As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    As someone who has played pretty much every civ game, but never at too high of a level, I prefer 1UPT.

I also really liked civ rev, so... yeah.

I've also played most of the civs and also not at the highest levels (and also enjoyed civ rev) but think they overreacted against doomstacks when deciding on 1 UPT. I would LOVE a system where you build an ARMY then load it with units, the number of units in each army limited by tech (and social policies/ideologies/etc) but it would be difficult to design a system that was both clear and encouraged combined arms. One of the big issues I have with 1 UPT is how busy the map can get as the game goes on. It's just ugly when a modern army physically occupies half of a continent even though there are only a few strategically important areas.

You make a good point. It gets closer to something like Total War, or even a Paradox sort of game.

Civ has a very pleasant economic system that's all about founding, expanding and developing cities. Its battle system is kinda secondary and often doesn't quite fit. The real-time tactics of Total War are really cool, though not appropriate for Civ I think. But I'd be all for a game where you can build like civ but organize armies that fit the scale of the world a bit better.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart always struck me as the sort of guy to do some silly shit if it struck his fancy. So I'd imagine it would be less important to offer a lot of money, and more important to offer something quirky.
    They've gotten him to do some pretty weird shit on American Dad so I imagine he's up for just about everything.

If you've seen stoned out of his gourd Patrick Stewart demonstrating the quadruple take... he's up for pretty much whatever.

First, video, NAO.

Second, another thing I love about Sir Patrick Steward compared to other celebrity VAs is that unlike many them, it's obvious that he takes the work seriously, even if it is voice work for "just" a video game that he probably have gotten away with just phoning it in.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Only problem there is things like Oblivion. Where, even if he knocked it out of the park he's still only in it for five minutes and that was probably a not-insignificant portion of their VA budget. (I also don't think he knocked it out of the park with his Oblivion VA)

Something like narrating the encyclopedia is a bit different. He'd be great in that.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    First, Master of Magic is fantastic, if horrifically breakable (hint: flying warships) in a billion different ways.

Second, the quadruple take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFMrBldVk0s

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    As someone who has played pretty much every civ game, but never at too high of a level, I prefer 1UPT.

I've also played most of the civs and also not at the highest levels (and also enjoyed civ rev) but think they overreacted against doomstacks when deciding on 1 UPT. I would LOVE a system where you build an ARMY then load it with units, the number of units in each army limited by tech (and social policies/ideologies/etc) but it would be difficult to design a system that was both clear and encouraged combined arms. One of the big issues I have with 1 UPT is how busy the map can get as the game goes on. It's just ugly when a modern army physically occupies half of a continent even though there are only a few strategically important areas.

You make a good point. It gets closer to something like Total War, or even a Paradox sort of game.

Civ has a very pleasant economic system that's all about founding, expanding and developing cities. Its battle system is kinda secondary and often doesn't quite fit. The real-time tactics of Total War are really cool, though not appropriate for Civ I think. But I'd be all for a game where you can build like civ but organize armies that fit the scale of the world a bit better.

Honestly it would be interesting to see where a civ-style game could go if it totally got rid of the whole "armies as physical entities" thing and handled military might abstractly like culture or gold. And then instead of controlling units you would just spend your military points on missions like scouting, raiding, defending, and capturing enemy cities. Obviously no mainline civ game would attempt it but I would like to see how that sort of thing panned out.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Honestly it would be interesting to see where a civ-style game could go if it totally got rid of the whole "armies as physical entities" thing and handled military might abstractly like culture or gold. And then instead of controlling units you would just spend your military points on missions like scouting, raiding, defending, and capturing enemy cities. Obviously no mainline civ game would attempt it but I would like to see how that sort of thing panned out.

Master of Orion 3 is how it would turn out. And that game didn't actually happen.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Master of Orion 3 had actual combat because lord knows the planetary governors wanted to make damn sure I had enough troop transports to conquer this and several other galaxies.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

King of dragon pass does something like this.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    First, Master of Magic is fantastic, if horrifically breakable (hint: flying warships) in a billion different ways.

Isn't that pretty much all 4x games though? I don't think I've played a single one that wasn't beautifully breakable in a myriad of ways.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Isn't that pretty much all 4x games though? I don't think I've played a single one that wasn't beautifully breakable in a myriad of ways.

