As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pinny arcade pin Value.

darkinferodarkinfero BOP-ITMalden, MARegistered User regular
This weekend I want to create a google doc with values of each pin. I wouldn't say a dollar amount value cause eBay can be vague.
But like we know that a east kemper 2013 is worth more then a 2014 east kemper.
On the sheet I would say we should have print runs of every pin. Like not everyone want likes the KI pins or like everyone who isn't a big fan of pinny arcade wants leeroy jenkins.
I would love everyone's input.

My Pin collection
signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013

• VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I don't think you can really pin down the specific value of certain pins in any more than an extremely generalized way.

Tier 1: DLC. Self explanatory.
    Tier 2: Pre-prime 13 core sets, with Aus a bit more valuable than East. No one knew how much they'd take off, so few were sold, compared to Prime 13 and on.
    Tier 3: Chandras, ditto above. Because they were handed out for free, they're more commonly found.
    Tier 4: "Limited edition" (Hanna has the smallest run (1000), then the Pax 10th (1200), then the 15th Anniversary (1500).)
    Tier 4: Pax exclusive, with some leeway for specific pins. I don't think there's any appreciable difference in value between the Prime 13 pins and the East 14 pins.
    Tier 5: Seasonal online. They're not limited, but eventually disappear from the store
    Tier 6: Permanent online. Anyone can buy them at any time.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I feel like the following are the largest factors in determining "Pin Value"

1. Supply(basic econ 101 stuff). Supply breaks down into

A. How many were printed, the more limited the supply available, the higher the "value"
    B. Where they were/are available. The AUS Pins have a two fold value in that, there weren't that many printed and there are likely many more North American collectors than Aus, making it harder to get their hands on it. Anything that is available from the PA Merch online store isn't going to have anywhere near the value as something sold exclusively at an event(this does not hold true for "limited edition pins, see section 1.A)
    C. Difficulty to obtain. Do I have to wait in a 2 hour line to get the pin? Do I need to find some random schmuk in a red t shirt out of 5000 random schmuks in T shirts?(No offense to the Enforcers, much love)

2. Demand, is simply a single entry with multiple facets:

A. How many people like it? Things that are references to the comic are going to be high demand cuz well, PA is awesome. Things like Blizzard pins or D&D pins are going to be in high demand because they're hugely popular in the PA community as a whole. Couple this demand with their difficulty to obtain and there you have people paying over 100$ on ebay for a pin(or like 135 from that one guys resale website). For some reason, people on the internet love the shit out of cats, so those hold demand. Demand will always be relative, but some pins will naturally have more demand than others just due to product popularity.

Supply and demand are of course intimately related. The 10th Anniversary PAX pin is to me, the prime(/nerd snort because it was sold at east, not a Prime) example of the supply v. demand mechanic. The supply is very limited due to a low print run and the fact it was only sold at East. The demand is high because it's commemorative of a huge milestone for PAX, so just about everyone who likes pins wants one. Demand is high, supply is proportionally extremely low...and because supply is low the demand increases even more! This yields douchbags buying up as many as they can just for the purpose of selling them online in whatever manner they so choose.

I could go on a huge tirade about the "market" for these pins and how the entire spirit of the collection is ruined by people doing that, but I don't think that's the purpose of the thread. Sorry...I think I made a huge mess of your thread about pin value :(

• Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Using http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pins to see the number of available will help show what Pins are more commonly traded.

I like the idea of tiers like Vaanrose came up with, but for simplicity sake I might suggest going off rarity similar to MTG (numbers below are example only):

Common (21 - 30+ available (non-Limited Edition))
    Uncommon (11-20 available)
    Rare (4-10 available)
    Mythic Rare (0-3 available)
    DLC/Limited Editions

There is a good discussion about this issue in Episode 3 of the Podcast (http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=podcast) around after the 0:50:00 minute mark.

Konig Wolf on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    For the record, every pin besides DLC was obtainable for me at East from almost anyone.

And Hanna is just as easy if not easier to get than any other pin, don't forget, no other pin has had a reprint, the value of the pin is in the community alone IMO.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Production numbers are something that we keep pushing for, because data like that is something that collectors are going to be using a lot. I have repeatedly asked through the FAQ, and spoken to @cwgabriel and @rkhoo about it, but for some reason they are reluctant to release it. I have no idea why. For example, Merch 2012 and 2013 are Retired now. Knowing how many of those were produced would be a good thing. And we are getting some production numbers from the 3rd party people, but I can't really believe those we get from booth workers or "I saw x written on a box" in the same way as I would Official Word From PA.

For the variant collectors it gets worse, since a reprint of something can happen at any time without our knowledge. There could be Core Set 2014s being done as I write this, and we have no idea.

One thing that skews availability is the godforsaken snakepit known as Australia. Their Pins are a lot more rare because of the distance, lower number of collectors on the forums, and almost certainly the percentage of Pins inadvertently devoured by alligators as they ate PAX attendees. Aus Chandra was supposedly printed at the same rate as Chandra, but is less available. That would increase rarity in the US, but decrease it in Aus.

I'm hoping that eventually the dataflow from PA becomes regular, to the point where we could see a message from Brian such as "Just ordered a batch of 2015 Core Sets, extra shiny". But until we know why they are protecting the numbers, we just have to operate blindly.

• darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I just want to help new people to know what items they have and what value.
    At east I saw some people just trading pins they didn't know what the value was.
    I'm thinking of this being a good tip sheet for new pin pal.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @PedroAsani‌ The only reason I can come up with off the top of my head is that if we know the print runs then we can then estimate how much money is being made off pin sales. I'm not sure why that information would be valuable, or why they wouldn't want people to know, but that's all I've got. Wizards of the Coast did the same thing with Magic about three or four years after the game had been in print - the original print numbers are known, but they stopped releasing that information a little ways into the life cycle of the game.

For the record, I'm in complete agreement that knowing the print runs would be beneficial to collectors. They don't seem to have a problem letting us know in some circumstances (i.e. Hanna, 15th Anniversary, even certain vendor pins at the conventions), which makes it all the more baffling why it's not a universal thing.

Insaneloon on
  • ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Insaneloon wrote: »
    They don't seem to have a problem letting us know in some circumstances (i.e. Hanna, 15th Anniversary, even certain vendor pins at the conventions), which makes it all the more baffling why it's not a universal thing.

Probably because they don't want it publicized that there are a bunch of pins that aren't labeled as "limited" that are actually a lot more rare than advertised LE pins.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Just because pins aren't readily available doesn't make them rare. I saw tons of east 2013 pins at East 2014, and it's just a lot of people aren't as active about the hobby like us brain squirrel servants. I mean how many active members post here, like 200ish? How many people are even registered on pinnypals?

• InsaneloonInsaneloon Jefferson City, MissouriRegistered User regular
    Ah, but therein lies the rub, doesn't it? If those pins are only available three or four times a year and only to those people who attend the event, I'd argue that they are still plenty rare. What good does it do me if there are 50,000 Aus Tychos down in Australia if those pins don't ever make their way to the US? Rarity and availability are linked together if availability stays low.

• DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    You experience is not the norm, myself and many others I met were looking for AUS pins at East and couldn't find any for trade.

I came across at least 5 people who were trading Aus Pins, and I obtained 2 full sets of Aus Pins on this trip to Boston. I heard of a few others, but never ran into them, and I believe at least one staff member had traded one Aus Pin to someone. For those who were looking, were you mainly just keeping an eye out on people's Pins they were wearing or were you asking anyone you met who traded Pins at all? I know some people who had Aus Pins weren't displaying them. If you let others know you're looking, they might be able to get word back to you through the grapevine. What you hear back might not always be accurate, but it shouldn't hurt to ask around.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Insaneloon wrote: »
    They don't seem to have a problem letting us know in some circumstances (i.e. Hanna, 15th Anniversary, even certain vendor pins at the conventions), which makes it all the more baffling why it's not a universal thing.

Probably because they don't want it publicized that there are a bunch of pins that aren't labeled as "limited" that are actually a lot more rare than advertised LE pins.

I'm having a hard time working out which ones those might be. 2012 Merch? or 2012 anything? They had a fair few of them all at 2013 East and Prime. We are aware that 2013 East was the first trial for PAX, and so might have smaller numbers than the rest. But I don't think that is the reason.

