As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play [XCOM : Enemy Within] Your Planet. Your Fight. Join Today!

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    [Audio log of Clark "Heenato" Vivian]

"Tch. Guess that will was a bit premature. A few of us crowded together in a narrow hallway and stacked as much junk we could as cover. Worked well enough. Nothing could sneak up on us, since there were no vents... We were all surprised when we started hearing our EWOP liason over the radio. Figured he had turned tail and fled, but there he was, rushing into danger to save our asses...

And he did. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for him co-ordinating the defense efforts with the director MIA at the time. That man died to save all our asses. At one point I fancied the notion of dragging him down to the memorial after everything was said and done, making him take a good long look at the people he indirectly killed, and then putting a goddamn bullet in him. Needless to say, I'm gonna be pissed if he's NOT on the memorial now.

Well, after this little fiasco, we got our guns back. And we don't have anyone breathing down our necks now. Maybe now we can turn the tide, instead of just stem it.

End of log. "

[log ends]

M A G I K A Z A M
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    Does the base defence vary in length? I did mine super late in the game and it was ridiculous. It was a long slog.

Also:
    I thought I was about to reach my end! Great job Ender making it through.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Does the base defence vary in length? I did mine super late in the game and it was ridiculous. It was a long slog.

Also:
    I thought I was about to reach my end! Great job Ender making it through.
    Not so much in length, but more in enemies. The longer it takes to get to it, the more stompy the enemies get. I've had sectopods in the base defense before. It's not fun.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've found it best to assault the alien base the moment you can get enough people kitted out with lasers and carapace. Putting the whole thing off only makes things worse.

• vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I remember having to do that first room with the map, then the room after with the cargo crates, then the room after that with this office in the middle, and the two tunnels on either side Though looking through Ender's screens, he seems to stay back and let the last wave come to him. I advanced forward and fought in that room. I also had way more waves to deal with. I did it way late though, I had Ethereals and Sectopods show up to the party, and there were more than one.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've found it best to assault the alien base the moment you can get enough people kitted out with lasers and carapace. Putting the whole thing off only makes things worse.
    I remember putting it off for a while in vanilla and wound up having to deal with three fucking sectopods; the last one was behing a door that I'd heard noises behind and had positioned myself to maximize an overwatch and inadvertently setting myself up for a horrific nuke ray.

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    ---PSY-WAVE LINK ESTABLISHED ---

i]Sounds of heavy breathing is intermixed with audio static, while a distant, but loud voice can be heard in the background[/i

Distant voice: Move in SEC-squad and secure the area! Somebody put out that fire over there. We don't want it to spread to the rest of the base.

Unknown voice: fuckfuckfuck they're going to find me!

Distant voice: Talk to me, people. What's the status of the cargo bay area?

Unknown male voice:
    East section clear! Lot of dead Aliens over here!

Unknown female voice: West section clear! A lot of blood, but no bodies! Trail leads to south section!

Distant voice: South Section, what's your status? Any bodies?

Unknown voice: gotta think fast.... think fast!

i]There is a sudden increase in noise. It sounds like someone is scuttling around and zippers being opened and closed[/i

Unknown male voice: Approaching South Section. South Section is clear! We have a couple of bo.... wait, this is one alive! I GOT A SOLDIER WOUNDED OVER HERE!

Distant voice:
    What's his status?

Unknown male voice: There is a lot of blood, but I don't see any wounds. He seems to be in a state of shock. Hey, hey! It's alright, the Aliens are gone. You're safe now.

Distant voice: What's his name and rank?

Unknown male voice: What's your name, soldier? You have a name?

Unknown voice: Hii...cks..

Unknown male voice: He passed out. According to his suit, his name is Hicks and he is in SEC-squad, though I don't see a number. I think he is one of the new recruits we recently shipped in today.

Distant voice: Whoever he is, get him to the infirmary! I'm not losing another soldier to bureaucratic bullshit today.

Unknown male voice: Roger! It's going to be alright, Hicks. You're in safe hands now. The good guys are here and we won the day.

---PSY-WAVE LINK CLOSED---

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I'm glad I was able to get through Ashes & Temples with conventional weapons (even if it took 2 attempts), but I feel that it's a stretch at best to take the basic gear beyond that threshold (you can do it, but - for me - the game stops being fun at that point).

