As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    There appears to be enough humans in the Theros block, in R/W, to actually pull off the Titan of Eternal Flame as a late/optional wincon. It's a real shame it doesn't say "Soldier", though.

Put in Purph to soften them up, and by T6 when you slam Prometheus down, you might be able to Tim someone out.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »

My two takes;
    Golgari
    4 Hero of Leina Tower
    4 Elvish Mystic
    4 Gladecover Scout
    4 Spiteful Returned
    2 Brain Maggot
    4 Bassara Tower Archer
    4 Witchstalker
    2 Boon Satyr
    1 Nylea, God of the Hunt

4 Deviant Glee
    2 Gift of Orzhova

3 Thoughtseize

5 Forest
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Temple of Malady
    4 Overgrown Tomb
    4 Temple Garden
    1 Swamp
    Selesnya:
    4 Gladecover Scout
    4 Hero of Leina Tower
    4 Bassara Tower Archer
    4 Voice of Resurgence
    4 Witchstalker
    2 Eidolon of Blossoms
    1 Nylea, God of the Hunt

4 Ethereal Armor
    3 Unflinching Courage
    3 Banishing Light

3 Selesnya Charm
    2 Ajani's Presence

6 Forest
    4 Temple of Plenty
    4 Mana Confluence
    4 Temple Garden
    2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    2 Plains

I think Hero of Leina Tower, particularly in the list with Nykthos seems like it's the best one drop after Gladecover Scout. It's not a dead card later on in the game, since a single heroic trigger and some mana can turn it into a credible threat all on it's own.

The Golgari list has much more disruption and could run Golgari Charm for the mirror, against the smaller white aggro decks and to ignore Supreme Verdicts.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/deck/1473

This was so close to my red devo deck that I decided to give it a try today and holy moly is it good

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Blinding Flare is a surprisingly good heroic trigger, for red. Pretty flexible, too.

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    So I drafted this tonight:
    1 Heliod, God of the Sun
    2 Observant Alseid
    2 Hopeful Eidolon
    1 Elite Skirmisher
    1 Wingsteed Rider
    1 Leonin Snarecaster
    1 Asphodel Wanderer
    1 Cavalry Pegasus
    1 Tormented Hero
    1 Baleful Eidolon
    1 Traveling Philosopher
    1 Lagonna-Band Elder
    1 Burnished Hart

2 Grisly Transformation
    1 Boon of Erebos
    1 Necrobite
    1 Divine Verdict
    1 Mortal's Ardor
    1 Asphixiate
    1 Chosen by Heliod
    1 Exoriate

7 Swamps
    9 Plains

I felt really good about this, but kept running into mana issues. This is the first draft where I really looked at every card that was handed to me, instead of just picking a random card in a color. I even switched colors based on a common card I got out of pack two.

Sadly, I went 2-2 but I feel this is was above average draft deck. Its just hard to ask opinions because you don't get to see what I passed on

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    tugga wrote: »
    So I drafted this tonight:
    1 Heliod, God of the Sun
    2 Observant Alseid
    2 Hopeful Eidolon
    1 Elite Skirmisher
    1 Wingsteed Rider
    1 Leonin Snarecaster
    1 Asphodel Wanderer
    1 Cavalry Pegasus
    1 Tormented Hero
    1 Baleful Eidolon
    1 Traveling Philosopher
    1 Lagonna-Band Elder
    1 Burnished Hart

2 Grisly Transformation
    1 Boon of Erebos
    1 Necrobite
    1 Divine Verdict
    1 Mortal's Ardor
    1 Asphixiate
    1 Chosen by Heliod
    1 Exoriate

7 Swamps
    9 Plains

I felt really good about this, but kept running into mana issues. This is the first draft where I really looked at every card that was handed to me, instead of just picking a random card in a color. I even switched colors based on a common card I got out of pack two.

Sadly, I went 2-2 but I feel this is was above average draft deck. Its just hard to ask opinions because you don't get to see what I passed on

Looks powerful that's for sure, sucks you got land screwed a bunch, that's a scary limited deck

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    revel of the fallen god is pretty bad

but it has cool flavor text I guess?

it is a massive limited bomb

lol no it isn't, 8 power for 7 mana is not exactly a bargain exchange, especially when they have no evasion - the game is constantly clogged up with X/3s or 2/X making it really hard to get these guys through, and if you're already deep in R/G odds are good you have much better things to do with your mana, like monstrous your big guys or hold a combat trick

Even given that this is 4 bodies, casting it is not going to significantly shift the game in your favor

Nullzone on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I guess they do have haste, so you can get at least 8 scattered damage out of them before they run into a Drown in Sorrow.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I have an irrational urge to build a black/green reanimator deck just so I can name it "Stayin' Alive, by the BGs"

edited April 2014
    Ramp into Champion of Stray Souls, ability Gary's out for 4+ damage hits, ability Abhorrent Overlords for mass tokens/sacrifices.

I was looking at Pack Rat for my two drop, so I could get reanimate targets out of my hand faster, while not leaving myself vulnerable to stuff. Plus, if you T2 Pack Rat, by T4 (when you should be dropping Champion and getting ready to animate), you should have some tokens to sacrifice by T5.

Using Champion may seem sloppy, but it's a true reanimator. If you use dorks and Caryatids, you should have zero problems getting him out and getting him going.