I think it might be that collating the previous data would be time consuming. Working forwards could be made very easy: whoever orders/receives the Pins makes a note of which one and how many. Going through the previous invoices would likely be a days work. But maybe a time-limited unpaid internship could open up for a local resident.

For the record, every pin besides DLC was obtainable for me at East from almost anyone.

And Hanna is just as easy if not easier to get than any other pin, don't forget, no other pin has had a reprint, the value of the pin is in the community alone IMO.

I searched high and low for Aus Tycho, but no such luck I'm afraid :(

Qumaden wrote: »

I searched high and low for Aus Tycho, but no such luck I'm afraid :(

I had one available on my lanyard all weekend, but it was only to someone with an Aus Gabe (which Pedro is helping me out with which is super awesome).

I also had an East 2013 logo for trade, which I'm shocked nobody asked about (though it can easily be mistaken for a 2014 because it's basically the same thing...)

What throws me is people who seem to have them all (like you), but you have extras, so it seems weird to offer any trade. And having it on your lanyard "available" for an equally rare pin is accurate by definition, but not attainable for most of us lowly squirrelers.

Early collectors are going to be hard to trade with since they have everything. But this is going to change as the number of Pins ramps up each year. 4 PAXes now means that even with Pin Pals it gets tough. If and when they add Pins to other events, our extras will start to dwindle rapidly. I'd expect that only those with especially large Brain Squirrels will be able to maintain complete collections.

Those with large bags of spare Pins are going to start making 2:1 trades the norm, as they will hold the rarer older Pins that the newer collectors will want. That will help maintain that lead for a little longer, but it will take more and more effort.

Newer people are still able to get in early enough and grab almost everything. But that window is starting to close.

I can easily see my brain squirrels committing seppuku due to not being able to keep up with an ever growing expanse of pins. I will however always want everything Gabe and Tycho or specifically related to the comic, no matter how many of the squirrels die off.

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I think a list that would help would be a list of exactly how each pin is obtained. Sure, Leeroy and Hearthstone were both Blizzard pins at PAX East, but they're definitely not in the same value tier in my (newbish) opinion. Trading with some staff is harder than others outside the pin meet up too, I'd imagine.

Like, how hard was the zombie Tycho pin to actually get, everything said and done? I have no idea and that'd be a big help to me.

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • foehammerfoehammer procrastinator extraordinaire melbourneRegistered User regular
    people who don't collect also don't know what they are worth i was in my lgs yesterday and said i had a guy getting me pins from pax east turns out that between them they had 7 aus sets and 15 aus chandras that were just going to sit in draws till they got thrown out, sadly i didn't say i would take them off their hands if they didn't want them, i stupidly said they had a value so they should probably hit ebay soon.
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    and almost certainly the percentage of Pins inadvertently devoured by alligators as they ate PAX attendees.
    as a side note there are no alligators in aus they are crocodiles

edited April 2014
    Here's my first rough estimate of X Pin to # of Colonial Kemper rates:

Colonial Kemper P$
    Stocking Kemper 1.5P$
    Kitty Kemper 2P$
    PAX Kemper 3P$
    Aus Kemper 20P$

These don't exactly relate to the below, because I'm just making these numbers up without putting too much time into analysis yet:

