As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] - The thrilling F2P adventures of Henroid, Bounty Hunter and snappy dresser.

19495969798100»

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Henroid wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean the Cartel Market. And any money you pull from escrow stays there despite the F2P/Preferred limit until you spend it. Any money you make while you're over limit goes into the escrow account.

I think what he meant was, if you're not at 250k/350k and you use one of the cartel market items to access your escrow, will it let you go over 250k/350k.

If he didn't, sorry for misinterpreting. If he did: yes, if you use cartel coins to get your escrow, those will allow you to go over the limit. If you were to then turn in a mission, the credits you received would go straight into escrow.

Ohhhhhhhh so they did add a way for you to get more money. Okay. So here's the bigger question.

Can you use multiple Escrow slides, like pull out 5 million over several Escrows withdraws?

I haven't tried it, but from my understanding, you should be able to as it's just taking the cash from your escrow and adding it to your accessible funds.

Edit: And at that point you'd be spending so much on Cartel Coins that it's probably cheaper to buy a month.

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    People toss them on the AH all the time, though, so maybe not.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yeah I've seen those escrow things on the AH and I was like "Why would I spend most of my money to not be able to use any?" That was before understanding how it all worked.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    ...dang, I'd forgotten they are cartel market items.

Welp, time to start building up my escrow again, then buy a few escrow unlocks off the market. Then maybe Treek, then Section X, then...

Shadowen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So my Smuggler is currently wearing a full set (well, minus the helmet) of an armor type called "Laminoid." It's just greens with a common name. But I love how it looks. I just wish the screenshots were better.

smug1_zps738ebdb8.jpgsmug2_zpse114d3ea.jpg

smug4_zps26a17c22.jpg

smug3_zps48d48365.jpg

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    You can find a modable chest piece that looks similar, I'm pretty sure its a reward for a Coruscant quest (99% sure its from a repeatable hard mode).

EDIT: My smuggler is wearing the Deadeye's Prototype Jacket.

emp123 on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah there's an modable set that looks like that. A set that's literally impossible for non-subscribers to get. :(

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Yeah there's an modable set that looks like that. A set that's literally impossible for non-subscribers to get. :(

Why are you breaking my heart Camb?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Why are you breaking my heart Camb?

If you cant get the Deadeye one Im pretty sure you can get one that looks similar on like Belsavis or something.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sorry. :(

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    You can find a modable chest piece that looks similar, I'm pretty sure its a reward for a Coruscant quest (99% sure its from a repeatable hard mode).

EDIT: My smuggler is wearing the Deadeye's Prototype Jacket.

There is this one available to everyone ^

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I just realized, playing through Makeb on my Powertech, that "shitlord" (something I wish my character could call a certain character in the Makeb storyline) isn't just an insult but a pun in this universe.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Hey, whoever makes the next thread iteration, I'm gonna write up a section for ya regarding playing this game without spending any dollars since I've been managing. There's a lot of things to know and context to lay out for a lot of it. I know there's the "$5 is easiest" route and it still provides benefits you can't get from remaining 100% free to play, but still this stuff can supplement that.

• Options
    Hey, whoever makes the next thread iteration, I'm gonna write up a section for ya regarding playing this game without spending any dollars since I've been managing. There's a lot of things to know and context to lay out for a lot of it. I know there's the "$5 is easiest" route and it still provides benefits you can't get from remaining 100% free to play, but still this stuff can supplement that.

I was planning to make the next OP, anything you want to give me for that op would be much appreciated.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Okay, here's what I've got.
    Henroid's Free-to-Play Tips. Or Rules.

Rule number one: If you have $5 to drop on Cartel Coins, go for it. You unlock a couple of character slots, have a larger cap on credits, can send mail, have an extra skill bar, have bank access, and aren't limited to one post per minute in the game channels. There's some other benefits too, but those kinda stand out the most.

Rule number two: The auction house (Galactic Market) has things available that you would normally have to purchase with real-world dollars, including most of the stuff mentioned in rule number one. Use these to your advantage. I'd recommend unlocking 10 inventory slots as your first purchase, which will give you enough breathing room to play the game without being constrained on space. Just remember there's two types of unlocks - individual character an account-wide. It's often better to get the latter, as it tends to cost no more than double the price for individual unlocks. You can also get some "Legacy" unlocks for cheap here (example: the Legacy menu has race unlocks at 1.5 million credits; you can sometimes find these on the AH for cheaper). Whether you're absolutely F2P or Preferred Status, you will be relying on this.

Rule number three: Currency flows in a particular way, and it's important to understand how it tends to flow.
    - Levels 1 - 10: The first system you won't see much currency at all, like a couple thousand. Try not to spend it, except on skills. This is a couple hours of gameplay.
    - Levels 11 - 17: The second system (the capital of your faction) should send you off with 20k to 30k. This is a few hours of gameplay.
    - Levels 18 to 24: The first couple systems beyond the prologue for any class will start rewarding you with money that you can spend on unlocks from the auction house. Though, it isn't a huge comfortable amount. Again, a few hours of gameplay here.
    - Levels 30 to 40: Yeah I put in a gap, but I wanted to note that in this range you're easily getting 100k for a small amount of game time invested (like 2 to 3 hours of questing). At this point in the game unlocks from the auction house should be no problem (depending on your server's economy or just the latest trends), and later on you should be able to start funding your escrow account. See below.

I'll also note that auction house micro-management for income doesn't work out so well in this game. I'm sure this can be chalked up to anecdotal, but really the fastest means of making money is to just do missions.

Rule number four: This is the most important thing for F2P users, and neither the game nor the website make much of an effort to explain it to you (presumably because they want your dollars). The game only allows F2P users 200,000 credits max - 350,000 if you're a 'preferred' user (have spent real world dollars at least once). There's a LOT of stuff that costs more than that amount in the game, whether it be on the auction house or vendors, which can be extremely discouraging to see.

But there's a way around it. When you go over your credit cap, money you make starts to slide into 'escrow.' You can't use that money unless you get a pass to withdraw an amount. This is normally an item you have to buy with real-world dollars, but it turns out people put these on the auction house. You can work up 5,000,000 into your escrow account and then buy a pass (or well, a few passes) to withdraw the full amount. It'll sit on your character, surpassing the cap, and allowing you to purchase in-game stuffs (or auctions). Sure, it'll set you back credits to unlock a ton of credits, but late enough in the game that can be negligible.

Rule number five: Passes, passes, passes. Passes exist to do things like have access to space missions for a whole week and such. If you don't feel the need to unlock anything, you can find these on the auction house too. Hey, who needs spending real world dollars for a week's worth of dungeon rewards and such?

Henroid on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    so this is just early Drommund Kaas related (e.g. lvls 15-17), I'm currently just going through the second planets with each class . Anyway
    I really want to turn in the Revanites on one of my playthroughs but can't seem to, because the Sith are just such assholes.

It's like a war between fanboys and trolls. Fanboys win.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Egos wrote: »
    so this is just early Drommund Kaas related (e.g. lvls 15-17), I'm currently just going through the second planets with each class . Anyway
    I really want to turn in the Revanites on one of my playthroughs but can't seem to, because the Sith are just such assholes.

It's like a war between fanboys and trolls. Fanboys win.

The only time I've done it in-character is as a bounty hunter.
    My Sorcerer likes their idea of the Force, so she went LS. My Operative hates the Sith, so anything that destabilizes them is A-OK; he went LS. My Juggernaut is heavily light-leaning in general; it takes a lot for him to favor a DS act--it basically has to be "LS is stupid and DS is ruthlessly practical".

IIRC, Mako actually approves of a DS act, so that was worth it just for the novelty, but my BH also doesn't fuggin' care. One group of mystics doesn't like another group of mystics, hires me to expose the leader. That's the job. She told them to go with rehabilitation or even just execute them as opposed to torture and murder, but oh well, they're Sith, can't be helped.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Can I just say how stupid the name "Revanites" is? Because it is seriously stupid.

• Options
    I edited my dumb thing a couple times. I forgot to bring up that some Legacy unlocks are on the auction house for cheaper than the in-game Legacy menu sells them to you for.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So I recently resubbed, and remembered when I stopped playing I was in the middle of getting a bunch of characters at least through chapter 2 so I would have all the stacking buffs with all characters etc. I wanna make a decent run at it the next time double xp rolls around, any suggestions on the most efficient way to go about this? Just business as usual, going through quests and all that, or grind dungeons/space missions? I guess with double xp, since I'm most worried about story progression, I can just mainly focus on the easy and class quests to provide me with enough levels to make it through.

EDIT: I've also got a ton of experience boost. Do those double as well?

Javen on
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    So I recently resubbed, and remembered when I stopped playing I was in the middle of getting a bunch of characters at least through chapter 2 so I would have all the stacking buffs with all characters etc. I wanna make a decent run at it the next time double xp rolls around, any suggestions on the most efficient way to go about this? Just business as usual, going through quests and all that, or grind dungeons/space missions? I guess with double xp, since I'm most worried about story progression, I can just mainly focus on the easy and class quests to provide me with enough levels to make it through.

EDIT: I've also got a ton of experience boost. Do those double as well?

I don't know if the experience boosts are doubled, but they so at least stack with the doubled XP.

• Options
    Okay, here's what I've got.

Thanks!

• Options
    Can someone who has the info tell me what PA guilds there are on Shadowlands? I was going to include the information in the OP if that guild is still active. Also if anyone else has suggestions for the new OP as to what would be good to include I'd appreciate input.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty sure they're dead in all but name, but <Rigorous Scholarship> for republic, <Remarkable Circumference> for imperial.

:edit: logged in to check, <Remarkable Circumference> has 12 'qualifying accounts' for its XP/reputation boost, <Rigorous Scholarship> has 11. Recent activity was what, having logged in within the last month?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they're dead in all but name, but <Rigorous Scholarship> for republic, <Remarkable Circumference> for imperial.

:edit: logged in to check, <Remarkable Circumference> has 12 'qualifying accounts' for its XP/reputation boost, <Rigorous Scholarship> has 11. Recent activity was what, having logged in within the last month?

Something like that, yeah.

• Options
    Corso's "I'm a gentleman" shtick is such baloney. He was totally checking out my smuggler's booty when she bent over for something. I wish I had a screenshot. Seriously, he leaned over in a weird way when she bent over.

• Options
    KassKass Registered User regular
    So. finished the Knight story last night (the joys of being sick and not making it to work... blarg). I have to say, I did enjoy it quite a bit (not as much as my warrior or agent, but more than I thought I would... totally went light side, white knight in most decisions... it was fun & I enjoyed it).

Adding to what some people had mentioned on the previous page, I too wish there was a way to abandon/kill companions and replace them with... something (a generic npc replacement, a droid, something) different. It's not that I want to completely get rid of all my crew, but there several companions that need to be spaced, left behind, or otherwise murderarated.
    I'm looking at you, Quinn. It's been more than a year since I finished my warrior and I still want to kill him. There's no way my DS warrior would let him off that easy.

And throw in Corso because I'm working on my mid-30's smuggler and he is more annoying than anything at this point.

• Options
    I just realized my smuggler's country-gal accent doesn't kick in unless I'm extorting people / making dark side choices. Otherwise she's a yank.

• Options
    Whoa, Corso actually snapped at the Captain about making everything about credits. I didn't think he had it in him.

• Options
    New thread is here.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, please close the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.