As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Whoa, whoa, @APODionysus.

The issue here is that you're thinking REMOVAL.

It's a 1/1.

Your deck should be able to answer a 1/1 without dedicating a card that could also remove a 6/6.

What color other than Red (and sometimes green with fight effects) has cards like that ? I mean they aren't swinging or blocking with the Maggot unless they HAVE to in order not to did.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    if they don't have to block with the maggot you aren't swinging hard enough

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    You're running Phenax, right? You could run a build which doesn't have any defenders, which will force an early chump block with that maggot. An exiled card is not worth losing 6 life on turn 3.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    seriously maggot is an aggro deck sb card and probably not much more

it is not the boogeyman or whatever

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Sigh

Between this thing and Deicide my Phenax deck just hates life right now.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Mesmeric fiend isn't a big deal. We will survive.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    saddest thing about deicide is I dont get my wish of xenagos wins the end to be how theros closes

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Sigh

Between this thing and Deicide my Phenax deck just hates life right now.

Negate? I mean, that is only getting played when he's already in the table, save two mana against white.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I think Deicide is my favorite card in Magic right now. It's just an example of near-perfect card design, from flavor (art, name, flavor text) to power to balance...damn. I might run 4 playing against red aggro that had no gods in it just because I love it so much. Even if I wasn't playing white.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Dictate of Erebos in a aristocrat/blood artist deck is gonna be pretty damn sweet.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I am not a fan of Deicide. It's pretty reliably an auto-include for white. Their are enough enchantments in this block that it will very rarely be a dead draw. Any deck that is built to work around a god is significantly worse now.

Defender mill is boned, Kruphix is now super risky to try and build mana with. Keranos as a win con for control is now super risky.

Blech.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    counterpoint: mono-black already made those unviable :bz

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

That isn't really true at all.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    For real though, if someone tags Phenax with that is their anything someone playing defender mill can do, or is it just time to concede?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    For real though, if someone tags Phenax with that is their anything someone playing defender mill can do, or is it just time to concede?

Well, there's still Jace (and the Jace/Guildmage combo). And if Phenax did any work before being knocked out, Consuming Aberration.

I've won a few games with Phenax sticking for long, but very few.

turtleant wrote: »
    I am not a fan of Deicide. It's pretty reliably an auto-include for white. Their are enough enchantments in this block that it will very rarely be a dead draw. Any deck that is built to work around a god is significantly worse now.

Defender mill is boned, Kruphix is now super risky to try and build mana with. Keranos as a win con for control is now super risky.

Blech.

This is kind where I'm coming down on it.

Belch

From a flavor standpoint it's fantastic.

But as a card?

Blech.

This set had some Gods that got me really excited. Kruphix. Keranos. The possibility for some crazy new decks. Now I feel like the rugs been pulled out from under me

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

It is as true as Deicide invalidating them!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

It is as true as Deicide invalidating them!

Now that might be true. I'm gonna write more when I get home but I honestly think this is a good thing that needed to happen. An emergency valve.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    This set had some Gods that got me really excited. Kruphix. Keranos. The possibility for some crazy new decks. Now I feel like the rugs been pulled out from under me

anyone boarding it in vs you in those instances probably lost already because that could very well be all it hits out of your deck

that half of the card is actually pretty narrow. you dont play enchantment/god hate vs a deck who is playing a 2 of god and maybe courser of kruphix as the only targets or whatever

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Holy shit that Deicide art.

I need a foil of that thing, stat.

And I don't even like foils.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think they showed the full painting during the PAX panel, it's got Ajani in it as well.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    hey so I have a question about card text related to trait doctoring that I think has an incredibly obvious answer but I want to check for fun: mana symbols in rules text do not represent actual text that trait doctoring can interact with, right?

for an example
    Ra5LPb5.jpg

I could trait doctoring to change what the devotion checks, but I couldn't change the color of the mana produced because the G symbol isn't text

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I believe that's correct. I think WotC doesn't like to change mana symbols on cards; I can't think of a card that lets you do it, and the different wordings between the old and new versions of Celestial Dawn suggest they're trying to avoid that sort of thing.

• Options
    With the rising number of enchantment creature tokens running around, I wonder if there's a Constellation/Populate deck out there.

• Options
    Oh I'm sure there is.

Heliod + chosen + growing ranks lets you create 3 tokens a turn, for four mana once (if all are in play). Throw in an Ephara's enlightenment and a vanguard of brimaz...

I don't know, probably?

• Options
    holy shit, I finally got the flavor of Renowned Weaver after reading MaRo's comic today

renownedweaver.jpg
    Arachne was a great weaver who boasted that her skill was greater than that of Athena, goddess of wisdom, weaving, and strategy... When Arachne refused to acknowledge that her skill came, in part at least, from the goddess, Athena took offense and set up a contest between the two.
    Athena's weaving represented four separate contests between mortals and the gods in which the gods punished mortals for setting themselves as equals of the gods. Arachne's weaving depicted ways that the gods had misled and abused mortals, particularly Zeus' tricking and sexually abusing of many women. Athena saw that Arachne has insulted the gods and ripped Arachne's work into shreds. Arachne hung herself. Moved to mercy, Athena gave Arachne life, but sprinkled her with Hecate's potion, turning her into a spider and cursing her and her descendants to weave for all time.

That's some awesome card design.

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Re: Deicide and things which are all creature types, the fact that it asks for "God card" tells me it needs to see the text on the card itself. But we won't know for sure until the set FAQ.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    It always struck me as weird that Athena took issue with Arachne being "Zeus is a rapist yo"

Since Athena was all GRRL POWER and was a virgin

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It always struck me as weird that Athena took issue with Arachne being "Zeus is a rapist yo"

He's still her dad (except when the lights are off).

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Still her dad and still also a god, which makes it beyond the station of mortals to question

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I tend to think of the gods as rich southern plantation owners who viewed the mortals as their property. Some of them might be horrible to mortals, some might be kind to mortals but in the end they all think it's absurd to think that mortals are the same as them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Plus most of the gods will fly off the handle for the flimsiest reasons.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    If decide ruins your deck it's a problem with your deck, not decide. You shouldn't be relying on a single card to win the game for you in the first place.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Plus most of the gods will fly off the handle for the flimsiest reasons.

"Who ate my Danish!? That's it, Athens is going in the ocean until one of you fuckers fess up!"

• Options
    Ok I've calmed down a bit on my Diecide panic.

Sure white decks are gonna be more scary.

But post board, I can bring in Duress and Negate. I was already bringing in more Psychic Strikes against Control.

For something like Wx humans, I have Drown in Sorrow which lets me lean less on my removal suite so I can still afford a Negate or two. Plus JOU will give me Scryfish which should help me makes sure I have that countermagic at the ready.

And I still have my alt wincons with Jace, Aberration, and perhaps most importantly the Jace/Guildmage combo play.

Control might be a lost cause now. They already are a tough match because of DSphere and countermagic (honestly Verdict hasn't been a huge issue... I usually just held back on more than one or two walls at a time so I had insurance. They aren't exactly threatening my life total early). Plus they sometimes have Elixer in their board. Diecide too makes the matchup... untenable.

But it's not like my deck was ever gonna be competitive (unless I get Crabs). The good news is I'm not as screwed as I thought and it should still be fun to play.

This does make me reconsider actually dumping the cash into making an Atheos WB aggro humans deck though.

• Options
    Them boarding in a 2-of deicide against your 4 of athreos is not a big deal.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Them boarding in a 2-of deicide against your 4 of athreos is not a big deal.

Except they only need one.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, a deck which hinges on Athreos is actually in a worse state than a Phenax mill deck. Against Decide.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't think UWx control is gonna run Deicide when they have Detention Sphere.

• Options
    And Banishing Light! Although we probably won't see Banishing Light get serious play until rotation and control tries to keep itself alive.

• Options
    Brave the elements or renounce the guilds would help there. The idea is that before they draw their two of you would get value out of your four of. Always assuming that they have their silver bullet waiting just makes games seem impossible.

This discussion has been closed.