As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help the First time to PAX East thread - What did you learn this year?

124»

• Options
    ChoujicosplayerChoujicosplayer Cape Cod, MARegistered User regular
    This will be my first time going to Pax East. Normally i can only afford Anime Boston each year but i worked 3 jobs this summer and decided to spend my savings on going this year. Not really sure what to expect and hope to make friends while there since ill be attending alone.

Get some cookies, so you can eat 'em and grow up big and strong and kick Piston in the butt-butt.
  • Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Well welcome I am sure you will have a great time.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    Alab4sterAlab4ster Boston, MARegistered User new member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but THERE IS A BAR IN THE CONVENTION CENTER. Didnt know that two years ago, made it all the better last year.

All the good beer was gone by Saturday too. Kicked those kegs on day 1! My group of friends and I spend a fair amount of downtime at the bar/food court - it's like a holiday tradition. I also highly recommend Uber or Lyft if you don't want to use a cab or the T, though this year the T is supposed to start running later on the weekends.

• Options
    AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I am not sure if anyone has suggested this as far as food and travel items go, but I have been planning things to take and ways to not blow a few hundred bucks on eating out every meal every day like last time I went. 5 star hotels charge you out the butt for breakfast... =/ And well I want to spend more money on items at the convention than on what I eat. So I no longer drink soda in order to get healthier and I thought buying tons of waters while there would be a pain in the butt too. So I picked up these neat Brita filter bottles that you can fill up with water and ice and as you drink it, it filters water for you. I know you are like, "WHAAAAT". Mind blown huh? Ha just kidding its not that impressive of an idea. I also got a food saver for christmas... yea tots an old woman gift... But I am making and sealing all our meals and heating them up when I get there. Bam am I a winner or what. I also made snacks including beef jerky in my dehydrator. I am good to go. =)

I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
  • Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    could i possibly buy some beef jerky off of you during the event? lol i love the homemade stuff....i too am planning on bringing as much of my own food as possible to lower the cost of spending.canned goods and homemade meals.

• Options
    jforjamtasticjforjamtastic Registered User regular
    As someone else has mentioned earlier the MBTA is doing a late night pilot program start sometime in March or April, bostonglobe.com/business/2013/12/03/late-service-tried-weekends/aDRZyLIcT3dr8ReBa33qwN/story.html . Could be a boon to all you party animals if it launches by Pax

Q8eJiP4.png
  • Options
    BUBBApaxBUBBApax iLLusionist Boston MARegistered User regular
    Alab4ster wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but THERE IS A BAR IN THE CONVENTION CENTER. Didnt know that two years ago, made it all the better last year.

All the good beer was gone by Saturday too. Kicked those kegs on day 1! My group of friends and I spend a fair amount of downtime at the bar/food court - it's like a holiday tradition. I also highly recommend Uber or Lyft if you don't want to use a cab or the T, though this year the T is supposed to start running later on the weekends.

I had no idea there was a bar inside the convention center when I went last year, I didn't bring an ID and there was so much Sam Adams on tap :P I'll be sure to be prepared to have a few pints this year!

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Yeah we only found out that food/bar area existed in our second year going, more choice than the one in the queue room which was $5 for a slice of pizza, in 2012 anyway.

The one thing I always get first thing Friday is one of the breakfast sandwiches which is on the left as you go in to the front entrance, they might have them elsewhere too, but they are pretty amazing.

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    AnnaRoyalAnnaRoyal North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    could i possibly buy some beef jerky off of you during the event? lol i love the homemade stuff....i too am planning on bringing as much of my own food as possible to lower the cost of spending.canned goods and homemade meals.

If you see me around I might give you some. Ill be cosplaying as Raven from Teen Titans.

I love Tacos.
    WoW: BanAnnaPi#1341
    Steam: BanAnnaPie
    Origin: BanAnnaPie
    3DS Friend Code: 3840 - 6540 - 5643
    https://twitter.com/xAnnasaurusx
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    AnnaRoyal wrote: »
    I am not sure if anyone has suggested this as far as food and travel items go, but I have been planning things to take and ways to not blow a few hundred bucks on eating out every meal every day like last time I went. 5 star hotels charge you out the butt for breakfast... =/ And well I want to spend more money on items at the convention than on what I eat. So I no longer drink soda in order to get healthier and I thought buying tons of waters while there would be a pain in the butt too. So I picked up these neat Brita filter bottles that you can fill up with water and ice and as you drink it, it filters water for you. I know you are like, "WHAAAAT". Mind blown huh? Ha just kidding its not that impressive of an idea. I also got a food saver for christmas... yea tots an old woman gift... But I am making and sealing all our meals and heating them up when I get there. Bam am I a winner or what. I also made snacks including beef jerky in my dehydrator. I am good to go. =)

Absolutely! Bringing along a few snacks for this trip is a great way to save money and keep yourself well fed and energized. The more nutritious the better because you will be walking/standing up most of the day.

