voice and it nailed it, and it's audio readback was perfect as well, impressive overall

even math problems though it will Bing, which is dumb. one of the best parts of Siri was Wolfram Alpha integration. That's what Cortana needs
    If you said "What was the [insert sports team here] score last night?" it would work.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the new keyboard is flawless. never imagined that swipe typing could be so flawless. it has a 98% success rate with me for the right word

re Cortana: I did try saying the specific team name, and it's the first time I had a missed word. Instead of "Rays" it thought "race", so I had to slow down to get it right. not bad I guess..

for spite though it does show you bing results below the box score, bastards

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Nokia Lumia 1520 arrived and I am very much in love. But...

A: needing a nano sim is crazy! Seems like every other day there's a new sim form factor. Tomorrow is a public holiday. Hualahaugaha
    B: it restored all my old deleted conversation threads. Including all my talk with all my exes. I think it's ttrying to get me murdered in my sleep.

Here's some more on that Xbox Music update that I mentioned earlier:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpmusic/xbox-music-windows-phone-81-developer-preview/0c807637-cb4c-4957-a81e-6cb86571501b
    Here is what’s coming in WP8.1 Xbox Music application update week of April 22nd.
    Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
    Cortana integration is complete and now supports playing playlists by name
    UI polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
    Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections
    Background initial sync of local and cloud content

What more to expect in the coming releases?
    Based on initial feedback we have received through developer preview forums, we continue to prioritize features you are asking for and issues impacting your experiences. Things you can expect to see over the next few bi-weekly releases include:
    Continued focus on Stability and Performance
    Live Tile integration
    Quickplay improvements, including “recent” lists
    Kids Corner Support
    UX improvements (Search result grouping, creating new Radio Stations, improved Network status messages, Blue UI language alignment, now playing improvements and more)

And here's where to go to make suggestions to the team:
    http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/category/67365-windows-phone

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So, I think I'll finally jump on the WP8 bandwagon (I'm still keeping my custom-engraved ZuneHD though, that baby's still going strong).

I'm going for an unlocked phone on the T-Mobile plan, but I have to decide between.....the Lumia 920 and the 925. Both come in black, of course.

I'm not sure if the 925's slightly better lens and slightly upgraded screen is worth half the memory (32 gb vs 16 gb) and $50 or so more. I actually prefer the robust shell of the 920 over the rather fragile aluminum of the 925, but that has a charm to it as well. I've heard some mention of a 32 GB 925, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere.

I may be the only person in the world who's not a fan of the curved edges either. It's going to be a tough decision.

Synthesis on
    Should end up with a great phone either way.

I actually like the Lumia 928's design (and xenon flash), but I can't find an unlocked GSM capable one (that's rapidly wandering into "Who knows if this'll work on your network" territory). I'm not a fan of metallic finishes, but the black metallic 925 could possibly change my mind (until I scratch it and realize I should have bought a 920).

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I actually like the Lumia 928's design (and xenon flash), but I can't find an unlocked GSM capable one (that's rapidly wandering into "Who knows if this'll work on your network" territory). I'm not a fan of metallic finishes, but the black metallic 925 could possibly change my mind (until I scratch it and realize I should have bought a 920).

The 920 I really liked mine. Its robust like a tank and really great to feel in the hand, the 925 I feel felt flimsy to hold in comparison. You could wait another few months and see if the 930 (Icon) gets a release though?

Ziggymon wrote: »

The 920 I really liked mine. Its robust like a tank and really great to feel in the hand, the 925 I feel felt flimsy to hold in comparison. You could wait another few months and see if the 930 (Icon) gets a release though?

Isn't the 930 going to be CDMA in the US though (through Verizon)? I'd need an unlocked GSM phone, whatever it was. Aesthetically, I'd rate it behind the 920 and 925, but that's only one consideration. I'd consider getting a regular 925 if it wasn't the fact that T-Mobile only offers it in shiny, unattractive white-silver, which puts it well behind a black 920 in the appearances department.

Annoyingly, the market may have made the decision for me...the 925 is still hard to get unlocked at anything resembling a reasonable price ($350US), but an unlocked 920 is easily available.

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

Isn't the 930 going to be CDMA in the US though (through Verizon)? I'd need an unlocked GSM phone, whatever it was. Aesthetically, I'd rate it behind the 920 and 925, but that's only one consideration. I'd consider getting a regular 925 if it wasn't the fact that T-Mobile only offers it in shiny, unattractive white-silver, which puts it well behind a black 920 in the appearances department.

Annoyingly, the market may have made the decision for me...the 925 is still hard to get unlocked at anything resembling a reasonable price ($350US), but an unlocked 920 is easily available.

Well the 930 is the international version of the Icon which is the Verizon handset. Id expect as the international models will be GSM unlocked, you could expect a T-Mobile version shortly after. However its a case of waiting and the probably price of handset.

The 920 is a fantastic phone its low light photography is amazing. It's built to last and has a really nice screen. You could do much worse. However with scratches the 920 can get them, I have bashed mine around a lot (white model) and did get a pretty deep scratch on the back but that would take some effort to do :)

Well the 930 is the international version of the Icon which is the Verizon handset. Id expect as the international models will be GSM unlocked, you could expect a T-Mobile version shortly after. However its a case of waiting and the probably price of handset.

"Shortly" is very much up in the air--what is guaranteed that it will be very, very pricey (though it may bring down the prices for 925s, for example). The Lumia 635 (which will actually be a T-Mobile phone) doesn't really look any better. I just really don't care for the aesthetic (it was what kept me from getting the ver affordable 521).

I haven't had any problem with scratches on the outer case of my 920, but I did pick up one of these after getting some superficial scratches on the glass.

I haven't looked at all, Synthesis -- are the unlocked 920s you're looking at compatible with tmobile's frequencies (particularly 1700/2100MHz)? Would suck to buy a phone and be stuck on 2G because it's only fully compatible with ATT.

I haven't had any problem with scratches on the outer case of my 920, but I did pick up one of these after getting some superficial scratches on the glass.

I haven't looked at all, Synthesis -- are the unlocked 920s you're looking at compatible with tmobile's frequencies (particularly 1700/2100MHz)? Would suck to buy a phone and be stuck on 2G because it's only fully compatible with ATT.

Apparently, they are, if Amazon.com's product thread is to be believed--they work with H+ (T-Mobile's take on half-assed American 4G).

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Is there a way to remove keyboard languages I will not use? Or am I forever stuck with the damn language button? Because I fucking hate that button.

Settings > Keyboard?

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2014

Actually, you asking this question makes up my mind for me...sort of.

The black unlocked Lumia 925 is only the international version, and thus, only supports T-Mobile 2G and 3G, not 4G LTE.

So I can go ahead and forget that. It seems if you want a Lumia 925 to T-Mobile network, it must be the white 16 GB model. What is it with Nokia and being so dickish about color options? If you're paying that much for a phone, you might as well be happy with how it looks.

Synthesis on
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Anyone have experience or recommendations for buying replacement digitizers for the lumias? My 820 has been going crazy with phantom touches (I press the power button and it keeps trying to click or swipe on the same area, even after doing a reset and a full restore) and I'm figuring it's the digitizer. I've read that a lot of the replacement digitizers fall apart almost instantly, so I'm a little leery of just ordering a random one off of ebay or amazon.
    (and yes, I'm out of warranty by a couple of months)

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I've got an 8.1 question for you guys. On my tablet's lock screen there is a play icon with the number 4 beside it. On Saturday it had a 2 beside it. The icon is situated under the clock to the left of the alarm notification and to the right of the battery and wifi icons. Any idea what it could be?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    I've got an 8.1 question for you guys. On my tablet's lock screen there is a play icon with the number 4 beside it. On Saturday it had a 2 beside it. The icon is situated under the clock to the left of the alarm notification and to the right of the battery and wifi icons. Any idea what it could be?

Charms > Settings > Change PC Settings > PC And Devices > Lock Screen Apps

should tell you what it is.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Thanks @Dehumanized‌. Turns out it was a notification for Hyper showing me how many new videos had been postedby the accounts I subscribe to on YouTube.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Just realized I posted Windows 8 instructions in the Windows Phone thread. Glad you found it anyways, though. :disappointed_relieved:

Just realized I posted Windows 8 instructions in the Windows Phone thread. Glad you found it anyways, though. :disappointed_relieved:
    To be fair, they did say "tablet." So they started in the wrong thread! :P

steam_sig.png
    Phone/tablet, what's the diff? :p

Phone/tablet, what's the diff? :p

For that upcoming AT&T Nokia monster, not much. Same for Samsung.