Plus you're running a lot of black devotion, so when you sac a harpy token to bring out a gary, you hit for $texas to the dome.

Anon the Felon on
    Plus Nykthos can help mitigate the Champion's high costs.

edited April 2014
    Your biggest threat is Pithing Needle, which you can SB counter for pretty easily (you could even SB in some sacrifice enchantment hate creatures, so you could always have counters for Dsphere and it's ilk too).

The new spider also lets you run spells a lot better (in a reanimator). Since you can filter your GY away, and yank that Unravel you need.

Animating then sacrificing Ashen Rider is also like... A thing you should be doing.

Anon the Felon on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Do you want to buy my champion of stray souls?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Now we have Nyx spoilers, what small themes are we seeing in Theros block that could be seeds for the next set?

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    there is a small jace hidden in the background art of every journey card, so that is a pretty big hint that the whole next one will just be jace cards

2x39jD4.jpg
    Every time I try to put Blue and Red together I find myself asking a question: "Will anyone actually want to play with me?"

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I one made a red blue deck whose win con was stitch in time and eye of the storm. People liked playing it because they were as likely to won with it as I was.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the first red/blue player i met on FNM talked about jace's relationship status for half the game

this is my only experience with red/blue players

liEt3nH.png
    edited April 2014
    I just don't like burn decks. They're way too simple for me.

The second I splash red, it goes burn and ruins the deck. I literally can not make anything with red.

Anon the Felon on
    Burn hard deck, subtraction tough.

that's why you ramp into your burn, so you only have to subtract once

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The best time I ever had at FNM was when I forgot to bring any cards so I just built mono red with whatever they had in the store.

Turns out $12 gets you the most satisfying 5-0 (10-1 in games!) in the history of ever.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    so this was basically you

BmFN7Tr.jpg

2x39jD4.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    R/U is da best. Cast all the burn spells, as fast as you can! Draw more burn spells with that blue mana! Maybe counter something if you're a sissy!

Beat people upside the head with a pissed off goat!
    Spellheart-Chimera-Theros-Spoiler.jpg

Don't stop till someone's dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-U-apEUZI

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    That was literally the deck.

Except I used a lot of scry and blue bounce. So I could win by scrying up a Flamespeaker, or burning into a Chimera. But just keep you bounced off the board (bounce is literally the most devastating counter. Throwing off a curve alone can win games.) so I could swing with both. Plus Firedancer in the two drop and 16 burn cards...

It just got dumb and dopey.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    so we drafted one of my best friend's favorite sets for his bachelor party

x3 alara reborn draft is hilarious, nobody is playing less than 4 colors

and I got 2 maelstrom pulses out of the deal. doesnt exactly recoup the losses from the box 'cause it wasnt cheap but it was super fun

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    just went 4-0 in a 7-man draft with buddies, g devotion/heroic with a white spash

this deck involved aspect of hydra every game for 4-7, fated intervention on opponent's end step followed by elspeth ult, and a hunter's prowess draw of 11 cards

this deck was incredible

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    I love how you hid the Elspeth till the second bit.

Don't ever stop thugin'.

RW burn for standard king yes please. Make goblin guide a core set staple.

I think I'm actually going to make this U/R bounce/burn deck. Since winning a few packs, I'd like to have a softball deck around...

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I love how you hid the Elspeth till the second bit.

Don't ever stop thugin'.

oh, this elspeth??? Just another card in the deck, my man

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    so we drafted one of my best friend's favorite sets for his bachelor party

x3 alara reborn draft is hilarious, nobody is playing less than 4 colors

and I got 2 maelstrom pulses out of the deal. doesnt exactly recoup the losses from the box 'cause it wasnt cheap but it was super fun

This is what my first draft was.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    R/U is da best. Cast all the burn spells, as fast as you can! Draw more burn spells with that blue mana! Maybe counter something if you're a sissy!

Beat people upside the head with a pissed off goat!
    Spellheart-Chimera-Theros-Spoiler.jpg

Don't stop till someone's dead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6-U-apEUZI

Izzet decks are my favorite thing.

My second favorite thing is Boros.

Basically, any deck that utilizes red to burn your face and go as fast as possible is a deck I love.

IKknkhU.gif
    I have an online deck that's all Pyromancers, Spellhearts, and Goblin Electromancers. I have a blast with it, but I have to imagine people aren't thrilled about every other spell they cast getting countered, then when they finally land a creature it catches a Lightning Strike to the face.

Fanatic of Mogis, best card to come out of the Theros block

edited April 2014
    The Betman wrote: »
    Fanatic of Mogis, best card to come out of the Theros block

fanatic is maybe, maybe, the best red minotaur to come out in theros block

edit but not much else

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I do kind of want to try minotaur tribal once JOU is out.

Other than the mana base that deck is super cheap, right?

X22wmuF.jpg
    turtleant wrote: »
    I do kind of want to try minotaur tribal once JOU is out.

Other than the mana base that deck is super cheap, right?

depends on how you feel about adding thoughtseize

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    mana confluence helps a lot so you will probably need those

im also unsure how playable reckoner is considering the one drop it did get is black not red so you will need more black sources early I think so you may or may not need him

7yh4xczljsym.png
    mana confluence helps a lot so you will probably need those

im also unsure how playable reckoner is considering the one drop it did get is black not red so you will need more black sources early I think so you may or may not need him

He's actually super playable with things like the scrylands and ragemonger

This discussion has been closed.