As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help regarding a "HDMI no signal" error

dexterdexter Registered User regular
Hi PA, let me know if this belongs in H/A and I'll change it.

Let's go back 8 months:
While playing any game (steam game or non-steam game) my monitor would go blue and claim "DVI no signal" and then go into sleep mode (and not be awoken until I restart the computer). The game would freeze and I would get that dreadful infinite sound loop. I try all sorts of things, a new monitor and even reformatting my computer. Then I decided to switch out my DVI cable for an HDMI cable. Now instead of the game freezing and my monitor going into sleep mode the game would simply crash and take me back to desktop. I do some google searching and work out that all this time nvidia experience was "optimizing" my games video settings to high and very high hence causing the crashing. I fix this and the problem goes away.

Now we're back in the present and the issue is occuring again, only I don't get the game crashing, I get the same issue as the very start: "HDMI no signal" and then infinite sound loop and monitor on sleep mode. Now it's even happening when I don't play games, when I'm just surfing the net or watching VLC player or working in matlab or MS Word.

The weird thing is that if I'm not playing a game and when the monitor dies, everything is still running in the background. I can hear my friends still talking over mumble, and they can hear me when I transmit. I can still hear my video or music playing in the background too. The only way to get the screen back on is to restart.

Sometimes even when I restart, just before I get to the windows log in window I get the same no signal issue. It's seemingly completely random. I even took my tower to a store and had a professional check it out and do a "PC check" and clean her out with compressed air.

Any ideas what on earth this could be? It's extremely frustrating, especially when you add in risk of losing important work.

Here are my details:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
intel i5-2500K
8 GB of RAM
GeForce GTX 560 Ti

and let me know if you need anymore information.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post, absolutely any help at all would be fantastic.

3694663-1.png

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like your graphics card is dying to me. That model is getting long in the tooth anyhow, so, time for an upgrade baby!

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Yes, it also sounds to me like your graphics card is just dying. Have you noticed any screen tearing or anything that might indicate that it's a heat problem? You can try taking the card out and blowing some compressed air through the heatsink - if it is dusty that could be causing heat issues. But the fact that it happens all the time makes me think the card is just approaching death or there is a contact problem with the PCI slot or the HDMI port or something like that.

Otherwise, see if you can RMA the card through the manufacturer. If you decide to replace, a GTX 760 is the minimum I would say you should go for for a noticeable upgrade - that's ~$250.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey thanks you two, I really appreciate your comments. My friend suggested it could be the graphics card too, I'll be heading over to his sometime in the next week or two to do some testing and see what's up. I'll try giving her another clean. All the cables are collected very neatly and I believe air flows relatively well + I try to dust her often too.

Regarding "contact problem with the PCI slot", how would I experiment with this? Will replacing the GPU fix this, or is it a problem with case? The issue occurred with a DVI cable and an HDMI, so it's likely not the cable.

3694663-1.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    The "DVI/HDMI no signal" means your monitor is not detecting any input from the cable (or nothing legit). Given the other issues you're having it's probably the video card. However I've had the "no signal" message be just a bad cable, but I wasn't having your other issues (sound issues, game crashing).

• Options
    dexter wrote: »
    Hey thanks you two, I really appreciate your comments. My friend suggested it could be the graphics card too, I'll be heading over to his sometime in the next week or two to do some testing and see what's up. I'll try giving her another clean. All the cables are collected very neatly and I believe air flows relatively well + I try to dust her often too.

Regarding "contact problem with the PCI slot", how would I experiment with this? Will replacing the GPU fix this, or is it a problem with case? The issue occurred with a DVI cable and an HDMI, so it's likely not the cable.

Depends. The part of the card that goes in the slot could have an issue. Or the slot itself could have an issue, so replacing the GPU probably wouldn't fix that. I would try with a different GPU and see if you can replicate the issue. What's your motherboard?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I'm going over to a friends in a couple of days to try out another GPU and see if I can replicate the problem. The motherboard I'm currently using is MSI military class II P67A-GD65. What exactly might be the problem with the PCI slot? Is the slot just the hole? Is it purely a problem with the case?

3694663-1.png
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice, guys. I'm going over to a friends in a couple of days to try out another GPU and see if I can replicate the problem. The motherboard I'm currently using is MSI military class II P67A-GD65. What exactly might be the problem with the PCI slot? Is the slot just the hole? Is it purely a problem with the case?

No, I mean the contacts on the slot on the motherboard could be loose or coming apart or just dead. Or the contact strip on the GPU (the part that goes into the slot on the motherboard) could have something on it or could be damaged.

Nothing to do with the case.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hi everyone, sorry for the delay with any updates. I took my tower to my mates house to get his help in troubleshooting. He asked me to boot up counter strike GO and show him the problem (ordinarily the problem would start within 30 seconds of starting the game) and nothing happened. We played for about 15 minutes perfectly. I went home and plugged it all back in and played for about 5 hours over 2 night and no problem at all.

He suspects the GPU got knocked about a little on the drive to his and knocked back into place or something.

Any explanation for this? I have never reseated anything in my tower so could it be the GPU simply wasn't seated correctly?

3694663-1.png
  • Options
    Yep definitely possible. Usually this kind of study would be rules out because you would take the card out to check out the heatsink for dust and see that all the parts are still attached...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    No, see, you're doing this improperly. You are supposed to be asking for suggestions on replacement gpu's now.

• Options
    How come I need to buy a new GPU? Because it's old or because if it needed to be knocked about that means it has basically reached the end of its life?

3694663-1.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    How come I need to buy a new GPU? Because it's old or because if it needed to be knocked about that means it has basically reached the end of its life?

@davidsdurions was making a joke about how people in this forum are "enablers" in encouraging others to buy new computer parts.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    No, he needs to buy a $300 GPU ASAP.

@dexter it's better not to ask these kinds of questions. When this happens follow the protocol, and if that doesn't work, then get new parts. It sounds ridiculous, but sometimes reseating things and a can of compressed air just fixes things eventhough there is no good reason why. Do not anger the fickle computer gods.