As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[X-COM: Enemy Within LP] Do not stand at my grave and weep.

sarukunsarukun RIESLINGOCEANRegistered User regular
edited May 2014 in Social Entropy++
The year is 1994. The setting is [redacted], America's Heartland. The United States National Guard has dispatched a team of four Active Guard Reservists to recon a disturbance at a local fast food restaurant. All forms of communication relying on the transmission of electromagnetic signals directed at or passing through the area in question are being disrupted: the handful of cellular telephones in operation in the area cannot be reached. Landlines are faring no better. Televisions and radios within a ten block radius are recieving only static. Communications from the fringe surrounding this EM blackout suggest that something unprecedented has come to call on the citizens of Main Street, USA: unprecedented, and malevolent.

The following transcript and accompanying photographs have come to me at great cost. The mission described by these artifacts of a simpler, more peaceful time contains incontrovertible proof that the United States Government, and very likely those of many other nations, has been aware of and actively tried to conceal the existence of alien life from the public. The contents are extremely graphic, but are presented here unedited to let the record stand unaltered.

Press on, fellow denizen of the Earth, and discover the Truth.

TRANSCRIPT OF OPERATION "SACRED NIGHT"
DATE: [redacted]-[redacted]-94; TIME STAMP: 19:37
PERSONNEL: PV2. [redacted], PV2. [redacted], PV2. [redacted], PVC. [redacted], CPL. [redacted]

OperationSacredNight_zps3e6503fc.jpg

PV2: Man, [redacted], you ever fly in one of these things? This is the raddest deploy ever.

CPL. [redacted]: Stow the chatter, Private. Gentlemen, you have been briefed, you have your orders, and I am only too sure you've seen the whole lot of nothin' the local news has been reporting about this mess. Now I hate to admit it, boys, but Uncle Sam has about as much idea of what's going on out there on the streets of [redacted] as lovely Miss [redacted] on Channel [redacted]. Radio communications are dead. You may encounter emergency personnel and a whole lot of scared, confused civilians. Due to the comms blackout, you will be weapons free the moment we touch down, but I urge you to exercise caution and restraint before you make the choice to open fire. That said, if you feel the need to defend yourself, or have the opportunity to neutralize whatever it may be that is causing all this, you are authorized to do so with prejudice. Any questions?

SQUAD: Sir, no sir!

CPL. [redacted]: Good! Watch your asses out there. We will be here for pick up in two hours, or when you reestablish radio contact. You are all equipped with flares should you be unable to reach the rendezvous in time for pick up; if we see red smoke, we will wait for you for one hour. Good luck gentlemen.

TheDrop_zps646776bb.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Testing, testing, one, two.... Hey, [redacted], how the hell are we supposed to know if the little recorder thingy is going?

PFC [redacted]: Hell, I don't know. Is the little CD spinning?

PV2 [redacted]: I can't tell.

PFC [redacted]: Just shut up and keep your eyes peeled.

PV2 [redacted]: Yes sir, Private First Class [redacted], sir.

PFC [redacted]: If that thing's recording, you're gonna get written up for insubordination, idiot.

PV2 [redacted]: ... Shit.

PV2 [redacted]: Man, it's quiet. Anybody hear any traffic at all?

[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]

PFC [redacted]: Where?

PV2 [redacted]: Over there by the Burger Belle.

PV2 [redacted]: Oh, man, you think they left any Belle Burgers sittin' under the lamps?

PFC [redacted]: Goddammit, [redacted], will you straighten up! We're on tape for this one.

PV2 [redacted]: I can't help it, man, I'm starving.

PFC [redacted]: You're gonna be on PK duty for a month.

PV2 [redacted]: Squad Leader, I, uh... I think I found something.

LZ_zps2b096371.jpg

PFC [redacted]: What is it, [redacted]?

PV2 [redacted]: Well, more like stepped in it, really. Not sure, sir, it's... uh, green.

PV2 [redacted]: Is it... is that... was that a fuckin' guy?

