As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So there was an 'undo' button on that machine? :|

I will say i enjoyed the run. And you knew the almighty 'status quo' would return.... but.... ctrl-c is a bit lame an ending.

Copy?

CRAP I mean X. D:

Cut?

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, I was really hoping that the big, epic ending to the whole Superior storyline would be more than just
    Otto stroking Peter's ego. Because, really, the idea that Peter Parker, Master Of Competence, would have been able to avoid this whole secret Goblin plan from coming to fruition because he's less of a jerk than Spock doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense to me.

Except that
    A reason that things got this bad was Spock's reliance on his spiderbots monitoring the city and constantly handing off things to the cops when he didn't deem it worth his time. Things wouldn't have escalated nearly this much with Peter.

Regarding the ending:
    I liked it. The whole run has been Spock trying to be a hero but constantly being brought down by his ego, so it was a nice character moment when he finally realizes it.

Ending
    I'm just left with a bit of a sour taste that the moral of this Spider-Man story seems to be "Once you realize your pride has led you to make a tragic mistake, you should kill yourself".

Because, you know, that's not really what I expect from a Spider-Man story.

I think that was kind of the point.
    I think the whole point is that Doc Ock is not Spider-Man. This has never been a Spider-Man story. Its been a "Doctor Octopus tries to be a hero" story. And because of that, it all collapses and falls apart.

And it shows the huge difference between Peter and Otto. No matter how bad things are, no matter how terrible it gets, in the end, Peter will always get back up and continue to strive to do the right thing and save every. Otto, though? He gets knocked down, pushed around, everything he's done has been ruined and everything he cares about is in danger, he hits that lowest point, and he gives up.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Yeah, I was really hoping that the big, epic ending to the whole Superior storyline would be more than just
    Otto stroking Peter's ego. Because, really, the idea that Peter Parker, Master Of Competence, would have been able to avoid this whole secret Goblin plan from coming to fruition because he's less of a jerk than Spock doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense to me.

Except that
    A reason that things got this bad was Spock's reliance on his spiderbots monitoring the city and constantly handing off things to the cops when he didn't deem it worth his time. Things wouldn't have escalated nearly this much with Peter.

Regarding the ending:
    I liked it. The whole run has been Spock trying to be a hero but constantly being brought down by his ego, so it was a nice character moment when he finally realizes it.

Ending
    I'm just left with a bit of a sour taste that the moral of this Spider-Man story seems to be "Once you realize your pride has led you to make a tragic mistake, you should kill yourself".

I think the whole point is that Doc Ock is not Spider-Man. This has never been a Spider-Man story. Its been a "Doctor Octopus tries to be a hero" story. And because of that, it all collapses and falls apart.

And it shows the huge difference between Peter and Otto. No matter how bad things are, no matter how terrible it gets, in the end, Peter will always get back up and continue to strive to do the right thing and save every. Otto, though? He gets knocked down, pushed around, everything he's done has been ruined and everything he cares about is in danger, he hits that lowest point, and he gives up.

Fair enough, but
    That's still an incredibly depressing moral for a superhero story to have. "Hey, you tried to be a hero, but you're just not good enough, so even though you realize the error of your ways, you suck, kill yourself and let the real hero do his thing" just leaves me cold, and negates all of Otto's character development. Especially the very obviously drawn parallels between how similar Otto and Peter were growing up, only Otto didn't have the advantage of loving parental figures.

I was just hoping that the "Doctor Octopus tries to be a hero" story wouldn't end with "Nope, can't redeem Otto, he's just a loser, let's kill him off so Peter can come back", but I guess that's how it ended anyway.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

Except that

Regarding the ending:

Ending

Fair enough, but
    That's still an incredibly depressing moral for a superhero story to have. "Hey, you tried to be a hero, but you're just not good enough, so even though you realize the error of your ways, you suck, kill yourself and let the real hero do his thing" just leaves me cold, and negates all of Otto's character development. Especially the very obviously drawn parallels between how similar Otto and Peter were growing up, only Otto didn't have the advantage of loving parental figures.

I was just hoping that the "Doctor Octopus tries to be a hero" story wouldn't end with "Nope, can't redeem Otto, he's just a loser, let's kill him off so Peter can come back", but I guess that's how it ended anyway.

