As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] Outfit designer is out now. Playable Togruta coming on 3.3, late July.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    anyway I played a bit more than I meant to yesterday afternoon, shooting guys with lightning again was fun

are there no pve set bonuses anymore? The healing sorc ones will be tough to give up

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    When someone in Cambiata's guild mentioned that there is a Smash spec, I immediately fell in love.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    When someone in Cambiata's guild mentioned that there is a Smash spec, I immediately fell in love.

Ha, that was me that mentioned it. Sorry, I have a lot of alts, I know it's hard to keep track. :)

Also talking about smash spec with you while doing an operation with The Hulk finally made me understand why that guy rolled as a sentinel.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Smash is civilization.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Demonstrate this "Smash" spec using this tool: http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Demonstrate this "Smash" spec using this tool: http://www.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/

This is how I do it on guardian dps though I don't know if it's the "official" smash spec or anything. after you get past the 3rd tier you just fill everything up anyway, doesn't take much thought.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Smash spec is great, youre like an energizer bunny of doom.

Cambiata's spec is how I leveled (and what Im currently using now) but I think this spec is a little better since most of your attacks are force attacks and therefore already have 100% accuracy.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

This is how I do it on guardian dps though I don't know if it's the "official" smash spec or anything. after you get past the 3rd tier you just fill everything up anyway, doesn't take much thought.

You buff Shii-Cho form and get Shien Form. I don't understand. :(

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    With Juggernaut/Guardian, the middle tree (Vengeance/Vigilance) uses Shien form, which is for doing single-target DPS. I haven't played this one much.

That's actually my favorite tree, so allow me. The middle tree is mostly a single target DPS tree but with a couple of defense pieces built in.

For damage, all three of your main attacks in the middle tree (Scream, Impale, and Shatter) do solid damage and apply a DOT effect, all of which stack with each other. This damage is expanded by two of the attacks (Impale and Savage) granting you a special stack called Rampage. At two stacks of Rampage, the cooldown on Ravage is finished and you generate 3 rage, allowing more attacks. You can also remove the Rage cost on Smash, making it a free attack, and get a chance to make Vicious Throw a free attack usable on targets outside of the normal 20% health limit.

Defense wise, you get Unstoppable, which gives you a 20% damage reduction and immunity to control effects for 4 seconds after Force Leap. You also get Deafening Defense, which gives you damage reduction all the time and then even more damage reduction when you use Enrage Defense.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options

You buff Shii-Cho form and get Shien Form. I don't understand. :(

Nah, no points go into Shien and you should be in Shii-Cho when smashing.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

Cambiata's spec is how I leveled (and what Im currently using now) but I think this spec is a little better since most of your attacks are force attacks and therefore already have 100% accuracy.

Ehhhhhh... maybe you mean Sentinel, but even on Sentinel a significant amount of damage comes from melee attacks - Master Strike/Ravage is one of your biggies, and you need melee 100% accuracy for that one. I debated myself whether to put the points in accuracy or just fill up the accuracy on my gear, but on balance I think it's always a good idea to spec into stats when they're available in the trees. If nothing else it means you can stack less of that stat on your gear, which in turn allows you to stack more of a better stat, like Strength or Power, making all your damage higher instead of just one skill. I haven't done any parsing on it though, guardian DPS is not my hard mode DPS.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Are player character interrupts resistable or otherwise affected by accuracy/defense?

• Options
    Are player character interrupts resistable or otherwise affected by accuracy/defense?

They are resistable somehow... occasionally an interrupt seems to 'miss', but I don't know if that's working as intended or if it's a bug.

• Options

They are resistable somehow... occasionally an interrupt seems to 'miss', but I don't know if that's working as intended or if it's a bug.

Yeah, that's why I asked.

"What's that? Interrupt my Artillery? Pffft. Rules are for players, peasant."

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Well there are also just mobs that are uninterruptable or have specific skills that you cannot interrupt. The annoyance is when a normally interruptable mob ignores your interrupt.

Then there are those mobs that can interrupt you.

Which, annoying as they are, should really be used more in operations instead of just random mobs in daily areas.

Cambiata on
  • Options

Ehhhhhh... maybe you mean Sentinel, but even on Sentinel a significant amount of damage comes from melee attacks - Master Strike/Ravage is one of your biggies, and you need melee 100% accuracy for that one. I debated myself whether to put the points in accuracy or just fill up the accuracy on my gear, but on balance I think it's always a good idea to spec into stats when they're available in the trees. If nothing else it means you can stack less of that stat on your gear, which in turn allows you to stack more of a better stat, like Strength or Power, making all your damage higher instead of just one skill. I haven't done any parsing on it though, guardian DPS is not my hard mode DPS.

Yeah, thats basically the rationale I use to justify keeping my build the way it is (same as the one you linked) but the lizard part of my brain sees 10% more damage and says do eeet.

• Options
    Here's the update on Escrow Transfers.

On one server:
    50k for 40k
    150k for as low as 75k up to 100k
    600k for 300k

On another server:
    150k for 125k
    600k for 250k

• Options
    Yesterday on Shadowlands it was 400k for a 600k.

Today that dude was apparently (rightly) laughed off the market, and I saw 600ks going for anything between 200k and 250k.

• Options
    kmzkmz Registered User regular
    I haven't played right tree as either Juggernaut/Guardian or Marauder/Sentinel much, and from what I understand they recently did a minor nerf to Smash/Sweep--apparently it doesn't do critical damage to any target but the primary anymore--but it's still very good, and notably Rage/Focus for both Juggernaut/Guardian and Marauder/Sentinel have long been known as "lolsmash" for ease of use.

The nerf was only partial. It still does crits against strong and lower opponents, it just doesn't do crits against elites and enemy players, if they are not focused. So still works just as great for leveling as ever.

I'm pretty sure PVE damage wasn't affected at all by 2.7, it doesn't matter whether the NPC is an elite or not. The only Smash change for PVE is that you do have to have a primary target to activate it, unlike before when you could just smash/sweep wherever.

More specifically, the PVP damage change in 2.7 is that non-primary targets in PVP aren't affected by the smash autocrit granted after a leap as well as the 100% damage buff given by stacks of Singularity.

Most Ops bosses have 8-10% defense, so you generally want 100% melee/ranged Acc/110% force/tech Acc. Not that smash spec is really used in raids anyway, but.

• Options
    Ran out of dailies to do on the character I'm working getting basic comms on so I figured I might as well finish the macrobinocular/seeker droid questline on that one.

IR-77's ambush needs to be rescaled the same way the instances do, specifically how often he can knock and stun. Why? Because he knocked me out of range of his own leash.

• Options
    After a lot of consideration I think the Marauder / Sentinel is not for me. It's too much of a clusterfuck of abilities on a point-build combat system. Screw that.

On the bright side I'm smiling looking at the Juggernaut / Guardian builds. I've always liked single sabers in Star Wars. Anything other than that seemed excessive. Always played single-saber in KotOR and KotOR 2.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Kinda wish you could try out the different specializations for a couple of levels before committing to one. Maybe 5-7 levels or so. Just enough to see how different they are without needing to replay the starter planet.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    When my Powertech starts getting to spend elite commendations I'm going to have to spend so many credits on top of them...

There's not a single piece of 168 BH gear that I think looks good. Not one.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    My Juggy is a Venge build.

I tried Smash but I just couldn't get my rhythm with it. The thing with the Veng build is if you get your rhythm watching the saber movements is hypnotic and they all kind of meld into one dance of death it is pretty great.

Also it is fun blowing up nerds in pvp. Though I am now at the top end of the 30-54 who thought this was a good idea bracket.

I don't know why but smash build just seems less fun to watch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    kmz wrote: »

Most Ops bosses have 8-10% defense, so you generally want 100% melee/ranged Acc/110% force/tech Acc. Not that smash spec is really used in raids anyway, but.

Yeah it's used in raids, even by Sentinels.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Polished off my Makeb and Oricon rep today. Didn't even have to complete a single daily for Makeb; I'd just stockpiled that many rep items from the past week. And now my Assassin gets to go around calling himself Dread Executioner.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    My problem with the bleed/heal tree is that it suffers from a problem WoW had (and solved with Cataclysm): the tree's stand-out benefit isn't really felt unless you're damn near maxed in it. Until then it's just kind of a joke.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; this game could do with a Cataclysm style revamp of the talent trees.
    this is the case with a lot of skill trees in swtor

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    so, what do you get out of these seeker droid missions?

and are they as obnoxious as the whole finding HK parts routine?

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014

IIRC the macrobinoc/seeker droid questlines hand out lvl52 gear along the way, plus after the heroics you get the related widgets as full-on abilities rather than mission items.
    :edit: and of course title unlocks if you care about those.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options

Also basic comms, if you've run out of dailies and weeklies to do.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So this friend referral thing just gave me a bunch of character unlocks.

