As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Print Run Guesses

thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Pinny Arcade
I have no inside information, just thought I'd put together some guesses for everyone to debate.

Hearthstone Cards: 10000+ (edit: probably 4000)
Garruk: 5000+ (edit: probably 3000)
WotC and Blizzard are going to have big booths with lots of people going through for demos, so I would expect them to have a lot of pins to give out.

PAX East 2014 Set: 3000+
Huge stab in the dark on this.

Anubis: 2000+
Project Spark: 2000+
I think that there would be fewer people trying to get pins for Age of Empires and Project Spark, but still a pretty good amount.

PAX East 10th Anniversary Pin: 1200
This was officially posted.

D&D: 1000 (edit: probably 4000)
Leeroy Jenkins: 1000
KI Fightstick: 1000
These all have an added degree of difficulty to obtain, so there probably won't be that many.

Alien Hominid: 1000
Chicken Logo: 1000
Golden Whale: 1000
Pink Knight: 1000
4000 total is still a lot for one company.

Broodhollow: 1000
MC Frontalot: 1000
These seem like they would be similar to Prime's Professor Pigglesworth, Skull Fart, and Chainsawsuit.

Camp Weedonwantcha: 1000
This was officially posted- http://campcomic.com/news/post/two-announcements-today

Table Titans: 100-800 (edit: 687 - 313 pledged more than $100)
Around 200 of these will probably go to Kickstarter rewards, but we don't know if the minimum is 300 or 1000.

thx42 on

• 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    I honestly doubt that any company would order 5K-10K of these. I have someone I MIGHT be able to ask on the Hearthstone cards for a general idea...but I can't see them doing that many.

• thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    The main reason I guessed so many is because I think they're giving the Hearthstone pin away for demoing any of the games - Hearthstone on iPad, the WoW expansion, and Heroes of the Storm.

• DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    For reference, I believe at PAX Prime, several people at the Ubisoft booth said there were 2000 Rayman pins, and those ran out I think Day 3.

Skullfart and Chainsaw dude were both 1000 pin runs and did not sell out until they were put online after PAX. So we can probably expect the same.

I'm sure Behemoth will have a crapload more pins than 1000 of each, they are also bringing all their pins from their current set. We talked to several people running the booth at Prime and they all said the pins were vastly outselling any other merch they had available.

WOTC didn't run out of pins for the demo at Prime, so we can expect similar I'd guess (they've had left-overs from East and Aus last year at Prime. The D&D pin sounds like you only get it if you go to the one panel.

The game publishers providing pins (i.e. Microsoft, Blizzard) are kind of a crapshoot. At prime Sony didn't run out of second sun pins, Wildstar ran out of their pins mid way through (Can't remember if it was Day 2 or Day 3). Hidden Path didn't run out of their pins.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    DaveRH wrote: »
    For reference, I believe at PAX Prime, several people at the Ubisoft booth said there were 2000 Rayman pins, and those ran out I think Day 3.

Skullfart and Chainsaw dude were both 1000 pin runs and did not sell out until they were put online after PAX. So we can probably expect the same.

I'm sure Behemoth will have a crapload more pins than 1000 of each, they are also bringing all their pins from their current set. We talked to several people running the booth at Prime and they all said the pins were vastly outselling any other merch they had available.

WOTC didn't run out of pins for the demo at Prime, so we can expect similar I'd guess (they've had left-overs from East and Aus last year at Prime. The D&D pin sounds like you only get it if you go to the one panel.

The game publishers providing pins (i.e. Microsoft, Blizzard) are kind of a crapshoot. At prime Sony didn't run out of second sun pins, Wildstar ran out of their pins mid way through (Can't remember if it was Day 2 or Day 3). Hidden Path didn't run out of their pins.

Rayman was only 1000, and they saved a certain amount for each day, and they ran out Monday.

Skull Fart iirc was never put online, I have no idea if it sold out though (Kris never responded to tweets on the matter, I wouldn't be surprised if he maybe had a couple at East to trade though).

Chainsaw Suit is still available on the site for purchase (You're thinking of Professor Pigglesworth which sold out when that was up on LRR's site)

The Behemoth still had pins left, so I'm hoping they have the Prime ones available at East.

The inFamous pin supposedly ran out on Sunday/Monday (I've heard this from a few people on here), I got mine Sunday so idk when.

The Wildstar guys were being twats, the employees had a couple of Drakens on them but were making me trade only some of my rarer pins at the time because the Drakens were on eBay for $50+ at the time

Hidden Path absolutely ran out of the Juggernaut pins, because I was the next person in line when they gave away the last one. The dude who won it ended up giving it to me though because he saw the look of anger in my eyes. Idk about Jin though.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    If i'm doing my math right 10k pins would be them giving out something like 70 ever 10 minutes. I've no idea how long the demo will be or how many stations they will have but that seems like an awful lot. Probably more like 1/4 to 1/2 of that. Keep in mind these booths only have about 8 hours of demo time per day. Unless you are giving them away to anyone that passes by (which they don't want to do) it takes time to give out each pin with a demo or spinning a wheel or buying at a vending machine and that time limits how many you can give out.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • AyefkayAyefkay Queensland, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how many can be seated in the room where Acq Inc will be held? estimated guess that would be the maximum amount of D&D pins given out if everyone gets one

My PinnyPals Digital Lanyard: Now Up to date! https://pinnypals.com/pals/Ayefkay

8fuuo_RK.png
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    If i'm doing my math right 10k pins would be them giving out something like 70 ever 10 minutes. I've no idea how long the demo will be or how many stations they will have but that seems like an awful lot. Probably more like 1/4 to 1/2 of that. Keep in mind these booths only have about 8 hours of demo time per day. Unless you are giving them away to anyone that passes by (which they don't want to do) it takes time to give out each pin with a demo or spinning a wheel or buying at a vending machine and that time limits how many you can give out.

Well from what I remember of the Prime WotC booth, they had about two dozen demo stations, and it took about 5-10 minutes, depending on how familiar you are with the MTG mechanics. For East they run from 10am-6pm for 3 days. 24 hours, 24 demo stations each doing 6 an hour. 3,500 Pins would do them just fine. Obviously if they adjust the booth size then the Pin numbers change, but I don't see anyone going through 10k Pins without throwing fistfuls into a crowd, and I think there would be insurance issues involved when you start hurling metal objects at strangers faces.

• fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • odinson83odinson83 CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    @fishfishmonkeyhat Best response to a post....ever.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Ayefkay wrote: »
    Anyone know how many can be seated in the room where Acq Inc will be held? estimated guess that would be the maximum amount of D&D pins given out if everyone gets one

http://www.advantageboston.com/bcec/floor-plans-and-specs/space-finder.aspx?rId=544

c. 5000

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's a nice sized place.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I almost want to go to the AI panel just to get two of the pin (since my brother-in-law will be with me). I will then use them for trade. Ha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    5000 is actually a large number of pins, I didn't think it would be able to hold that many people. :)

Behemoth confirmed that the 4 series 2 pins are 1000 each - http://blog.thebehemoth.com/2014/03/24/pax-east-pinny-arcade-pins/

• timebeingtimebeing Registered User regular
    feel hearthstone and WotC will be pretty easy to get. I was surprised how easy they were last year. By day 3 there was no line for WotC, I ended up with 4 or 5 of them.

edited April 2014
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Beker wrote: »

Well from what I remember of the Prime WotC booth, they had about two dozen demo stations, and it took about 5-10 minutes, depending on how familiar you are with the MTG mechanics. For East they run from 10am-6pm for 3 days. 24 hours, 24 demo stations each doing 6 an hour. 3,500 Pins would do them just fine. Obviously if they adjust the booth size then the Pin numbers change, but I don't see anyone going through 10k Pins without throwing fistfuls into a crowd, and I think there would be insurance issues involved when you start hurling metal objects at strangers faces.

The Magic booth at PAX East had 16 stations this year with demos taking around 10 minutes, so that adds up to 2304 pins.

I think the blizzard booth had:
    8 Hearthstone stations
    4 Diablo
    8 WoW
    25 Heroes of the Storm
    Times seem to vary, but probably averaged around 20 minutes. All of that adds up to ~3240 pins.

The Age of Empires booth had 6 stations with demos taking around 5 minutes, plus they were giving pins away if you got your photo taken. Altogether maybe around 2000.

It's crazy that one of the hardest pins to get (D&D) may have the biggest run (5000).

thx42 on
  • DefaultGenDefaultGen Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    DefaultGen wrote: »
    If it's not already common knowledge, I saw the boxes numbered out of 10 for Project Spark and out of 8 for D&D. Each box was 500 pins.

D&D I can believe, but wasn't Project Spark confirmed to only have 1000 pins total by Microsoft themselves?

edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • DiffusionDiffusion Pin Cushion OmahaRegistered User regular
    Project spark had little plushes they were giving out too along with the pins, so he may of just seen pins in one of the plush boxes too. Just a guess though. Pretty sure they only had 1000 Leeroys as Leeroy only went out I think 3 times every day (with possibility of a 4th one day) and brought out 100 of the cards to give for the pin with him.