My only minor argument is that...
    I think it was less a "You tried to be a hero and you suck" and more a "You're self destructive no matter what you try on your own so you suck" idea. Still pretty depressing, I'll agree, but I also think Otto sabotaged himself.

We all need help and guidance in our lives to be the best we can be. Otto never had that until he took over Peter's body and had Peter's memories giving it to him. When he found the memories trying to break free and destroyed them, he lost that guidance and support. And that's when he really started to spiral out of control and once more became self destructive.

Given enough time, Anne Marie and Parker Industries may have been able to pull Otto back, but the Goblins didn't give him that chance.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    People seem to be forgetting that we know in the ASM relaunch
    Ock is still around Peter's head to some degree.

CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Wait, what? This is the first I heard of that.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    The issue was really good

I just wish Camuncoli hadn't been drawing it

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm just kinda miffed that...
    so much for "only a few memories left". I guess if it was a MAGIC mindwipe, that would've been a bit more permanent.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Cade on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    What was the 2099 apeal? as a youth i remember having a few of them.... Foil covers maybe?

barely remember what it was about.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The toes are really weirding me out.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    What was the 2099 apeal? as a youth i remember having a few of them.... Foil covers maybe?

It's a decent Peter David run that had a strong start then meandered around for awhile before being cancelled. Definitely the high point of the 2099 titles. The books don't really hold up today, but I can see why they had their fans at a time.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

It was spoiled when Spidey's Original Sin teaser was released

CYpGAPn.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

It's a decent Peter David run that had a strong start then meandered around for awhile before being cancelled. Definitely the high point of the 2099 titles. The books don't really hold up today, but I can see why they had their fans at a time.

I think Doom 2099 and Spider-Man 2099 were quite good. The others...not so much.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

It was spoiled when Spidey's Original Sin teaser was released

I hope before the end of the arc
    That Peter has to call on Ock for something ( maybe some last minute trick with a Spiderbot). And it ends up getting them both stuck in his head, and they are forced into a Sitcom Situation where each of them only gets control for half the day. Spider Odd Couple

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »

I think Doom 2099 and Spider-Man 2099 were quite good. The others...not so much.

Doom was the best of the bunch by far. Spider-Man was good. Of the rest, X-Men had some interesting things (J.F. Moore just went out of his way to avoid any form of status quo on that title.), Ghost Rider had great art (Bachalo/Buckingham) and Warren Ellis did some Engineer prototype in one of the anthology titles.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    What, no mention of Punisher 2099?

pun01.jpg

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    You post something from Punisher 2099 and don't use this?
    pun2099_zpsf01524f3.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
  • SinogueSinogue Registered User regular
    I feel like that scan is meta commentary about comic books in the '90s as a whole. I love it.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Except that

Regarding the ending:

Ending

A tragic mistake, yeah, but he also took over a dude's whole body for an extended length of time and should probably atone for that. It's not just "oh he gave up!" it's "oh he decided that maybe hijacking this dude's body is ultimately maybe not the right call"

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Except that

Regarding the ending:

Ending

A tragic mistake, yeah, but he also took over a dude's whole body for an extended length of time and should probably atone for that. It's not just "oh he gave up!" it's "oh he decided that maybe hijacking this dude's body is ultimately maybe not the right call"
    Kinda taints the whole endeavor.

Quire.jpg
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I feel that it was too easy a reset but I didn't expect a much more drawn out conclusion to Ock. We saw his character make some pretty good strides and ultimately, so long as no one hamfists whatever iteration of Ock we see next back to the same villain I'll be pretty happy. Considering the run lasted over a year and did take the character further than most imagined I think people are upset because they wanted to see something more epic. Goblin nation story isn't over and we know we haven't seen the very last of Ock so it's probably best to wait til the story concludes to see where all the chips fall.

I feel that it was too easy a reset but I didn't expect a much more drawn out conclusion to Ock. We saw his character make some pretty good strides and ultimately, so long as no one hamfists whatever iteration of Ock we see next back to the same villain I'll be pretty happy. Considering the run lasted over a year and did take the character further than most imagined I think people are upset because they wanted to see something more epic. Goblin nation story isn't over and we know we haven't seen the very last of Ock so it's probably best to wait til the story concludes to see where all the chips fall.
    Depending on which way the story goes, Ock giving up control of Peter's body may be the ultimate redemptive step for the character. That was always going to be the hurdle between him really becoming a hero, so this could clear the slate to finding a way of making him a genuinely reformed supervillain.

