As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Comedown, I was unprepared. How do you cope?

PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel[Prime]Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in PAX General Discussion
This was my first PAX. Every year I was either too broke, too busy or too unlucky to get tickets. But this year I managed to get everything lined up. I did a hotelshare and met some fantastic people, and one became my PAX Buddy. We hunted Pins, got her book signed (the Strippers did awesome faces on the inside back) and saw a load of panels.

Monday arrived far too soon, and after the Omegathon we headed back to the hotel and they packed up, we said goodbye and they left. Pretty much the second the door closed it hit me that this awesome experience was over and seemed far too quick. It was almost grief, I missed people I had only just met and they weren't even out of the hotel. I wanted to spend more time talking bollocks with my Buddy.

The evening was spent with chocolate cake and sci-fi. It's only now I feel back to normal, and even writing this brings on twinges. I've watched PATV to know it happens. But I wasn't expecting it to be so soon, so sudden and so visceral.

How do others deal with it? Does it always happen?

PedroAsani on

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    Yes, PAX come down is the worst. Will Wheaton described his "jealously" at the first PAX East, essentially saying that if you've never experienced PAX before, you now only have to wait six months instead of one year. IMO, Prime is always the best, and this year's Prime was particularly good - a combination of new systems launching and playable on the show floor, pin trading on a massive scale (it was way more fun with more PA people involved), Strip Search people being highly accessible, awesome BYOC/PC Freeplay/Console Freeplay, League of Legends championships...all in all, just more to do than ever before and more fun.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    You have what we commonly refer to as PPD, or Post PAX Depression. It'll stick around for a while.

Hell, I broke down crying like a baby after the first East was over, and all my internet friends that carpooled with me went home!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Get on IRC, stay on the forums, watch the twitch streams and or old PAC DVD's. Browse the blogs and stories from the community. Attend and organize meet ups. Save up, make plans, prepare for next PAX. These are the things that can fight it off. Hundreds of thousands have survived PPD before you, and remember, there will always be another, even better, PAX for you someday.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    It always happens, man. Every time you go to one and you get that ticket, the excitement starts to build. The trip there is always awesome, and once you're in your hotel room everything starts to hit that soon you're going to be having the time of your life. Then, in a blink of an eye, its Sunday (or Monday in your case), and you're walking out of the Omegathon. I've been going to PAX for 3 years, and it hasn't NOT happened to me once. Always a sad thing to walk away from the convention center, especially with the gigantic "Welcome Home" banners hanging around.

However, you could always try to hit up some local conventions around you! I'm out in NY, so come October, New York Comic Con is coming, and it usually brings the same feels that PAX does. Any convention is always such an awesome time that its a little upsetting having to leave and return back to not always having fun and meeting awesome people that share your interests.

The good news, though? There's more PAX's for you to go to, and Prime will be back sooner then you think!

• Options
    GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    I do the NYCC route myself, but that place doesn't quite capture pax. It's got the glitz and glam, but man does it make you wish there was a huge tabletop area or something. NYCC is much more focused on being a trade show and Pax is focus more on being a gaming convention. It definitely helps to stave off PPD.

The worst thing about PPD is when another Pax is going on and you're not there. It's pretty awful :O

• Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    I do the NYCC route myself, but that place doesn't quite capture pax. It's got the glitz and glam, but man does it make you wish there was a huge tabletop area or something. NYCC is much more focused on being a trade show and Pax is focus more on being a gaming convention. It definitely helps to stave off PPD.

The worst thing about PPD is when another Pax is going on and you're not there. It's pretty awful :O

I get you. Its not the exact same feeling as Pax, but it still is fun. I'm the type of person that just enjoys conventions of any variety, so yeah. :P

You're so right about the last bit, though. It sucks watching Prime and AUS go on and knowing how awesome it is, but not being able to get there.

• Options
    Cutler PainCutler Pain Registered User new member
    OMG the self help group I was looking for!!!