Unlocks I already bought with credits off the market :(

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Mail them to people.

So I'm looking down the pipeline as I level my Juggernaut more. The DPS tree (the middle one) comes across to me that building rage counters for skill use isn't going to be a problem. Smash becomes free, abilities will refund one of their cost, sundering armor will get me a few points, and I'll get 3 from ravaging later on. So like... yeah. I can see it becoming pretty bad ass.

I mentioned how I love single-sabers as a concept in Star Wars right? That double-blades and dual-wielding are just huge compensations?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Mail them to people.

So I'm looking down the pipeline as I level my Juggernaut more. The DPS tree (the middle one) comes across to me that building rage counters for skill use isn't going to be a problem. Smash becomes free, abilities will refund one of their cost, sundering armor will get me a few points, and I'll get 3 from ravaging later on. So like... yeah. I can see it becoming pretty bad ass.

I mentioned how I love single-sabers as a concept in Star Wars right? That double-blades and dual-wielding are just huge compensations?

They are bound unfortunately (or else it would have been really easy to abuse)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    they're bound, unfortunately. Also they seem to get mailed to all your characters which was sort of funny (although you do get a free inventory row out of it.)

I tried to do a seeker droid thing and maybe I misunderstood how it works, but the indicator kept leading me back and forth over the same spot. Also it took kind of an obnoxiously long time to scan, so I quit after a little while.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    they're bound, unfortunately. Also they seem to get mailed to all your characters which was sort of funny (although you do get a free inventory row out of it.)

I tried to do a seeker droid thing and maybe I misunderstood how it works, but the indicator kept leading me back and forth over the same spot. Also it took kind of an obnoxiously long time to scan, so I quit after a little while.

Nope! Not misunderstanding it at all. Holy shit the Seeker Droid story quests are infuriating, and I swear the indicator lies to you.

That said, you don't have to complete the questline to get the dailies from the GSI terminals on Tatooine, Alderaan, Hoth, and Makeb, and the dailies are generally pretty easy.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Nope! Not misunderstanding it at all. Holy shit the Seeker Droid story quests are infuriating, and I swear the indicator lies to you.

That said, you don't have to complete the questline to get the dailies from the GSI terminals on Tatooine, Alderaan, Hoth, and Makeb, and the dailies are generally pretty easy.

Plus the dailies have a visual indicator. Sometimes it's on the ground, some times it's up on the side of a building, but you're not scanning randomly. Just find marker, dig, get item, repeat.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    anyway I played a bit more than I meant to yesterday afternoon, shooting guys with lightning again was fun

are there no pve set bonuses anymore? The healing sorc ones will be tough to give up

I think there are PVE set bonuses--the Dread-Forged gear. In the area where you buy the classic, basic, elite, and ultimate gear, there's a couple of guys up against the back wall in red and gold versions of the ultimate gear. At least some of the stuff these guys give have set bonuses--mechanically I think there are versions of basic, elite, and ultimate--but I think you can only get them in exchange for drops you only get from operations bosses?

EDIT: God dammit. Has anyone else had the giant red thranta just not show up some days for Big Red? I just finished checking every location twice and it wasn't there. And it happened to me last week, too, on a different toon (but same server and still Empire-side).

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I think there are PVE set bonuses--the Dread-Forged gear. In the area where you buy the classic, basic, elite, and ultimate gear, there's a couple of guys up against the back wall in red and gold versions of the ultimate gear. At least some of the stuff these guys give have set bonuses--mechanically I think there are versions of basic, elite, and ultimate--but I think you can only get them in exchange for drops you only get from operations bosses?

EDIT: God dammit. Has anyone else had the giant red thranta just not show up some days for Big Red? I just finished checking every location twice and it wasn't there. And it happened to me last week, too, on a different toon (but same server and still Empire-side).

Yeah I don't bother with the red thranta mission because I had the same problem. I do my GSI stuff on Makeb only, those are all easy and quick to get to.

Cambiata on
  • Options

You don't have to complete the seeker missions to get the GSI stuff. You only have to start the seeker missions to have the GSI stuff open up.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Yeah, for the dread seeds and the random goodie areas, the indicator following is a pain. If you don't use any of the consumables, it gives you a 180 degree arc in which the goodie is. The consumables narrow the arc, making it easier to triangulate, but generally the best approach is to just adjust your scan point a few feet each time.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt