As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pin Presentation/Display solutions and pictures

• ShraaPNullShraaPNull Registered User new member
    Yeah! I've actually got tickets to Pax Aus this year... I'm going to be stationed in Guam for the next 2 years so ill have Pax Aus pins out the butt.

• QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    <~~~~This is me

This is Jelly

If X = me and Jelly = X, well, I'll let you do the math.

• Drayven_DarkoDrayven_Darko Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @Qumaden our Pin Pal group (The Pinglourious Basterds) will undoubtedly be looking for a PAX South associate. If you'd be interested in joining us message me. You'll never go hungry (for PAX Aus pins) again.

"Sometimes I doubt your commitment to 'Sparkle Motion'."
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @Qumaden That's gonna look awesome.

• DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Wow this entire time I realized I had never posted pictures of the bag. Well lets fix that. First, the bag before east...
    6icdq9ytyg4g.jpg

And the bag post east...
    f9cgrap6qgon.jpg

I moved stuff before the con to make more space and I had to replace my first levin as the paint had chipped off a little, and ya... I might need a new way to display now

Diffusion on
    Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Diffusion wrote: »
    Wow this entire time I realized I had never posted pictures of the bag. Well lets fix that. First, the bag before east...
    6icdq9ytyg4g.jpg

And the bag post east...
    f9cgrap6qgon.jpg

I moved stuff before the con to make more space and I had to replace my first levin as the paint had chipped off a little, and ya... I might need a new way to display now

I see my East Kemper on there!

@Diffusion I saw you and your bag of holding(of pins) a couple times. Sweet collection!

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    @diffusion I talked to you in the Giant Bomb line. Thanks for helping to pass the time!!!!

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Just noticed the cardboard backing in my shadow box is bowing out a bit. Will have to trim it down next time I rearrange them all.

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I just threw everything from PAX East 2014 onto my shadow box foam core backing, I definitely need to rethink my display options.
    workinprogress_zps5ec227c1.png

Still not the greatest qualify photo, once I have something decent and have the Pins in proper order I'll take a higher resolution shot.

I'm considering multiple smaller shadow boxes that each feature certain sets/groupings that make sense (i.e. all Lookouts, Daughters of the Eyrewood. and (eventually hopefully)Thornwatch; Killer Instinct; The Behemoth; Staff; Kempers; PAX Logos; et cetera). And definitely shadow boxes that open from the front on hinges to make things easier.

*Saving the spot to the right of the DLC for the Club PA Pin*

Konig Wolf on
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Konig Wolf wrote: »

I have a shadow box similar to yours, and I've posted about this before somewhere ( I don't remember which thread), but when I bought it, it seems like the pins won't hold unless i push them all the way through the box itself. Someone suggesting buying styrofoam or some sort of cork, but I was just wondering what you did, or if anyone has any suggestions!

I got the shadow box at a Michaels along with a foam core backing that I had to cut to fit inside.

Did you fit the foam core INTO the frame, inside the glass? Or did you just piece it onto the back?

I'm in a similar boat with Wolf. I'm thinking of doing smaller shadow boxes, and framing the pins in the order at which they were at the conventions. For example: Prime 2013 pins would have its own frame, East 2014 pins would have its own frame, etc etc etc.

For the non-convention, online released pins, I would keep a larger shadow box for, and if the pins at conventions are so small in total, I would just merge them into one frame, so the East 2013/Aus 2013 pins would be together.

I like the idea a lot, but it would be a lot of frames to have after a while.

• brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a scarf at Prime. I blasted my keepsake budget on pins :)

Did you fit the foam core INTO the frame, inside the glass? Or did you just piece it onto the back?

The foam core I bought was larger than the dimensions of the inside of the shadow box. I cut it to the size of the back at first but realized I couldn't get the back to go on that way so I shaved off a bit more off the top and side so that it fits into the the frame and it can go all the way to the front where it would be touching the glass, but I like to keep it toward the back. It remains separate (not pieced onto the back) so that when I need to move things around I remove the back and take out the foam core, lay it down, and rearrange accordingly. I always have my shadow box at a slight angle, where it is further forward on the bottom than it is on top, so that the foam core stays in place and doesn't lean forward due to gravity.

The foam core I bought was larger than the dimensions of the inside of the shadow box. I cut it to the size of the back at first but realized I couldn't get the back to go on that way so I shaved off a bit more off the top and side so that it fits into the the frame and it can go all the way to the front where it would be touching the glass, but I like to keep it toward the back. It remains separate (not pieced onto the back) so that when I need to move things around I remove the back and take out the foam core, lay it down, and rearrange accordingly. I always have my shadow box at a slight angle, where it is further forward on the bottom than it is on top, so that the foam core stays in place and doesn't lean forward due to gravity.