PAX East 2014 Logo 1 Colonial Kemper
    Hot Dog Fairy 1 Colonial Kemper
    Iron Guard Stance 1 Colonial Kemper
    Colonial Kemper 1 Colonial Kemper
    PAX East 10th Year 5 Colonial Kemper
    Alien Hominid 2 Colonial Kemper
    Chicken Logo 2 Colonial Kemper
    Golden Whale 2 Colonial Kemper
    Pink Knight 2 Colonial Kemper
    Anubis 1 Colonial Kemper
    Project Spark 1 Colonial Kemper
    KI Fightstick 5 Colonial Kemper
    D&D 5 Colonial Kemper
    Garruk 3 Colonial Kemper
    Leeroy Jenkins 6 Colonial Kemper
    Hearthstone Cards 3 Colonial Kemper
    Bard Rock 4 Colonial Kemper
    Zane & Mercy 2 Colonial Kemper
    MC Frontalot 2 Colonial Kemper
    Camp Weedonwantcha 2 Colonial Kemper
    Ellie 3 Colonial Kemper
    Iota 2 Colonial Kemper
    Handheld Lounge Gabe 3 Colonial Kemper
    Taple Top Tycho 3 Colonial Kemper
    PAX East 2013 Logo 3 Colonial Kemper
    PAX Kemper 3 Colonial Kemper
    Chandra 4 Colonial Kemper
    Merch 2.0 3 Colonial Kemper
    Broodax Gabe 2 Colonial Kemper
    Helmet Tycho 2 Colonial Kemper
    Flesh Reaper (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Fruit Fucker (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Gabe (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Tycho (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Pinny Arcade Logo (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Flesh Reaper (2013) 2 Colonial Kemper
    Fruit Fucker (2013) 2 Colonial Kemper
    Gabe (2013) 2 Colonial Kemper
    Tycho (2013) 2 Colonial Kemper
    Pinny Arcade Logo (2013) 2 Colonial Kemper
    Zombie Tycho (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    CTS (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Merch (2012) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Zombie Tycho (2013) 3 Colonial Kemper
    CTS (2013) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Merch (2013) 3 Colonial Kemper
    Kristin Lindsay 1 Colonial Kemper
    Ben Kuchera 1 Colonial Kemper
    Jamie Dillion 1 Colonial Kemper
    Erika Sadsad 1 Colonial Kemper
    Mike Fehlauer 1 Colonial Kemper
    Josh Price 1 Colonial Kemper
    Kiko Villasenor 1 Colonial Kemper
    Jeff Kalles 1 Colonial Kemper
    Levin Sadsad 1 Colonial Kemper
    Brian Sunter 1 Colonial Kemper
    Dave Coffman 1 Colonial Kemper
    Robert Khoo 1 Colonial Kemper
    PAX Prime 2013 Logo 2 Colonial Kemper
    Baby Gabe 2 Colonial Kemper
    Tycho Tot 2 Colonial Kemper
    Kitty Kemper 2 Colonial Kemper
    Elspeth 1 Colonial Kemper
    Rayman 3 Colonial Kemper
    Second Son 2 Colonial Kemper
    Draken 2 Colonial Kemper
    Granok 2 Colonial Kemper
    Juggernaut 2 Colonial Kemper
    Jin 2 Colonial Kemper
    Strip Search 2 Colonial Kemper
    Chainsaw Suit 2 Colonial Kemper
    Skull Fart 3 Colonial Kemper
    Professor Pigglesworth 3 Colonial Kemper
    Bloody Bear 2 Colonial Kemper
    Viking 2 Colonial Kemper
    Hatty Hattington 2 Colonial Kemper
    Star 2 Colonial Kemper
    Cat Guard 2 Colonial Kemper
    Davey Crockett 2 Colonial Kemper
    Giraffey 2 Colonial Kemper
    Cardinal 2 Colonial Kemper
    Aus Gabe 10 Colonial Kemper
    Aus Tycho 10 Colonial Kemper
    Aus Kemper 20 Colonial Kemper
    PAX Aus 2013 Logo 15 Colonial Kemper
    Chandra 2 6 Colonial Kemper
    Combo Breaker 2 Colonial Kemper
    Sabrewulf 2 Colonial Kemper
    Galcius 2 Colonial Kemper
    Supreme Victory 2 Colonial Kemper
    KI Logo 4 Colonial Kemper
    Jago 4 Colonial Kemper
    Lookouts Crest 2 Colonial Kemper
    Lookouts Leader 1 Colonial Kemper
    Lookouts 01 1 Colonial Kemper
    Lookouts 02 1 Colonial Kemper
    Lookouts 03 1 Colonial Kemper
    Lookouts 04 1 Colonial Kemper
    Catsby 2 Colonial Kemper
    Twisp 2 Colonial Kemper
    Moon 2 Colonial Kemper
    Balloon Man 2 Colonial Kemper
    Mummy Gabe 2 Colonial Kemper
    Vampire Tycho 2 Colonial Kemper
    Pumpkin Fruit Fucker 2 Colonial Kemper
    Witch Annarcy 2 Colonial Kemper
    Santa Gabe 2 Colonial Kemper
    Elf Tycho 2 Colonial Kemper
    Wrapped Div 2 Colonial Kemper
    Stocking Kemper 2 Colonial Kemper
    Acquisitions Inc Logo 1 Colonial Kemper
    Omin Dran 1 Colonial Kemper
    Jim Darkmagic 1 Colonial Kemper
    Binwin Bronzebottom 1 Colonial Kemper
    Valentine's Day 6 Colonial Kemper
    DLC Kickstarter 100 Colonial Kempers
    Hanna 6 Colonial Kemper
    15th Anniversary 6 Colonial Kemper

