As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

VROOOM PSH VRROOOOOM [Car thread]

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    That's apparently meant to be pretty much it. I'm not sure how it will go in pedestrian safety crash testing.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Man, I saw that Toyota sports car in person at the Chicago auto show. I personally found it hideous, but I applaud their effort.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i don't understand why low cars get hit for pedestrian testing

in my mind its the dodge challenger or chevy suburban that guarantees death

if you get hit by that thing you just roll right over it

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i don't understand why low cars get hit for pedestrian testing

in my mind its the dodge challenger or chevy suburban that guarantees death

if you get hit by that thing you just roll right over it

Sharp leading edges don't bruise, they break bones or dismember completely. Also, bonnet lines are rising because when you DO hit someone and the flop down onto your bonnet and the engine is only half an inch below it, they're much more likely to smash bones and puncture internal organs when the bonnet gives that half inch and they're effectively hitting cast aluminium instead. It's why lots of newer front-engined sportscars have those little exploding bonnet mounts at the back that jack the bonnet up 4-5 inches in the case of a frontal accident.

jgeis wrote: »
    Man, I saw that Toyota sports car in person at the Chicago auto show. I personally found it hideous, but I applaud their effort.

Yeah, it's not particularly pretty. Frontal and side outline is pretty good, but the surfaces and detailing are kinda wonky to me. It looks very purposeful, at least.

So if you live in the US, are 21 years of age or older, and own/insure your vehicle, Cadillac will give you $100 to test drive their cars.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't test drive a car for free money.

oooh. i might do that. my girlfriend needs an SUV and I need an excuse to drive a CTS-V

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    So if you live in the US, are 21 years of age or older, and own/insure your vehicle, Cadillac will give you $100 to test drive their cars.

I don't know why anyone wouldn't test drive a car for free money.

Yeah, I am signing up for this. I can't think of a reason not to take my friends out to get paid to drive cadillacs

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm halfway through a road trip with a mate. My bike is gloriously dirty now - shortly after this photo we rode on a dirt road over a mountain through thick mist. Rather glorious.
    cd.jpg?psid=1

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    When I woke up this morning I didn't think I'd be ordering a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires. And yet, here I am.

still waiting to buy my continental extremecontacts

other prioritize arose. need to get it done this year though

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    When I woke up this morning I didn't think I'd be ordering a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires. And yet, here I am.

I just bought a set of these at work this past thursday. Luckily I was able to get the warranty on my last set to pay for half the new set. I didn't get anywhere near 45k miles.

Out of a set of sports tyres? Well, duh. If you wanted high mileage you should have bought Premacys not Pilot Sports.

the first thing out of the tire guys mouth when I told him what I wanted was "you realize that you'll be lucky to get 35k out of these right?"

i was all like "exactly"

That's like complaining about not being able to put a suitcase in the trunk.

It wasn't a complaint, so much as an observation. Considering all the sliding around the uturn I do after closing on Saturdays, I really wasn't surprised. Just glad I got the $400 back.

What are you driving, Krieghund?

Just sitting here, with my 70k rated economy Pirelli's

07 Satin Silver Mustang GT, 5m. Probably looking to get a 16 model year 5.0.

I hadn't manually calculated my fuel economy in a while, and I was curious to see what the Pirelli tires were doing for me. Plus at 50k miles, I figure the engine is well broken in at this point.

Managed 37.5mpg over the last tank. Pretty solid, I think.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I've been thinking a lot recently about buying one of those Toyota fj cruisers. I've got a lot of love for the old 40 series from growing up in the bush. I'm thinking either a 2012 or 2013 model.

It's a shame that they don't have a diesel to be honest

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    If you love the 40 series, why not buy a fully restored one?

The new FJ is based off the Hilux platform, so it's pretty good but it needs a few mods to really make it rip shit offroad.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I remember reading recently that they are killing the FJ, if that is true, you could pick up one for a song after they stop production and dealers are trying to clear inventory.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    if I refinance a car, do I need to re-buy GAP insurance?

Only if the new finance company wants you to. Refinancing should kill the old gap insurance as well as the amount owing on the car.

Got the Pilot Sports mounted today. 30 miles in and they are just so, so much better than my winters. Which isn't that surprising of course, but man it's nice to be on proper rubber again.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Well looks like I'll finally have my turbo car. Heading on a 3 hour drive south to take a look at this.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2005-saab-9-2x-aero-hatchback/588313619

Affectionately know as the Saabaru. From my communications with the buyer everything looks on the up and up, but I'll still take a good look before handing over money.

Same day I pick it up I'll also get to learn how to drive stick, so I can make the 3 hour drive home. Going to be a fun filled father/son bonding weekend :lol:

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Stick is easy once you get out of first. Plus, if you're going to be on the highway, it's mostly going to be in top gear anyway.

What would be the most common cause of a stall in an automatic transmission vehicle after hitting a heavy bump in the road but without any physical contact with the undercarriage?

I need to start shopping for a crossover/small SUV for my fiance to replace her 106k mile Chrystler van

looking for other brand ideas beyond Ford/Mazda... with an emphasis on durability/reliability

prince range, 20-25k new, 12-16k used

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    What would be the most common cause of a stall in an automatic transmission vehicle after hitting a heavy bump in the road but without any physical contact with the undercarriage?

I need to start shopping for a crossover/small SUV for my fiance to replace her 106k mile Chrystler van

looking for other brand ideas beyond Ford/Mazda... with an emphasis on durability/reliability

prince range, 20-25k new, 12-16k used

Is it stalling due to electronics so something like the battery or alternator got jostled? Or does it seem mechanical and I'll let smarter people figure that out?

Have you looked at the subaru forrester? We are thinking that's our next vehicle purchase to replace my little truck and be more family friendly at the same time.

edited May 2014
    the electrics remained on, but the engine cut. it's a high mileage piece of crap chrystler van... it's had mild signs of impending engine duress for about the last month. also it leaks water into the cabin when it rains and one of the mirrors is falling off and the rear automated door breaks from the control arm and at least two of the tires have leaks and the throttle sticks

trying to gauge how much time I have before I *have* to buy a replacement

Jasconius on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Last week? ;)

I cannot think of what would cause an engine to stall like that other than electrics. Unless it's disrupting fuel somewhere, but then I would think it wouldn't restart without fixing the issue.

My parents have an '05 Grand Caravan and it has been a mixed bag. The doors and electronics all work fine, the engine sounds different than it did when they bought it, but it does not knock and there is no exhaust leak so I have no idea what caused the change in sound, the body is starting to rust but not symmetrically and there was no obvious damage to cause it. The interior would probably look new with a good cleaning, it has been quite durable. The front suspension has been a bit whack and we had to replace the struts this past weekend, and one motor mount rotted away and had to be replaced. It's 10 years old, sure, but it only has something like 70k miles on it and has been garage stored since like '07.

In spite of that I still bought a Chrysler group product. At 54k miles in ~1.5 years into ownership, it has not deteriorated into a pile of shit which is quite the change from old Chrysler.

I would recommend checking out the Jeep Renegade when it hits the showrooms if you can wait that long. It would fit well into your new vehicle price range and from early info seems like it could be a really great small SUV.

The Cherokee is also a good option, but it quickly climbs in price with options so it might not work for you. It's gotten excellent reviews though.

The Nissan Juke is also a thing to consider. I know that there are a lot of people out there that like it, and it has reviewed well.

Juke doesn't look big enough for a dog

this needs to carry a fairly large dog kennel plus luggage

edited May 2014
    Maybe a Kia Soul? If the seats fold down it might be big enough. Not sure if they do
    though.

jgeis on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Stick is easy once you get out of first. Plus, if you're going to be on the highway, it's mostly going to be in top gear anyway.

Yeah the 3 hour highway run doesn't have me worried; it's crossing the river valley back to my apartment. It'll be all flat flat flat driving, then suddenly hill start.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited May 2014
    i refuse to be involved in the purchase or use of a kia

Jasconius on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The Volkswagen Tiguan might be in your range. Or the Hyundai Santa Fe.

Tiguan. Best in class.

Her van definitely sounds like an electrical fault. Is it coil on plug? If it has a single igniter coil and a distributor cap, it could be the lead to or from the single coil cutting out, which would kill all cylinders until it flexes back the other way and current can pass through it again.

Go with the outsider choice, a Ford Transit Connect Wagon. Seating for 5, a big cargo area, 1.6l Ecoboost and 6-speed auto, all the niceties found in a Focus.

This discussion has been closed.