As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

D&D D&D: One Month of Roleplaying

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    If you're solely interested in instrumentals, you can probably find some more of what you're looking for in NIN's instrumentals, particularly the Ghosts albums. I'll try to get around to posting specific tracks with playlist suggestions but I'll likely be fairly busy today.

• Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    mother of god

holy shit dude

like seriously god damn

thank you for this

Team Islam Is The Light has completed their first session.

Highlights:
    @japan asked a bartender for black coffee. The bartender was nonplussed.
    Despite having never played an RPG, let alone Shadowrun, @BobCesca immediately told the Johnson to put up or shut up.
    @RMS Oceanic whiffed on the very first roll of the game. (I actually thought it was a crit glitch, but they apparently made that more forgiving in 5E.)
    The team has settled on seducing a teenager as the solution to their immediate problem.

So much fun. Good to be back in the saddle. Thanks again for organizing this.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    eeeeeeeeeee

agent of the god machine snoopin us during character creation

rN6fuSu.png

• PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Rage Against the (God) Machine

Defeat the lords of reality through loud music, dreads, and incredible jump checks.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    So Team Automata met tonight. The highlights from tonight include:

Our roguish villains found themselves wearing outfits that were color coordinated and with matching accessories. Quickly they realized prison jumpsuit orange was not as flattering as one could hope and while cuffs are fun in a BDSM photoshoot they just aren't good day wear. Thankfully they soon encounter the heroic FBI agent who offered them a deal of a lifetime. Do one job for him and get two years off their sentences. Or get transferred to a Supermax Prison and spend 22 out of 24 hours a day in solitary. Our crew took a moment to ponder this offer and decided that this discussion would be much easier without the cameras watching. Sadly the hacker/thief found himself thwarted by the clever FBI agent not leaving any paper clips behind. So his attempts to pick their cuffs with a staple were less than successful.

On that note, our band of scoundrels decided that accepting the offer on the table would be a better use then attempting to break out of prison. Their hopes for an all expenses paid vacation on the tax payers dime was thwarted by the FBI reasonable frugality. They were fitted with ankle trackers and told when the next bus to L.A. was. From there they found new lodgings which shockingly they paid for. And a car, also surprisingly paid for. And they begin to figure out how to take down the Pharmaceutical CEO who seems to be causing people researching papers showing his drugs kill to disappear.

And we left off from there.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    You left out the part where, despite being handcuffed to a prison table, our resident thief/hacker still managed to disable the prison security camera

yeah, he's that good

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I assume he did it by flinging a staple in an awesome way.

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    my idea was the best one

he already did it thirty five minutes ago

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    damn what a first session.

Thanks Jacob for getting this started.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Team It Has Been 0 Days Since We Killed A Baby had a fun first session.

I'll leave the write-up to LoserForHireX if he sees fit to describe our flailing around, but I had a good time and he ran it well.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So Team You Are Seared had our first session last night in Shadowrun!

I had fun, our crew got to meet each other for the first time doing a job for a dude in Miami. My character and Aarseth's knew each other previously, so rather than him getting a call personally from some affiliate of the dude hiring us, I got to call him up and talk him into joining us personally. I got a huge kick out of how much our conversation felt like me being Lamar trying to talk Franklin into coming along with him to a drug deal.

We're still yet to pull off the job itself, but we've gotten a good deal of roleplaying in (most of the characters haven't known each other until now so this first meet-up has been fun to roleplay through) and mostly we've been taking in all the details of our surroundings before we make a move. I'm excited to see how we pull off our shenanigans. It's not a question of if we pull it off so much as if we pull in a sweet bonus for doing it smoothly, though, so whatever happens should be great to play through.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Team It Has Been 0 Days Since We Killed A Baby had a fun first session.

I'll leave the write-up to LoserForHireX if he sees fit to describe our flailing around, but I had a good time and he ran it well.

Also Ked and Rchanan did a great job at rolling with my character considering as our session started I was literally still figuring out how to give him stats

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Team Automata met tonight.

