As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My drawing class finally got to figure drawing. Critique?

JenckesJenckes Registered User new member
I am super psyched to be doing figure drawings. It's my first drawing class and I've always doodled and such, but I've never drawn as well as when I'm drawing from life. Most of those are 20-40 minute drawings? There are some five minute ones in there. I feel like I'm getting alright at the outline but I've never really practiced shading and that's probably my biggest problem. That and learning to deal with the fact that models do move.

1469e3b0-320b-4bdf-8336-bf27e89d15c1.jpg?t=1397690119
20140416_172631.jpg
20140416_172731.jpg
20140416_172743.jpg
20140416_172828.jpg?t=1397690346
20140416_172851.jpg?t=1397690393

• Options
    jimmyblevinsjimmyblevins Sir Penny ArcadeRegistered User regular
    They don't look flowy enough to me. The proportions look off in some of them too. It's hard though...I go to figuring drawing a lot. I think the hardest thing is actually paying attention to the model and drawing the model, versus looking at the model and then just making shit up in out of your head for your drawing. Maybe you do that too? I think you did the laying down pose fairly well. I always have a tough time with those because the perspective is hard. The third picture the foreshortening doesn't seem right, and the face looks weird.

• Options
    JenckesJenckes Registered User new member
    Thanks. Even my gesture drawings are rigid. Those bottom three are supposed to be gestures but my teach said they were more like outlines.

Also, yeah the right side of her chin does look pretty funky. Foreshortening is a bitch.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I find its effective to mix up life drawing with deeper anatomy studies. A few books like this guy http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Artist-Stephen-Rogers/dp/0195030958 may help you understand what you are looking at a little better. Life drawing is also a good time to try and learn drawing with your whole arm and not with little wrist motions.

Are you in an open session, or do you actually have an instructor?

• Options
    SMYSMY Cartoonist, Freelancer, & Coffee Junkie Blub blub blubRegistered User new member
    I remember my first life drawing session, and dear god I sucked horrendously. But it does teach you to sketch less and draw more deliberately. Are you using conte as well? Conte is very good for life drawing sessions, mainly because you can get both hard & soft edges with the tool. Sure your hand will get a bit filthy, but because you're using the whole stick, you'll be able to use a variety of edges while drawing.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Try to make the shapes catch into each other and don't be afraid of drawing through the form. For instance, in the 5th drawing you've posted you could've easily let the line from the top of his right foot continue all the way down to his left armpit, one sweeping motion going through any other forms in the way. You can always add details like the heel later, but the most important thing is trying to make the whole thing seem as if it fits together. Less scratchy lines, more long sweeping shit.
    Don't worry about the details at all actually, those aren't important right now. Details are only important when you want your shit to look expensive, but I'm guessing you're not looking to auction any of these off at the moment so don't bother with them.

Try taking a look at these and see how they basically shit on details and still get the job done with those long swishy lines, while being wildly dynamic and interesting to look at:
    gesture-niall-1.jpg?w=538&h=760

• Options
    jimmyblevinsjimmyblevins Sir Penny ArcadeRegistered User regular
    <i>Details are only important when you want your shit to look expensive</i>

This made me laugh. I kind of believe in that attitude I think since I like rougher/more simplistic artwork as it conveys emotions that can be more intense, but there's also a part of me who really likes the trickery that certain artists can do to make objects look tactile.