PFC [redacted]: Shut the fuck up, [redacted], that's an order. Your gonna get us all sniped.

PV2 [redacted]: Oh my God.

PV2 [redacted]: I'm gonna throw up.

PFC [redacted]: All right, ladies, shit is now officially real. We're going to sweep the restaurant and see if we can figure out what the fuck is going on here.

EndTurn1_zps3b8658c0.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Not so fucking hungry now, huh, [redacted]?

PV2 [redacted]: Fuck you, man, fuck you, oh Jesus, what the fuck.

PFC [redacted]: Get your shit together, [redacted], I swear to God.

PV2 [redacted]: Yes sir. Yes sir. Jesus.

PV2 [redacted]: Okay, now what in the hell is that, exactly?

PFC [redacted]: What do you got, [redacted]?

Meld1_zps26113333.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Over there sir, by the drive-through window. Some kinda... glowy... orange... fuck if I know, sir.

PFC [redacted]: I see it, with the spinning top thing.

PV2 [redacted]: Maybe it's a jammer, sir? Could be jamming up the radios and TVs and all that shit?

PV2 [redacted]: If it is, it's the tiniest fuckin' jammer in history.

PFC [redacted]: Go check it out, [redacted].

PV2 [redacted]: Holy Mary, Mother of God, what in the ever living fuck is that!?

XS-O-1-Sectoid_zpsd7851693.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Calm the fuck down, Private!

PV2 [redacted]: Fuck you, [redacted], look at those fucking things! They're fucking.... they're fucking martians, man!

PFC [redacted]: I don't give a shit where they're from, they're on American soil and we're the National motherfucking Guard with weapons free authorization. Check your safeties and--

PV2 [redacted]: Look, they're backing off.

PV2 [redacted]: What the fuck is it doing?

EndTurn2_zps744c3420.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Am I seeing things or are there a bunch more of the motherfuckers out back?

PV2 [redacted]: Jesus. Jesus, motherfucker, Jesus.

PFC [redacted]: [redacted], you need to shut the fuck up. If those things are armed, you're going to get shot in the face.

PV2 [redacted]: Sorry, [redacted]... I mean, sir.

PFC [redacted]: [redacted], go take a look at that... jammer thing. If we can turn it off, maybe we can radio for back up.

PV2 [redacted]: Moving, Squad Leader.

PFC [redacted]: Anything?

PV2 [redacted]: Doesn't look like... I really have no idea what I'm.... Oh. Well what the fuck do you know about that?

Meld2_zpsf4f022dd.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Private [redacted]?

PV2 [redacted]: I touched it and it turned off. See, the top came off. Some kind of... [redacted], I got no idea what the fuck this is. It's like... translucent... orange....

PV2 [redacted]: Alien sex lube?

PV2 [redacted]: Shut up, [redacted]. Squad Leader, I see another... pylon, I guess? Other end of the drive-through.

PFC [redacted]: Heads up, guys, we're moving. [redacted], I want you under that window; keep an eye on our little gray friends. [redacted], stay with [redacted], I just know the brass are gonna want to take a good close look at whatever the fuck that goo is. [redacted], you're with me. You go around the right side, gonna put these fuckers in a cross fire. I'll breach the restaurant through the window.

PV2 [redacted]: You got it, squad leader.

[shattering glass]

PFC [redacted]: I'm in. All points clear. [redacted], get your ass in gear.

PV2 [redacted]: Oh jeez, oh God, shit shit shit shit.... [[redacted] weapons fire] ow, motherfucker.

FirstContact_zpsbb331b88.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Is that... were those... do we have shots fired, [redacted]?

PV2 [redacted]: You're motherfucking right we got shots fired, [redacted] you motherfucker.

PFC [redacted]: Quit your bitchin' and give me a sit. rep., Private.

PV2 [redacted]: Motherfucking burns, Squader Leader, sir. Okay? The motherfuckers burned right through my gear and my skin smells like barbecue!

