As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird Residue on D&D 40th Anniversary pin

MobiusDoppelgangerMobiusDoppelganger Registered User regular
Anyone else having an issue with a weird residue (possibly oxidation) on the surface of their D&D 40th Anniversary pin, I have a few of them and all of them are experiencing this same problem. They don't look shiny and gold anymore, it's like they have dirt rubbed on them that I can't clean off.

• Options
    FrostbyteFrostbyte Registered User regular
    when I first got mine, it looked kinda gross... but I just gave it a huff of hot air, and rubbed it with a soft cloth and it cleared right up.

• Options
    00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    The gold pins in general are much harder to clean. The same thing applies to Chandra 1. She is a very hard pin to get clean and 'shiny'.

• Options
    Konig WolfKonig Wolf Registered User regular
    My gold Pins have the same issue, especially one of the Aus Chandra 2 Pins I had for a while, and an extra East Chandra 1. I even see some of it on my D&D Pin. I have an extra Project Spark Pin that has already lost its luster too. I only have one Aus Chandra still in plastic wrap that looks pristine.

If the gold layered Pins are more prone to this issue, it should be brought up so maybe a change in the way they are manufactured happens or we stick to the black/silver Pins. It would be also nice to find out if there's anything we should know about how these types of Pins should be cared for, if we need to place them in a vacuum sealed display case for instance (maybe that's a bit extreme though). At the end of the day, it's probably up to the third parties (like Wizards of the Coast) what type of Pin they get produced since cost is likely a factor.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    I few good hot breaths and a microfiber cloth (the ones for cleaning electronics screens and such) should do wonders for the luster of those gold pins.

• Options
    I'm concerned that hot breath and a cloth will only restore the sheen temporarily, yet possibly cause more damage in the long run.

It's similar to blowing on a Nintendo game cartridge, while many people think this will fix the issue, it can end up causing corrosion/contamination down the road.

• Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone been game enough to try something like Brasso to clean them?

Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Brasso tends to only work on a bare metal. The pins have some kind of gloss on the front, not sure if it's enameled or just some kind of quick and dirty clear coat.

A good rule of thumb with anything that has a "coating" is to avoid even mild acids and strong bases. Unless there is a chip or major flaw in the pins glossed surface, I wouldn't see corrosion being an issue.

Qumaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Here are some videos of how some Pins are manufactured: https://www.youtube.com/user/jinsheu/videos

It's worth a look if you're interested in glimpsing into the way they are likely made, but not necessarily the exact same methods in which Pinny Arcade Pins are produced. For example, I couldn't tell you whether or not they get grinded, the smooth finish may suggest it. It also appears they use pad printing for details that aren't filled in with hard/soft enamel, and from what I've seen with how Pins can have this color/painting come off or be worn, it doesn't appear that they have any kind of gloss/clear coating. If they do, I'd guess an epoxy coating.

Certain Pins like the D&D one, and (East) Chandra 1, have more of the plating visible as part of the design (such as the middle part of the D&D between the yellow enamel and Chandra's goggles). Whether or not it's actual gold plating, brass, or what have you - honestly I have no idea which it may be - I agree that corrosion may or may not be too much of concern, especially since you may only be "polishing" them once and then placing them in a display to rarely be touched again. Still, I'd rather be careful and see if we can find out if there are perhaps better alternatives to maintaining the Pins' appearances before suggesting any particular method.

We know all Pinny Arcade Pins aren't made the same exact way too because you've got different types of plating. I've got an Ellie Pin that it damaged/worn with paint chipped off - I'll see if I can post a picture later. It'd be interesting to see more examples of damaged Pins if anyone has any they'd like to share. I may be overly concerned about these kinds of things though, and how everyone wants to take care of their own Pins is entirely up to each individual.

Konig Wolf on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I've never had any issues with pins. I've also never had the urge to clean them (because there is never anything wrong with them).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I've never had any issues with pins. I've also never had the urge to clean them (because there is never anything wrong with them).
    yeah, same. guess I've just been lucky so far.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'll add some questions about this into the FAQ. I can't say I have noticed the issue, but then again most of my Pins are still in the storage boxes until the frames arrive.

• Options
    I feel like every person on these forums PLAYS with their pins like a 3 year old with action figures and I'm over here like, "THEY ARE COLLECTIBLES! LEAVE THEM BE!" Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DuckieDuckie Squirrel Squad Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    @redfield85‌ my Chandra1 was a trade with Khoo and it has fingerprint tarnish marks from handling which I haven't been able to get off yet, when it comes to trading in person there's only so much you can do to leave them be unfortunately :(

Duckie on
    Pinny Pals Lanyard | I make things!!

[X]PAXsouth 2015
    [X]PAXaus 2015
    [?]PAXeast 2016 ???
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Is it anything like this?
    25isyvp.jpg

Sorry for the low quality photo :/

I noticed a bit of a tarnish on my lookouts pin. My D&D is still pretty shiny but I can see what you mean. That big mark on the sun in the lookouts logo seems like a thumbprint probably. Perhaps from the acid in our hands? We do tarnish things by touching them. I wonder if a silver or copper polish would help?

Anyway, I think this would probably be a quality control issue that perhaps one of the staff should know about, for future reference.

Keroan on
  • Options
    Do you all touch your pins THAT much? I get a pin, I store it in my carry bag. Then they either stay in there or get put in a frame.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    Yeah Keroan, some of mine tend to do that also.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!
  • Options
    I feel like every person on these forums PLAYS with their pins like a 3 year old with action figures and I'm over here like, "THEY ARE COLLECTIBLES! LEAVE THEM BE!" Haha.
    Do you all touch your pins THAT much? I get a pin, I store it in my carry bag. Then they either stay in there or get put in a frame.

Pins get traded, so they have been touched by multiple people. You don't necessarily know if the person who had the Pin before you washed their hands after they ate some greasy food or... went to the bathroom. If you're trading in person at a PAX people might ask to see your Pin and hold it before trading. I think the other individuals in this thread have legitimate concerns that they are looking to resolve, and we shouldn't treat that with scorn. Since you aren't having any issues with your own Pins then I'm happy for you, and I sincerely hope you never have any problems either.

Now that individual Pins don't come packaged with the plastic, this might become more of an issue for others with certain Pins because it increases the likelihood of some sort of tarnish occurring. If there is anyone who has experience with this issue, it would be wise for us to get their advice before someone goes and uses something that might strip paint or wear on the enamel.

If it is oxidization on the plating, then we should know how to properly care for that, whether it means careful polishing of only certain parts (not just wiping the entire Pin with a polishing agent and cloth), and maybe a surface coat will need to be applied if one isn't already or was degraded in spots. Since this is particularly an issue with the "gold" Pins it seems, we should find out what exact alloy/metal the outer plating on these Pins is, whether it's brass, bronze, or whatever. Going forward, that would help us in learning how to properly clean/restore a Pin.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    New FAQ goes out this Friday. Pin care questions will be on it.

• Options
    fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Having just got mine it does seem to hold fingerprints REAL GOOD.

• Options
    mightyh0bbesmightyh0bbes Subterranean Arcadian SeattleRegistered User regular
    If you don't already then you should probably start sanitizing your hands after pin trading. I just got grossed out a bit. PAX POX!

www.paxsignaturegenerator.com:8080/signature.png
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    The how to clean your pins question was answered by Brain in the latest PA Gazelle. Just a good, soft cotton cloth and cold water is what he recommends.