Konig Wolf on
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    Konig Wolf wrote: »
    I came across at least 5 people who were trading Aus Pins, and I obtained 2 full sets of Aus Pins on this trip to Boston. I heard of a few others, but never ran into them, and I believe at least one staff member had traded one Aus Pin to someone. For those who were looking, were you mainly just keeping an eye out on people's Pins they were wearing or were you asking anyone you met who traded Pins at all? I know some people who had Aus Pins weren't displaying them. If you let others know you're looking, they might be able to get word back to you through the grapevine. What you hear back might not always be accurate, but it shouldn't hurt to ask around.

I approached a lot of people this weekend, and I was also approached by some. I also always asked "Do you have any aus pins for trade?". Almost universally the answer was no, I'm looking for them too. One guy had one pin for trade, but was only interested in trading it as part of some kind of deal for a DLC pin. At this point, I'm hoping that my AUS Pal is able to trade for them at next PAX Aus, as 2013 East seemed to be rather available at this years east.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    foehammer wrote: »
    as a side note there are no alligators in aus they are crocodiles

And they're ALWAYS HUNGRY FOR HUMAN FLESH!!
    DaveRH wrote: »
    One guy had one pin for trade, but was only interested in trading it as part of some kind of deal for a DLC pin.

That's crazy. If anyone is getting rid of their DLC pin (even a spare one) the number of hard to find pins they'd want would be nuts. Better off selling it on ebay and buying the pins you want outright.

Like, how hard was the zombie Tycho pin to actually get, everything said and done? I have no idea and that'd be a big help to me.

Mike and Jerry have an autograph session at every Pax, and they've got a big box of their respective pins sitting behind them the whole time and a bunch sitting openly on the table for you to trade for. So even though it's only for one hour on one day of the show, there's a guaranteed window of time for you to find them.

From what I've gathered, Mike makes himself easier to find during the rest of the show, though at last Prime I spotted Jerry more often (he seemed to spend a large amount of time in the Indie megabooth talking to the devs).

I didn't go to East, so I'm curious if either of them had any of their leftover Samurai/Zombie pins to trade along with their new pins, or if they officially retired them. At all the boardgame meetups, Mike had a big bag full of Samurai, so I know he had a bunch of extras. Which brings me to another question; what are they doing with all the extra pins that don't sell? We know, for example, that the Christmas, Halloween and Valentines pin are getting taken off the store at the end of the month, but surely they've still got plenty of at least the first two.

My PINS

• surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    Which brings me to another question; what are they doing with all the extra pins that don't sell?
    i-x4mSCW3-1050x10000.jpg

@Vaanrose‌ They didn't have any during the autograph sessions or on them when I ran into them throughout East this year. However at the big pin trading event there were several on the table up for grabs. When I found out they were retiring the CTS and Zombie Tycho I kind of flipped my shit since I had traded mine away thinking "Pfft, I'll just get them back at the next PAX"

surette wrote: »
    i-x4mSCW3-1050x10000.jpg

I walked right into that one.

My PINS

• Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Konig Wolf wrote: »
    Here's my first rough estimate of X Pin to # of Colonel Kemper rates:
    Colonel Kemper P$
    Stocking Kemper 1.5P$
    Kitty Kemper 2P$
    PAX Kemper 3P$
    Aus Kemper 20P$

These don't exactly relate to the below, because I'm just making these numbers up without putting too much time into analysis yet:

PAX East 2014 Logo 1 Colonel Kemper
    Hot Dog Fairy 1 Colonel Kemper
    Iron Guard Stance 1 Colonel Kemper
    Colonial Kemper 1 Colonel Kemper
    PAX East 10th Year 5 Colonel Kemper
    Alien Hominid 2 Colonel Kemper
    Chicken Logo 2 Colonel Kemper
    Golden Whale 2 Colonel Kemper
    Pink Knight 2 Colonel Kemper
    Anubis 1 Colonel Kemper
    Project Spark 1 Colonel Kemper
    KI Fightstick 5 Colonel Kemper
    D&D 5 Colonel Kemper
    Garruk 3 Colonel Kemper
    Leeroy Jenkins 6 Colonel Kemper
    Hearthstone Cards 3 Colonel Kemper
    Bard Rock 4 Colonel Kemper
    Zane & Mercy 2 Colonel Kemper
    MC Frontalot 2 Colonel Kemper
    Camp Weedonwantcha 2 Colonel Kemper
    Ellie 3 Colonel Kemper
    Iota 2 Colonel Kemper
    Handheld Lounge Gabe 3 Colonel Kemper
    Taple Top Tycho 3 Colonel Kemper
    PAX East 2013 Logo 3 Colonel Kemper
    PAX Kemper 3 Colonel Kemper
    Chandra 4 Colonel Kemper
    Merch 2.0 3 Colonel Kemper
    Broodax Gabe 2 Colonel Kemper
    Helmet Tycho 2 Colonel Kemper
    Flesh Reaper (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Fruit Fucker (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Gabe (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Tycho (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Pinny Arcade Logo (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Flesh Reaper (2013) 2 Colonel Kemper
    Fruit Fucker (2013) 2 Colonel Kemper
    Gabe (2013) 2 Colonel Kemper
    Tycho (2013) 2 Colonel Kemper
    Pinny Arcade Logo (2013) 2 Colonel Kemper
    Zombie Tycho (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    CTS (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Merch (2012) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Zombie Tycho (2013) 3 Colonel Kemper
    CTS (2013) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Merch (2013) 3 Colonel Kemper
    Kristin Lindsay 1 Colonel Kemper
    Ben Kuchera 1 Colonel Kemper
    Jamie Dillion 1 Colonel Kemper
    Erika Sadsad 1 Colonel Kemper
    Mike Fehlauer 1 Colonel Kemper
    Josh Price 1 Colonel Kemper
    Kiko Villasenor 1 Colonel Kemper
    Jeff Kalles 1 Colonel Kemper
    Levin Sadsad 1 Colonel Kemper
    Brian Sunter 1 Colonel Kemper
    Dave Coffman 1 Colonel Kemper
    Robert Khoo 1 Colonel Kemper
    PAX Prime 2013 Logo 2 Colonel Kemper
    Baby Gabe 2 Colonel Kemper
    Tycho Tot 2 Colonel Kemper
    Kitty Kemper 2 Colonel Kemper
    Elspeth 1 Colonel Kemper
    Rayman 3 Colonel Kemper
    Second Son 2 Colonel Kemper
    Draken 2 Colonel Kemper
    Granok 2 Colonel Kemper
    Juggernaut 2 Colonel Kemper
    Jin 2 Colonel Kemper
    Strip Search 2 Colonel Kemper
    Chainsaw Suit 2 Colonel Kemper
    Skull Fart 3 Colonel Kemper
    Professor Pigglesworth 3 Colonel Kemper
    Bloody Bear 2 Colonel Kemper
    Viking 2 Colonel Kemper
    Hatty Hattington 2 Colonel Kemper
    Star 2 Colonel Kemper
    Cat Guard 2 Colonel Kemper
    Davey Crockett 2 Colonel Kemper
    Giraffey 2 Colonel Kemper
    Cardinal 2 Colonel Kemper
    Aus Gabe 10 Colonel Kemper
    Aus Tycho 10 Colonel Kemper
    Aus Kemper 20 Colonel Kemper
    PAX Aus 2013 Logo 15 Colonel Kemper
    Chandra 2 6 Colonel Kemper
    Combo Breaker 2 Colonel Kemper
    Sabrewulf 2 Colonel Kemper
    Galcius 2 Colonel Kemper
    Supreme Victory 2 Colonel Kemper
    KI Logo 4 Colonel Kemper
    Jago 4 Colonel Kemper
    Lookouts Crest 2 Colonel Kemper
    Lookouts Leader 1 Colonel Kemper
    Lookouts 01 1 Colonel Kemper
    Lookouts 02 1 Colonel Kemper
    Lookouts 03 1 Colonel Kemper
    Lookouts 04 1 Colonel Kemper
    Catsby 2 Colonel Kemper
    Twisp 2 Colonel Kemper
    Moon 2 Colonel Kemper
    Balloon Man 2 Colonel Kemper
    Mummy Gabe 2 Colonel Kemper
    Vampire Tycho 2 Colonel Kemper
    Pumpkin Fruit Fucker 2 Colonel Kemper
    Witch Annarcy 2 Colonel Kemper
    Santa Gabe 2 Colonel Kemper
    Elf Tycho 2 Colonel Kemper
    Wrapped Div 2 Colonel Kemper
    Stocking Kemper 2 Colonel Kemper
    Acquisitions Inc Logo 1 Colonel Kemper
    Omin Dran 1 Colonel Kemper
    Jim Darkmagic 1 Colonel Kemper
    Binwin Bronzebottom 1 Colonel Kemper
    Valentine's Day 6 Colonel Kemper
    DLC Kickstarter 100 Colonel Kempers
    Hanna 6 Colonel Kemper
    15th Anniversary 6 Colonel Kemper

I hate to be that guy (especially since this post benefits me greatly), but it's *Colonial* Kemper.

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
    I hate to be that guy (especially since this post benefits me greatly), but it's *Colonial* Kemper.

Hahahaha, I can't believe no one corrected me on that during PAX East. I don't think I ever looked at the actual name on it, just went off what I heard others calling him. I kind of liked calling him Colonel Kemper more than Colonial Kemper. Maybe someday we'll have PAX on a military base and we'll get a real Colonel Kemper.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    I didn't go to East, so I'm curious if either of them had any of their leftover Samurai/Zombie pins to trade along with their new pins, or if they officially retired them. At all the boardgame meetups, Mike had a big bag full of Samurai, so I know he had a bunch of extras. Which brings me to another question; what are they doing with all the extra pins that don't sell? We know, for example, that the Christmas, Halloween and Valentines pin are getting taken off the store at the end of the month, but surely they've still got plenty of at least the first two.

I spoke to both Mike and Jerry about the CTS and Zombie Tycho pins (my son was looking for them.) Basically they have a bunch still, but neither one thought to bring them, insteading loading up with their new pins. I know at least one staff member had a few available if you asked nicely.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Do you guys think the 2013 PAX sets are worth so much because it was the first set of pins for each? Or more because the sets were limited and all the sets that were cheap originally on eBay or traded away for are gone?

I figure once we move further away from East 2014 and the initial rush of trading/over-priced-but-not-as-high-as-it-could-be eBay listings are done with that we will see a spike like last year. Well, at least I am hoping for that so I can get started on my 2015 pin budget. Heh.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Do you guys think the 2013 PAX sets are worth so much because it was the first set of pins for each? Or more because the sets were limited and all the sets that were cheap originally on eBay or traded away for are gone?

I figure once we move further away from East 2014 and the initial rush of trading/over-priced-but-not-as-high-as-it-could-be eBay listings are done with that we will see a spike like last year. Well, at least I am hoping for that so I can get started on my 2015 pin budget. Heh.

I think it's more about the lack of availability. The older a Pin gets, the more likely it has found it's way into the hands of a collector intending to keep it.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »

I think it's more about the lack of availability. The older a Pin gets, the more likely it has found it's way into the hands of a collector intending to keep it.

So, hold on to my extra few East 2014 sets. Gotcha. ;)

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • InsanekittenInsanekitten Registered User regular
    I think like Gabe had kind of mentioned in one of his posts, Pinny Arcade Pins may very well get so big to the point where a complete collection would be overwhelming so then newbies will probably start restricting themselves only to certain kinds of pins so they can afford to have a collection they'd be happy with...e.g. latecomer newbie may decide they will only collect convention pins... or only perma pins... or of games they've played...and so forth.

Pinny Arcade Pins is still in a fairly early phases of growth so we haven't gotten there, but I anticipate with this much popularity with this program it'll eventually become that way.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I think like Gabe had kind of mentioned in one of his posts, Pinny Arcade Pins may very well get so big to the point where a complete collection would be overwhelming so then newbies will probably start restricting themselves only to certain kinds of pins so they can afford to have a collection they'd be happy with...

Yeah, I've been pretty aggressive with collecting pins but I'll probably scale back. I don't go for pins associated with games that I'm not interested in any more, and there are some that I don't need to go after at this point (i.e. I have all of the staff pins except for Ben).