PV2 [redacted]: You sure that's not the Belle Burgers you're smellin'?

PV2 [redacted]: Fuck you, [redacted].

PFC [redacted]: Suck it up, [redacted]. The fuck do you have there, a rubber-band launcher? Give 'em hell.

[conventional weapons fire]

PV2 [redacted]: Goddammit, [redacted], I can't hit shit with this bum arm.

PV2 [redacted]: You could never hit shit anyway. Keep your head down.

PFC [redacted]: Anything?

PV2 [redacted]: Nothing, Squad Leader, E.T.'s keepin' his giant head good and down.

PFC [redacted]: Okay, [redacted], you're with me. Let's see how well E.T. covers his flanks.

Flanking_zps27115cff.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Uh,oh, [redacted]. Looks like E.T. didn't like me and [redacted] takin' a pot shot at him. Head's up, [redacted], he's headed our way.... Wait, what in the hell is that...?

EndTurn3_zps5c290c97.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Talk to me, [redacted], what do you see?

PV2 [redacted]: The motherfucker's heads are glowing. One of them's... connected to the other one by his fuckin' head, [redacted].

PV2 [redacted]: Jesus, [redacted], get your fuckin' head down.

PFC [redacted]: [redacted], so help me God....

PV2 [redacted]: Fuck you, Squad Leader, I'm fuckin' done. I'm getting the fuck out--

[[redacted] weapons fire]

ManDown_zps4e44178b.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: [unintelligible]

Pv2 [redacted]: Oh Jesus, [redacted].

PFC [redacted]: [redacted]?

PV2 [redacted]: He's down, Squad Leader, [redacted] is... is down. It tore right through the fucking wall and still hit him. Jesus, the blood....

PFC [redacted]: [redacted] may have been an asshole, but he was one of my assholes. The Corporal said this mission was weapons free? Well let's show these fuckers what weapons free means here in [redacted]. Put a frag down their throats, [redacted].

PV2 [redacted]: Yes sir.

PFC [redacted]: Careful with that jammer pylon.

PV2 [redacted]: Moving to cover. Frag out.

[explosion]
CollateralDamage_zpsefe4fcb5.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Nice throw, [redacted]. The Burger Belle's totally fucked, but the pylon's in one piece.

PV2 [redacted]: That's for [redacted], you motherfuckers. You hear that? I got two of you little shits.

[explosion]

EndTurn5_zpsacc433b3.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Holy--! That poor guy's Saturn just went, looks like... along with the rest of that wall.

PFC [redacted]: Move up, [redacted]. If it looks like the roof is gonna go, I want you under something.

PV2 [redacted]: Yes, sir. Moving to the fryolator, sir.

PV2 [redacted]: Incoming!

EndTurn3a_zps026fbfb5.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: You all right, [redacted]?

PFC [redacted]: Yes... yeah, he missed me.

PV2 [redacted]: Well, fuck if he's gonna get another shot.

PFC [redacted]: Get up his ass and put a bullet in it, [redacted]!

PV2 [redacted]: Sir, yes sir.

Fire_zpsb5244440.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Give me good news, [redacted]

PV2 [redacted]: I got him. I got the son of a bitch.

EndTurn4_zps4aebc637.jpg

PFC [redacted]: Great, moving to you. See if you can put some bullets in one of these fuckers, [redacted].

PV2 [redacted]: On it, Squad Leader.

PFC [redacted]: Talk to me, [redacted], I can't see through walls.

PV2 [redacted]: I don't think I hit shit, Squad Leader, too much dust and smoke to be--

EndTurn5a_zps9a966b4f.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Okay, that I saw. Jesu--

EndTurn5b_zpsce6bdc1b.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Motherfuckers, they are pissed at me.

PFC [redacted]: Private?

PV2 [redacted]: I'm a sitting duck out here, sir. They got my fryolator.

PFC [redacted]: What do you want, [redacted], a written invitation? Get into cover.