I was a crying mess at the airport, wrote this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/182611/omg-i-m-hungover

Now I walk around my life like I just got slapped in the face really hard...but it feels good :)

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I just watched all the PAX videos on Youtube. It kind of helped, but I still miss my PAX buddy. Running around together all weekend chasing the Staff and just enjoying all on offer was the most fun I have had in years. Now I have to wait a year to do it again?

• Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    I would love it if they added another show...perhaps around the January time frame. I'd say 2015 is more likely for that, however.

• Options
    Axon wrote: »
    I would love it if they added another show...perhaps around the January time frame. I'd say 2015 is more likely for that, however.

I commented in the thread about moving PAX out of Seattle that I suspect they will add two more PAXes eventually. One in the UK for Europe, and one in Japan/South Korea. Green and Purple.

I don't think they will add a third US PAX. For all the requests from people for a Middle, Southern or Central PAX, the feel is that they are trying to cover more markets. Bi-coastal works for Disney, after all.

With PAX accommodating League of Legends and the talk about the rise of eSports, it isn't a stretch to imagine PAX Asia hosting SC2, DOTA2 and LoL.

More PAX, more awesome.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    This has been my fifth PAX, and pretty much every year the trick is to get home and go get wasted drunk so I pass out and can forget for a while.

Really the key is to get in touch with everyone you met and talk with them, participate in the community more, and think about all the stuff you wished you could do this time that you will do next time!

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Alazull wrote: »
    This has been my fifth PAX, and pretty much every year the trick is to get home and go get wasted drunk so I pass out and can forget for a while.

Really the key is to get in touch with everyone you met and talk with them, participate in the community more, and think about all the stuff you wished you could do this time that you will do next time!

I'm going to have to try this. I'm hoping that my move to Seattle will allow me to keep in touch with people more easily than being in the UK.

• Options
    BeardedPotatoBeardedPotato Registered User regular
    Funny you mention this. I actually went from obsessing over pins at PAX to obsessing over pins on the forums. Didn't seem to notice the transitions as much that way.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »

This. The real appeal of PAX is the attendees. The good news is there are awesome people who'd love to hang out with you hidden everywhere, waiting to be found.

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I've only gone to 2 a year (East and Prime every year since 2011), so I may not have experienced the year long withdrawal symptoms. The forum community here helps a lot actually, being able to share and vicariously experience different perspectives on PAX is pretty cool.

Going to 4 days for Prime also really, really helps: I felt like I accomplished a lot this year, and had more time to breathe between events.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Funny you mention this. I actually went from obsessing over pins at PAX to obsessing over pins on the forums. Didn't seem to notice the transitions as much that way.

I did this too. PAX Aus was my first PAX and best con/expo I've been to. Afterwards I felt like "How can I go back to work and my normal life after this?".

Seven weeks overseas helped ;)

But once Prime rolled around I could feel the excitement through the forums. Then Pin Pals became a thing and now I'm checking that forum every day and feeling a little withdrawal when there's nothing new there. But in other ways it helps.

Can't wait for PAX Aus 2014 :)

Oh, P.S. at PAX Aus someone suggested PAX Singapore. Jerry said he thought they have room in the year for one more PAX. He said something like that he had not considered Singapore but it intrigued him and he would think about it.

Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Options
    Agreed, Pin Pals and such have helped a lot. That and deciding to go to PAX East makes it more bearable.

• Options
    AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Yep, the pins have been a great reason to keep active and motivated in the PA community. I love how the community has got together to help each other out with collecting while giving a reason to meet new people with common interests. Very cool!

PAX AUS was my first ever pax, I wasn't sure what I was going to see (apart from watching videos from prime/east) so I only bought one day tickets for my brothers and I. When we arrived, it didn't take too long to realize we should have got the 3 day passes. We will definitely be going all 3 (4 maybe?...) next year.

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    I think they'll never go past 4 PAX conventions, and I'd be surprised if they go past 3 any time soon.