I'm curious about this... do certain missions allow for restarts on Ironman?

It seems kind of inconsistent with the mentality of that game mode, but definitely makes sense given the nature of that mission.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I'm glad I was able to get through Ashes & Temples with conventional weapons (even if it took 2 attempts), but I feel that it's a stretch at best to take the basic gear beyond that threshold (you can do it, but - for me - the game stops being fun at that point).

It seems kind of inconsistent with the mentality of that game mode, but definitely makes sense given the nature of that mission.

You can save scum even on Ironman, and when doing LP's, it's wise to always back up your save to protect against hardware failure or save corruption.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think the base defence mission lets you retry, just because losing is a total wipe, rather than just knocking you back to rookies for the next mission.
    I don't know if there's a limit on attempts.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    The first mission, Base Defense, and Operation Avenger all allow unlimited retries, otherwise it would be a straight Game Over.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

Like Rainfall says, any of the 'Game Over!' missions allow for unlimited restarts, even on Ironman mode. The only way to lose the game is via global panic (...I think? I'm not sure what happens if you, say, lose every single soldier and also run out of money to replace them).

I'm not sure if I agree with that design decision or not (and you can certainly accept the loss & choose not to restart Ashes & Temples for a purer Ironman experience) - but I felt that it would be kind of anti-climatic if I just accepted the game over for purposes of the LP.

With Love and Courage
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular

Like Rainfall says, any of the 'Game Over!' missions allow for unlimited restarts, even on Ironman mode. The only way to lose the game is via global panic (...I think? I'm not sure what happens if you, say, lose every single soldier and also run out of money to replace them).

I'm not sure if I agree with that design decision or not (and you can certainly accept the loss & choose not to restart Ashes & Temples for a purer Ironman experience) - but I felt that it would be kind of anti-climatic if I just accepted the game over for purposes of the LP.

Well, the destruction of XCOM and the annihilation/subjugation of the human race is one more way to prove how awful EWOP is, I suppose!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular

Ya, while slightly inconsistent, it'd be a really cheap way to lose the game.

I'm glad it works that way though. This LP continues to be very entertaining.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    1.jpg
    JULY 4TH, 2015. 1623 HOURS.
    OPERATION FADING FEAR
    MEXICO

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Heard you boys & girls spent most of yesterday saving our asses?
    DELTA-3 "MegaMek": Heard you single-handedly bum rushed the CiC and bailed-out the XCOM command staff?
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": ...Well, that's an exaggeration. I had plenty of help.
    DELTA-3 "MegaMek": So did we.

2.jpg

Director: Delta, report status.
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Status yellow, HQ. Plenty of evidence of activity, but no contacts yet. Recon element, you copy?

4.jpg

RECON "Schuss": Yeah, I copy. Expect plenty of company, Delta; I really stepped into a beehive out here.
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Copy that. Move out & link up, Delta.

3.jpg
    5.jpg

RECON "Schuss": ...I've got audio coming from the the upper structure.
    DELTA-4 "Notorious": I hear it too.

6.jpg

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Alright, let's check it out; I'll take point.

7.jpg
    8.jpg

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Contact!

9.jpg

BRAVO-1 "Gaddez": ...Do you hear that?
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": I hear it. I'm not sure what lang--
    RECON "Schuss": It's Russian. They've been squawking in Russian & tuning in to a Russian numbers station.
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": HQ, you getting this?
    Director: We're getting it, Delta - just keep focused on your objective. We'll do the analysis on our end.
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": ...Copy.

10.jpg
    11.jpg

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Well, they're sitting ducks down there. Chunk, send 'em a greeting card.

12.jpg
    13.jpg
    14.jpg
    15.jpg

DELTA-5 "Anubis": Additional contacts!

16.jpg
    17.jpg

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": ...They went right into the same kill zone where their buddies just got massacred.
    DELTA-5 "Anubis": Yeah... EXALT doesn't exactly hire the cream of the--
    BRAVO-1 "Gaddez": Hold up a second... there's something... I want a closer look at their...

18.jpg

BRAVO-1 "Gaddez": That's one of our guns!

19.jpg

Director: ...I can't believe this... We see it. Gaddez, we want to filter for a possible ID mismatch on the software's end - can you personally testify that the weapon you're seeing is one of our prototypes?
    BRAVO-1 "Gaddez": I'm 99% sure, HQ. That's our stuff.
    Director: [size]...Yeah... yeah... no, I can't disagree... [/size] ...Okay, just stay focused out there, Delta. We're putting together a picture on our end. Get the job done & come back home.

20.jpg
    21.jpg
    22.jpg

DELTA-5 "Anubis": More of 'em.
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": ...Yup. Right into the same field of fire. I almost feel embarrassed for these boys.

23.jpg
    24.jpg

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": I've seen college freshman with better discipline.

25.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.jpg
    28.jpg
    29.jpg
    30.jpg

DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": ...That it?
    DELTA-3 "MegaMek": I've got one more straggler up here.

31.jpg

DELTA-3 "MegaMek": Settled.
    DELTA-10 "Machine Gun": Alrighty. Mission's a wrap, HQ. We're hittin' the skies.

32.jpg

**OOC Commentary**

Not shown: Most of the mission.

The majority of that fight was me overwatch-killing identical EXALT laser troops over and over. The EXALT AI is so awful, it beggars belief: this is the second mission that they didn't shoot back at me a single time.

EXALT is a nice breather from the alien missions, and it is pretty fun to just get to murder a bunch of scrubs, but it's hard to make a full EXALT mission interesting via commentary - so, *snip* *snip*

**OOC Commentary**

With Love and Courage
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I do wish exalt was a bigger/better threat as well. I think it is a function of their AI. They see what they need to do (capture this space) but they don't plan for what is around that space like a human would.

still, yay bravo-delta!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I do wish exalt was a bigger/better threat as well. I think it is a function of their AI. They see what they need to do (capture this space) but they don't plan for what is around that space like a human would.

still, yay bravo-delta!

Yeah, the difference between Exalt and the aliens are that the aliens have a very simple objective: Kill XCom operatives. When you don't have a secondary objective, you can plan what you can do very very well while taking into account tactical variables such as cover and sight lines. Toss in a stationary objective location, and that just goes out the window. It may just be a bad priority order in the objectives. If the Exalt prioritised killing XCom and going for objectives if and only if killing or pinning down XCom is not possible, then I think there'll be a lot more pressure.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    I see a few problems with EXALT:

1) Like you guys already stated, they don't appear to be able to handle the idea of holding a capture point while simultaneously fighting the player.

2) They are extremely squishy. There is no EXALT equivalent to the Cyberdisc / Mechtoid / Beserker / Sectopod / Ethereal, and you can one-shot almost every EXALT solider type so long as you've been teching-up your weapons at a reasonable pace (even with the EWOP restrictions, I was still able to reliably two-shot the toughest EXALT forces).

3) They are under equipped. In most games they will have bullets when you have lasers, and they will have lasers when you have plasma. This makes them a non-threat to anyone wearing carapace or better armor (unless you are under-manned in a mission and get one of your troops surrounded because you get stupidly cocky, like I did a few missions back). Their most dangerous weapon is the rocket launcher, but they have to follow the same rules as the player and can only use it if they don't move the heavy, which is too much of a burden for the AI to handle.

With Love and Courage
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    From the preview stuff before EW was released, I was expecting the Exalt to be gene-modded up the wazoo, and carrying potentially impossible combinations.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    They don't even have any assaults! Granted, I think those would be the one thing that would actually fuck you up. Probably too much.

M A G I K A Z A M
    It's a product of my recent entertainment choices, but there seems to be an obvious explanation for how EXALT managed to get their hands on our energy weapons.
    Weapons that were confiscated from us by EWOP.
    Hail HydraEXALT?

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Woo!

• YogoYogo Registered User regular
    I'm putting my contributions to the overall narrative in a spoiler, since my posts are getting ridiculously long.
    ---PSY-WAVE LINK ESTABLISHED ---

Unknown voice: Hey, Dad! Can I come into your office?

Dad: No, son, you can't. I'm in the middle of some important business here. Go play with your brother or something.

Son: But Dad, you never spend any time with us and you're rarely home, and when you're home, you spend all your time in your office. Please Dad, can't I come in just this once?