SectoidOverwatch_zpsbbb86e18.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Holy sweet mother of Christ.

PFC [redacted]: You all right, [redacted]?

PV2 [redacted]: Yeah, [redacted], E.T.'s just trying to give me a shave with his small arms, is all.

PFC [redacted]: Hang on, Private. [redacted].

PV2 [redacted]: I got 'em, Squad Leader, don't you worry about that.

Two-Fer_zpsb2d68838.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Frag's out.

[explosion]

PFC [redacted]: Jesus, [redacted], you think you could have gotten any closer to that pylon.

PV2 [redacted]: With all due respect, squad leader, it looks like it's still spinning to me.

PFC [redacted]: Your flank's clear, Private, now do something about it.

PV2 [redacted]: Oh, yes sir.

StillUp_zps6ca168f5.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Yeah, eat that. Eat that you piece of shit. Eat fuckin'... holy shit.

PFC [redacted]: Private?

PV2 [redacted]: He's... he's still kicking, sir. I shot him in the fucking face, and he didn't go down.

PFC [redacted]: Time for me to get my hands dirty, I guess. I know what'll put him down. Head down, [redacted], cuz a frag's going out.

[explosion]
LastOne_zps32775776.jpg

PV2 [redacted]: Jesus, [redacted].

[PFC [redacted]: Hey, you're still standing, right?

PV2 [redacted]: Be a while before I hear anything out of this ear again.

PV2 [redacted]: More than I can say for these fuckers... and poor [redacted].

PFC [redacted]: [redacted], go hit that other pylon and see if we can't radio in some back up. If there are more of those things out here, we're going to lose a lot more men that just [redacted].

[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]

[recording ends]

SacredNight-Success_zps94f8f5ec.jpg

The above transcript and photographs were delivered to me by an anonymous source in the Central Intelligence Agency. In light of the incidents now taking place around the globe, he felt that it was time for the Truth to be told: though perhaps too late. If we are to survive the days ahead, we must demand accountability from our leaders. We must demand action. Let us show them that collusion with these monsters is not an option. Let us show them that we will not submit; that treason will be paid back in blood and fire.

SEMPER VIGILO
PER CONFIDO, VIRTVS
POPVLVS EXALT

- "Xeno Gate" Leak and "Vigilo Manifesto"
Composed: April 11, 2015
By: [redacted] "Strange Monkey Man" [redacted], Hacktivist

Arrested: April 15, 2014

Recruited: November 18, 2014

sarukun on

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    This is very interesting to my interests as a regular civilian like you, citizen!

Perhaps we could discuss it and more government secrets in this unmarked van!

chiasaur11 on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Feel free to be signings up if you have not already.

As stated in the previous thread, I will be taking pity on all those who ate shit early in the last one, like I had the misfortune of doing; those gentlemen and ladies will be auto-signed up.

Edit: I just got a neat idea for this.

Edit: Sign ups are, as per usual, on a first-come, first served basis, with a few caveats. To begin with, there will only be 11 slots. You may sign up after the slots have been filled, but you will have to wait for a new batch of recruits to come in. Furthermore, as I said, some of the people who signed up last round died (more or less) immediately, and that sucks, so I'm giving them a fresh start. They will have priority on picking from the 11 slots!

FirstBatch_zps30874ab3.jpg

There's our first 11!

@Karl, @Sticks‌, and "Blythe 6th" were our only 0-killers, (who all died on their debut missions), so they get first crack at the new blood.

"Nickety" was also cut down in his/her prime with 1 kill, but I've no idea who they were! They will get to pick after the first 3 folks, provided they are found in time! Dunno if the GOLIATH robot was ever actually person...?

@Gatsby, you are next on our list, followed by @Bogey (if you are into it) and @Mulletude! Come on down!

And since there is only one remaining solider who was killed in action, I might as well extend the courtesy; @Yaya, you are also a contestant on XCOM: Getting shot in the face.