Ah, so the frame looks like Glass > Original Shadow Box Material > Foam > Back?

edited April 2014

Glass > Pins stuck to foam core > Foam core > Back

The shadow box backing has a layer of attached soft material that things can be pinned to using straight pins that go in parallel to the material, but not perpendicular like Pinny Arcade Pins. I don't use that soft material at all, it just hides behind the foam core.

I measured using an electronic micrometer, and found that single layer Pins are about 1.29-1.33 mm in thickness with a pin shaft length of approximately 8.3 mm and diameter of 1.0 mm, the foam core I got had a thickness of 3/16 inch or 4.7625 mm, so the pointed tips of the pin shafts do stick out the back of the foam core, but not enough to fit the rubber Pin backs.

Konig Wolf on
  • surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    up to this point I've just had my pins on a lanyard + randomly strewn about my room. after this year's PAX East it's become increasingly obvious that I need somewhere to put them all, so I just ordered some of that Elmer's black foam core that some of you have mentioned. thanks for the suggestion! will most likely buy a shadow box as well to put the foam in, and I'll be sure to post a picture once I get it set up!

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So, here's what I'm thinking for a presentation option:

Background: http://pichost.me/1485703/

The Nights Watch - The Lookouts
    Theon Greyjoy - Jim Darkmagic (pre... capture)
    Northmen - Viking, Binwin, Jin (Bran), Garruk, Sabrewulf (Direwolves)
    Daenerys - Chandra 2 or Elspeth
    The Three Dragons - Kitty Kemper, Aus Kemper, PAX Kemper
    Jorah - Omin
    Prince Oberyn - Cardboard Tube Samurai
    Monsters North of the Wall - Glacius, Bloody Bear, Zombie Tycho
    The Red Lady - Draken (or Witch Annarchy or Catsby depending on how much you like her)
    Stannis - Table Top Tycho or Robert Khoo or Omin (as you prefer)
    Jaime Lannister - Cat Guard or Brian Sunter

I'm just throwing out some ideas. As pins continue to come out, the casting changes. As new episodes/books come out, the casting changes. I think having a pin set up that follows something still ongoing is an awesome way to keep the collection fresh and exciting. Thoughts?

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
    This is how I feel after a PAX when I'm home and have all my pins splayed out in front of me.

Glass > Pins stuck to foam core > Foam core > Back

The shadow box backing has a layer of attached soft material that things can be pinned to using straight pins that go in parallel to the material, but not perpendicular like Pinny Arcade Pins. I don't use that soft material at all, it just hides behind the foam core.

I measured using an electronic micrometer, and found that single layer Pins are about 1.29-1.33 mm in thickness with a pin shaft length of approximately 8.3 mm and diameter of 1.0 mm, the foam core I got had a thickness of 3/16 inch or 4.7625 mm, so the pointed tips of the pin shafts do stick out the back of the foam core, but not enough to fit the rubber Pin backs.

Ahh, so you just took out the original backing and fixed in a foam core background? That makes much more sense.

Jorah - Omin
    The Red Lady - Draken (or Witch Annarchy or Catsby depending on how much you like her)

I'm just throwing out some ideas. As pins continue to come out, the casting changes. As new episodes/books come out, the casting changes. I think having a pin set up that follows something still ongoing is an awesome way to keep the collection fresh and exciting. Thoughts?

This confused the fuck out of me until I remembered what you were doing.. ;)

I'd have to see it started to get a feel for it, but it's a unique idea.

• crowtalescrowtales Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    4fqilfzrhy8r.jpg

I decided to not display everything. I just took out some of the ones I really like and those are the ones I put up. not sure if I'll keep with doing the years thing, but it worked well for now. Empty spaces are left that way for future acquisitions. Like PaxPrime2014.

made with Shadowboxes from Michaels and foam core with black construction paper.

crowtales on
  • Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular

Jorah - Omin

This confused the fuck out of me until I remembered what you were doing.. ;)

I'd have to see it started to get a feel for it, but it's a unique idea.

Yeah, I can't promise it'll work out. Just trying to think outside the shadow box.

Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    So after a very successful Pin Haul at PAX East, thanks to cabbie98 and our AWESOME group, the Pin Masons, I've made the final decision to put all my pins in a binder. Eventually i'd need several, plus any pin ultimate folders, i think it would look really good all together on a shelf. There's just not enough wall space in my room to display them all, and im not a fan of only showing my favourites, or a few special ones. I like to have them all together. I ordered this one:

safepub.com/sections/pin-collecting-display/pin-albums/p/compact-album-with-5-pin-pages

A little pricey, but it looks really well made, and comes with a nice looking slip case.

I'll write up a full 'review' when I get it.

for reference: oi44.tinypic.com/2lus4qv.jpg
    my current display method, simple cork board, obviously no more room for any more pins unless I move them closer to eachother

Quoted myself for reference....

I received the folder earlier this week and it looks great. Very sturdy and the pages and dividers look really nice, haven't had the time to put them all in yet, photos when i do.

A word of warning, however, granted this could have just been me getting too excited and buying without reading... But there is actually no slipcase included with the folder, its an extra you need to buy, i was fooled by the image that clearly has the slipcase with it....so yeah, it will arrive next week sometime...

Always read the fine print, people.. Or in this case, the clearly worded print under a misleading image...

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    First time posting a picture of my collection since buying some foam core. Hope to fill in some of what I'm missing soon.
    xXZZuKR.jpg

surette on
  • sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I have an awesome banner from @Duckie that I'm using for my 2013 pins. I haven't figured out what to do with 2014 yet...
    0lgn74lckvqa.jpg[\spoiler]

sirmrej on
    Your arrangement is much better than mine on the Duckie Hanger!

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Quick question: Is it possible to get foamcore in 70cmx75cm sheets, and how thick are they?

• brettness37brettness37 Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular

I've bought it in 8'x4' sheets. Thickness is about 1/8" I believe.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I've bought it in 8'x4' sheets. Thickness is about 1/8" I believe.

Is 1/8" enough for the Pin so it doesn't protrude the other side? I'm taking measurements and think that the 1/2" is needed.

So I had my East 14 pins, patch, badge and Scarf all framed together professionally and they told me today it was done. I go in to pick up, happy as a little kid at <insert non-demoninational winter holiday here>, and two pins were upside down. I informed the gentleman that the two pins in question were wrong and he tried to hit me with the "it can't be changed". I'm a pretty patient man, slow to anger, quick to forgive, but apparently you take my money and screw up my pins and I get a bit curt. I had to involve a manager, and the manager said that it would take longer to fix it than it did to do it in the first place(2 weeks). I told them that was fine, I've already paid for it and I'm not going to pay that much for something to sit there and just look at two upside down pins. Wishing I had just gone with the foam core board now...

@Diffusion‌ Do you use locking pin backs for your bag? Do you use your bag functionally or just as a showcase?

• DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    @Diffusion‌ Do you use locking pin backs for your bag? Do you use your bag functionally or just as a showcase?

Locking pin backs were a must, and I tend to get these. Only had one casualty during all of East, and it was because the pin itself snapped. Luckly, the Babe Gabe was quickly re-traded for, so no harm there. The bag was used functionally too, being a bag of holding (backpack variant, normal messenger bags would of killed me), had room for all the other spares and such I got, as well as whatever else I tended to purchase (tshirts, one of Katies hidden kitty hoodies, a board game for my roommates etc). Problem now comes that the bag is a bit too crowded now... Im working on making a shadow box or two to hold the stuff Im not going to bring with me to future Pax's.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
    So I had my East 14 pins, patch, badge and Scarf all framed together professionally and they told me today it was done. I go in to pick up, happy as a little kid at <insert non-demoninational winter holiday here>, and two pins were upside down.

The AUS Tycho and Gabe?

If so did you tell them before-hand what way they went up?

I looked into getting a framing shop to make me up a frame, but once they mentioned that they usually frame everything at once and it's unchangeable I pretty much dropped that idea.

So I had my East 14 pins, patch, badge and Scarf all framed together professionally and they told me today it was done. I go in to pick up, happy as a little kid at <insert non-demoninational winter holiday here>, and two pins were upside down.

The AUS Tycho and Gabe?

If so did you tell them before-hand what way they went up?

I looked into getting a framing shop to make me up a frame, but once they mentioned that they usually frame everything at once and it's unchangeable I pretty much dropped that idea.

No, 14 East Gabe/Tycho

The boss pins?

Yeah I would have been making them fix it for free.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    @grgemonkey came up with a great idea I will be implementing for the Pinny Pals site. One of the feature articles each month will be pictures of community member's pin displays. I will pick 2-3 each month to show off to the world. If you are interested in having your display featured just send me 2 or 3 pics of your display along with a brief description of your set up (materials used, why you arranged it that way, any cool tricks) and what name you wish to be credited under.

Anyone who is interested can send me a PM for further instructions.