Dad: I said no!

i]A sound of sobbing can be heard[/i

Dad: *Sigh*, okay, son, but only this one and you have to be quiet. Dad is overlooking some important data here, so go stand in the corner or something.

i]Footsteps can be heard, and moments later a door can be heard opening and closing[/i

Son: Woah, Dad, I never knew you had so many books in here... and, woah, that's an awesome computer! Can I play games on it while you work?

Dad: No! That's not for playing, and don't forget what I just told you a few minutes ago. You have to be quiet if you want to stay in here!

Son: Okay, Dad. I'll... I'll be quiet.

Dad: Good, boy. Now give me some space, so I can work in peace.

i]Sounds of a chair being moved about and breathing can be heard from the recording intermingled with periods of complete silence.[/i

Son: ...I wonder what this here is... maybe it's a secret surprise for the family. That has to be why he is holed up in here all the time.

i]Sounds of pages being flickered through can be heard on the recording[/i

Son: ... they are weak and pitiful. They rose out of the old Nazi regime and built the organization known as HYDRA. They believed they were superior and humanity was destined to rule by them, but we have seen the light and the errors of humanity. We are feeble and stumble blindly around in the darkness, but the Light is here. They are coming and we shall welcome them with open arms. They are the true Gods of this universe.

We are the chosen few to receive this honor.

We are the messengers of their coming.

We are EXALT.

Son: Woah, I didn't know Dad was writing a sci-fi story! . Hey Dad, this is an awesome story you are writing. Why didn't yo...

Dad:
    WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS? I told you not to touch anything! Give me that!

Son: Argh, Dad, you're hurting me!

i]Cries can be heard on the recording[/i

Dad: Now, get out of my office and never come back again. You hear me?! I don't want to see your face ever again!

i]A door slams shut[/i

Hicks: Dad....dad.... DAD?!

Unknown male voice: Woah, easy there, soldier. Relax. You're in the infirmary. You have been out of it for a couple of hours. Here, let me give you something, so you can relax and get your bearings.

Hicks: Oo..kay..

15 years later and still that dream haunts me in my sleep. One would have thought that wounds would heal over time, but not mine. I just kept digging to make its size bigger and bigger. Now I'm caught up in war not really my own, pretending to be somebody named "Hicks". The supposed enemy is all around me, I'm trapped inside their underground base. But that's not the worst of it.

I'm EXALT and I have failed my mission objective. There's no going back for me now.

---PSY-WAVE LINK CLOSED---

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    M
    klemming wrote: »
    It's a product of my recent entertainment choices, but there seems to be an obvious explanation for how EXALT managed to get their hands on our energy weapons.
    Weapons that were confiscated from us by EWOP.
    Hail HydraEXALT?

LP narrative reason is that an XCOM pilot switched sides and stole lasers from the XCOM armory.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Guys, I don't mean to alarm you, but I think this new HAIL HYDRA button can mean only one thing.

EXALT sympathizers have infiltrated the forums at the very highest levels. We should probably track down their base. Soon.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Guys, I don't mean to alarm you, but I think this new HAIL HYDRA button can mean only one thing.

EXALT sympathizers have infiltrated the forums at the very highest levels. We should probably track down their base. Soon.

What do you mean, EXALT sympathizers?
    It's XCOM that's the minority screwing everyone over!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited April 2014
    report-28.jpg

Director's Report
    July 4TH, 2015

m128.jpg

My boss used to tell me that his parents raised him right. It was the foundation for his moral framework, his effective leadership and the charisma that brought people out to vote for him.

I have to admit that it made me jealous and a little resentful every time he'd mention it: I was one of the people who's parents didn't raise them right. That's not an excuse, just a statement. My parents taught me that a lot of lifestyles were immoral, that most foreigners were malicious and especially that you could never trust anyone from eastern Europe. At best, they were all brainwashed drones.

Right at the outset of the project, I did not respect my colleagues from Russia as equal partners. The moment we first sighted traitors, I thought I knew for certain that Russia was involved, somehow. I would like to think that I never ignored Russian airspace out of prejudice... but I've been looking over the intercept data vs the UFO report data, and it does not soothe my conscience.

