As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Stupid DMV

Tried to get an appointment to transfer the title and register my new bike, but the first appointment time they had available was after the 10 day timeframe I'm supposed to get it taken care of in

So I take time off this morning to go to the DMV. After standing in line for 45 minutes, I had barely moved forward at all and wasn't even inside the DMV yet, where in there was more line just to get to the counter so they can give you a number for you to wait even more.

So I thought I would come back in the afternoon. Nope, the line was even longer. And it was raining!

Fortunately I found out we have an in at the DMV at work, they told me to come back on Thursday as they say Thursdays are always the least busy.

Fingers crossed Thursday will actually be better, I can't afford to be taking time off at work

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    The youtube of the Lambo Aventador crashing yesterday led me to the discovery of this goddamned masterpiece

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Aventador#Veneno

I WILL DO ANYTHING TO OWN THIS CAR LITERALLY ANYTHING

there is no angle from which this car does not look superb

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    All you need to do is rustle up USD$4.25 million, and convince one of the three collectors that bought one to sell theirs to you.

Easy!

All you need to do is rustle up USD$4.25 million, and convince one of the three collectors that bought one to sell theirs to you.

Easy!

i will convince them by beating them with the sack full of money

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    These would probably be close enough, right?

http://www.bodykits.com/Body-Kits-Conversions/Lambo-Doors/

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    That car literally looks like Starscream and I must have it

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    For some terrible reason you can't pay title transfer fees with a credit card

So I had to borrow $200 from my boss and now I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pay him back

ipsesignew.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Cash withdrawal from your credit card.

Yeah my cash interest rate is something like 20%

I think I will maybe borrow from another friend who will let me take a little longer to pay him back then ask my parents for cash for my birthday

ipsesignew.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    A big ol' piece of asphalt got thrown up by a semi that was next to me on the highway. Got a nice big divot in my windshield now.

I was on the highway because I was transporting my grandmother to her radiation therapy. This is what happens when I try to do something nice.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    A big ol' piece of asphalt got thrown up by a semi that was next to me on the highway. Got a nice big divot in my windshield now.

I was on the highway because I was transporting my grandmother to her radiation therapy. This is what happens when I try to do something nice.

Yeesh, imagine how bad it woulda been if you were doing something nasty!

The whole truck probably would have come through the windshield if I was doing anything else.

Luckily it's not huuuuge so it should be repairable. Just an inconvenience really, unless it develops into a bigger crack before the glass people can get to it.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Oh my god this is for sale in my area

http://imgur.com/a/HYd83

2007 STi with 2.5 RS coupe body.

Fap_Guy_Meme.png

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    In case you don't know (I didn't until recently!): many/most (all?) insurance companies will pay for windshield repairs, zero deductible and no penalties, because that's a lot cheaper for them than the alternative!

Steam ID: highentropy
    Yeah, I just learned that yesterday. Unless they have to replace the entire windshield I don't have to pay anything.

I've never seen a repaired windshield. I hope the resin isn't too noticeable.

Most windshield repairs are barely noticeable as long as the repair guy knows what he's doing

ipsesignew.jpg
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Yeah, I just learned that yesterday. Unless they have to replace the entire windshield I don't have to pay anything.

I've never seen a repaired windshield. I hope the resin isn't too noticeable.

It's actually dependent upon the insurance and state requirements. I know that in Kentucky, the state mandates that insurance pay for replacing a windshield with no cost to the insured. Here in Georgia, it depends on our insurance--we currently have a deductible of $500 for windshield replacement.

do yourself a favor and catch a replay of the bahrain gp. pretty much the best race in a while. i hope you like tire smoke

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    That's good to hear. The last two races were good but not great. Now I'm really looking forward to watching it this evening when I get home from a wedding party.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Had a chance to watch the race and it utterly fantastic. Best race from any series or championship I've seen in a long long time. I think this race will be staying on my DVR permanently for whenever I need a racing fix, especially in the off season.

it had pretty much everything. I hope this is the harbginer for the rest of the season. It can only get better once everyone else can get their horsepower up. Mercs were 2 seconds per lap faster.

They fixed my windshield this afternoon. I'm not sure if it's a whole lot better in terms of noticeably or distraction, but it certainly did fill in the whole crack.

They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if I'm not happy with it I can just pay my $250 deductible and have the whole windshield replaced. I'm leaning towards that option but I think I'm going to try to live with it for 24 or 48 hours and a wash and see what happens.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

My 2009 was actually in the original recall for this issue. I didn't have any spiders in mine, though.

Gene Haas has been granted a Formula 1 license officially... rumor is the cars will be gridded next year

the first serious American F1 team in who knows how long

I hope Gene Haas is prepared to spend hundreds of millions of dollars getting his shit pushed in.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Haas has the background for it though. He's an accounting major with a massive CNC company and privately owns one of the best wind tunnels in the world

the odds are kind of against him due to lack of factory support for the engines, but I don't expect him to be as wretched as Caterham and Marrusia are

Is he making his own engines or going to partner with someone? I don't imagine they'll have enough time to develop a competative one.

he would be insane to make his own engine

he will lease an engine I'm certain, but I don't think all leased engines are created equal. p. sure McLaren isn't getting Mercedes' best shit, in other words

i wonder what his NASCAR partnerships are doing and if he could potentially get a new factory involved in engines

Yea, the customer spec engines are likely not going to be the very latest ones, but the engine teams still want to sell good engines so they can claim their customer team wins as their own. They're pretty closely spec'd really. Merc's other advantage is that they can develop the chassis and the engine together so they are perfectly suited for each other.

I think I read he'll likely use Ferrari engines and technology in a Dallara chassis with a European base near Maranello.

Let's get a car made of this shit

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/bend-it-charge-it-dunk-it-graphene-the-material-of-tomorrow/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=technology&_r=2&
    The American Chemical Society said in 2012 that graphene was discovered to be 200 times stronger than steel and so thin that a single ounce of it could cover 28 football fields. Chinese scientists have created a graphene aerogel, an ultralight material derived from a gel, that is one-seventh the weight of air. A cubic inch of the material could balance on one blade of grass.

It's too pliable! It's be like making a car entirely out of silicon rubber.

well yeah but aluminum foil is very pliable too. however when you thicken it up it firms up

I haven't read anything definitive on what happens when you make this stuff even a few millimeters thick. Right now its all about how tiny they can make it

Well the article says it's hard as fuck, but that's just a single attribute. How is it for brittleness? Tensile strength? Bending fatigue?

http://m.wsbt.com/highspeed-chase-from-kalamazoo-to-berrien-county/25496518

So that happened in my neck of the woods today, I live in the town where the chase ended. I can't believe that a Mercury Sable made it that far without being stopped.

if it didn't mean going to jail I would fucking delight in a police chase

i want everything in the world to dominate those old ass crown vics

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    they still use crown vics in your area? here it's all mustangs and chargers

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    the fleet is still about 70% crown vic here yeah

I think basically every foot soldier gets a crown vic and the higher ranks get a Charger or there's some Chevy Malibu offshoot too

No Mustangs at all, that would be cool though

This discussion has been closed.