If you would like to have anything changed, be it hairstyle, voice-over, or name, please indicate below what you want! Sadly, I cannot change Nationalities or genders. If you have a preference for a particular nationality or gender, please say so and I will be happy to try and accommodate you. My plan is to have everyone's callsign match their forum handle, so IF YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO GIVE YOU A DIFFERENT CALLSIGN, PLEASE SAY SO. This is mostly for my sanity, as I don't want the continuity of callsigns to change throughout the LP! Because I am an OCD crazy person!

You will all be selecting from these wonderful prizes.

AS-Murakami_zpsb5cfbcbe.jpg

HV-Stewart_zps68b78917.jpg

SP-King_zps22712452.jpg

Our first 3 Squaddies, with dark and mysterious pasts. Rumor going 'round the barracks is that these old farts have already seen combat with the grody xenos! These are open to Our illustrious 0-kill players, unless they choose to pass on them for one of THESE guys!

RK-Burns_zps5c08be2c.jpg

RK-Mubu_zpse982bb09.jpg

RK-Petrova_zps36eff4e8.jpg

RK-Bengu_zpsf54e53e7.jpg

Rk-Semyenova_zps1c9cf634.jpg

RK-Kohler_zps074c1dbe.jpg

RK-Haddad_zps63d2e0b1.jpg

RK-Mehra_zpse1047a47.jpg

I have no idea who the hell "Blythe 6th" was last go-round, so if somebody knows, alert the internet so they can come in here and take a stab at shooting more aliens!

Like wise, "Nickety" was not on the sign ups from last thread, and there's no apparent reference to their forum name. Let the call go forth!

Also! If you would rather be a pilot or have a Moblie Weapons Platform named after you, I'm happy to do that for you too! Just let me know what you want!

For those who already indicated they wanted to play, @Rainfall, @Caulk Bite 6, @Mysterious Fox, @Dead Legend, @Yermum, if you are any of the people who I couldn't figure out noted above, speak up! Other wise, get ready to make your selections this week! There are technically 11 of you and only twelve slots, with Yermum bringing up the rear, so unless some of you are our missing mystery people, or some of them choose not to participate (or sign up as a pilot or a MWP), it's unlikely that we'll be able to get the first batch all in, but you guys are set for the next round if we can't put you in this one.

To the rest of the forum, feel free to sign on up!

@smof, don't worry about a thing, I still haven't forgotten you. :3

sarukun on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    !Sign up, provided that makes any sense since I was still alive at the end of the last one.

ASimPerson on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    I too would like to !Sign up even though I too was still alive at the end of the last one.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I was the intrepid/inept "Nickety"! Do your worst Commander, I'm sure I'll get over the flashbacks in time.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    !Sign Up

Full disclosure, I lived through Commander smof's run, but as it turns out, I really like shooting aliens.

I wonder what that says about me.

[IMG][/img]
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    good luck, XCOM!

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    !Sign Up

If possible I would like to take Elena Petrova if spots are still available, renamed to Glasya Petrova callsign, Lady Asmodeus

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    !Sign Up

Chrissie Burns if I may.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd like to !Sign Up to die in a horrible spray of alien plasma, if there's still space available.
    Maybe this will be the X-com LP that nets me my first kill before I get reduced to a puddle of burning goo.

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Oh wait nevermind you already tagged me! Woohoo! Time to die!

Rainfall on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    @sarukun if we're selecting soldiers can I call dibs on Emeka Mubu?

I think I understood the directions.

Just use me as you see fit in glorious combat against the alien invaders

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    !Sign Up

Full disclosure, I lived through Commander smof's run, but as it turns out, I really like shooting aliens.

I wonder what that says about me.

It says you came to the right place.

Rainfall wrote: »
    Oh wait nevermind you already tagged me! Woohoo! Time to die!

Pick a dude or a lady, a name, and a callsign if you want it to be something different from your forum handle!

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I'll take Raniya Haddad, renamed to Rainya Haddad(oh ho ho)

Hair 12, Color 19, Armor Tint 8. Bright and glorious blue forever!

