As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The 100] Criminal Teens, No Parents, Mutant Deer. Smells like the CW.

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
edited March 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
The-100-Key-Art-CW.jpg

http://youtu.be/DM_2LwEtgkg

The 100 is the new show on the CW about teens send to Earth after mankind had to escape it after we blew it up. Its been 100 years or so and now we on the International Space Station Ark to wait out the radiation except supplies are running out. So all the kids who broke the law and sent to jail are now guinea pigs to see if we can survive on the Planet.

Like most of the shows on the CW, its aimed to collect the Twilight fan base and you can expect your usual mix of love triangles, violences, and extremely pretty people, but it could have a bit of a Battlestar Galactica with a pinch of Lost as those on the Ark play a political game with both the Ark survivers and the 100 in the mix while the 100 fight themselves and the Earth to create the anarchist society of their dreams. Will it be good? It comes on Wednesdays after Arrow, one of the better CW shows going right now, so who knows. It can't be worst than the Tomorrow People.

Grunt's Ghosts on

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    The twist at the end gave me some hope, as unlikely as it is, that we would get Planet of the Apes.

But otherwise this show is pretty bad so far.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Ah the Tomorrow People. I remember really liking that show when it made its short-lived appearance on Nickelodean back in the 90's.

Alas.

RT800 on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I really liked the first episode, and was impressed that the VFX were actually pretty solid, I was expecting them to be complete shit.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    The twist at the end gave me some hope, as unlikely as it is, that we would get Planet of the Apes.

Not bad for a pilot. For really awful pilot's on CW see Tomorrow People's.

• Options
    This show will have to amplify the world building to keep the momentum for a series. The pilot set it up like a mini-series. Clarke's actress was spectacular. I like the character and her actress has charmisma. The brunette was pretty, is an ok actress but the character is too one note to hold my attention.

The big bads for Earth and the Ark were intriguing. Nice contrasts.

They need to give Kelly Hu a reason to be relevant on this show. Was she the VP's wife?

• Options

Like, yes there are a lot of shows that are way worse than this.

But neither is this super compelling. The entire group dynamic and character interactions with the kids was instantly tiresome to me. Forced drama based on personal bullshit and not any sort of logical competing interests, conflicts caused by a complete lack of communication, bizarre decisions with no rational. This show might turn out to be entertaining but it will almost certainly not turn out to be good.

Also main character girl is an expert cartographer having being raised on a space station... somehow.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options

Like, yes there are a lot of shows that are way worse than this.

But neither is this super compelling. The entire group dynamic and character interactions with the kids was instantly tiresome to me. Forced drama based on personal bullshit and not any sort of logical competing interests, conflicts caused by a complete lack of communication, bizarre decisions with no rational. This show might turn out to be entertaining but it will almost certainly not turn out to be good.

The personal bullshit, while melodramatic, had logical consequences. Teens acted like teens - who aren't rational, short sighted, unknowingly self destructive and
    they were being manipulated by a charismatic psycho who had his own warped reasons for letting the Ark burn.
    Also main character girl is an expert cartographer having being raised on a space station... somehow.

Someone's got to read a map right on the show. :)

• Options
    Teens acted like teens

This is not particularly a thing I want to watch shows about. The sci fi premise is kind of interesting, and if that is the focus and it is actually done well, I can see watching this show.

But if the focus is teenage lord of the flies, I'm out.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Teens acted like teens

This is not particularly a thing I want to watch shows about. The sci fi premise is kind of interesting, and if that is the focus and it is actually done well, I can see watching this show.

It's... on the CW.

I found it perfectly adequate. But like, I wasn't expecting The Wire or anything.

• Options
    This show intrigued me, which the last three shows that have done that from the pilot was Revolution, Helix, and Hannibal. Helix is the only show of those I'm still watching but barely. But it falls mostly in my tasted of sci-fi After Earth kind of shows so it might have a fighting chance. The writers should look at shows like Lost or Babylon5 for inspiration and stay only finger tips close of CW type shows if they want to keep an audience.

• Options
    This show will have to amplify the world building to keep the momentum for a series. The pilot set it up like a mini-series. Clarke's actress was spectacular. I like the character and her actress has charmisma. The brunette was pretty, is an ok actress but the character is too one note to hold my attention.

The big bads for Earth and the Ark were intriguing. Nice contrasts.

They need to give Kelly Hu a reason to be relevant on this show. Was she the VP's wife?

The review I read said that Kelly Hu was unfortunately only there for the pilot.
    Teens acted like teens

That's all this show has been marketed as: future lord of the flies with good looking teens.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I liked that fact that it's called The 100, but one episode in and
    they're already down three people.

It's ok so far, but time will tell if the teen-drama will outweigh the drama.

