As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Thurmatage also, not as blown up as I made him out to be, sorry about that. Dude looked crazy, I mean... He's great, but he's not broken.

I think he's gonna be able to do some nuts things in larger formats.

Profane Command certainly becomes profane

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    For Profane Command to be 'crazy' its going to need five or more creatures already on the board

it's gonna do cute things in standard and almost nothing anywhere else, I think

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Been a lot of people talking about how Pharika didn't work with the current Dredge deck. I give you Conley Wood's, the creator of the deck, opinion on her.
    Regarding this diminishing your synergies, that is generally not going to be the case. You cannot just go activating Pharika super early as you will be prioritizing casting additional spells from your hand to turn Pharika into a creature. In the mid-game, if you are activating Pharika, it is because you are picking off a big attacker or something certainly worth the -1/-1 to your Nighthowler. And then, in the late game, where this ability is best, your Nighthowlers going from 12/12s down to 9/9s is hardly going to matter. What does matter is that instant speed creature you plopped out on your opponent's endstep to follow up Supreme Verdict. Because that token is about to pick up a Nighthowler and go to town. Too bad the Nighthowler is slightly smaller though...

This is how I've been feeling about the argument so I'm glad to see Woods agrees.

yeah, after mulling it over the last few days, I was coming around to this line of thinking myself

I'm interested to see how useful she ends up

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Constellation alone makes Pharika something to consider.

She was never bad, just misunderstood.

But, that's most enabler style cards.

Anon the Felon on
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

It's def something to consider, but part of what was hanging me up was trying to think of her as a constellation engine, which i feel is asking too much of her and your deck

it's nice synergy, but it's not The Reason

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I'd want to give it a try, if I pull the cards, simply because the deck would have some really beautiful art.

grimguardian.jpg

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »

I think you're probably better off dropping red, taking Eidolon of Countless Battles instead of Ghor-Clan Rampager, and dropping Madcap Skills for either Selesnya Charm or Eidolon of Blossoms.

Edit: Another option would be Alpha Authority, which allows you to protect the Eidolons late game if they fall off the base creature.

WW and GG mana costs are not going to play nice together

(Granted idk if GR RW WG play nice together either, though playing green white for a while it didn't seem to be too much a problem to have WW and GW costs going)

Eidolon of Blossoms is sweet tho, I might try to fit a few of those.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

While I understand the reasoning behind holding Constellation back for the 3rd set, I wish it had come in earlier if only because it would mean there would be more Constellation cards.

Hopefully they'll have more support for it in M15, Oath of the Ancient Wood style.

KalTorak on
    Nessian Game Warden's art is great and hilarious, especially in a set alongside all these chimeras

jdhdy6gzzzxs2_tw02.jpg

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited April 2014
    I can't decide between trying to drum up a U/R drawn/burn, Sea Monsters (whelming wave), or U/G Kruphix shenanigans.

I feel like slamming down a Master of Waves with some good devotion (Bident!), and following it up with a Lightning Volley (if you can squeeze in a Dictate of Twin Gods that'd be nice, but you're probably already winning if you can do that)... Would be pretty fun.

Anon the Felon on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    That bear is all

"...seriously guys, what the fuck"

For some reason I'm only just now discovering how hard it is to theorycraft new decks. My approach before was always to just play limited and then build up from what I collected there, usually Peasant+ caliber card quality.

KalTorak wrote: »
    That bear is all

"...seriously guys, what the fuck"

haha, and I'm only now seeing that its legs, too, are literally made up of just cascading animal legs

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    That guy looks at the Hundred-Handed One and is like "Pffft, amateur."

edited April 2014
    I wonder if there's a thing with Triton Cavalry, a low cost enchantment (with flash would be the best) with an ETB effect, Oath of the Ancient Wood, and Sage of Hours.

I realize that's a lot of cards, but if you could loop an enchantment off Cavalry, and stack counters on Sage... It'd be neat.

Edit: You could totally do it if you get Oath and Primeval Bounty out, that's two counters per enchantment... With ramp from Kruphix/Karametra's stuff, and the prophet...

Anon the Felon on
    Primeval Bounty gives 3 counters all by itself per enchantment cast

if you use Ephara's Enlightenment then it's another counter, then the heroic counter from the Sage makes 5. If there was a Constellation effect that gave you a counter then Enlightment could bounce itself, but the Cavalry works too.

speaking of blue heroic, the War-Wing Siren is going to be an absolute beast in draft

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Feral Invocation is the only enchantment in current standard with Flash. It's 2G

You'd be just fine looping something like Aqueous Form and any of the other one-drop enchantments. Once you did it once you'd be able to do it forever.