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    !Sign Up
    Let me at them! I'm not scared!

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    !Sign Up

Maria Semyenova, please. and a sweat black punky haircut son

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    well, I'm glad I went searching for an Xcom thread, because I was Caulkious J. Blythe the 6th

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    oh and also, Beagle just started a new Ironman Impossible
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeHJ2RU1e0

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Ooh ooh can I get on the end of the queue? !Sign Up
    I'm happy to wait until more recruits are called, if it helps.

forumsig.png
    oh and also, Beagle just started a new Ironman Impossible
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeHJ2RU1e0

Holy cow, this looks amazing.

@Fishman download this mod and do an LP after I finish this one. :D

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    How can you forget Starbuck? He was the best dead person ever!

This looks cool. It also makes me look at how much effort you're making and feel so glad to be a spectator this time.

I need to remember that you are no longer smof.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It would require considerably less effort if I had Photoshop, but trying to bend paint to my will is kind of fun in its own way.

sarukun wrote: »

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It would require considerably less effort if I had Photoshop, but trying to bend paint to my will is kind of fun in its own way.

photoshop cs2 is free

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited April 2014
    sarukun wrote: »

photoshop cs2 is free

Oh my God, this is amazing, thank you so much.

Edit: It's been so fucking long since I've had Photoshop, I am actually super jazzed to do a lot of fun photo editing!

sarukun on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    !Sign Up

I hope this isn't too late!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    It is not, I promised myself I would wait about a week before going ahead.

I was feeling like an idiot yesterday, but today I feel like I did the right thing.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'd like to Sign Up! too.
    But I was still alive at the end of Smof's playthrough so I don't mind being stuck at the back of the queue.
    Oh and I'd prefer being a lady if I get a chance to play, but other than that I don't mind.

Halos Nach Tariff on
    edited April 2014
    and yeah, I'll totally go for one of the old fogies.

though regular forum name is fine.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited April 2014
    Roll-call, everypeoples!

Fair warning, I like names, so I took some creative liberties. If you had something else in mind or plain old don't like what I stuck you with, speak up and I will change it!

In no particular order, the Veterans!
    1. @Caulk Bite 6
    Playing the part of Squaddie Colin Stewart: Culkin Blythe VI
    HV-Stewart_zps68b78917.jpg

2. @Snicketysnick‌
    Playing the part of Squaddie Takumi Murakami: Nicholas Shoumin ("Nick Nicholas"- Nicholas means "people's victory", Shou is "victory" and min is "people")
    AS-Murakami_zpsb5cfbcbe.jpg

3. @Brogey‌
    Playing the part of Squaddie Sam King: Paul Bogestrom (Don't hurt 'em, Paul!)
    SP-King_zps22712452.jpg

In order of sign-up, the rookies!
    4. @Rainfall‌
    Playing the part of Raniya Haddad: Rainya Haddad
    RK-Haddad_zps63d2e0b1.jpg

5. @Dead Legend
    Playing the part of Emeka Mubu: Umufi Isihlabani (the best Zulu translation I could do for "Dead Legend")
    RK-Mubu_zpse982bb09.jpg

6. @ASimPerson‌
    Playing the part of Mihir Mehra: Nakal Vyakwi (best Hindi translation I could do for "Simulation Person")
    RK-Mehra_zpse1047a47.jpg

7. @Feriluce‌
    Playing the part of Iman Bengu: Arugbo Ejo (Yoruba for "Old Man Serpent", a play on what appears to be a near-anagram of Lucifer?)
    RK-Bengu_zpsf54e53e7.jpg

8. @Romanian My Escutcheon
    Playing the part of Maria Semyenova: Ruminka Ekran (best translation I could do for "Romanian Shield")
    Rk-Semyenova_zps1c9cf634.jpg

9. @Lord_Asmodeus‌
    Playing the part of Elena Petrova: Glasya Petrova
    RK-Petrova_zps36eff4e8.jpg

