As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is Windows Vista worth it?

124»

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, since I may need to connect to a domain server should I ever bring the machine into work, would I then require Vista Business? I haven't exactly kept up on the OS trade lately; my current machine's still on Win2K. :V

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    XP cannot be infected with the virus.

At all.

I don't see that in the article. It doesn't make sense either.

MKR on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Back to my Vista problems (because, duh, I am the center of the universe, people :P ), I didn't get a chance to ask my boss about the RAM he put in my system. Is there any software tool I could use to get the info, or am I just going to have to wait until tomorrow?

Nightslyr on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Is there any software tool I could use to get the info, or am I just going to have to wait until tomorrow?
    Memtest86 might do it.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, since I may need to connect to a domain server should I ever bring the machine into work, would I then require Vista Business? I haven't exactly kept up on the OS trade lately; my current machine's still on Win2K. :V

Yeah, Home Basic and Premium are workgroup only. Business hits domains, and Ultimate adds that to the media center tools.

Also, isn't the Register generally considered sensationalist and full of shit?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Vista Business or Ultimate are the only ones with domain support I believe.

Snowcone on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My Vista experience, 32-bit and 64-bit, has been flawless. Everything, for the most part, has been running stable and fast. The only application that didn't like Vista was Battlefield 2142, and that was in conjunction with my X-Fi. If I used motherboard sound, it would work.

There is one little thing you should be aware of. If your games seem to build up memory and then crash, it's not really an incompatibility with Vista. The command line that was used in XP for how the application handles and allocates memory was changed to something else in Vista. You can add the new command line in yourself with a command prompt. I'll paste the instructions using Two Worlds as an example:

* (You'll need to be an Administrator)
    * Have a copy of Visual Studio C++ Express from Microsoft.
    * Start -> Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition -> Visual Studio Tools -> Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt
    * Navigate to your application directory (I'll use Two Worlds as an example).
    o If you don't know how to navigate in DOS, follow this:
    o "cd c:\Program Files\" ENTER
    o then "cd Reality Pump\Two Worlds" ENTER (Note: You can just string it together in one line)
    * "editbin.exe /LARGEADDRESSAWARE TwoWorlds.exe" ENTER. Microsoft trademark text should appear.
    * "BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072" ENTER. "Operation Completed Successfully" text should appear.
    * Make sure that your RAM + Virtual Memory total is over 3 gigs. It should be, normally.

And that fixed my memory problems with certain applications. Memory would now be handled correctly and no build up would occur.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

At all.
    OHNOES!!

Wait... my PC is fine... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE when my OS is Vista?

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

At all.
    OHNOES!!

Wait... my PC is fine... HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE when my OS is Vista?

M$ has obviously hidden it with Super Secret DRM in Vista.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I got the disk today, but I'm going to wait until I buy another hard drive so I can install both XP and Vista on the same drive, and probably until I can get a DX10 card. Service Pack 1 doesn't seem that far away, so I might as well learn the ins and outs now, and just wait for SP1 to get here.

Javen on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sorry for the bump.

Has anyone with Vista tried Switcher? Sounds like its basically Expose for Vista, which is kinda neat. I mean, built in would be great, but Vista doesn't have it.

I really want to set it up as a dual boot on this work machine sometime (its grad school and my boss basically gives me free run over everything in this lab), but we have a lot of weird equipment interfaced with this machine and I can't afford for it to go down if something breaks.

DigDug2000 on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Interesting. I don't need to multitask anymore than I already do though. :P

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Morskittar wrote: »

Yeah, Home Basic and Premium are workgroup only. Business hits domains, and Ultimate adds that to the media center tools.

Also, isn't the Register generally considered sensationalist and full of shit?

...No?

They operate from an IT base.

Vista is insecure, and very unreliable when taken as a whole. Some people don't have problems with it. Too many do.

Insecurity is bad for businesses that need to keep data safe. Which is about 100% of businesses that allow credit card payment.

Some of their stuff is a bit on the sarcastic side (see Rise of the Machines, for example.), but everything they put on that site is sourced. If you can give me an example of an article "bashing" MS without a source, or a pointer TO a source, I will happily edit this out.

EDIT: And oh COME ON. Vista is secure when it can be infected with 13 year old viruses?

Boot-sector viruses no less?

If so, I would like to sell you a hole-filled boat.

MechMantis on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you point to one virus (that doesn't even have a payload and requires you boot from an infected floppy) as proof that Vista is insecure, you're being stupid. When you take things as a whole, you get graphs like this. Or this. Now link to a real study or kindly shut your pie-hole.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.