PPD is most definitely a thing. My best solution is to keep in touch with the people you met, and remember that home is where the heart, or in this case, the geeks, is.

• Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular

Had to skip Prime for the first time in 2 years and I have never done East. It broke my heart

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I've gone to every PAX East and plan to go to them as long as I can. I've done Prime in 2012 and 2013, and I'm iffy if I can afford it this year, I want to go so badly but... urgh, I have to get through East first.

• Options
    HearthsingerHearthsinger Actor/Writer NYCRegistered User regular
    Oh man. I am experiencing the worst "drop" after PAX East this weekend. It was an amazing experience (as it is every year), but this year was especially great between the amazing people we met, getting to do our Eyrewood cosplay, hanging out with the PA staff, and having Mike personally put us on the list to play Thornwatch because he loved our costumes so much. It was an incredible experience that will be unique to this year because of our cosplay efforts and I am so grateful to everyone who made the weekend unforgettable. I'm still buzzing with energy but it seemed like it all came and went so fast! Returning to my day to day life is just... ugh. I tried playing some WoW tonight and watching some PA: The Series, but ultimately I know it'll be a year till I get those feelings back again and even then, I don't think it will be the same just by virtue of the particular experience we had this year. It seems like a dream now. #Halp :(

• Options
    I don't think I have had mine yet, I am still in travel mode. I certainly miss people already, but the idea that PAX East is over hasn't really sunk in yet.

Your cosplay was awesome, I spoke to the Vantage Point guys and it's likely it will be on the East episode, however briefly. Any chance of it making it's way to Prime this year?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Aw thanks! And wwwwhoaa. That's bananas! I would die haha :) I've never been to prime but we've definitely talked about going. It's just a long way from NYC. If we go to prime or south, we'd have to ship a few elements (that are unwieldy in travel) ahead. It's definitely been a conversation topic though.

Hearthsinger on
  • Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    I used to get bummed at the end of a PAX, but these days I'm just more appreciative of the experience and the ability to reflect back on it with fondness once it's done. Some of it likely has a lot to do with simply getting older, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that there's sort of a level of con saturation these days. 2 weeks before PAX, I was at ECCC. Next week, I've my choice of either Wondercon in Anaheim or Norwescon (and Sakuracon) here in Seattle (still haven't decided whether to travel to Anaheim this weekend or not). SDCC, GenCon, PAX Aus, BlizzCon, Prime, BGG Con, Essen, Origins, Sasquatch....the list just goes on and on. We're actually to a point that we're cutting back on our nerd conventions because it's reaching a point of too much of a good thing - gotta schedule some beach or cruise ship time and some international fun somewhere in the midst of all of it. There's *always* something nerdy on deck (though admittedly, it does help if you live on the West coast, particularly Seattle).

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    With the internet nowadays, you never really have to lose touch. Get some emails, some phone numbers, some twitter handles, etc. Get hyped for the next PAX you'll be attending. Take away from this experience that you had a good one once and you can have a good one some time in the future.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Lnrt87Lnrt87 KansasRegistered User regular
    I'm just sitting here at work bored and my mind keeps wandering back to PAX. Business better pick up soon or I might lose it.

• Options
    Yeah. I work in the service industry at my "day job." And when someone gave me lip today, in my head I was all, "Biatch, I am a Daughter of the Eyrewood." I just miss being on equal footing with everyone and being surrounded by amazing people constantly.

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    When I went to Prime, I lived in Tacoma, so it was an easy drive. This year I flew to Boston, so the big shock back to the "real world" was dealing with people in the airport. It immediately got me back into "I hate people mode" while PAX does the exact opposite. PAX is the magical time that makes me happy and allows me to love my fellow man. Trap me in a giant metal tube with stinky inconsiderate human beings and it all goes away.