I think MoM was just really, really special about it, though, what with flying invisible ships of doom being such a beautiful thing.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    SMAC was pretty great at it too. I remember having massive anti-grav platforms that rained antimatter death upon all foes of Spartan liberties and independence. And by that point it was sheerly for dramatic effect. I'd seriously outpaced any real threats by the time I started training Orbital Drop Marines with Nerve Gas. The military game is easily, gloriously broken in SMAC. Especially when you have the Spartan's ridiculous morale but it can be done with any faction. Easily with most. Miriam is a bit of a challenge but if you can keep her alive and get the probe teams rolling she can do it too.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I think MoM was just really, really special about it, though, what with flying invisible ships of doom being such a beautiful thing.
    I've not played MoM, but I know in MoO2 you could go into combat with invisible ships that could move twice a turn and unload the stellar converter each time, and with enough tech, you could crank one of these ships out each turn (though by that point, chances are you'd already won the game anyway).

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    So, outside of the civ series, would anyone be able to recommend some more modern sci-fi 4x games? I played alpha centauri when I was younger, but its hard to get back into. I tried gal civ 2 recently, but I had trouble getting into it.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Endless Space is the best of the recent lot, in my opinion.

Sins of a Solar Empire is a more RTS-type take.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Master of Orion 3 was an excellent simulation of what it would probably be like to actually run a galactic empire: you spend all day sitting on your ass listening to advisors and trying to decipher spreadsheets and issuing broad decrees (and hoping that your staff carry them out competently, without accidentally or deliberately misinterpreting your wishes)... while somewhere, very very very far away, starship captains and governors and other people do all the stuff that's interesting. And then you find out about it later in another report.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ... I like MoO3.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    What I'd really like to see in a new Civilization game is a focus on culture as a fundamental building block of civilizations, beyond just direct political control. Cultural influence could spread well beyond a civilization's formal borders, and could allow a civilization to persist even if completely conquered, possibly even allowing them to regain territory if their conquerors' influence over the area becomes too weak. Maintaining a large empire wouldn't just have issues with overhead, you'd also need to deal with the fact that you're territorially controlling a whole bunch of cultures that might have different values and hate you or each other. Art and media-based technologies wouldn't just provide ways to make your people happier and gain bonuses, they'd also allow you to more easily spread your culture to your neighbors, giving you influence over them and making it more difficult for them to oppose you. By the time that modern technology is reached, battles would be fought as much culturally as they would be militarily, with weaker civilizations falling under so much foreign influence that they'd barely be able to control themselves.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Sword of the Stars 1 is pretty good and combat is a lot of fun. Sword of the Stars 2 is apparently not as fun, though I haven't given it a playthough yet.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    What I'd really like to see in a new Civilization game is a focus on culture as a fundamental building block of civilizations, beyond just direct political control. Cultural influence could spread well beyond a civilization's formal borders, and could allow a civilization to persist even if completely conquered, possibly even allowing them to regain territory if their conquerors' influence over the area becomes too weak. Maintaining a large empire wouldn't just have issues with overhead, you'd also need to deal with the fact that you're territorially controlling a whole bunch of cultures that might have different values and hate you or each other. Art and media-based technologies wouldn't just provide ways to make your people happier and gain bonuses, they'd also allow you to more easily spread your culture to your neighbors, giving you influence over them and making it more difficult for them to oppose you. By the time that modern technology is reached, battles would be fought as much culturally as they would be militarily, with weaker civilizations falling under so much foreign influence that they'd barely be able to control themselves.
    Civ5 BNW kinda has that. The solution is genocide.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What I want is a shake-up of the Great People system.

Give each player a political cabinet that they can fill-up with Great People: you get to choose exactly who to appoint to the cabinet, but there are limited positions available & a limited pool of talent to draw Great People from (modified by technologies / social policies).

Great Prophets work more or less just like how they work now - I love how flesh-out that part of the game is. But Engineers, Scientists & Artists? They need the same kind of treatment. Great Scientists within your cabinet can offer one of a kind insight into technology that nobody else gets, Great Engineers can create one of a kind structures, improvements & units, Great Artists can cause sweeping unique social changes, etc.

As for Great Generals? They are how you mobilize your troops. Units are drafted and then attached to one of a Great General's hex faces - they can attack independently, but are moved with the general and add special conditions to their accompanying army. How you build army formations & army compositions with your generals becomes essential to warfare, and micromanaging troop movement is simplified / less tedious since you only need to move the central general.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I can't say I like that. There's no way to scout, and you're turning 1U/T into 6U doomstacks.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Just gotta remember to disable the pirates in Endless Space. They're thoroughly, completely and utterly broken.

