As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gary Webcomics Thread, Featuring Gary. No Garyshaming.

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    You know, if a Canadian operative was going to infiltrate and subvert the US government, I'm glad it was Ryan North.

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica
    tries to post, but is deflected by the gary shield.

As he flies into the horizon, he can be heard yelling "CURSE YOU GARIESSSSSSSSSsssss....."

Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    tries to post, but is deflected by the gary shield.

As he flies into the horizon, he can be heard yelling "CURSE YOU GARIESSSSSSSSSsssss....."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I guess they were always wearing long-sleeved undershirts?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    the....gary...shield????

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    All Garies are repellent

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    TB_02_501.jpg

Looks like Tama's gonna educate the shit out of some kids.

It's like 300 years is a long time for humans and things can be forgotten, you adorable fossil.

Good thing we don't forget anything these days.

• Options
    From the archives:

20091215.png

Eh.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Maybe we'll finally find out exactly how Bobby Swaps acquired the bow tie.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I guess they were always wearing long-sleeved undershirts?

Well the weather's a lot colder than a hundred strips ago. Maybe they put on something warmer.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    2014-04-17-OHS%20193%20WEB.jpg

O Human Star is a comic about all this newfangled stuff. It contains some newfangled sex.

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like Ronnie.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Deny The Archime

Stand Strong Against Garies

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    comic.php?date=02022007

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    the last panel slid across the table while maintaining unbroken eye contact

oHAYb67.png

i want to spend time with you doing activities. why does that sound weird? okay, let me try again: i want us to be in the same room together but we keep our clothes on and DON'T have sex. intrigued??

vQ77AtR.png
  • Options
    comic.php?date=08042003

• Options
    edited April 2014
    x

imdointhis on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    can we not keep reposting that particular comic? I don't find dehumanizing slurs to be particularly hilarious punchlines.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    oh im sorry, are transexuals not humans now?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    imdointhis for fuck's sake

Don't even begin

The point is that calling someone a "tranny" is roughly equivalent to calling a person a host of other hateful slurs. Take your pick! Some of them will get you banned to even say!

I love Onstadt's humor as much as anyone but that particular comic has been called out as offensive to trans forumers in the past

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The point is that calling someone a "tranny" is roughly equivalent to calling a person a host of other hateful slurs. Take your pick! Some of them will get you banned to even say!

That's just your opinion? I didn't know that being transexual was anything to be ashamed of. :/

Sorry, guess i'm just not wrapped up in the whole "this word is hateful and you should feel bad" scene.

• Options
    but yeah man if its offensive to someone i wont post it. didnt know it was a thing.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    imdointhis wrote: »

That's just your opinion? I didn't know that being transexual was anything to be ashamed of. :/

Sorry, guess i'm just not wrapped up in the whole "this word is hateful and you should feel bad" scene.

are you really doin' this?

broken image link
  • Options

are you really doin' this?

truthfully, sometimes i feel like im just phoning it in.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Like there's nothing wrong with being gay but "faggot" is still a slur that you shouldn't use.

It's the same with "tranny".

broken image link
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty sure you did, because this has come up more than once, and you post like 90% of all Achewood postings

But that's irrelevant I guess

And for the record, "tranny" is not a cute way to shorten transgender or transsexual or transman or transwoman or trans-anything. It's like using "queer" as a noun. Reclamation or having roots in an inoffensive term is not the same thing as being inoffensive.

Again: it is not a term of affection. It is a hateful slur that the character in the comic is repeating because he heard it somewhere. It is a word that is used to dehumanize trans people of all stripes.

Remember that you do not get to choose what is or is not offensive. Just internalize this conversation and move on.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

it's not about being ashamed of it, it's that that particular word is a particularly vile, insulting way to describe transgender individuals.

also known as a "slur". If someone called you out for posting a comic that used the "n-word" as a punchline, would your response be "being black isn't something to be ashamed of?"

Guess what chuckles, you don't get to decide whether or not a word is harmful, that's up to the people being harmed by it (and also the moderators of this forum)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Wait the one with Phillepe?

The point of that comic is he doesnt know what hes saying and hes five. Also he should not be around most of these people because they say things like that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you did, because this has come up more than once, and you post like 90% of all Achewood postings

But that's irrelevant I guess

And for the record, "tranny" is not a cute way to shorten transgender or transsexual or transman or transwoman or trans-anything. It's like using "queer" as a noun. Reclamation or having roots in an inoffensive term is not the same thing as being inoffensive.

Again: it is not a term of affection. It is a hateful slur that the character in the comic is repeating because he heard it somewhere. It is a word that is used to dehumanize trans people of all stripes.

Remember that you do not get to choose what is or is not offensive. Just internalize this conversation and move on.

and you would be correct!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/28282149/#Comment_28282149

it wasn't by accident I called him out on this, it's a comic that really doesn't bear re-posting

• Options
    it has been 0 days since we had this argument about that particular achewood comic

vQ77AtR.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2014
    The joke of the comic is "Child says slur." which isn't really all that cool.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    The use of queer is debatable, honestly

But don't be dropping the t-word like it's yours to use, please

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    It is not one of Onstadt's better bits by any stretch of the imagination

But moving on:

Is Ava's Demon updating again

I haven't caught up in like eight months

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    edit: and apparently my browser failed to refresh the thread correctly.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    The use of queer is debatable, honestly

But don't be dropping the t-word like it's yours to use, please

Queer as a noun? Maybe it's colloquial to where I come from but I've never heard it used in a way that wasn't hateful

Like "a queer individual," sure, I've heard that used in lots of neutral or positive ways, but

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod

It's on hiatus until April 21st to handle Kickstarter stuff.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    That chick that posted the personal blog comic about her coming out had 0 problem with calling herself queer.

I have no problem with being called Tranny. If my makeup looks awful and my clothing looks awful, I have no problem being called a big hot tranny mess.

I'm not sure when you people decided you get to decide whats hateful or not, but, I guess more power to you?

But don't try to get me to goose step with you, I'm not about all that hate.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Ava's Demon book is so purty, even if the colors don't pop quite as well as in the webcomic format, since a lot of the shading really benefits from having a backlight for extra glowyness

I hope the rest of her kickstarter is going okay!

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Speaking of hiatuses. Hiati?

jTLrrMu.png

Kiwi Blitz is back!
    Yo guys! First off, I’m so happy to be back to updating KB! For now, the comic will be updating once a week on Friday. However, we’re currently working up a buffer so it can move to twice a week as soon as possible.

I say We because, as you might have noticed from the art, I’ve brought on a collaborator for the first time! The new penciler of KB is Grace Liu, who you might know as Nargyle! Nargyle is seriously one of my favorite artists, period, and it’s a huge honor to have her working on KB with me. You are gonna flip when you see some of these upcoming pages! Her style is so animated and expressive, I can’t take it! >:0

Meanwhile, I’ll continue handling the writing, inks, and colors. So please don’t think this in any way means I’m losing interest in working on the comic! Penciling has honestly always been the hardest part for me, so bringing on a talented collaborator to handle that part lets me focus on the stuff I feel more comfortable and skilled at. Plus, it leaves more time for more pages!

Obviously the site could use some updating, and there’s also some other items of interest on their way. But for now, welcome back and Happy 5 Years of KB!

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

It's on hiatus until April 21st to handle Kickstarter stuff.

That's really soon!

Aw yeah

That's one of my favorite comics

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    home1-2.jpg
    home2.jpg
    Sufficiently Remarkable is a fun little webcomic by a fun big dude

This discussion has been closed.