As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[World of Darkness] Paradox buys White Wolf - Maybe not dead

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    This is a game I started to lose interest in as they started to talk more and more about the game mechanics. There was way more emphasis on fighting than politics, with the prince supposedly having to battle to the top, which just laughs in the face of the Camarilla. I didn't hear much, but if the game wasn't set up to be 75% social and 25% combat then they were doing it wrong, at least on the Camarilla side.

Add to that the quotes that they were taking inspiration from Rust and DayZ... yeah, personally I think they basically shit on the concept and people called them out on it, so they stopped trying. If making a WoD MMO was easy, it would've already been done. Doing it right would've involved some rather revolutionary ideas in MMOs where social combat would rule 95% of the time, but CCP clearly wasn't on board for that with the information leaked out.

If it came out, it would've been like FASA Studio's Shadowrun game: something that completely misses the concept and loses every audience it could've latched onto.

An MMO will never be able to match the social aspect of a PnP game. It just isn't going to happen. Go to any RP server in any MMO about 6 months in and tell me just how many people are still in character.

Unless they charge $25+ for a subscription and hire a bunch of GMs to seed the social aspect, but how many people would actually pay a premium for such a service?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    So CCP buys white wolf to make a WOD mmo and an EVE table top rpg. They manage to cancel both and now another company licences WOD and makes the table top rpg. This was not a great series of decisions.

Worse, they've been throwing WW properties into the pyre left and right to keep the train churning, and now... it's all for naught.

All their properties are still being worked on pretty much. They licence it out to Onyx path now, who are a bunch of former WW people. They just made a new edition of both old and new vampire and are working on new editions for werewolf and mage as well as exalted. They bought scion and trinity too and are working on a new system for those.
    The sad thing is with this every single WW person is gone from CCP now.

Neaden on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I do hope some of the things they showed off with the clothing graphics do make their way to games
    because that was really impressive

Well as much as I still find it rather odd I still think Fasa did the right thing when they closed down and bailed

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Like a lot of people when I read this; sad but not surprised. Still love the IP

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    This sits... oddly with some of the things they told us in January but v0v

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So CCP buys white wolf to make a WOD mmo and an EVE table top rpg. They manage to cancel both and now another company licences WOD and makes the table top rpg. This was not a great series of decisions.

Worse, they've been throwing WW properties into the pyre left and right to keep the train churning, and now... it's all for naught.

All their properties are still being worked on pretty much. They licence it out to Onyx path now, who are a bunch of former WW people. They just made a new edition of both old and new vampire and are working on new editions for werewolf and mage as well as exalted. They bought scion and trinity too and are working on a new system for those.

Yeah, but the days of seeing new WW books on shelves are dead. It's all on demand now.

And my favorite NWoD game is the least popular(Mage), so yeah, stick a fork in the Pentacle.

Also, salt in the wound, but...

DI4FN6d.jpg

UtvTcIW.jpg

pUFMWLr.png

R8jMKVH.png

I have no idea where those came from. Someone elsewhere posted them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    My potential hermit status cementing game! Noooo! And those images look great (not a fan of the power icons though).

I guess I have to stay healthy and continue forcing myself to keep a thready pulse in my so called social life. Shit.

(Should we start rumors re: competent company buying the rights to the WOD licence? ;)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am probably the minority in that I liked Requiem more than VTM
    I liked how it cleaned up a lot of the mess and tidyed up
    But then requiem did get a little overboard with vampire clans

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Those screenshots, just... man. the VTM influence is obvious, and heartbreaking. What could have been.

Why, CCP? Just... why? :(

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

Yeah, but the days of seeing new WW books on shelves are dead. It's all on demand now.

And my favorite NWoD game is the least popular(Mage), so yeah, stick a fork in the Pentacle.

They're still putting out MtAw books, and the Fallen World Chronicle (the revised Awakening core rulebook/chronicle book) is due out in November, so I'm not sure where you're getting this whole "nWoD and Awakening are dead" thing from. I mean, two-thirds of the books on their schedule right now are nWoD books, and the only reason there are more books scheduled for MtAs right now than MtAw is because they're in the process of publishing Mage 20th Annniversary, and most of those "release date TBA" M20 books only exist because they were stretch goals from the Kickstarter campaign.

And the reason WoD books are PDF/PoD-only now is that it simply wasn't profitable any more for them to go through traditional distribution channels. The choice wasn't between sticking with the status quo or going PoD, it was between ceasing to publish entirely or going PDF/PoD-only. Steve Jackson Games had to go the same route with GURPS: even though they had the Munchkin cash cow giving them a solid inroad into gaming shops, they still weren't making enough money on print RPGs for them to be cost-effective.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I think the announcement that WoD was cancelled probably surprised absolutely no one, but it's still sad to hear.

On the other hand, now that CCP has finally admitted they aren't going to make a WoD game, perhaps they could offer the license to some other company who would make something out of it... hopefully not an MMO.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well, CCP isn't going to GIVE the license to anyone, so someone would have to buy it.

And I'm not sure there's a ton of interest in such an old property right now.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Is it really so niche that no other company has tried to make their own world around modern horrors? Especially with the lack of any current competition on the shelves? Man ... I just feel old and I'm only 31. I used to buy all my gaming books in a store and still think that's the way it's done T_T

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Those screenshots, just... man. the VTM influence is obvious, and heartbreaking. What could have been.

because they're bad at managing money

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »

They're still putting out MtAw books, and the Fallen World Chronicle (the revised Awakening core rulebook/chronicle book) is due out in November, so I'm not sure where you're getting this whole "nWoD and Awakening are dead" thing from. I mean, two-thirds of the books on their schedule right now are nWoD books, and the only reason there are more books scheduled for MtAs right now than MtAw is because they're in the process of publishing Mage 20th Annniversary, and most of those "release date TBA" M20 books only exist because they were stretch goals from the Kickstarter campaign.

