As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game of Thrones] Happy International Picnic Day

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Tywin's introduction is incredible and he never looks back.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh Jesus of course
    I guess I was thinking that scene was during the war, thus season 2

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm doing the same thing for this show that I did for The Sopranos and The Wire

After every episode I read the Wikipedia summary to make sure I understood what happened and then the AV Club review to make sure I'm keeping up on themes

6F32U1X.png
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh Jesus of course
    The war started in season one. T'was the kidnapping of Tyrion that set it of!

Fuck off and die.
    oh jesus i absentmindedly slipped into the comments on one of the early reviews on the AV Club and kill me now

Accusations of the show being clearly and overtly racist

Calling the reviewer a slur for a homosexual because he was glad they allowed Emilia Clarke to keep her clothes on for a whole episode

6F32U1X.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You don't read comments you fool!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Oh Jesus of course
    The war started in season one. T'was the kidnapping of Tyrion that set it of!

Goddammit okay guys just put a bullet in me now because I'm too far gone and I don't want to live like this

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh jesus it's Tommy Carcetti

How many promises does he go back on out of his own vanity on THIS show

Ahahaha

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Avclub comment sections are usually better than most but they are still comment sections.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Avclub comment sections are usually better than most but they are still comment sections.

It's particularly older comment sections and specifically ones for brand new shows

Like I think there were still people coming into the comment sections on True Detective to go "this show is actually shitty you have all been fooled!!" even for the finale and you see that a lot on new shows

I expect to see a lot of that for this entire season of Fargo, people refusing to believe it's really good

6F32U1X.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Avclub comments section are usually pretty enjoyable

except for Girls

my god something about Girls brings out the truly vile male culture nerds

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Man I'm really feeling like rewatching the previous seasons now, it's been so long

need to figure out which of my friends have them on dvd

uc3ufTB.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tywin Lannister might be my favorite character in the show

He is a stone cold motherfucker but he has clear, reasonable motivations and Charles Dance is a goddamn icon

CYpGAPn.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Jamie is my favorite in the books, I hope Nikolaj keeps up his performance through this season and he might take that spot for the show too.

CYpGAPn.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I mean part of it is just because it's Natalie Dorner and.... Natalie Dorner! But Margery Tyrell is so much more awesome and fleshed out in this show than the was in the books, and I really like her in the show

Khavall on
    okay "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things" is a really good title for an episode

I would read a book called that

6F32U1X.png
  • KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Watching some old episodes. On season 1 episode 1. Holy shit there's some foreshadowing. Ned and friends come across a dead stag in the woods and Theon asks if it was a mountain lion that did it.

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Watching some old episodes. On season 1 episode 1. Holy shit there's some foreshadowing. Ned and friends come across a dead stag in the woods and Theon asks if it was a mountain lion that did it.

Don't forget the stag antler in its throat.

[IMG][/img]
    The books have that foreshadowing but like times a thousand

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular

they basically walk across a scene that might as well have a wooden sign that says THIS IS AN OMEN

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

It makes sense that they didn't film all of it, but I'm still disappointed so much stuff got cut from The House of the Undying.

[IMG][/img]
    I'm curious how they do a lot of the backgrounds and establishing shots on this show

Like now Tyrion's in this rad prison tower and I'm sure they didn't actually build this set

Do they generally do CG, matte paintings, or models

My brain says CG but my heart says models cause models are rad

6F32U1X.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The mood has finally struck me to actually try and catch up on this show, having seen none of it

I've had a couple of the major surprises spoiled for me just because it's kind of impossible to not hear about them

I know that
    Sean Bean gets beheaded by the end of Season 1

At the end of Season 3 there's a wedding that doesn't go well for just about anybody

and now there's been ANOTHER wedding where that asshole kid nobody likes bites it

I'm sure there's plenty more to it beyond that stuff, but these seem to be The Big Moments on this show, am I gonna have a reduced experience knowing they're coming since I'm just watching this as any old TV show, I don't care about the books much

I've just started watching it too. Up to episode 8 now.
    I thought Sean Bean died at the end of the first episode.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I'm curious how they do a lot of the backgrounds and establishing shots on this show

Like now Tyrion's in this rad prison tower and I'm sure they didn't actually build this set

Do they generally do CG, matte paintings, or models

My brain says CG but my heart says models cause models are rad

The latest issue of Cinefex has a huge writeup about the visual effects in Game of Thrones, unfortunately I haven't had time to read it yet, but it goes through all the seasons so far.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    oh jesus it's Tommy Carcetti

How many promises does he go back on out of his own vanity on THIS show

Don't be silly. He's the most honest man in Westeros. Trust every word he says.

tumblr_mjh7w1XANy1rxflgko2_500.gif

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jamie...

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I take it my reaction when they say the name of the show in an episode was not supposed to be me going "UGH"

I don't think there's a way to talk about "the game of thrones" without sounding ultra corny

6F32U1X.png
    in the game of thrones you either cliche or you die

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    in the song of ice and fire you either hear about cold things and hot things or you have not been listening very closely

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    In the storm of swords, you should probably stay indoors because I don't think that umbrella is going to be as useful as you seem to think it will be, Dennis

man a lot of bad stuff on this show could be avoided if they just decided to invent cellphones

6F32U1X.png
    communication, in any relationship, is key. Especially with your secret whore, though. That one is pretty crucial.

You could just call up a dude and go "hey don't kill that lady we told you to kill" and now you don't have this crazy war on your hands

6F32U1X.png
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    did someone say Tywin's introduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU
    I would follow his banner into hell 8->

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    2ZvRi8N.jpg?1

was anyone besides me thinking
    DUz1FYT.gif

I dont know what that is

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Rhianna and Selena Gomez looking very concerned while everyone around them at least pretends to enjoy Miley Cyrus

• phlegm_iiphlegm_ii Registered User regular
    All I keep thinking is, "This!? This is how that twerp dies?" I was not pleased. Grr Martin can't even kill the villains without making me sad.

At least now my wife will stop saying, "Want me to tell you what happens next?"

This discussion has been closed.