As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Speaking of Crown Vics I just picked up a 2005. Has the 4.6L motor and only 150k miles. very clean. Should be a ton of fun, going to upgrade the suspension eventually as well as the engine. As for right now should make for a nice slidy auto cross car.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The MSP is entirely Chargers, Tahoes, and Explorers in my area now. I imagine there are still some Crown Vics out there somewhere though. I know the Indiana State Police has at least one Mustang GT and a 4th gen Camaro SS in their fleet, I've seen the Camaro in action.

I actually quite like the Panther cars for what they are, which is a dinosaur that loves abuse.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I've seen a Mustang, Challenger, and minivan undercover cop cars with BSO. Along with Suburbans. They went Taurus for the marked cars though.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Nebraska state patrol has a corvette from a confiscation a few years ago that they gave a paint job to and I see it out and about once in a while. Pretty slick.

• Options
    We have one Charger on our squad, the rest are Crown Vics. The Charger is a recent-ish purchase, and it has the Hemi. The NBPD figured it was worth it to have the Hemi to assist in highway chases and emergency response.

I think that we're going Explorers from here on out. I got to ride along when Ford came out to do some demos (a perk of having a parent in city government) and the Explorer was pretty nice. They took it out on the beach and everything. Having a vehicle with a taller ride height and AWD just makes sense given our climate/location.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I would personally be screaming for a full IA investigation if I lived in America and when it was time for police fleet replacement we got Crown Vics instead of these: http://www.gmfleet.com/police/chevy-caprice-ppv-patrol-car.html

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Man i got pulled over a couple years ago by an undercover 350z. I wondered why the fuck he was tailing me so close.

• Options
    So you would speed up to get away from him, and thus a speeding ticket.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    That logic might make sense, except not in the situation I was in.

I went to a grocery store like 1km from my house. The cop followed me home. I did not speed - I'm not saying I don't speed in general, but there is absolutely no point or real opportunity to speed in the drive from the grocery store to my house.

Basically he said that a car matching my description had run down a motorcycle on the highway and wanted to inspect my car for damage, obviously didn't find any. I wasn't sure I bought his story, but whatever I'm not going to argue with a cop. He let me go, no ticket... as there was nothing to ticket.

The whole thing was fucking weird.

Al_wat on
  • Options
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    In Arkansas the State Police (highway cops) use Chargers nearly exclusively, though they have a couple of Corvettes and other cars that I assume/hope were seized from criminals. Local cops have a gamut of Crown Vics, Chargers, and Explorers, depending on the size of the city.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Chargers are real popular out here in Oregon as well. Though there are a couple of "undercover" mustangs I've seen with all the light bars inside the car and behind the grill. They nail folks for traffic violations all the damn time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    We have a surprising array of "undercover" cars. I learned on the news the other day that there is such a thing as "lower visibility" patrol cars that apparently have police markings on only one side, but are otherwise in the standard white with spotlight and brushguard. There are also the standard unmarked ones in a variety of colors with the lights in concealed places. There are also undercover cars that are not Chargers, that may or may not have concealed lights. I kinda think those are for the detectives and stuff though, and not for traffic enforcement.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    We have a surprising array of "undercover" cars. I learned on the news the other day that there is such a thing as "lower visibility" patrol cars that apparently have police markings on only one side, but are otherwise in the standard white with spotlight and brushguard.

that's basically all they have here in Florida. it's a fucking nightmare too because they sell them with the brushgaurds to old people who drive slow, so it's a 5 minute process to figure out if the idiot in front of you is a cop or a geriatric

it's getting a little easier now though because the police radio networks have special antennas that I know how to spot, but up until recently they were totally identical

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I've seen a number of new cop cars around here, but for the love of everything I hope the go with the Ford Interceptor since it has AWD. The Charger and Caprice just aren't that great for our climate. Oh and yeah I love hearing the rants from cop friends about the old police issue Impalas from early 2000s. Apparently they were just shit.

Also the photo radar fleet is changing things up a little. They used to use pickup trucks with canopy. Now they have tonneau covered bed with a rack.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

That's neat as hell, the Ecoboost AWD model of the Ford Interceptor seems to be the vehicle to go for.

And have a look at the acceleration figures for the Harleys vs. the BMW motorbike. I wonder why no Honda ST1300, though?

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Decius wrote: »
    I've seen a number of new cop cars around here, but for the love of everything I hope the go with the Ford Interceptor since it has AWD. The Charger and Caprice just aren't that great for our climate. Oh and yeah I love hearing the rants from cop friends about the old police issue Impalas from early 2000s. Apparently they were just shit.

Also the photo radar fleet is changing things up a little. They used to use pickup trucks with canopy. Now they have tonneau covered bed with a rack.

They're also using city of edmonton trucks as well as pretending to be a broken down car with another vehicle assisting them with the photo radar sandwiched in between the two vehicles. Actually seen quite a few minivans used to park on the over passes over henday too.

They're also voting on doubling the amount of photo radar soon.

Angry on
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »

That's neat as hell, the Ecoboost AWD model of the Ford Interceptor seems to be the vehicle to go for.

And have a look at the acceleration figures for the Harleys vs. the BMW motorbike. I wonder why no Honda ST1300, though?

I know some departments are worried about the reliability of the AWD system and turbocharged engines. They're certainly nice cars though. Anecdotally, I know a lot of police like driving the Chargers for their handling/driving characteristics but dislike the beltroom. The Caprice has more room but I guess it's just alright to drive. The Explorer seems like the favorite overall, since it has a lot of room and pretty solid acceleration and handling for an SUV.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    The ST1300 likely isn't on the list because it was pulled from consideration by a lot of departments after the speed wobble issue that popped up in the UK (that resulted in one officer's death). I think it's been fixed, but old habits die hard.

It's funny seeing the Electra-Glide and the R1200RT compared, though. Yes, I'd like a motorcycle that's slower, less nimble, less reliable, has worse fuel economy, worse suspension/ECM/ABS, carries an extra 200 pounds, and costs 10-20% more.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I miss the last gen firebird security cars...

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    sounds like everywhere has a full fleet of modern police cars except florida

even louisiana has a new fleet. not sure why florida sticks with the vics

• Options
    Angry wrote: »

They're also using city of Edmonton trucks as well as pretending to be a broken down car with another vehicle assisting them with the photo radar sandwiched in between the two vehicles. Actually seen quite a few minivans used to park on the over passes over henday too.

The broken down on the side of the road shtick is an old one, but I haven't actually seen what you're describing yet. Years ago I got tagged by a minivan on the side of the Whitemud between Fox Drive and 149 St, where there really isn't any room for a car to safely pull over. He had his brake lights fully illuminated with right signal flashing, and I thought it was a broken down vehicle. Passed him doing 102 and saw the big bright flash. Ticket for 22 over the limit. The kicker was I had just bought the car 12 hours prior.

But on my commute I've only seen the pickup trucks, the one vinyl wrapped mini van, and the odd new mini van. Where were you seeing the other ones?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    On the west Henday. Right before you cross the bridge heading north and right after the bridge if you're heading south.

Last summer they were even putting up barricades and signage to make it look like work was happening but nope, just a photo radar unit hanging out the window of a city of Edmonton truck.

The fake broken down trick was right after 170th going west on 137th ave. the road changes from 70 to 60 after the intersection for some reason.

The minivans are the ones hanging out on the overpasses looking down on the Henday.

I've also seen that exact one you described, though never been speeding by it.

• Options
    Oddly glad my state is too poor to put up cameras to catch speeders. Though we do have the hilarious "speed enforced by aircraft" warning sign on I-540 right before you get into the mountains and have 30 miles in either direction before you actually hit a town.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    sounds like everywhere has a full fleet of modern police cars except florida

even louisiana has a new fleet. not sure why florida sticks with the vics

Which part of Florida? Broward looks pretty up to date. Don't think I've seen a Crown Vic that was actually a police car in years. Now, Highway Patrol might be different, but I rarely see any of them unless I'm visiting my sister in St. Augustine.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I love pothole season. Now I get to argue with the city over who gets to pay for the blown tie rod.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    IMG_20140413_131555.jpg
    (It's a 2013 V-Strom 650 and yeah it's a pretty crappy cameraphone image.)

I've had it for about a month now, and I'm loving it! It's going to make the long trips to visit folks a lot lot lot more fun. It makes trivially more horsepower than my old CB650 but gobs more torque and over a much wider RPM range.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    Angry wrote: »

They're also using city of edmonton trucks as well as pretending to be a broken down car with another vehicle assisting them with the photo radar sandwiched in between the two vehicles. Actually seen quite a few minivans used to park on the over passes over henday too.

Radar speed traps multiply like rabbits. They bring in vast mountains of cash, and as soon as politicians see it start coming in they get uncontrollable erections for speed cameras. It's hilarious how quickly the regulations around their use get relaxed, too. They were introduced to Western Australia to act as "a highly visible anti-speeding deterrent, deployed in areas with significantly elevated accident statistics due to excessive speed for road conditions". In other words, the first handful of cameras were shared around the most dangerous sections of roads (black spots) in an effort to reduce the fatality rate.

The situation changed very quickly though. The cameras were originally deployed by officers in non-pursuit vehicles, placed by the side of the road in clear view with a easily visible warning sign about 60-90 feet before them.

In a matter of weeks the cameras were painted a darker muddier flat colour instead of gloss black, and were placed further away from the side of the road near stands of trees, and the warning signs were placed alongside them.

A few months after that, the signs were moved past the cameras, about 90 feet along the road, and often turned sideways so you could only really see what they were when you got near them.

Camera deployment was privatised, they became operated by civilian contractors in nondescript white utes.

It stayed like this for a few years, then they started hiding the cameras in Nissan X-trails they park on the side of the road.

So the "road safety initiative" went from a highly visible deterrent to speeding used in areas of high accident rates and fatality stats, to a hidden device used to make as much money as possible on roads that often have arbitrarily low speed limits.

The senior police and state government have absolutely no idea why the only people that think speed traps are a good idea are folks that drink in all the tv and radio ads regarding speeding and take them as gospel.

Very little (so little as to be almost zero) has been done about improving driver training standards and regulation. All they have done in the past 30 years is introduce a logbook system for trainee drivers which the vast majority defraud, and increase the maximum speed limits for trainee drivers. The probationary period for new drivers was doubled from one year to two, and it has had zero effect on the road toll.

Once you get your license (which is honestly very simple to get), that's it for life. You never get retested. Get it at 17, then keep it until you're 97 without ever having to reprove competency again.

Safe as houses!

• Options
    in my part of florida speed cameras are pretty much banned now

they tried them and there was huge backlash

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Dodge unveiled the new Charger at the new York Auto Show: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091466_2015-dodge-charger-debuts-at-2014-new-york-auto-show

I quite like it, mainly because it looks like a larger, more muscular Dart. I'm not 100% sold on the side-view. It'll grow on me.

What I am really sold on is that the 5.7l V8 will still have 370hp/395lb-ft but is now going to be mated to the 8-speed auto and it'll have variable displacement. It got 15mpg city/25 highway before without variable displacement and the 5-speed auto. I imagine that it will probably get like 18 city/30 highway now.

And the transmission is supposed to fire off 250 millisecond shifts.

Hello V8 daily driver.

jgeis on
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    I didn't like the look of the last one, but this one's alright. Is it still auto-only?

• Options
    Yeah, auto only.

• Options
    that's cause Chargers are rental cars and they'll only make like 10 of those V8's

looks neat though

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I dunno, I see a fair amount of R/Ts in my area. A lot of them with the optional AWD. Certainly they sell more V6 cars, though.

jgeis on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'd take the Challenger, but what I really want is a '70 Challenger R/T Hemi. Obviously.

• Options
    1963 Buick Riviera Gran Sport, please.

• Options
    1963 Buick Riviera Gran Sport, please.

Hey @Moe Fwacky‌ we found you a friend.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Mr Fwacky has good taste in cars.

• Options
    So, Toyota are looking to inject some excitement into their model range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0T-eb1jrI

Considering the 2JZ would require a total redesign from the ground up to be made Euro 5 compliant, most of the car writers speculating about this are suggesting that Toyota has a very close relationship with BMW these days, and there might be an S55 3.0 BMW straight six going into it.

317 kW, 550 Nm. That's 425 horsepower, and 412 ft/lb torque.

If they build it light (alloy doorskins, bonnet, roof panel, bootlid) and keep the price within reason of a 370Z, Nissan are in deep shit.

• Options
    finally, a toyota with "sudden acceleration" that's actually on purpose

is that just a concept body? it looks too good to be true

This discussion has been closed.