As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Pack Rat Fever (BOTG Sealed League, see pg 20)

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    cept scrylands in aggro decks are bad and you want to play as close to 0 as possible because mana confluence/shock/mountains should be your red sources

turn 4 reckoners are also bad in the format of black removal central. I would rather play a warcaller if I dropped a t3 rage

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ah bugger, I forgot about confluence.

That kind of moves any deck out of affordable territory, for me at least.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    well yes but that implies a tapped land every turn

i dunno i never had an issue casting a reckoner when i was playing minotaurs, is what im saying

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    DO NOTE it is a fucking bad deck competetively

if im playing a reckoner post ragemonger id rather just play something bomby-er like warcaller

7yh4xczljsym.png
    lordy Mana Confluence is going to be the best card in standard for a while aint it

edited April 2014
    I mean yes its bad but I think you can get pretty close, and I dont think reckoner is gonna be how it does that/he might be sb material

in the limited window it has to smash you and glut of 3 drops it has available hes the slowest, shittiest one in monoblack the format while also sometimes being weird to cast when now you must skew more toward having black early for scarhide, which is not something you had to worry about casting on curve before btw

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    The other super awkward thing about that deck is that every single good minotaur is a 3 drop, every single one

lord and the one that gets +2/+0 and haste and ragemonger are all better maindeck cards than reckoner imo given the need for early black on scarhide and that hes pretty ineffective atm unless big green doods comes back in force somehow

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I mean yes its bad but I think you can get pretty close, and I dont think reckoner is gonna be how it does that/he might be sb material

in the limited window it has to smash you and glut of 3 drops it has available hes the slowest, shittiest one in monoblack the format while also sometimes being weird to cast when now you must skew more toward having black early for scarhide, which is not something you had to worry about casting on curve before btw

In a related topic, I've never seen aethervial in standard and its never seemed anything more then good in modern. Is it one of those things where its ok in modern but if you reprinted it Standard would explode?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Big Green Dudes is kind of a thing in my ~local meta~ so reckoner was aces then, especially when for whatever reason no one wants to run nylea

i think they always forget that nylea turns reckoner off for the most part

edited April 2014
    aether vial was also printed in a block that arguably was a list of long running mistakes to have printed

something like that will probably never exist again

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited April 2014
    The Betman wrote: »
    Big Green Dudes is kind of a thing in my ~local meta~ so reckoner was aces then, especially when for whatever reason no one wants to run nylea

right but you also didnt need to worry about t1 black mana for scarhide (who you cant not play x4), this is the part that will change your mana a little and make him harder to get out, imo

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png

right but you also didnt need to worry about t1 black mana for scarhide (who you cant not play x4), this is the part that will change your mana a little and make him harder to get out, imo

No doubt, no doubt

I'd have to look at what the Minotaur deck wants to be now. I played it for a couple weeks at my FNM, got tired of losing, then went back to my red devo list. The inclusion of a B-drop Minotaur is super interesting, but the shitter is that deck absolutely needs as many dual lands as it can get to be effective

aether vial was also printed in a block that arguably was a list of long running mistakes to have printed

something like that will probably never exist again

Sorry I'm not certain what you are saying.

Are you saying that Aether vial was one of those mistake and will never be reprinted?

Or that the meta that existed at the same time Aether vial was printed was the product of a lot of other things that probably won't be relevant were it to be reprinted.

Quire.jpg
    Aether Vial is incredible, but it was printed at a time where there were so many other better broken cards that it was ignored during its standard is what i THINK he's saying

It really is an incredible card

edited April 2014
    if the one drop was red this would be a nonissue and black would be the splash

but now one has to do it the other way around and x4 confluence is probably going to be required as well which might be a bitch

once I 100% foil it out though im probably playing the deck

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    Aether Vial is incredible, but it was printed at a time where there were so many other better broken cards that it was ignored during its standard is what i THINK he's saying

It really is an incredible card

I thought it was nuts when I first saw it but I think it creates enough restrictions to deck building that maybe it might not be busted.

I don't know, like I said I've never seen it in action outside a format where Birthing Pod doesn't exist.

Quire.jpg
    edited April 2014
    im saying that mirrodin block was batshit insane on a level that would make zendikar jealous and it probably shouldnt have existed in the first place let alone get a reprint

things like affinity in general, artifact lands, chrome mox, etc were all pretty questionable imo. whenever we go to this place its like R&D gets really drunk before every sitdown

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    Well dang.

Quire.jpg
    edited April 2014
    if aether vial was like the mutavault of m15 or something it would be x4 in literally every aggressive creature deck which would probably be kings again for their ability to end of turn vial a dude around your verdict/sphere/whatever

it alone makes allies better than merfolk in modern

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    if aether vial was like the mutavault of m15 or something it would be x4 in literally every aggressive creature deck which would probably be kings again for their ability to end of turn vial a dude around your verdict/sphere/whatever

it alone makes allies better than merfolk in modern

Is there an allies deck in modern? I've never seen it.

Yeah honestly that's what I was thinking. I was thinking about what M15 could reprint to help Heroes or minotaurs go off but then I think Heroes may have gotten enough goodies in JOU.

Quire.jpg
    edited April 2014
    modern allies is basically a deck of 2 mana dudes that grow each other and some 1 mana dudes that do the same shit and some paths/bolts/vials

you basically cannot lose a game that you see vial in though. its like playing lords that killing the "lord" doesnt do anything

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I've been trying to brew around Tymaret.

Man, what an awesome looking card, with a pretty bad ability. 2 mana and a creature for 2 damage to the dome is lame. Either you're paying 2-4 mana to generate a token to activate the ability without ruining your board state, or you're using something like Tenacious Dead which makes it 4 mana for 2 damage.

So lame! I want to make a "Gold Faced Killers" deck...

edited April 2014
    tymaret gets played in modern vengevine decks as a 1 of

which is hilarious

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So I was thinking about the 'hints' for Huey in JOU

- I've seen a couple people point to the number of graveyard interactions as a suggestion that Huey has a graveyard theme. That would seem... unlikely to me. Wasn't Innistrad a Graveyard block? That wasnt that long ago . Seems odd to go back to that well so soon. But those cards do exist, so it's a possibility

- I've noticed we have a couple cards that generate multiple token creatures (Rise of Eagles, Flurry of Horns, Revel of the Fallen God). It could be that Huey has a token subtheme or at least a theme of going 'wide' with multiple creatures. Strive could play well with that too. From a Limited perspective it makes sense as a change of pace, since Theros block was more about 'voltron'ing up single massive threats. This would allow Huey to feel very different in Limited. (Also fits with 'warlords of khanar' name).

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    What was in dragon's maze that hinted towards theros?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    There's a lot of different degrees of "graveyard matters". Theros is clearly not based on that, but still has enough mechanics to allow both a Reanimator deck and a Dredge deck.

I agree it's very unlikely that Huey block will be graveyard matters to the degree that Innistrad was, but it could push the sub theme that was established by Theros.

There is an article about how often wizards feels they can revisit the same theme. I think the concluding was three blocks away for normal but you can do two once and awhile.

I think wizards is sort of in an awkward place with reanimator. I doubt they want to to it as often as they do but I think they want some form of combo to be viable to push standard certain ways. Obviously they don't want "real" combo so they are left needing to support burn and reanimator more then maybe they'd like.

Quire.jpg
    Wife wanted to crack a box of BNG.

First pack was a foil Mogis.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    tugga wrote: »
    What was in dragon's maze that hinted towards theros?

Actually the entirety of Return to Ravnica benefited Theros.

Think about it. A block with a strong Hybrid and Dual-color theme right before The Gods and Devotion became a thing?

In addition to that, there were a number of cards that were useful to a deck built around enchantments or an enchantment sub-theme. Sphere of Safety, Ethereal Armor, Merciless Eviction, Treasury Thrull, and smaller things like Hidden Strings, Ral Zarek, and Trait Doctoring having very specific interactions with the God cards and Theros in general.

What you kind of have to ask is, what cards don't really seem to work or need additional help outside of the current standard?

Block-to-Block is very considered and planned out to maximize fun interactions (and selling power) and post-Theros will be no different.

• ScisScis Registered User regular
    I don't know if it would make sense with what little we know of Tarkir's lore, but I'm hoping next block has a tribal theme. It would probably be interesting with devotion and might make it so devotion decks actually make thematic sense. Would also make sense with the rumours of Nissa being in the next core set.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think we definitely see nissa either in m15 or tarkir block, but i really hope she's a bit less tribal

liEt3nH.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I could see Artifacts making a splash , if mostly for a lore reason. Once you kill all the gods, you've got some archaeology to do!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in another Tribal block as long as it's tribes we haven't had in a while.

Human and zombie tribal again would be boring as shit. Lets get some new ones.

X22wmuF.jpg
    but but but

zombies are my faaaaavorite

working on gb zombies for modern actually

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    If we're talking Tribal... maybe Giants as a tribe? I feel like there's been a bunch in Theros block.

I would love Chimera tribal. Because so many of the Chimeras have been awesome in Theros block and I want an excuse to play them.

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    My roommate mentioned Returned tribal awhile back

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Aren't they just Zombies?

That's just the theme of zombies in Theros block, I think you could do "Returned", but the deck would be all over the place. I've been looking at it, it's not very cohesive or strong.

This discussion has been closed.