10. @scherbchen‌
    Playing the part of Chrissie Burns: Chrissie Burns! (You gotta help me out here, I had no idea how to get clever with your name.)
    RK-Burns_zps5c08be2c.jpg

11. @see317‌
    Playing the part of Martha Kohler: Martha Kohler! (Likewise, I really have no idea what to do with your name.)
    RK-Kohler_zps074c1dbe.jpg

A couple of these are reallllly reaching, and while they were fun to make, they may not be immediately recognizable. That should get cleared up once everybody gets callsigns (as I said, my plan is to make your forum handle your callsign), but in the meant time I probably won't start playing this team until Monday! That being the case, if you don't like your name, your hairstyle, or pretty much anything else about your avatar, You've got until Monday before these things become written in stone as the most canon-y of canons! Those of you who expressed interest up front in a given soldier have been accommodated per the order in which you signed up! To those of you who didn't make it in this round, don't fret! I'm sure all these people will be dead by Monday afternoon!
    How can you forget Starbuck? He was the best dead person ever!
    @Brovid Hasselsmof‌ Dangit, did I miss somebody? Can you @ them? I slogged through that thread for like an hour last week, I'm afraid to go back to it. I'll put whoever I missed in line.

@Calamity Jane‌ Unfortunately, you signed up a little late to get Madame Semyenova, but I'm pretty sure most of these scrubs will be monkey food by next week anyway, and we'll have a fresh round of wide-eyed, dashing young recruits ready to fail to save the world. Just don't tell them I said that! Wouldn't want morale to suffer!

sarukun on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I haven't played in a while, what kind of changes can you make to the Avatars in game?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited April 2014
    An excellent question!

Lemme fire it up and get back to you.

Edit: So these are the available options.

Options_zpsf2055e53.jpg
    Incredibly, the XCOM Wiki doesn't have a list of all the various skin types, face types, hair styles, or helmet styles! So here's a handy-dandy graphic that will hopefully help a little bit.

Really_zps35745cf0.jpg
    As you can see there are only four skin types. Apparently there is no difference between people from the Indian subcontinent and people from Mexico. Likewise is there apparently no difference between Mexicans and people from South America. Similarly, there is apparently no difference between South Americans and people from the Middle East! Dang Firaxis, I know you're trying to save some time on making art assets, but you could have done a little better than having a "brown people" category. Especially since you then gave it less face options than the "white people" category! :neutral_face:

Poor race relations aside, I went ahead and threw in all the helmet options, because there were only about 20 of them and they're the same for male and female. If you're dead set on any particulars, just shout out the category and respective numbers (if you can find them! I wasn't able to, and it took me like an hour to make the above graphics because I'm relearning how Photoshop works!) and I'll make adjustments. Otherwise, just gimmie some ballpark descriptions and I'll show you the results.

sarukun on
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    @sarukun I only have one request and that be a hat and a headset. Shades if that option is there (don't have access to my comp otherwise I'd look up the exact #)

I'm sure Umufi will do a fine job with Emeka Mubu. God speed.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Can I have a beard?

*Also that is a totally bitchin' name!

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    can i go ahead and !Sign Up now even though the current spots are taken? i mean, this is practically a meat grinder so there should be an open spot in like a day!

also damn i've been meaning to play the XCOM expansion and haven't gotten round to it.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
    I find it interesting that my guy has the highest will of the lot.

Also, I commend you for blindly intuiting that I'd want to be the Heavy Weapons Guy.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Hmm, I would like Helmet option number 19 because it is cool please

I find it interesting that my guy has the highest will of the lot.

Also, I commend you for blindly intuiting that I'd want to be the Heavy Weapons Guy.

Mostly I wanted Bogey to be the black guy and I had a clever idea for Snickety, so you got stuck with the dude from Scotland.

edited April 2014
    Can I have a beard?

*Also that is a totally bitchin' name!

Any particular style?

There's like 23 variations, including ones with sideburns. :P

sarukun on