As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014: Discussions, Photos, Pins!

2»

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Completed my East 14 collection today at the live D&D game! Just need gabe and tycho Aus to complete my set(don't count DLC since it's like Noah waiting on the unicorns). I think it was even more fun helping other people complete their pin hunt with my extra prime pins than hunting for my own!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    From my experience, hide your limited edition pins. If people see them, they won't let it go and you will surely lose out on a trade.

I have my two Hannas and 15 Anniversary on my front case page and all I wanted was to maybe swap a behemoth pin (I wanted the pink knight).

Once people saw the Hanna, they held onto it and wanted to do like 2 or 3 for her. *sigh*

Oh well. Successful pin PAX. Can't wait for next year (or even prime/Aus sets).

Throughout the weekend, I'm sure I had 3-4 Anubis and Project Spark pins (most traded at the trade event).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DefaultGenDefaultGen Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well there is an 'enforcer' pin of sorts, that is the pinny arcade logo pin (small, silver and round one) But only select few enforcers carry them

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I kicked ass IMO and got all but 3 pins for my pin pal, so hopefully she'll have a chance to get those...

I managed to nab all of the East 2014 pins (was I the first?) by Saturday which was amazing, I went into Saturday only needing D&D and Garruk.

I saw Skull Fart at Scott's booth and nearly shit myself, then got a little mad when it was $25 but I still grabbed one.

I finished my Behemoth sets, spent $80 and between trading/buying I got them all for me and the pin pal. Very thankful there. I then spent $40 more to get the last 2 Set 1 pins I needed and I got them on the first 2... but then just used the spares to trade with staff, so no harm there.

Got 2 Stripsearch pins over the weekend (one from Jerry and one from Katie)
    Got an Aus Tycho from Jerry as well
    Got a spare Prime 2013 set
    Got an extra Handheld Lounge Gabe
    Played middleman for a few trades to help people out
    Helped someone on the forums (sorry I forgot a lot of people's names) get his Khoo pin (you're welcome :D)
    Got TONS of offers for my Aus Kemper, I almost felt bad having it on my lanyard... but I needed something to brag about.

tldr; I had an amazing time trading/pin hunting this weekend, and met a lot of cool people (and I seemed to run into the same people all the time which was great to see how people were doing).

• VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the enforcers aren't part of the staff and don't have to accept any trade offer. But it's too bad they gave you a hard time about it.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
    I saw an enforcer with the DLC pin but he was having none of me. Ha.

I still don't understand people wearing pins they won't trade.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I saw an enforcer with the DLC pin but he was having none of me. Ha.

I still don't understand people wearing pins they won't trade.
    to get an equal trade for the dlc you would need to trade an east 13 set an aus 13 set and either hanna or the 15th
    as for why people don't trade things because they want to show off what they have and the dlc is a nerd ferrari

note: only pax staff and line management (when they are on shift) have to trade with you
    if i am wrong correct me but that is what i was told last year

foehammer on
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I did fairly well. My son wanted to trade as well so it got very expensive, very fast. Leeroy managed to dodge me all weekend, I never had a shot at him. Other than that I got at least one of every pin. Full report in the podcast :)

I totally understand wanting to show off your pins. wear my Aus Chandra on lanyard, and wore all of extra Prime limited have a very small list ones need complete set, so tell people that when they ask. If someone needed one the edition pins for their set I'd trade them help out. Kinda spirit if whole thing. Kind sad in rush catch didn't meet any real higher tier hardcore collectors.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    Complete set for me, plus East Set, Anniversary, Bard Rock, Garruk, and WeDontWantcha for my Pin Pals. Not too bad.

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Got most of the pins I wanted, bummed that I missed out on Broodax Gabe & the 15th anniversary pin though. :/

• DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Full set here as well, and jeebus does my bag look crazy now. Props to @SerpicoBC‌ as my partner in crime all day Friday. We somehow managed to get around 90% of all the pins we needed for ourselves and pin pals in that one day, and frankly I don't even know how either... I blame Leeroy

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • CowpuppyCowpuppy Squirrel Squad (EAST) Registered User regular
    I got two almost-full sets (not including Helmet Tycho, KI Fightstick, or '14 Merch), plus a third with everything but Leeroy Jenkins. Bah! I found him Friday (by accident) and Sunday (on purpose) but I missed him on Saturday. I planned that day poorly. I liked last year's Make-a-Strip panel better... I kind of wish I had used that time on the expo floor, instead. Ah well. Now I know.

Here's the total haul:

Pins! Pins everywhere!
    Looking for Pins: DLC

There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?
  • cabbie98cabbie98 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Here is the haul for the Pin Masons.

BWZHjjvl.jpg?1

I wouldn't have been able to collect these without two great friends who had no interest in pins but were willing to wait in line and also wander the expo floor looking for the elusive Leeroy Jenkins. The encouragement from @Ayefkay‌ and @verybluetardis‌ was also helpful during the pin hunt.

We used a great app called Line that allowed me to send out pictures, updates and discuss strategies for the remaining pins. It was like the group was together even though they were 1000s of miles away.

cabbie98 on
    WiiU: cabbie98
    3DS FC: 4382-1976-1645
    Pin Pals Digital Lanyard
    Yep, Line app worked extremely well for our group over the weekend. It really was like we were all together, able to send messages and photos in real time. Its available for mobile and pc, so you can chat anywhere and be updated very quickly, highly recommended

And yes, FANTASTIC work, cabbie98! Much appreciated. :)

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    From my experience, hide your limited edition pins. If people see them, they won't let it go and you will surely lose out on a trade.

