As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sgt. Superhero Thread: The Spring Spoilers

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I always skip over that Chaykin special

I just can't do it

and Iron Fist was never unique in the way Aja has made Hawkeye unique, in terms of art.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I disagree!

Aja's style was an incredibly important part of those early issues

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Man, some people hate Howard Chaykin and I just don't get it

I mean I don't think I've seen a lot of his stuff but what I have seen, I don't see anything irredeemable or unreadable about it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man, some people hate Howard Chaykin and I just don't get it

I mean I don't think I've seen a lot of his stuff but what I have seen, I don't see anything irredeemable or unreadable about it
    detail.jpg
    those faces

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    They're not great

But I've seen so much worse!

Fuckin' Mike Deodato's art bothers me more than that

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think there are valid arguments for both ways

and if you read Hawkeye in trades, the wait isn't going to seem that long

but if you've been picking it up in singles having to wait 6 months, then another month and then 3 more months for various issues gets incredibly annoying

And also one of these issues is a fucking childrens christmas story in the middle of march months after a huge cliff hanger

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    his perspective is also super terrible, I remember someone in GV once made a diagram of one of his pages showing the scale of what was drawn according to the perspective used and it was hilariously out of whack.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »
    They're not great

But I've seen so much worse!

Fuckin' Mike Deodato's art bothers me more than that
    Obviously this is all subjective, but Deodato's poser art is way less offensive to me than Danny Rand looking like a 45 year old accountant

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Deodato's art only really bothers me in that I know he can do better cause I've seen him do better.

I just can't read a book with Chaykin art I cant do it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say that art is a bigger deal with comics with you than me, Bale, which probably is why we disagree on Hawkeye?

Like, and I'm not giving you shit for it, but you were willing to buy Loeb's Hulk because of McGuinness' art while I tend towards the writing and can put up with Chaykin for Matt Fraction's Danny Rand.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I really liked that arc of Hawkeye that Pulido did

I think I like his art a lot, actually.

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »

I really enjoy it outside of, like, 40% of his faces?

Most of the time they're fine but then you'll get someone who is crosseyed or that terrifying Hellcat spread

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think it's fair to say that art is a bigger deal with comics with you than me, Bale, which probably is why we disagree on Hawkeye?

Like, and I'm not giving you shit for it, but you were willing to buy Loeb's Hulk because of McGuinness' art while I tend towards the writing and can put up with Chaykin for Matt Fraction's Danny Rand.

I only read through the first arc, even I have my limits.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Pulido didn't bother me too much on Hawkeye but yeah, that last She-Hulk was something else.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    There's something about Pulido's faces that I actually really like

I don't think there's a word I know for why, but it's something that instantly I went like "hmmm yeah Yeah"

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »

Pulido is awesome, but when those issues came out there was a lot of grumping about how it wasn't Aja and that grumping has gotten even louder since then. Plenty of people outright don't like the Annie Wu Kate issues and someone on this very page again posted their hilariously hyperbolic rage about the Eliopoulis issue

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Eliopoulis issue wasn't disliked because it wasn't Aja, it was disliked because it was blatant filler that came out months late and had ridiculous tonal clash with the previous issue

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    If this was almost any other book I wouldnt be this hardline about it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, Arrow.
    Is this how they introduce Connor Hawke?!

I mean, they didnt really specify the year that flash back occurred so...

5 years on the island, 2 years due to this being second season, i say it happen a few years before the island and kid could be 10+ years

Also, they mentioned Tibet. Man, what if Conner is Arrows version of Damien?!

Edit: ALSO HOLY SHIT I JUST GOT TO THE END!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I'd like to say, in light of the new button:

Hydra can go fuck itself.
    Seriously, though. Hydra is the WORST.

• Options
    Why isn't Arrow on Hulu yet why isn't Arrow on Hulu yet I need to know what's going onnnn

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Holy shit, Arrow tonight

Just

Holy shit

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Chaykin is an art criminal

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    When I read the Chaykin stuff in Immortal Iron Fist

At first I thought I was looking at Steve Rogers or something, and got confused as to why he was showing up

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    When I read the Chaykin stuff in Immortal Iron Fist

At first I thought I was looking at Steve Rogers or something, and got confused as to why he was showing up

That was my only problem with the Chaykin Iron Fist special. I mean, I liked Aja a bunch, but he had the exact same problems there that he has in Hawkeye.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    You and me, Wyborn. You and me.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Man, I just did the tally, and even without the one-shots, I'm up to over a dozen comics a month in July. Not bad for a guy who's first real comic was Gillen's Iron Man #5
    Over a dozen?