Or they could just be doing a big reset.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    "Doing Good" and "Being a Hero" often requires self-less acts of sacrifice. Everything Spock's done up to this point has been tainted by some kind of self promotion or advancement. Giving up everything so Peter can stop the goblins is meant to be the first purely heroic thing Octavius has done. The tragic irony, of course, is that it's (apparently) the last thing.

YMMV as to whether the message comes across.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Well he flipped over a car with those bullies in it who were poking fun at Anna Maria, that was pretty heroic. And he saved that little kids life even with Peter being a jerk and trying to make his hands shake to screw up the operation.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Well he flipped over a car with those bullies in it who were poking fun at Anna Maria, that was pretty heroic. And he saved that little kids life even with Peter being a jerk and trying to make his hands shake to screw up the operation.

Er

Quire.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    A measured and responsible use of power is the hallmark of any hero.

H9f4bVe.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    hey man bullying is a shitty thing to do

Otto is like Lindsey in Mean Girls, cleaning up the town jerks

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I actually liked this last issue. I think I'm onboard at least for Amazing 1 in two weeks.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    That was a really good last issue

• Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    So I'm a little confused..
    So Pete tells Carly that him and Doc Ock switched minds and all is well again. He proves it to her by telling her his contact with her while he was in Ock's body, that died. How did his dormant soul or memory or whatever that was still alive in his body remember something his swapped mind happened in Ock's body? And why can he remember somethings about what happened while Ock was running around being Ock but not others?

I guess I can just accept it as comics logic, it just felt off. Good to see Peter back though

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2014
    So Pete tells Carly that him and Doc Ock switched minds and all is well again. He proves it to her by telling her his contact with her while he was in Ock's body, that died. How did his dormant soul or memory or whatever that was still alive in his body remember something his swapped mind happened in Ock's body? And why can he remember somethings about what happened while Ock was running around being Ock but not others?

I guess I can just accept it as comics logic, it just felt off. Good to see Peter back though
    Souls exist in the Marvel universe, so they're probably playing off the idea that the "real" Peter experienced everything we saw. That avoids the "clone" problem - i.e. that Peter still died and this is just a backup copy of his memories off some computer.

And I'd bet money that the last pages are setting up motivation for Peter to bring Octavius back to life.

Phillishere on
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular

Peter's memories of the time in Ocks Body were transferred when he made Ock feel all his memories before Superior started

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular

I was confused by that as well so it's not just you.

I get the subsequent explanations above, but that panel took me out of the moment for sure.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Yay, Peter Parker is back. Boo, they continue to screw with his love life unnecessarily. Also boo, Green Goblin continues to exist. One step forward, two steps back.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Yay, he's not completely on the outs with the Avengers! Yay, he still has his company!

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Boo, they continue to screw with his love life unnecessarily.

Consider what comic book you're reading

• Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    I know, I know. But I would like to think, this being several years and writers later, that the bulk of humanity that is aware of Spider-Man and One More Day would recognize it for the cosmic error that it is and if not retcon it so it never happened (because, y'know, editors) they could mitigate the damage by undoing the worst of the stupidity.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    One thing I liked about MJ in this comic

Pete: It wasn't me MJ! It was Doc Ock. We switched minds and now I'm back!
    MJ: Ok, whatever, seems plausible

With all of the crazy shit that happens, this guy could tell her an evil hamster cloned by Doctor Doom took over his body and made him commit these atrocities and she would likely accept it

steam_sig.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    One thing I liked about MJ in this comic

Pete: It wasn't me MJ! It was Doc Ock. We switched minds and now I'm back!
    MJ: Ok, whatever, seems plausible

With all of the crazy shit that happens, this guy could tell her an evil hamster cloned by Doctor Doom took over his body and made him commit these atrocities and she would likely accept it

When you out it this way, it's a wonder he has relationship problems at all!
    I'm joking