• Options
    zealezeale Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    My coping mechanism is beginning to prepare for the next PAX by planning the trip! Since all of them are quite a journey for me, researching hotels, tourist attractions, etc is a way to keep myself in the PAX mood. I'm really hoping I can make Prime happen (may not have enough vacation time left), but I'm definitely going to make South, so it's only 9 short months away!

dgiab0m7h15x.png

• Options
    zeale wrote: »
    My coping mechanism is beginning to prepare for the next PAX by planning the trip! Since all of them are quite a journey for me, researching hotels, tourist attractions, etc is a way to keep myself in the PAX mood. I'm really hoping I can make Prime happen (may not have enough vacation time left), but I'm definitely going to make South, so it's only 9 short months away!

You can definitely segment: if you prefer the keynote over the Omegathon finale, take the Friday and if you prefer the finale, take the Monday instead.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    This year I stayed until Monday morning, playing at the Westin for as long as I could and leaving at my leisure the next day.

I found that it helped avoiding my usual bout of Post PAX Depression. I think it's because I did not feel yanked away from the event as usual.

Roll20 is a great way to keep in touch with other PAXers if you want to play all kinds of RPGs.

If you kept any business cards, now is a great time for you to do your homework and check them out. Remember to greenlight the stuff that looked great.

Last but not least, you may want to take down some notes on your trip to help you prepare for next year. This would have been better to do sooner after you came back, but better late than never. This also helped me cope a bit :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Heroin. I find that to be a good step down drug

Really though. I just keep in touch with local pax peeps and try to do things with them.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Really though. I just keep in touch with local pax peeps and try to do things with them.

PAX attendees can also bring back more gaming to their home towns! Most cities have a decent to strong selection of board game stores (or hobby stores that carry board games), and video games are obviously everywhere at this point: it's definitely doable to round up some friends and/or organize local community gaming events.

The hashtag playlist feature coming to Titanfall may start a trend too, I can see #PAX becoming a trending playlist during each event as soon as Prime rolls around (if Respawn has the feature out by then).

• Options
    This helped :) Someone interviewed us about our costumes this year and it captured the moment when Mike stumbled upon us and my heart grew ten sizes. https://youtube.com/watch?v=cFfqDkmA-Fw

• Options
    Bumping this, because I am sat in a hotel suffering again. My PAX Buddy of this year has just gotten on a plane, and I miss her more than I thought I would, despite being a veteran of this now (3rd PAX, dammit).

It's weird making friends so intensely this way, only to have them return to another part of the world hours away. We were together almost 24 hours a day since Wednesday night.

I'm going to watch all the footage of PAX that I can, which will help with the regular post-PAX comedown. But it's weird to have people disappear like this.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    PAX hasn't ended for me. Today I'm going to the Paul Allen Flying Heritage Museum with some friends and then either today or tomorrow we're hitting up the Boeing Museum of Flight. I don't fly back until Thursday.
    zepherin wrote: »
    Heroin. I find that to be a good step down drug

Pretty much. Get their Skype/email/whatever and keep playing games with em. All the people I hang out with at PAX I also game with online all year so the party never stops.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    HondaCivetHondaCivet Registered User regular
    I was crying before I had even walked out of the convention center, haha (then again I am the easiest crier ever). It's really jarring going back into the "real world." PAX makes us nerds into the majority and makes it OK to openly be excited about "nerdy" stuff for a few days and having to leave that is awful. It also sucks going back to work instead of just having to make a schedule between panels, expo hall, food, etc. all day! Perhaps fortunately I'm moving tomorrow so I don't have time to think about it much but it'll still take several days to get out of the funk I think. We brought back lots of games and stuff, not sure if going through those will make me feel better or worse.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I watched the Penny Arcade reality web series today. Not all of it, but several episodes. It's on their website and YouTube. It helped a lot. I also don't have to go back to work until Thursday so only two days of total reality before the weekend, thank goodness.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    StarYoshiStarYoshi Game Designer / Data Scientist USARegistered User regular
    I cope by taking all of the creative energy I've absorbed and focusing it on making games :P

Attendance
    PAX Prime / PAX Dev 2014
    PAX Prime 2013
    PAX Prime 2009