When I brought the delegates in this morning, I used the words of absolute authority: the findings were 'concrete', they were 'conclusive', they were 'hard facts'. The delegates balked, offering counter-arguments. This, to me, only meant that they themselves were also in on the plot.

I used the 't' word.

I'll never use that word again.

The drama I was expecting didn't unfold; the delegates just shook their hands, took their documents, handed-in their security clearance and left. The last thing I heard from them was, "Do not call on us,"

I went back to my office; we had a black ops mission to draft and submit to logistics, involving infiltrating Russian airspace try and locate the where the Kremlin was harboring our terrorists...

There was an intelligence report on my desk - I'd tossed it there almost a week ago. The title of the report was, 'Ashes & Temples'. I recalled that one of the Russian delegates had handed it to me personally. I hadn't read it - there were a lot of reports I hadn't read, simply due to the sheer volume of reports - but this one had been straight-up neglected, not even passed on for review by one of our analysts.

The report was a concise & detailed warning of a possible impending attack on HQ-TOMORROW. Among other things, it cited strong evidence that one of our Operators, Kevin Walters, had been compromised. It had been passed along via delegate, not field agent, because the field agent who collected this information had died in an infirmary from injuries sustained in acquiring it.

I remember asking my boss what he felt the biggest mistake he'd made was after coming into office. "Once you sit down in this chair, you're not allowed to make any mistakes,"

I guess that's why I never sat in that chair.

m129.jpg

We've had multiple response requests for ET attacks; Delta-Bravo's been sent to France on a sweep & clear operation.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    Note: Blind guessing as to which country has the EXALT base is not a good idea.

Would not recommend to any viewers. :p

With Love and Courage
    There were five countries left, jeeze. Impatient are we? I mean, one more easy as hell exalt mission and at worst you would only figure out that ONE of those isn't.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    There were five countries left, jeeze. Impatient are we? I mean, one more easy as hell exalt mission and at worst you would only figure out that ONE of those isn't.

I know, I know.

My ego got the best of me. I just had this gut intuition that it was Russia, and I wanted to prove to the thread what an stunningly awesome 4-dimensional chess player I was, so I gambled.

Turns out I'm not a very good 4-dimensional chess player afterall.

With Love and Courage
    Hey, how can you have an abduction mission in Russia if they've left the project? Doesn't that lock them out of possible mission sites?

Hey, how can you have an abduction mission in Russia if they've left the project? Doesn't that lock them out of possible mission sites?

The abduction triggered, and then I remembered that I wanted to do an EXALT search afterward, which is when I took a shitty guess and knocked out Russia.

The game apparently doesn't re-check the abduction event to make sure it's all kosher after you do an EXALT search.

I was sort of tempted to fly into Russia just to see what would happen, but decided against it.

With Love and Courage

The abduction triggered, and then I remembered that I wanted to do an EXALT search afterward, which is when I took a shitty guess and knocked out Russia.

The game apparently doesn't re-check the abduction event to make sure it's all kosher after you do an EXALT search.

I was sort of tempted to fly into Russia just to see what would happen, but decided against it.

I wonder if that could be used to trick the game into letting a country back in after it leaves.

Dont be too sure on those exalt missions. I had a run and this is what the game told me, in order, regarding where the exalt base was.

The Exalt Base is not:
    In Africa
    In a country with territories in the Arctic Circle
    In North America
    In an English Speaking Country
    In Europe
    In India
    In China
    In Brazil
    In Japan

It was Argentina

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Note: Blind guessing as to which country has the EXALT base is not a good idea.

Would not recommend to any viewers. :p

Well you know we're in a nation you can play as in Civ 5.

Kadoken on
    A really douche move would be to not automatically cross countries off, so you'd have to find out what nations you can play as in Civ5 to get any use out of that clue.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    It would be kinda funny if you lose the soldiers from countries that withdraw from the project.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    A really douche move would be to not automatically cross countries off, so you'd have to find out what nations you can play as in Civ5 to get any use out of that clue.

It would get annoying.

Do the Aztecs count as Mexico? Do the Zulu count as South Africa?

JusticeforPluto on
    zulus are south *africa* mate... unless that was intentional because yea, seriously.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    No, that was stupid autocorrect.