Hahahahahahaha

My pull list for July:
    The Legendary Star Lord 1
    Storm 1
    Spider-Man 2099 1
    Rocket Raccoon 1
    Original Sin 5
    Original Sin 6
    Original Sin 5.1
    Original Sin 5.2
    Original Sin 5.3
    Original Sin 5.4
    Original Sin 5.5
    Original Sins 2
    Amazing Spider-Man 4
    Amazing Spider-Man 1.3
    Daredevil 5
    Avengers 32
    Avengers 33
    Mighty Avengers 12
    Uncanny Avengers 22
    Secret Avengers 5
    Secret Avengers 6
    Avengers Undercover 7
    New Avengers 21
    Avengers World 9
    Avengers World 10
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 3
    All-New Ultimates 5
    All-New Ghost Rider 5
    Black Widow 8
    Guardians of the Galaxy 17
    Iron Fist: Living Weapon 4
    Moon Knight 5
    Thunderbolts 28
    Ms. Marvel 6
    New Warriors 7
    She-Hulk 6
    Silver Surfer 5
    The Punisher 8
    Thor: God of Thunder 24
    All-New X-Men 29
    All-New X-Men 30
    Amazing X-Men 9
    Magneto 6
    Magneto 7
    Cyclops 3
    All-New X-Factor 10
    All-New X-Factor 11
    100th Anniversary Special: Avengers
    100th Anniversary Special: Fantastic Four
    100th Anniversary Special: Guardians of the Galaxy
    Low 1
    Black Science 7
    Manifest Destiny 8
    Shutter 4

I have a problem

Good God...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Blankzilla, I count 54 comics up there. If every trade is $2.99 you are spending near $162 on comics.

Jesus Christ

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah

I'm pretty comfortable with the pace I'm at

I end up with at least one book every week, I think the most I've had to pick up in a week was four

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    What the fuck, Arrow.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    @Blankzilla, I count 54 comics up there. If every trade is $2.99 you are spending near $162 on comics.

Jesus Christ
    Most of those are 3.99, but I also sell thedigital codes for 1.75-2.65 a pop

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I finally got my hands on the Sentry book and man, (unfortunately) knowing where it's all going, this is REALLY good stuff. It must have been amazing to read as it was coming out.

• Options
    I watched the latest Arrow

What

What

WHAT

WHAAAAAAAT

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Hey, should I just have my brother borrow Saga vol 1-3 now? Or wait for some more volumes?

• Options
    Seriously Arrow

Fuckin' seriously

That episode just dropped like nineteen fucking bombs on the audience

What the fuck's going to happen in the last three goddamn episodes?!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Hey, should I just have my brother borrow Saga vol 1-3 now? Or wait for some more volumes?

Buy Saga. Now.

Saga is the best book on the stands, and every second without it is a wasted second.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Buy Saga. Now.

Saga is the best book on the stands, and every second without it is a wasted second.

I already own volumes 1-3. I was asking if I should have my brother borrow them now, or wait until there's more story. I'm not sure if the end of Volume 3 was a good enough breaking point for a several month wait.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind, looks like there was a several month wait between issues 18 and 19, so the next trade is probably a year away. I'll just have him borrow what I have already.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

Buy Saga. Now.

I already own volumes 1-3. I was asking if I should have my brother borrow them now, or wait until there's more story. I'm not sure if the end of Volume 3 was a good enough breaking point for a several month wait.

Give him them now.

Volume 3 settles all the plot for a bit, after all. It ends with a timeskip, which is prime point for a break.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am home for a few days and dug through some of my Dad's (and Uncle's) old comics. I found a few interesting ones.

I found a lot of 2099 stuff, Punisher/Spider-Man/X-Men/Doom so I'm going to take a look a look at those. I also want to read Secret Wars. He has the crossover issue of the X-Men and Teen Titans too, that might be interesting.

There is a ton of DC stuff as well but I'm not sure what to pick out from there. He does have Batman: Year One which I will re-read.
    Also Batman: Year Two.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Doom 2099 was super rad

Didn't really get into any if the others

This discussion has been closed.