Our band of plucky rapscallions decided that they were going to start investigating the biker gang the evil CEO was using to do his hench work. They decided that upon meeting a biker gang for the first time, one brings gifts. And for our knaves, the gift they settled on was a big bag of drugs. Sadly for them Critical his a hard core supporter of D.A.R.E. and their first attempt to score a lot of drugs failed and caused the "Smells like a Narc" complication. On the second attempt by the mastermind they got the "How much harder can this be with the attention of another three letter organization?" and also no drugs. But it did give them enough plot points to create a flashback about a favor owed but they were reluctant to collect on. Which gave them the big bag of drugs asset.

Finalizing their plans they went to the Biker Bar. A fat old biker tried to start some shit but without much luck and the group's second story man attempted to get in the back door. He realized he was a bit rusty from prison. The team's grifter had a tense stare down with the biker gang leader that escalated till the leader finally blinked. And we ended there.

I'd like to thank Critical for making me laugh so hard as the group attempted to buy drugs.

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Great 2nd session for team It has been 0 days since we killed a baby.

We found out that our suspect was just a patsy, that guns and close quarters combat with things with more teeth than the Osmond family do not mix and that Kana's character can perform ocular surgery.

we had a good first session for team darkmagic (playing demon)

we heard a bartender had some shit we should be interested in, so we went to the club where she works

gooby scared the doorman, who let us in without checking our IDs

we noticed some dudes acting shady, and they tried to split

jakob tracked one of them like a silent shadow, and then silently kicked the shit out of him (learning nothing in the process) and stashed the unconscious dude somewhere safe

gooey and I cornered another of the dudes in the bathroom, where I insulted his dick and gooby broke his arm with such stunning artistry that the guy's twin, halfway around the world, suffered an identical perfect break

we learned from the bathroom dude that the bartender has some soul contracts that they were planning to mug her for, so jakob persuaded her that we can help and she told us to meet her at a diner after work

end round 1

Also you illegally and casually abused your position as an NSA operative to perform secret clandestine observation of a U.S. citizen for personal purposes

so you did a great job of staying in character, is what i'm saying.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    it was the mona lisa of bone breaking

919UOwT.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Also I deactivated the bartender's paranoia with our shared background as angry anarchists. And then proceeded to do mostly social stuff with my 1 manipulation and 0 subterfuge, socialization and empathy. it was a miracle that didn't blow completely, to be honest. Good times. Using my character for all the things he does worst.

Gooey wrote: »
    it was the mona lisa of bone breaking

"Do you have anything else to add about the assailant, sir? I assume you want to press charges?"

"Yeah, I don't remember what he looked like, except his crazy eyes.... and...."

"Yes? What is it? DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT HE LOOKED LIKE? DO WE HAVE A LEAD IN THE ARMWRECKER INVESTIGATION?"

"Sir, I think you mean 'do we have a break'?"

"Shut up detective."

"No, its not that, I don't remember anything else about him but..... but...... the break..... so.... clean..... if you find him....

tell him I still have another arm as his canvas."

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So Team You Are Seared had our first session last night in Shadowrun!

I had fun, our crew got to meet each other for the first time doing a job for a dude in Miami. My character and Aarseth's knew each other previously, so rather than him getting a call personally from some affiliate of the dude hiring us, I got to call him up and talk him into joining us personally. I got a huge kick out of how much our conversation felt like me being Lamar trying to talk Franklin into coming along with him to a drug deal.

We're still yet to pull off the job itself, but we've gotten a good deal of roleplaying in (most of the characters haven't known each other until now so this first meet-up has been fun to roleplay through) and mostly we've been taking in all the details of our surroundings before we make a move. I'm excited to see how we pull off our shenanigans. It's not a question of if we pull it off so much as if we pull in a sweet bonus for doing it smoothly, though, so whatever happens should be great to play through.

We had our second session the other night!