• Options
    Well, it was 101 as Bellamy (I think that was his name) was a stowaway. So we are only down to 98.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Well, it was 101 as Bellamy (I think that was his name) was a stowaway. So we are only down to 98.

Enough for a few seasons, then. :)

Short seasons...

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Enough for a few seasons, then. :)

Short seasons...
    I forget where I read it but someone said there was roughly 4000 people on the Ark altogether, then they send the 100 plus Bellamy to earth. But since we saw one guy get killed with a spear, I'm sure we'll see more people come into play soon. I got one problem with the show, where are the kids? Everyone that come down was damn near adults, where is the poor 8 year old who now finds herself in a grown up situation. Seems like a missed opportunity there.

• Options
    I like how main character girl enters ever conversation explaining some obvious logical point no one else seems to get.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I keep kinda hoping they do a flash forward by like three weeks where everyone is dead and they have to send down a second group of 100 people that aren't completely fucking stupid.

• Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I keep kinda hoping they do a flash forward by like three weeks where everyone is dead and they have to send down a second group of 100 people that aren't completely fucking stupid.

Seriously! It was kind of funny when the maintenance girl took one look at their board of the 100 and who they thought was dead and was all like, "um, you sent down criminals of course the first thing that they are going to do is say 'fuck you' and take the bracelets off." Also calling it now, her boyfriend that she is worried about and wanting to go down with main girl's mom to see is totally the space walker guy so we can get some classic CW relationship melodrama going, even their best shows can't avoid this stable.

This comment was really negative, but I am still liking this show for some unexplainable reason, I blame my weakness for watching good looking people doing cool looking things.

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Seriously! It was kind of funny when the maintenance girl took one look at their board of the 100 and who they thought was dead and was all like, "um, you sent down criminals of course the first thing that they are going to do is say 'fuck you' and take the bracelets off." Also calling it now, her boyfriend that she is worried about and wanting to go down with main girl's mom to see is totally the space walker guy so we can get some classic CW relationship melodrama going, even their best shows can't avoid this stable.

This comment was really negative, but I am still liking this show for some unexplainable reason, I blame my weakness for watching good looking people doing cool looking things.

I mean, I thought that was obvious when they did the fade between the sculpture he made for her and the one the other girl had as a necklace. Nothing to call, that was straight up established.

The stuff on the station was actually pretty interesting. And the actual power struggle thing going on on the ground is pretty interesting as well. In fact, I tend to agree with rebel dude. Fuck those people on the station.
    So we're not getting Planet of the Apes, which makes me sad, but on the other hand: fucking Uruk-hai are in this apparently!

• Options

I mean, I thought that was obvious when they did the fade between the sculpture he made for her and the one the other girl had as a necklace. Nothing to call, that was straight up established.

The stuff on the station was actually pretty interesting. And the actual power struggle thing going on on the ground is pretty interesting as well. In fact, I tend to agree with rebel dude. Fuck those people on the station.
    So we're not getting Planet of the Apes, which makes me sad, but on the other hand: fucking Uruk-hai are in this apparently!

Heh, guess I missed that part.

• Options
    edited March 2014

Its horrid how the government on the station has handled the situation.
    Wasn't this all about revenge for his family dying?
    He's over-reacting and dooming humanity with his bullshit.
    Encouraging angry, rebellious teenagers do whatever they want - whatever could go wrong?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I'm kinda hooked, mainly because I'm waiting for the body count to rise in interesting ways. Plus, the stupid drama is nice and not so out of place. I'm still trying to figure out why the main girl hasn't just taken a small group of loyalist who want to survive without the anarchist and head up towards the military bunker.

• Options
    I'm kinda hooked, mainly because I'm waiting for the body count to rise in interesting ways. Plus, the stupid drama is nice and not so out of place. I'm still trying to figure out why the main girl hasn't just taken a small group of loyalist who want to survive without the anarchist and head up towards the military bunker.

There aren't that many to take, and if too many of the anarchist die, the station will assume earth is unlivable

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    It's reasonably watchable given the downward spiral of available decent sci-fi shows the last couple of years. The teen melodrama bothers me a lot less than the constant ridiculous bullshit. These are kids who have never met anyone who has any living memories of living anywhere except a space station. They should be terrified of the sky and the trees and the water and pretty much everything. Working with wood? Building fires? Burying bodies? Butchering and cooking meat? At least you can learn cartography in a classroom.

How would anyone who lives in space not be intimately familiar with radiation and its effects on the human body? For that matter, why the hell would you design medical monitoring wristbands to send down to the irradiated planet and not put a dosimeter or a Geiger counter in there? Or at least an automatic "the wristband has been damaged or removed" signal? They've been on the planet for at least two days at this point with nothing to eat except one pumathing split among 90some people and presumably limited access to water. How are they still running around whooping it up and hanging people out of trees instead of chewing on random plants out of desperate hunger? Or, y'know, heading en-masse for the one place they're given to understand food exists? I get that teenagers are idiots but come on. Hell, why is anyone looking up to Captain Badass the Criminal King when he is literally the only person there who (to the best of their knowledge) has never broken the law?

I get that they sent the criminals because they were expecting everyone to probably die, but not a single adult member of the leadership who know that they've got a matter of months to live regardless was willing to go along to make sure things on the ground didn't go completely and immediately sideways?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Well, if I said that you could either live in a box that might keep you from dying if the box doesn't get broken or you can go to a place that last time anyone was there it was radioactive and it should be ok in another three generations, what would you choose to do?

The adults sent the kids who would have been killed anyhow once they became 18 to the radioactive place. The wrist bands were designed just for the basics, vitsl signs. The station and techokid are trying to jimmy rig it to act as radios, which is something they aren't built to be. I doubt that the original designers thought someone wouod put it on kids who would rebel. They were built for explorers.

• Options
    Well, if I said that you could either live in a box that might keep you from dying if the box doesn't get broken or you can go to a place that last time anyone was there it was radioactive and it should be ok in another three generations, what would you choose to do?

The box is already broken. Your options are go to the ground and maybe survive or stay in the box and hope you aren't among the other few hundred people who will have to be executed in order for anyone in said box to live. They obviously thought there was a non-zero chance that the Earth might be survivable, so you're just playing the lotto either way.
    The adults sent the kids who would have been killed anyhow once they became 18 to the radioactive place. The wrist bands were designed just for the basics, vitsl signs. The station and techokid are trying to jimmy rig it to act as radios, which is something they aren't built to be. I doubt that the original designers thought someone wouod put it on kids who would rebel. They were built for explorers.

Skipping over how ridiculous it is to put kids in detention until they turn 18, using up valuable resources, so that they can then be executed, given that you execute all criminals in order to conserve resources, 'how irradiated am I' is a critical piece of health information for someone in space. Keeping people living in space from becoming too irradiated to live is difficult. Living on an old-ass space station that's gradually falling apart would tend to increase the likelihood that some piece of shielding will wear down or break off and flood your compartment with radiation. So even assuming that the wristbands weren't made specifically for the Earth mission you'd think that would be a feature. And if it wasn't, coming up with a way to monitor the kids' radiation dosage as they move around down there seems like it would be important enough to devote some time and effort to. I mean, it's not like radiation is just distributed uniformly. There would be hot spots and cool spots. If they don't all just immediately start dying of radiation poisoning and if your goal isn't to just murder them in an extremely expensive fashion, giving them a way to tell if they're walking into a pile of highly radioactive rocks would tend to be a priority.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

The box is already broken. Your options are go to the ground and maybe survive or stay in the box and hope you aren't among the other few hundred people who will have to be executed in order for anyone in said box to live. They obviously thought there was a non-zero chance that the Earth might be survivable, so you're just playing the lotto either way.

Skipping over how ridiculous it is to put kids in detention until they turn 18, using up valuable resources, so that they can then be executed, given that you execute all criminals in order to conserve resources, 'how irradiated am I' is a critical piece of health information for someone in space. Keeping people living in space from becoming too irradiated to live is difficult. Living on an old-ass space station that's gradually falling apart would tend to increase the likelihood that some piece of shielding will wear down or break off and flood your compartment with radiation. So even assuming that the wristbands weren't made specifically for the Earth mission you'd think that would be a feature. And if it wasn't, coming up with a way to monitor the kids' radiation dosage as they move around down there seems like it would be important enough to devote some time and effort to. I mean, it's not like radiation is just distributed uniformly. There would be hot spots and cool spots. If they don't all just immediately start dying of radiation poisoning and if your goal isn't to just murder them in an extremely expensive fashion, giving them a way to tell if they're walking into a pile of highly radioactive rocks would tend to be a priority.

Are they "coming up" with anything. It's more like these are the descendants of actual scientists and engineers who know enough to - barely - keep things running. I'm not seeing much evidence of manufacturing or innovation - just kludges of old tech.

• Options

Are they "coming up" with anything. It's more like these are the descendants of actual scientists and engineers who know enough to - barely - keep things running. I'm not seeing much evidence of manufacturing or innovation - just kludges of old tech.

Maybe not. They apparently have the engineering know-how that one teenager can refit a century-old spacecraft alone in a week and a half and that another teenager at least believes he can build a radio out of a wristband. Even if they have no idea how any of the stuff works or how to build or modify it, though, I still find it completely unbelievable that a space station has no working, remote-monitorable radiation sensors. Assuming they haven't all stopped working (and thus making it a certainty that some of the space-walking engineers will periodically die of unexpected radiation poisoning) there ought to be exactly such things built into all of their EVA suits. Maybe not enough of them lying around to put one on every kid, but at least a few of them.

And if, somehow, they simply can't get their hands on radiation sensors, their doctors ought to be intimately familiar with diagnosing and treating radiation sickness. At least enough to recognize it in a vital stats feed.

• Options
    They dont kill off every kid when they turn 18. There is an appeal process if I remember correctly. Also, the doctor council lady didn't believe it was radiation just from their vitals, but I guess to prove she wasn't thinking outside of medical terms, she didn't think about them removing the bands. And they might of had some radiation detection device on the drop ship but it's not working because the drop ship is broken.

• Options
    vaethshuxunvaethshuxun Registered User new member
    I was expecting them to be complete shit.ce310.jpguk31.jpg
    h3t.jpgd3h.jpg

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Still watching, and so far it's still interesting enough to keep me coming back. The end of this episode was rather unexpected though. In hindsight, it was telegraphed a fair amount, but I was definitely surprised when it happened.
    It's a shame too, I thought Wells was an interesting character to have around on the ground. I'm curious how that'll resolve too, having a little girl murder one of their number, or if it'll be left a mystery to the others of who killed him.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    abotkin wrote: »
    Still watching, and so far it's still interesting enough to keep me coming back. The end of this episode was rather unexpected though. In hindsight, it was telegraphed a fair amount, but I was definitely surprised when it happened.
    It's a shame too, I thought Wells was an interesting character to have around on the ground. I'm curious how that'll resolve too, having a little girl murder one of their number, or if it'll be left a mystery to the others of who killed him.

Yeah the ending definitely shocked me,
    I had just assumed up until that point that they were setting the girl up to be a new recurring character of sorts, not the one to murder a character that they just made super likeable. How they resolve it will definitely be interesting, they showed them getting ready to kill that Jasper guy, thinking he did it, in the previews, but I doubt the show would be willing to show them doing the same to a kid as that would be super fucking dark for a network TV show.

• Options

I had just assumed up until that point that they were setting the girl up to be a new recurring character of sorts, not the one to murder a character that they just made super likeable. How they resolve it will definitely be interesting, they showed them getting ready to kill that Jasper guy, thinking he did it, in the previews, but I doubt the show would be willing to show them doing the same to a kid as that would be super fucking dark for a network TV show.
    CW can be dark. Worse things have happened on Supernatural, Arrow, The Originals and Vampire Diaries.

• Options

CW can be dark. Worse things have happened on Supernatural, Arrow, The Originals and Vampire Diaries.
    most of those get away with a lot due to the "they aren't humans they're vampires/werewolves/ghosts/etc" excuse which wouldn't apply here, but none of them have gone a far as showing a kid get strung up.

• Options
    most of those get away with a lot due to the "they aren't humans they're vampires/werewolves/ghosts/etc" excuse which wouldn't apply here, but none of them have gone a far as showing a kid get strung up.
    Humans die painfully on those shows.

Arrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CH5BIU1cKc

Vampire Diaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXy_8ry966Y

Supernatural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSmBLTPT1mM

The Originals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfFkgMH4Ms

This is the tip of the iceberg to human casualties on those shows. Kids have died, too.

• Options
    Well that's one way to avoid showing them do the same thing to Charlotte as they did to Murphy. Loved how dark that got!
    I do think that Charlotte would have been an interesting character to keep around for a bit longer, but I do like how it ended. Should be interesting to see what happens to Abby next week, I doubt the president will want to float her since they hinted at him having feelings for her last week.

• Options
    It seems like fulfilling your narrative purpose instantly gives you a red shirt in this show. :P

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Ok so I was yelling at this episode the whole time.
    Don't they have enough drop ships to get people off the Ark? Instead of murdering 300+ people, why not send them down? Its sure death vs. maybe this group will make it. I wanted to kill that asshole who destroyed the radio too. Little sister can't fall in love but you can sleep with all the whores you want to. Someone shank him already, even I would have a hard time following a prick like him.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ok so I was yelling at this episode the whole time.
    Don't they have enough drop ships to get people off the Ark? Instead of murdering 300+ people, why not send them down? Its sure death vs. maybe this group will make it. I wanted to kill that asshole who destroyed the radio too. Little sister can't fall in love but you can sleep with all the whores you want to. Someone shank him already, even I would have a hard time following a prick like him.
    To the first, they plan to go back to Earth eventually, so any dropships they have are likely being held back for that. They only sent the 100 down early because they needed to try and accelerate their plans due to the environmental systems failing. The drop ships they have are a non-renewable resource.
    It'd really suck if 30, 40 years in the future when they decide Earth is finally safe enough, but 300+ people have to stay here because grandpa decided to try and colonize early. Lot harder to get volunteers then, I'd imagine.

As to the radio thing, yeah, dick move. But dude's been a dick since before they landed, so it wasn't particularly surprising.

• Options
    Well, if he wasn't a murder before, he is now.