Yeah, I might give that a try. Seems like fun.

Plus it's in the colors I love.

Blue/Green is also the color of hexproof.

I think you could make this work.

If you run a hard ramp and a strong draw/filter... So you could get Primeval and Cavalry down as quickly as possible.... I'm thinking Dorks + Caryatid, so you can get a Dictate of Karametra down on turn 3 or 4, then put down your Primeval on T5, and Cavalry + Sage + Looping enchantment on T6. The worst thing I can see is if you don't ramp fast enough and can't get it all down at once, it's way too fragile and a single Dsphere on a single part would dick everything up.

Although, since you have access to the best counters and the best enchantment hate... Plus, Hexproof.

Once it takes off, you win the game though.

I'd be more inclined to go Blue/White and make gratuitous use of Sunbond, but that's me.

edited April 2014
    I love me some green.

Plus, you could get really silly and put a Kiora in there, then when you get your infinite turns, you emblem and win with infinite Kraken's, since you do need something to actually win with.

Anon the Felon on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Uhm, what about Oracle of Bones with Strive? Unlike overload and kicker, Strive is "more to cast" not "pay an additional" or "may" for overload. Feels like Oracle of Bones should be able to Strive all targets for free. I'm probably wrong.

jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2014
    According to the parts of the Limited Resources rules podcast that I've listened to, the casting cost of Strive spells is always the printed one even if you pay for Strive. Oracle of Bones lets you cast it for free for the first target, and gives you the option of paying for more targets as normal.

I'm more interested in the possibility of Oracle of Boning someone into Worst Fears.

KalTorak on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Worst fears was the original plan, but then I thought about strive. welp. back to worst fears! Maybe revel of the fallen god?

jCyyTSo.png
    curious if G/B could make any use of swarmborn giant

IcGpfc4HNy_EN.jpg

2 green mana symbols for pharika and right after her on curve, decent jarad ammo, mitigated downside

though i guess it is in the same slot as bestowed howler and jarad

i might just have a weird attachment to cheaper green fatties with downside, though

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Worst fears was the original plan, but then I thought about strive. welp. back to worst fears! Maybe revel of the fallen god?

Man, even for free I don't know if Revel of the Fallen God would be worth it. 4 2/2 guys with haste is just not very exciting, particularly with Bile Blight and Detention Sphere running around.

Maybe if you had Purphoros already in play; potentially 16 damage to the face is tough to ignore.

i might just have a weird attachment to cheaper green fatties with downside, though

same - I spent a long time trying to make Hunted Wumpus good.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    revel of the fallen god is pretty bad

but it has cool flavor text I guess?

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Triton Shorestalker's art is really fantastic.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    after a first glance I don't think journey has really changed any of my deck ideas at all

except maybe wanting to try worst fears in dumb idea deck but that doesn't count

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

same - I spent a long time trying to make Hunted Wumpus good.

me too! I loved the wump

had a crappy g/u deck back in the day with boomerangs, Barrin, waterfront bouncers and such to deal with their free wump-hunter

f2ojmwh3geue.png

i found it kind of funny that essentially all satyrs die to rollick of abandon

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I wonder if a UR aggro/Heroic deck might be viable, perhaps with a W splash. Young Pyromancer and Akroan Crusader make creature tokens, which seems pretty useful, and you'd get 2 from a single Coordinated Assault. End the game with a Dynacharge, hopefully before Control wipes your board.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I wonder if a UR aggro/Heroic deck might be viable, perhaps with a W splash. Young Pyromancer and Akroan Crusader make creature tokens, which seems pretty useful, and you'd get 2 from a single Coordinated Assault. End the game with a Dynacharge, hopefully before Control wipes your board.

Already a fringe deck actually.

http://manadeprived.com/crouching-magus-hidden-strings/

Quire.jpg
    Triton Shorestalker's art is really fantastic.

it reminded me of
    40.jpg

also the flavor text on the Shorestalker is just top notch

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    wow, Reprisal takes me back to the old middle-school playing days

144.jpg

...back when dragons looked a lot like dogs, apparently

Awwww they're brushing its teeth!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

it is a massive limited bomb

I guess if you're really committed to red/green. I imagine you'll see it wheel quite a bit.

oh wow, I had no idea that worst fears means, in addition to all the obvious stuff, you get to look at your opponent's sideboard

that's cool

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.