And the reason WoD books are PDF/PoD-only now is that it simply wasn't profitable any more for them to go through traditional distribution channels. The choice wasn't between sticking with the status quo or going PoD, it was between ceasing to publish entirely or going PDF/PoD-only. Steve Jackson Games had to go the same route with GURPS: even though they had the Munchkin cash cow giving them a solid inroad into gaming shops, they still weren't making enough money on print RPGs for them to be cost-effective.

Admittedly it's hard for me to keep up without seeing new stuff o shelves at the local TT shop. Good to know.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular

That's less CCP and more "deadtree publishing is dying," really.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    that ui there was pretty sexy, i think

especially the action bar and character portrait/resource data down at the bottom

nice, elegant, and smooth... like a milk-white pair of bubble-shaped malkavian buttocks

on second thought maybe it's best that i never played this

i did things in the sims online that no amount of divine fire will ever be able to scour from my soul

• Options
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Those screens look goooooood. I wonder if they'll release source code. Doubt it, but it would seem like a waste to just trash everything so deep into the development cycle.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Depends on if someone wants to buy it.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For some reason, "Press E to seduce" highlights everything I thought might be terrible about this game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

because they're bad at managing money

They are an Icelandic company. What did you expect?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Well, we'd better embrace The Secret World, because that's about as close as we'll get.

Maybe they'll do a vampire expansion out of pity. As it is, it makes me think of Mage.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well, we'd better embrace The Secret World, because that's about as close as we'll get.

The Secret World has such good fluff.

• Options
    Sources report that, over the nine-year period, the game effectively reached alpha – the stage at which all the major features have been implemented - three times, only for each version to be scrapped.

The Guardian ran a postmortem on the WoD MMO, and it's not pretty

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    haha holy balls no wonder...

• Options
    That was beyond depressing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Nine years and never out of alpha....

That...is something.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Sources report that, over the nine-year period, the game effectively reached alpha – the stage at which all the major features have been implemented - three times, only for each version to be scrapped.

The Guardian ran a postmortem on the WoD MMO, and it's not pretty

One of my friends is a pretty bitter ex-employee, and it's impressive to see that article painting an even darker picture than what he described.

More than anything else, I worry about what this means for the IP overall, and for their licensing deal with Onyx Path Publishing. If CCP's absurd mismanagement of their White Wolf properties somehow threatens the development of Exalted 3rd Edition, I will go all kinds of Internet Crazy. Very rude messages on their official facebook page, poor Yelp reviews of their in-office cafeteria, you name it! My wrath will be boundless!

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Man... that sounds like DNF levels of frustration.

"Ok, we have everything in, and it's playable. Let's start testing."

"Let's add in [this idea]."

"But to do that we'd have to rewrite the entire engine."

"That wasn't a request."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I was already a bit sad when WoD was officially cancelled, even if I had seen it coming.

That article though... that is depressing as hell.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    holy shit that was a depressing article

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    This totally reinforces my belief that CCP have no idea what they're doing. I really think that EVE ended up being successful not because of the CCP, but in spite of them. If you look at EVE mechanically and substantitively it's not really a good game. It's the community that grew up around that game that made it work. If they couldn't even make a competent shooter (Dust) how were they ever planning on putting together a good MMO.

I do not have high hopes for valkyrie either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    like seriously, reading about the manager who was like "It needs to be more... pssssssssshhhhhhhhhh...." while just hissing through his fingers, when criticizing the fucking UI

oh my god if i was a developer there i'd burn the whole fucking place to the ground, Office Space style

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    "Excuse me...that's my stapler..."

And yeah, definitely sounds like success for these guys was more accidental than intentional. I'm finding more and more that a lot of the movies and games I like seem to be accidents that the creators couldn't repeat if they tried. And boy do they try.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    This totally reinforces my belief that CCP have no idea what they're doing. I really think that EVE ended up being successful not because of the CCP, but in spite of them. If you look at EVE mechanically and substantitively it's not really a good game. It's the community that grew up around that game that made it work. If they couldn't even make a competent shooter (Dust) how were they ever planning on putting together a good MMO.

I've said this for years. About the only appeal I have ever seen to EVE was the metagame, and that of course has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game itself. That is something which is almost entirely community driven. And even the metagame was something that was far more interesting to read about than to actually participate in.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    Nine years and never out of alpha....

That...is something.

Duke Nukem Forever comes to mind.

488W936.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Yoshua wrote: »
    Lowlander wrote: »

I've said this for years. About the only appeal I have ever seen to EVE was the metagame, and that of course has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game itself. That is something which is almost entirely community driven. And even the metagame was something that was far more interesting to read about than to actually participate in.

The meta is almost impossible to penetrate now. So EVE is really really fun for only a small percentage of its subscribers.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Uh...Well hey. A full year later and someone is finally doing right by World of Darkness.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/paradox-white-wolf/

Paradox, known for crusade kings and partnering with obsidian for Pillars of Eternity, has officially bought White Wolf and plans for multiple digital releases. Their acquisition includes all unreleased assets and rights to games in the works by CCP.

There may still be life in a WoD MMO.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

wVEsyIc.png