I've adopted the unwritten Disney pin trading rule. NEVER trade away a LE pin for a non LE pin, not even multiples.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »

I've adopted the unwritten Disney pin trading rule. NEVER trade away a LE pin for a non LE pin, not even multiples.

The most extreme trade I'd say I did was trade a Hanna for a PAX 10th Anniversary, which I think was a great trade for both of us.

The most extreme trade I'd say I did was trade a Hanna for a PAX 10th Anniversary, which I think was a great trade for both of us.

I think that is kind of a fair trade.

But yea, I was offered multiples for my one Hanna. No thanks. I can just hold her and trade my extra Behemoth pin next year probably at the pin trading event. I'm no rookie to making trades.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • T3CHN0B4BBL3T3CHN0B4BBL3 Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I just started this year. We caught the pin-collecting bug after only wanting the Camp Weedonwantcha pin on Friday. With our powers combined I think we're off to a pretty good start :smiley:
    jkrecc4.jpg

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I saw Leeroy twice and each time he was out of pins. WoW is now dead to me ;)

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    DefaultGen wrote: »
    This was my first PAX and first time collecting pins but I ended up with 3 lanyards full. Best thing was My friend got a D&D pin Saturday from an enforcer and traded it for a PAX Aus pin, which I am jealous of. I also asked an Enforcer to trade for his enforcer pins (not knowing at the time they are different than the staff pin), was looked at like I was an asshole by the group of enforcers, and left very confused.

Those are only given to Enforcers who have served that year, so it's almost like asking an army veteran to trade his medals. Although I wouldn't expect them to react badly, it is possible they are not familiar with Pinny Arcade (Plenty of PAX attendees don't know about it, so why would Enforcers be different?) I have to admit the first time I heard about the Enforcer Pins I figured this confusion would come up a lot, but luckily it seems to be pretty rare.

Line Entertainment was a lot more visible at East than at Prime, I'm guessing mostly due to Prime being a virtual rabbit warren.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Are you guys saying the Enforcers get an enforcer only pin of some kind, or just the pinny arcade logo one?

• vidvid Hot Dog Wizard PDXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Are you guys saying the Enforcers get an enforcer only pin of some kind, or just the pinny arcade logo one?

Enforcers receive a pin to commemorate their time as an Enforcer. It is not part of the Pinny Arcade program, just a badge of honor for contributing to the effort to keep PAX running smoothly.

Also, yeah... this is something I've wondered about before. It'd probably be good to just start referring to it as the "Pinny Arcade Logo" pin, rather than the "Enforcer" pin. It may feel a little redundant, but it could be confusing to newcomers, especially since there are no official materials that refer to it by the "Enforcer" name.

vid on
    55ymlH2.png
  • foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    the problem is people started calling the logo pin the enforcer pin at east last year and it stuck

Yea, there was an enforcer at the end of the Pin Trading event trading them en mass.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I almost forgot, when I was in line for the Sony booth on Friday I witnessed someone trade a pin for half a banana. Funniest damn thing.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    No delete button oh god no...

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    I almost forgot, when I was in line for the Sony booth on Friday I witnessed someone trade a pin for half a banana. Funniest damn thing.
    That was @SerpicoBC‌, and he honestly thought he got the better end of that trade XD By that time we were already 4 hours into buying / trading for all the pins friday and the hunger was quite real.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I feel sad I didn't make it do any of the pin meet ups, it was just a crazy busy year for me between enforcing, facilitating Thornwatch playtests and getting the pins and swag I wanted to acquire. I was there for the whole staff pin trade event though making sure everyone stayed cool and watching the fun trades. Anyone here witness Khoo's blind trade system? thoughts on that? I thought it was kinda fun.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Beker wrote: »
    I feel sad I didn't make it do any of the pin meet ups, it was just a crazy busy year for me between enforcing, facilitating Thornwatch playtests and getting the pins and swag I wanted to acquire. I was there for the whole staff pin trade event though making sure everyone stayed cool and watching the fun trades. Anyone here witness Khoo's blind trade system? thoughts on that? I thought it was kinda fun.

I would've been in on that if I hadn't already traded all of my "throwaway" pins. I actually had to pick up an extra AI set solely so I could get the staff pins I was missing...

• sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    I ended up completing my entire set. Got everything from East 14 and found someone to trade for the Cardboard Samurai 2013 I needed to have all the date variants. Was awesome to see some familiar faces from Pax Prime and meet the people from here.

Digital Lanyard

“Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
  • KitKnitKitKnit I got nothing for ya. Washington, DCRegistered User new member
    This was my first PAX, I also just got into Pin Trading soon as I heard about it (2 days before lol). Bummed I couldn't get the 10 year anniversary pin, and don't get me started on the Leeroy Jenkins pin...I looked for him nearly all of Saturday and literally ran for it when people gave out his location. I think I did a pretty good job of getting the ones I knew about, they're very pretty! :) Even made my first trade. So yeah. This has me hooked.

Its so awesome to hear people who never heard of the pins discovering them for the first time and becoming instant collectors. My friends still look at me with that confused face thinking "why......? they're just pins..." Come October, when PAX Aus starts, i'm sure they will be singing a different tune. The brain squirrels discriminate against no-one...

8fuuo_RK.png
    Well, except "the norms", as we call them.

I know right, bunch of WEIRDOS those normies

8fuuo_RK.png
  • SquirrelDragonSquirrelDragon Registered User regular
    I made out well on the weekend. I managed to find Leeroy Jenkins 4 times, and traded 3 to acquire the Elspeth and Chandra (Australia) pins to complete my MTG pin set, along with Chainsawsuit. I started the weekend with around 8, and had so many by the end I had to wear them all over my shirt because I had no room on my lanyard.

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular

I traded the pin for the banana. I regret nothing.