Highlights include getting paid, getting the sweet bonus, Choco and Aarseth blowing the shit out of like twenty pirates, and me failing at casting multiple spells and being shoved off of a boat into a muddy lagoon.

It was not my proudest moment,

Shivahn wrote: »
    Choco and Aarseth blowing the shit out of like twenty pirates

roll dex + charisma + any skill points in sex (specialty: fellatio)

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Wits or Manipulation + Subterfuge

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Choco and Aarseth blowing the shit out of like twenty pirates

roll dex + charisma + any skill points in sex (specialty: fellatio)

Almost every spell I cast, I think "I wonder if I could use this during sex."

It is looking like just under half would be useful or trippy.

(Also as the one with highest people skills and charisma and magic, it's pretty clearly my job to seduce our way out of any pirate entanglement)

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Team Not Illegal In the Countries It Was Filmed got our first start.

Kobolds were killed.

Exp was earned.

RP was done!

A good night for all!(Except the kobolds)

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2014
    I gotta be honest

Killing those pirates was fun, but even better was getting their sole surviving buddy to fish the bodies out of the water for us so we wouldn't have to worry about this shit making the news

Rear Admiral Choco on
    edited May 2014
    Honestly the actual fight with all those pirates was pretty incredible too

I went all Barack O-bomb-ya on the mooks' asses with the drones while Aarseth sniped down the big targets

When a boat came to charge at us Dynagrip just shut it the fuck down out of practical range for the shit weapons they had on them and it was great

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn't even fire my gun though i sure grumbled about it a lot. matrix stuff is hard. hopefully i didn't forget everything for tonight.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I didn't even fire my gun though i sure grumbled about it a lot. matrix stuff is hard. hopefully i didn't forget everything for tonight.

If you are going to not fire your gun and you trust those jokers Choco and Aarseth enough to not leave your body lying around in a firefight, going full-VR and taking the massive initiative boost is a good idea

fuck gendered marketing
    Elldren wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

If you are going to not fire your gun and you trust those jokers Choco and Aarseth enough to not leave your body lying around in a firefight, going full-VR and taking the massive initiative boost is a good idea

And it makes it easier to hack the enemy's PAN. A Decker's gun is pretty ornamental. The Street Samurai's gun isn't. So why use yours when you can use his?

I gotta be honest

Killing those pirates was fun, but even better was getting their sole surviving buddy to fish the bodies out of the water for us so we wouldn't have to worry about this shit making the news

I greatly enjoyed convincing him that that was in his best interest.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    ku-xlarge.jpg

EDIT: Wrong thread! But I'll keep it here.

RMS Oceanic on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    wait, what thread was that supposed to go to?

I wanna go to that thread

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I'm not sure how they managed to do it but it really, really seems like Roll20 has found a way to determine whether a roll is offensive or defensive and massively favor the offensive ones.

It's really amped up how ludicrously lethal Shadowrun combat already is.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Seriously, the dice rolls made us all look like glass cannons.

Although I had great fun intercepting that call.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    I nearly knocked myself out on my first spellcasting roll.

I was flicking through the rulebook trying to find rules for throwing a heavy object at someone. I found some tantalising hints involving using strength as a damage value but that's all.

Team Islam is the Light has completed their third session, in which:

I realize that, in Cesca's character, I have created a monster. Just plugging fools left and right.
    Carrot cons a bunch of racist thugs into thinking a SWAT team is about to kill all of them.
    Japan mind controls a racist thug and makes him sing nursery rhymes.
    RMS Oceanic goes full Baba Booey.

edited May 2014
    japan wrote: »
    I nearly knocked myself out on my first spellcasting roll.

I was flicking through the rulebook trying to find rules for throwing a heavy object at someone. I found some tantalising hints involving using strength as a damage value but that's all.

@japan Fling, P 293. Still wouldn't have enabled you to toss that bigass metal desk around, though.

Edit: Alternately I guess you could have animated the desk and had it charge the people behind it, which I'd have had to figure out some kind of improvised damage on.

Salvation122 on