It is not altogether uncommon to see pirate fleets (note: several fleets) which number more ships than the all the other factions put together. Several times over.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Just gotta remember to disable the pirates in Endless Space. They're thoroughly, completely and utterly broken.

It is not altogether uncommon to see pirate fleets (note: several fleets) which number more ships than the all the other factions put together. Several times over.

There will be no survivors.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    If you've got like 120 bucks to drop on a video game, Distant Worlds is a decent sci-fi 4x game.

Just, you know, a pile of 40 dollar expansions that never goes on sale.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Distant Worlds always seemed interesting to me. Too bad it has the same retarded approach to pricing that Dominions 3 used to have.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Eh, they usually aren't as bad as they look; Defense beats offence when it comes to ship battles in ES, and their completely lack of any defenses means even megafleets of pirates will crumble to a surprisingly small number of ships with even merely decent deflectors (or whatever counter you need for the weapons the pirate ships are using) absorb the damage you'd normally take.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    - You start on an alien world
    - There are three types of worlds: Lush, Airy and Fungal
    - You'll still be building cities like in CIv V but to expand to other planets you'll use outposts.
    - You can be the first to explore a new planet and you may find some neutral creatures/races on those worlds. You can either destroy them or leave them be.
    - Relics are still in.

Is there a source for some of this stuff? This is the first I've heard that there's multiple worlds or neutral creatures/races. I had heard there are single biome planets, but there only being three is new as well.

Edit: Looks like the "multiple worlds" thing has been shot down, as has non-human civs. Neutral creatures as in SMAC.

I look forward to CBEX which adds an alien race or two. :P

KiTA on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    If you've got like 120 bucks to drop on a video game, Distant Worlds is a decent sci-fi 4x game.

Just, you know, a pile of 40 dollar expansions that never goes on sale.

I read about that not terribly long ago - it's still not on steam, is it? Are any of the expansions worth getting / required?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Undead War Trolls. It was all about the Black Channels War Troll. Maybe make them on fire, too.

• Options

Undead War Trolls. It was all about the Black Channels War Troll. Maybe make them on fire, too.

I can't remember why (It's been like, 15 years since I played it last), but that makes me feel all funny inside. It's so familiar for some reason.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I can't remember why (It's been like, 15 years since I played it last), but that makes me feel all funny inside. It's so familiar for some reason.

A ten foot tall shambling corpse that regenerates from all damage done to it, stalking through halfling villages, perhaps leaving enchanted flame in its wake to burn down their thatched roof cottages?

• Options
    Ah, good times.

• Options
    Maledict66Maledict66 Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Eh, they usually aren't as bad as they look; Defense beats offence when it comes to ship battles in ES, and their completely lack of any defenses means even megafleets of pirates will crumble to a surprisingly small number of ships with even merely decent deflectors (or whatever counter you need for the weapons the pirate ships are using) absorb the damage you'd normally take.

No, you really do need to disable them. There isn't a timer on when pirate events can occur - you can literally have them spawn before you've even started building warships with shields, and at that point you've wasted 30 minutes on an un winnable game. One game I abandoned three pirate fleets spawned and each fleet had an attack rating higher than the rest of the galaxy *combined*. They just camped my home world and the one system I had manage to settle by that point,

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    I admit that while I'm excited at the prospect of an Orbital layer, I'm hesitant about it as well. Not sure how they're going to make combat compelling in that layer when they've already said that anything you launch into orbit will decay after a certain number of terms. The typical civ player does not like spending tons of production on units that don't last.

I mean, I get that in real life satellites don't last forever, but in real life, warriors don't live 3000 years to be upgraded into swordsmen or thrown as cannon fodder against Napoleon's musketeers.

• Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    I am really hoping the orbital layer is more then just a series of menus, hoping for something with some interactivity on the main map.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I just found out about this game yesterday.

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Options
    Nevermind! :D

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I would enjoy the orbital layer being a limited playfield of tiles, similar to Risk 2042. Except you'd need special bits to travel there and could only travel with special kits.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Hopefully we can use orbital lasers to bring down the thunder on space cows just minding their own business.

Thats the sort of thing I want to do with my defense budget.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile