As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sgt. Superhero Thread: The Spring Spoilers

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    She was in Cable & X-Force until that got cancelled. Apparently the current X-Force series reveals that she is in a coma, but doesn't say how she got there.

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently this happened, Cap 2 spoilers:
    colbert-hydra.jpg
    You bastard! We trusted you! Gave you The Shield!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    How is All-New X-Men? If I were to pick it up, what would I need to know beforehand

Also, what was the general consensus on AvX? I'm thinking about picking up the series but not sure how good it was.

All New is fantastic

AvX was ok, not great.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah AvX was just basically ok. It has some great scenes and it does "heroes take two different sides and you can reasonably agree with both of them" way better than civil war.

it's not a bad event but it's not great.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    AvX did its job of setting the stage for some cool stories.

It felt a bit mindless otherwise.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I still kind of feel like the whole

"MUTANT PROBLEMS. You normies stay out." angle is not really a well defensible position in AvX when the whole planet was at risk.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    AvX ignored a lot of continuity and a lot of unnecessary violence and destruction over conflicts that could have been much more reasonably resolved.

• Options
    It did continue a proud tradition of Cyclops being the worst, though.

So at least we have that.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I still kind of feel like the whole

"MUTANT PROBLEMS. You normies stay out." angle is not really a well defensible position in AvX when the whole planet was at risk.

The whole conflict was written with everyone out of character. More so with Steve, but with Cyke too.

At least Cyke's reasoning is explained by (THE WORST THING EVER)Children's Crusade. You get to say "Avenger's problem", I get to say "Mutant problem".

Steve meanwhile is hilariously confrontational when a simple "Hey look guys I know you got this, but, uh, can we do this off planet this time? Just in case?"

Which is totally what Steve would ask, but, ugh, instead we get Steve going to Genosha and demanding Hope, Scott saying no, and then coming back with the full Avengers roster.

As you can see, I did NOT LIKE AvX's setup.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    AvX had some really, really great moments for non-mutant heroes, particularly Thor and Spider-Man.

Also it has Namor being Namor. But also Namor's lowest moment. It's hard to make a call on that one.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, Spider-Man taking on Colussus and Magik was a classic Spidey moment.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I am so happy when James Stokoe gets work.

• Options
    Kind of hearkened back to the giant slayer Spider of twenty years ago

Just handled better

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I'd really like to see Sony strike a deal with Fox to borrow a certain villain for a future Spider-Man movie.
    0sySZ52.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The reason the mutants take care of their own problems setup works is because they have been so segregated from the rest of the marvel u.

The reason why the x-men stance makes sense is because we just had almost 10 solid years of the x-men being entirely segregated from the rest of the marvel u.

When Hope was born, when Bastion attacked Utopia, when Norman Osborn and Hammer tried to bring them to heel - they were entirely on their own.

But now that something is about to happen with the ability to restart the mutant race (which remember, is on the verge of extinction to begin with because if stuff that happened with the Avengers). They suddenly step in and say "we'll take it from here"? OF COURSE Cyclops is going to tell them to fuck off.

It's not perfect but for a big hero vs hero blockbuster it was mostly fun, and nothing super stupid happens.

And it have us Uncanny Avengers, so bonus points for that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think the fact that Cyclops turned down less dangerous plans to restore the mutants really weakened his stance. He had a chance to use the terrigen mist and turned that down because he thought it was too dangerous. He had a chance to have Scarlet Witch help him but insisted on trying her for a crime and fighting her rather than asking her for help. I'm pretty sure he turned down a couple of other schemes because he thought they were too dangerous. But then for no good reason, he thinks that using the Phoenix would be a good idea even though it's a million times more dangerous than all of the previous attempts to restore mutants.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    You guys know what's become a fun comic? Nova. Really has that young super hero having fun vibe that I liked from Blue Beetle.

Among the many, many missed opportunities of DC, BB is up there.

Yeah, Nova's is fun! Though I feel like it's rehashing the 1970 series a bit with the whole Spider-Man esque juggling between a hound mans life and superheroics. But we've gotten a real fun Beta Ray Bill team-up, so that's cool.

• Options
    AvX had one really good moment for the primary plot where you saw the Phoenix Force working its stuff on Cyclops, when he told Hope that if she deserved the power she would have taken it in the first place, and it was too late now

Also it ended up in an annulment of the marriage betwen Ororo and Tchalla, and even as a guy who loves romance in comics I agree that that was a really good idea

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Storm/Wolverine OTP

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I don't know if you're being ironic

But that agree isn't

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Not ironic at all, they are awesome together.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I love Namor so much

The part I just read where Sue decks him and sends him spinning to the floor and he's all "YOU DARE" and she's all, "YEAH I DO BITCH WHAT OF IT"

And Namor is just paralyzed for a moment

And then he's like

"God you're magnificent"

And Sue rolls her eyes so hard she probably strained something

Awesome, awesome moment

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    what does otp stand for?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    One True Pairing

• Options
    what does otp stand for?

Ideal smoochin' combination

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    One True Pairing

see: The Great NaruxHina vs NaruxSakura Wars

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    or the great ron/hermione harry/hermione wars of which the harry/hermione shippers emerged triumphantly against all odds

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    OTP = I'm Being Neurotic on the Internet.

• Options
    outside the perimeter

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the geebs/literally anyone pairing which was, thankfully, extinguished

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    that's true even in my self fanfictions

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Man Avengers 2 looks awesome

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Ryan North says his Young Avengers story stars Noh-Varr, Hulkling and Prodigy, although the rest of the team will make appearances.

A Young Avengers story that doesn't focus on Billy?

My god

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I thought YA was canned.

Should I watch Justice League or Brave and the Bold first?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    YA didn't get cancelled, Gillen was asked if he'd rather end it or let someone keep it going and he said he liked the idea of it being like a TV show with different seasons and breaks in between.

So, this is Season 2 of Gillen's Young Avengers team, by Ryan North. Or at least 1.5

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Brave and the Bold

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Just depends on what you're in the mood for. Justice league is serious and good and brave and the bold is silver age batman but without the things that make silver age comics interminable to read. It's just super fun.

It has one and done episodes but each season has an overarching story as well.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Is it me or did they model Dick Grayson after Agent Ward on SHIELD?

23ra5p4.jpg
    2w3rf5g.jpg
    601px-Vlcsnap-153758.jpg

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.