As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game of Thrones] Happy International Picnic Day

• 101101 Registered User regular
    All this season 1 talk has reminded me of my favourite part of that season.

Varys and Littlefinger

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I'd say the show dosen't really get properly started until episode 4.

And then episode 6 is the first mic drop

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Varys and Littlefinger are the best part of every season.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I'd say the show dosen't really get properly started until episode 4.

And then episode 6 is the first mic drop

Agreed. The first half or so is climbing the roller coaster.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The climb is all there is

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The mood has finally struck me to actually try and catch up on this show, having seen none of it

I've had a couple of the major surprises spoiled for me just because it's kind of impossible to not hear about them

I know that
    Sean Bean gets beheaded by the end of Season 1

At the end of Season 3 there's a wedding that doesn't go well for just about anybody

and now there's been ANOTHER wedding where that asshole kid nobody likes bites it

I'm sure there's plenty more to it beyond that stuff, but these seem to be The Big Moments on this show, am I gonna have a reduced experience knowing they're coming since I'm just watching this as any old TV show, I don't care about the books much
    I had the beheading spoiled for about three episodes before I got there. I still spent the whole episode hoping someone would stop it. It didn't reduce the experience for me at all. I think I might have been even more tense because I was hoping so badly that what I knew what about to happen wasn't going to actually happen. The show itself is completely worth watching no matter what. Your experience of it should be excellent either way.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I love how an event from season 1 is still going behind spoilers, but the big thing from two days ago is talked about openly.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My friend borrowed my season one DVD set and is maybe halfway through
    We're all at dinner last night and out of the blue she turns to me and says, okay, so khaleesi is her TITLE and not her NAME, right?

And I'm like YES THANK GOD

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think it's because Khaleesi is much easier to remember how to spell than Dan...Den...Deyn...that name she has

6F32U1X.png
    It does bother me that she hasn't learned literally anybody's name so I have to come up with descriptive phrases for all of them

It probably doesn't help that Jorah also uses the word Queen sometimes. If he exclusively said Khaleesi (Khaleeeessseeeeee), it might stick out that it's a title.

Or maybe he doesn't say Queen and I'm just imagining it. Do you ever just read things in Jorah's voice? It's pretty great.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    It does bother me that she hasn't learned literally anybody's name so I have to come up with descriptive phrases for all of them
    I've found it takes most of Season One for that, since you're introduced to like 25 people back-to-back

CYpGAPn.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    He often says princess afaik

I love how an event from season 1 is still going behind spoilers, but the big thing from two days ago is talked about openly.

I do tend to be over-careful about spoilers, especially for major things. Plus, I'm pretty knee jerk about spoiling replies to things already in spoilers. haha. This thread is, in general, pretty awful about being careful, really. As a result, I have a few random words and concepts floating around in my mind that have no context because book people threw them out randomly but they have no place in the series yet. haha

• LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    With a cast this size, I can underdstand not being able to keep up with who's who. That's true even in the books where you get everyone's name over and over: Half the characters in the books have a descriptive title ("Littlefinger", "Halfman", "Roose the Goose") and the others have a signature phrase that they utter ("You know nothing", "cut of his manhood and feed it to the goats", "please, have more pie").

Honestly, even having read the books, I sometimes forget the names of minor characters on the show.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Varys and Littlefinger are the best part of every season.
    They're definitely my OTP.

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    The mood has finally struck me to actually try and catch up on this show, having seen none of it

I've had a couple of the major surprises spoiled for me just because it's kind of impossible to not hear about them

I know that

At the end of Season 3 there's a wedding that doesn't go well for just about anybody

and now there's been ANOTHER wedding where that asshole kid nobody likes bites it

I'm sure there's plenty more to it beyond that stuff, but these seem to be The Big Moments on this show, am I gonna have a reduced experience knowing they're coming since I'm just watching this as any old TV show, I don't care about the books much
    I had the beheading spoiled for about three episodes before I got there. I still spent the whole episode hoping someone would stop it. It didn't reduce the experience for me at all. I think I might have been even more tense because I was hoping so badly that what I knew what about to happen wasn't going to actually happen. The show itself is completely worth watching no matter what. You're experience of it should be excellent either way.

Depends on the person as to if you can still appreciate the show or not I suppose. Are you the kind of person who can watch a really well crafted movie multiple times even thought you know the plot. I would say that it will be less pronounced than that because there is still a ton of great stuff that wasnt spoiled for you...but the comparison is still apt.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

The rules for these things were always loosey goosey and arbitrary to me. If you come to a messageboard discussing a tv show and read something you havent gotten to yet, it is your own dang fault. Stay the heck out of the thread if you are behind! I wouldnt go to a sport bar after the superbowl if I had to record the game....

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
    edited April 2014
    oh jesus it's Tommy Carcetti

How many promises does he go back on out of his own vanity on THIS show

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

I know that

I had the beheading spoiled for about three episodes before I got there. I still spent the whole episode hoping someone would stop it. It didn't reduce the experience for me at all. I think I might have been even more tense because I was hoping so badly that what I knew what about to happen wasn't going to actually happen. The show itself is completely worth watching no matter what. Your experience of it should be excellent either way.

Depends on the person as to if you can still appreciate the show or not I suppose. Are you the kind of person who can watch a really well crafted movie multiple times even thought you know the plot. I would say that it will be less pronounced than that because there is still a ton of great stuff that wasnt spoiled for you...but the comparison is still apt.

I'm usually a person who hates to be spoiled. I was quite upset that I was. I think since the show is about so much more than one event or person, whereas a movie would spread your allegiance and interest in a much narrower way, it helps to alleviate the impact of even major spoilers. But yeah, it could still turn people off, I agree. I think the fact that Mr. G is interested in watching even knowing he's been spoiled makes me feel it likely that he'll still get a great experience out of it.

Don't be silly. He's the most honest man in Westeros. Trust every word he says.

I could listen to Iain Glen talk about just about anything

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

You have no idea

CYpGAPn.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular

It took me entirely too long to stop wondering when Ray Liotta popped up in GoT

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0019091/?ref_=fn_al_ch_1

I need coffee

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
    I'm actually laughing out loud whenever someone says what a good friend he is or how trustworthy he can be

I know nothing about his character other than he's played by Aidan Gillen

and you don't hire that guy to play someone totally on the level or isn't constantly stabbing people in the back

6F32U1X.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Messed up face or not, Stannis's daughter is adorable. She and Davos could be in a buddy cop movie. By the end, she teaches him how to read someone their Miranda Rights.

Text from my friend
    "I like the guy with the fucked up face"

Fuckin' A right you do

• simosimo Registered User regular
    so i've read all the books and have seen like half of season 1 back when i had a free hbo trial

now that i've got hbogo again, is it advisable to start watching live and catch up as time allows, or am i going to miss a lot of crucial show-specific development?

bugss2.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    uhhhh, there's some pretty different stuff but I guess the bulk of it you'd be able to catch up

but it's a really good show, it's worth just watching.

• simosimo Registered User regular
    yeah the only reason i'd jump right to current stuff is to be able to join in on the current season's conversation

though the only shows i'm currently watching are mad men and hannibal, i might try to blitz through the seasons in the next couple weeks

bugss2.jpg
    Marathon it.

I think it's because Khaleesi is much easier to remember how to spell than Dan...Den...Deyn...that name she has

Dany is a real mouthful yeah

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I forgot how relatively bare-bones season 1 is
    Goddamn Tywin doesn't even show up til season 2

Blankzilla wrote: »
    I've found it takes most of Season One for that, since you're introduced to like 25 people back-to-back

I was like this for The Wire.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Person I'm watching this show with found the goblet tomfoolery in the last episode hilariously interminable, when it rolled under the table she flipped out and went to go make a drink

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    I forgot how relatively bare-bones season 1 is
    Goddamn Tywin doesn't even show up til season 2

Tywin is in season 1.

Damn it, really? I guess this brain tumor is finally affecting my memory then

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Damn it, really? I guess this brain tumor is finally affecting my memory then
    Skinning the stag while talking to Jamie, foreshadowing Robert's death

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    If you were halfway through season one there wouldn't be a super amount to watch, just ten episodes a season.

Tywin's introduction in season 1 is fucking incredible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.