As far as I am concerned, carrying water bottle with you is high up there on my list of tips, right next to making sure you have a good pair of shoes. I've seen these water filtering bottles at the store. I may grab one for myself eventually, but the fountain water was totally okay for me whenever I used it. Fountains are located in several places around the even, usually next to wherever you will find a bathroom.

The food is indeed very pricey if you decide to grab something at the event itself, so you may indeed want to look at your options when comes the time to eat a good meal. MJ O'Connors, which is located in the Westin, has decently priced and very tasty food. You can also check out GrubHub and Foodler, they both delivered to the Westin last time I tried them and we ended up with some great meals for cheap. I definitely plan on using these services again this year.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    First time this year, Friday the wife and baby will be coming... think it's just easier for us to drive and park at the center? Staying at the omni. Not sure how far a walk it is (cabs don't have car seats lol). Or T?

• Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    Parking at the BCEC is limited, so you will want to arrive early lest you end up at the offsite parking. Don't forget the cost of parking both at your hotel and the BCEC--it could add up to $50 a day between then (I'm figuring $35-$40 for the hotel and $10-$15 for the BCEC)! You will need to bring a baby seat or request the cab be equipped with one in MA as it is not legal in a taxi for children to be without a child seat. The Omni had a shuttle last year. That will probably be the most flexible way for you to travel, as generally you don't need a baby seat on a bus (I wouldn't put it past MA to think differently, though, since most places don't require them for cabs, either). Shuttles run regularly between 8 am and 11 am; and also 5 pm to 8 pm. They also run for the concerts (12a-3a) but I can't imagine bringing a baby to the concert, they are extremely loud. I wouldn't bother with the T considering there's going to be shuttles running for you.

Make sure you bring a stroller and a way to carry your baby comfortably. The BCEC is incredibly long and there is no way you will want to carry a child around the entire place, though you have no choice but to do so within the expo hall (for good reason--the crowding levels are extreme--strollers are not permitted there). Panels expect quiet so consider that if you are planning to bring your baby there if she's fussy you may wish to have a parent with the child in the Expo Hall and another at the panel.

Don't forget the baby bag. There are water fountains if you're using powdered formula. I can't recall if there's change stations in the washrooms, but the upstairs washrooms are quiet enough it would not be an issue. You will not find any baby supplies at the BCEC nor within walking distance so bring everything needed that day.

PAX is extremely noisy and very crowded. You'll need to figure out an area to give your baby some breathing room should she get upset about that. Again, the upper floors are a good choice as there is typically not much activity there. It may also be a good place to breastfeed as elsewhere you're likely to end up being mistakenly shoved.

• Options
    earendil87earendil87 Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's been asked before but how cold/hot is it usually inside the BCEC? I've read that it can be really cold outside but that it's very crowded inside... I was thinking of bringing a sleeveless cosplay costume but if I'm gonna freeze even inside the BCEC I'd rather not take it.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I find that it is usually very comfortable inside the BCEC. Maybe a little bit warm on the expo floor. Others may find it to be less warm than I find it though, since I am essentially a walking furnace. I don't think you'll be freezing, but that's so subjective.

• Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    You should be fine inside. Outside is a toss up. On the water in Boston during April can get pretty nippy especially as the Sun is going down but inside will be toasty. My usual routine is bring a sweatshirt, take off when i get there, put on to go out for smoke, take off when i go back in, then fuck it too much hassle when i go back out. Chilly but never freezing.

• Options
    upstateny-danupstateny-dan Registered User regular
    shepd wrote: »
    Parking at the BCEC is limited, so you will want to arrive early lest you end up at the offsite parking. Don't forget the cost of parking both at your hotel and the BCEC--it could add up to $50 a day between then (I'm figuring $35-$40 for the hotel and $10-$15 for the BCEC)! You will need to bring a baby seat or request the cab be equipped with one in MA as it is not legal in a taxi for children to be without a child seat. The Omni had a shuttle last year. That will probably be the most flexible way for you to travel, as generally you don't need a baby seat on a bus (I wouldn't put it past MA to think differently, though, since most places don't require them for cabs, either). Shuttles run regularly between 8 am and 11 am; and also 5 pm to 8 pm. They also run for the concerts (12a-3a) but I can't imagine bringing a baby to the concert, they are extremely loud. I wouldn't bother with the T considering there's going to be shuttles running for you.

Make sure you bring a stroller and a way to carry your baby comfortably. The BCEC is incredibly long and there is no way you will want to carry a child around the entire place, though you have no choice but to do so within the expo hall (for good reason--the crowding levels are extreme--strollers are not permitted there). Panels expect quiet so consider that if you are planning to bring your baby there if she's fussy you may wish to have a parent with the child in the Expo Hall and another at the panel.

Don't forget the baby bag. There are water fountains if you're using powdered formula. I can't recall if there's change stations in the washrooms, but the upstairs washrooms are quiet enough it would not be an issue. You will not find any baby supplies at the BCEC nor within walking distance so bring everything needed that day.

PAX is extremely noisy and very crowded. You'll need to figure out an area to give your baby some breathing room should she get upset about that. Again, the upper floors are a good choice as there is typically not much activity there. It may also be a good place to breastfeed as elsewhere you're likely to end up being mistakenly shoved.

Thanks for the tips! Luckily our girl is Social maniac and loves crowds haha. I think I will be rocking a baby bjorn. I hope the shuttles won't require baby seat.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    This is the flip side of the First time to PAX East thread. Is there anything you learned? Is there anything you want to make sure you will remember for your next trip?

Post PAX Depression - Staying until Monday really helped me to avoid the initial shock of the event's end. Playing games on Sunday night at the Westin was a great send off to a great weekend. Must do again.

Bag checks - If bag checks are a thing now, I may want to trade in my Bag of Holding for something else.

Event hours - If I want to play a big, complicated board game in the tabletop arena, it would be best if I was already sitting down and ready to go by 8 pm.

Food - If I plan on ordering out again, I need to do my homework in advance, know my meal options and know where to order from. Using the "Best Bet" feature is not safe. Having an active account and all necessary apps in advance is a must. You can also order ahead of time, but you should only do that if you are sure that you will be back at your hotel room on time. Do yourself a favor and eat out at least once during the weekend, and while you're at it, get yourself a some Boston Creme Pie damn it.

Hotels - The Omni Parker House has paper thin walls. Think of your neighbors at all times.

Sleeping - Roomies who snore and/or neighboring rooms who are loud are never a problem if you have ear plugs. One of the most underestimated yet most life saving things we brought.

Swag and Business cards - I had a lot more fun doing my PAX homework because I only picked up things that actually interested me. My bag was only filled with things I knew I wanted to check out once I was back home. Also, remember to Green Light / Back that stuff you actually liked.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    TonkafriendTonkafriend Registered User regular
    This was the first year we stayed outside Copley Square, in Waltham. I figure we saved at least $200 a night between not paying those high room rates, with WiFi charges and parking added on. It was super easy to drive to the BCEC (even on Friday). With what we were saving, we could justify the valet parking, which was incredibly
    convenient, and our room was super-nice!

One thing I always forget from one Pax to the next is that you can spend lots of time strategizing your days, planning which booths to hit, etc, but it's the spontaneous, unplanned encounters that make Pax special, like meeting the devs of a game I'm backing, who I didn't expect to be there, and awesome conversations!

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    DO NOT EAT AT ROSA MEXICANO. Place is horrendous. Takes forever to be seated, food comes out luke warm (because it takes forever to come out), and it just isn't good food.

Bag checks were fine. Took two seconds out of your walk into the convention. Have your bag open and ready to not hold us bag check pros up.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    What I learned... there's really no reason to cram into the expo hall open line unless you are wanting to rush into a certain booth ASAP. I guess you could substitute lining up an hour or 2 early to get in for one of the other murderous lines, but I tend to skip the long-lined booths anyways. I preferred chilling until the main entrance opened, or lining up for a panel.

I stayed at the Hyatt Boston Harbor, next to the airport. I saved a LOT of money by doing this, but it was pretty inconvenient having to wait for a shuttle to the airport, just to have to wait again for a bus to take me to the BCEC. Taxi/Uber/Lyft aren't good options for Airport hotels because there's some stupid extra toll that gets charged to them. The hotel itself was top-notch, but the inconvenience wasn't worth it. I'd rather pay extra and grab something closer.

Pack lightly and make sure you have ample room in your luggage for the return trip! My suitcase was about to bust.

I had zero issues with the bag check. Compared to any given line in the expo hall, it was super fast.

dgiab0m7h15x.png