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • gn0xgn0x Arizona, USARegistered User regular
    Staff pins - I got Kiko's from him in passing at the Microsoft Booth. Got a couple from trades with random pin peeps. Got a few more from Kristen at the info/pin booth. I didn't get to attend the pin trading event, but it looked like staff were readily available with their pins for trade.

I was able to get 2 full sets of 2013 East pins through various trades with random pin peeps and enforcers.

I'd made a BUNCH of trades in line waiting for Magic:the Gathering.

I just had to ask random people if they were trading, It was a lot of fun.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I had an idea, and since I don't have the skills to make it happen, I figured i'd throw it out there in the hopes that someone else would implement it.

There is a lot of discussion about the value of pins in relation to each other, which is more, etc. I was thinking that a website that presents visitors with 2 pins and asks them to vote on which is more valuable might be a good way to get the pulse of the community and build a relative value table. Similar to the "Hot or Not" style of voting, but for pins.

User would be presented with 2 pins, and asked to choose which is more valuable. After choosing they would be presented with data on what others said and immediately presented with another set of pins to rate.

It should not present the same pairing to a person (based on ip probably) more then once in a week or so. Otherwise someone with malicious intent could easily mess with the ratings. But you do want to allow for over time fluctuation in value.

As time goes on it should probably have some kind of weight where it throws out newer pins to be rated more then older pins.

It should have a listing that gets generated that they can see that has all pins ranked 1st to last.

"value" is hard to determine. Would the site have data as known on the pin like number minted, where it was released, etc? Or just the picture. If only pictures, you might get more random votes from casual traders who don't know much about the scarcity. If you have data, it will be incomplete.

Anyway, just an idea, discuss, implement, or ignore as you will.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    I think your best bet is really going to be *sold* eBay auctions, this is exactly what the market is willing to pay for them and I think we'd find most pins average out.

Comparing pins to other pins isn't as relevant, everyone has a different measure on what pins are worth other pins to them and this can vary wildly by factors like generosity, aesthetic appeal, goal based trades (like trying to own ALL the kempers), completing a collection desperation etc

The problem with eBay is it isn't always clear if a pin sold or just ended and the true market value is often elusive because the reasonably priced pins don't last very long at all, it's hard to know if you've tracked them all. I think a few people are tracking them and if we can get everyone to submit their data they've collected, I think we can make a pretty good "Price Guide Book", as always, happy to host this on the website (always looking for new projects, see: podcast).

From when I had the time to do this, most pins average $30-60. PAX sets average $60-80 and Aus/East 2013 average $400+. DLC is a special case and doesn't really need a price, whatever the market is willing to pay at the time, I don't see any other pin fluctuating any where near as much as this pin will.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    From when I had the time to do this, most pins average $30-60. PAX sets average $60-80 and Aus/East 2013 average $400+. DLC is a special case and doesn't really need a price, whatever the market is willing to pay at the time, I don't see any other pin fluctuating any where near as much as this pin will.

The East/Aus 13 sets get listed at those prices but all the listings I've watched (out of curiosity) haven't sold, I think realistically people are looking to buy more in the $200-$300 range.

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    I think your best bet is really going to be *sold* eBay auctions, this is exactly what the market is willing to pay for them and I think we'd find most pins average out.

Comparing pins to other pins isn't as relevant, everyone has a different measure on what pins are worth other pins to them and this can vary wildly by factors like generosity, aesthetic appeal, goal based trades (like trying to own ALL the kempers), completing a collection desperation etc

The problem with eBay is it isn't always clear if a pin sold or just ended and the true market value is often elusive because the reasonably priced pins don't last very long at all, it's hard to know if you've tracked them all. I think a few people are tracking them and if we can get everyone to submit their data they've collected, I think we can make a pretty good "Price Guide Book", as always, happy to host this on the website (always looking for new projects, see: podcast).

Personally, I think you are right - although when you look up completed auctions on eBay, just disregard those with the amount in red (didn't sell), only look at the green amounts (sold for that price). That was you can definitely know how much people really paid for the pins, and also how much was considered too expensive by the market (and did not sell).

I use the completed listings on eBay as well as the currently for sale items on eBay to evaluate my pins. But that's just my opinion.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!