Everyone's favorite "Bag of Pinny", Proud member of The Pin Cushions, Prinny hat pinster.

My pins are right here!
    Feel free to send me a trade request!
  • sanchx32sanchx32 Montoursville, PARegistered User regular
    Kristin said the main panel was 3500 seats. They had enough to give one D&D pin to each person plus the ones that were given out early. That pin is not as rare as people made it out to be, for Friday and Saturday maybe, but after the panel the pin was everywhere.

Digital Lanyard

“Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda, Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace, 1999
  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    sanchx32 wrote: »
    Kristin said the main panel was 3500 seats. They had enough to give one D&D pin to each person plus the ones that were given out early. That pin is not as rare as people made it out to be, for Friday and Saturday maybe, but after the panel the pin was everywhere.

With D&D there definitely seemed to be a false scarcity. Mainly because it's a cool looking pin and folks just kind of assumed it would be rare.

• Shadowscars22Shadowscars22 Registered User regular
    Diffusion wrote: »
    Project spark had little plushes they were giving out too along with the pins, so he may of just seen pins in one of the plush boxes too. Just a guess though. Pretty sure they only had 1000 Leeroys as Leeroy only went out I think 3 times every day (with possibility of a 4th one day) and brought out 100 of the cards to give for the pin with him.

I would say he probably had less than 100 at each outing, as it lasted for about 10 minutes and he gave one every 7-10 seconds or so. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Visit my website, thepintrader.com, the first Pinny Arcade store!

I would say he probably had less than 100 at each outing, as it lasted for about 10 minutes and he gave one every 7-10 seconds or so. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I have insider info on that so I can tell you for sure.

He had 100 each trip out, x 3 trips each day. They had 900 total for PAX, and they have 100 for whatever they want in the future(whether that be for upper level people in the company or giving out for something else who knows).

Soo technically there are 1000 Leeroy's, but only 900 are actually out currently.

00Fayt00 wrote: »

I have insider info on that so I can tell you for sure.

He had 100 each trip out, x 3 trips each day. They had 900 total for PAX, and they have 100 for whatever they want in the future(whether that be for upper level people in the company or giving out for something else who knows).

Soo technically there are 1000 Leeroy's, but only 900 are actually out currently.

Nice, thank you for the confirmation!

edited April 2023

DefaultGen on
  • ericleoneericleone Connecticut, USARegistered User regular
    There are 4000 D&D pins. I spied on the box it said # of 8, 500 pieces.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It is entirely possible that a lot of these pins will also be distributed at Aus and Prime later in the year. The only one I know for sure that won't be is the WotC Garruk pin since apparently they're releasing the other half of him as a Prime pin.

(you'd think Wizards would use the BFM for that kind of pin, but I digress)

YL9WnCY.png
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    And on the MTG Pin, while it won't be officially given out for demo at Prime, almost guaranteed staff members will have it for trade. My experience (though maybe it's just me) has been that it's been very easy to get previous MTG pins.

Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that a lot of these pins will also be distributed at Aus and Prime later in the year. The only one I know for sure that won't be is the WotC Garruk pin since apparently they're releasing the other half of him as a Prime pin. (you'd think Wizards would use the BFM for that kind of pin, but I digress)

I was just thinking they should do that! That's going to be awesome, putting them side by side!

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    I think the print runs for the official show sets tend to be pretty high: I've always been told at the merch booth that there's no limit (I stock up to have pins for trade, would buy less to avoid depriving anyone of a show set if the staff said there was), and don't think they have fully sold out so far. Wandering around the floor on Monday afternoon for Prime 2013, it looked like there were still a lot of pins available at the main merch booth.
    ericleone wrote: »

Makes sense, that's roughly the capacity of the Main Theatre where Acquisitions Inc was held.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
    Headhunter wrote: »
    I think the print runs for the official show sets tend to be pretty high: I've always been told at the merch booth that there's no limit (I stock up to have pins for trade, would buy less to avoid depriving anyone of a show set if the staff said there was), and don't think they have fully sold out so far. Wandering around the floor on Monday afternoon for Prime 2013, it looked like there were still a lot of pins available at the main merch booth.

Makes sense, that's roughly the capacity of the Main Theatre where Acquisitions Inc was held.

They put a limit on the PAX East set quite quickly this year, 2 per person. They sold out at 11am on the 13th.

They put a limit on the PAX East set quite quickly this year, 2 per person. They sold out at 11am on the 13th.

I wasn't even aware they sold out, I bought 5 sets on Friday AM and then picked up an AI set because I ran out of trade fodder to get the rest of the staff pins.

I wasn't even aware they sold out, I bought 5 sets on Friday AM and then picked up an AI set because I ran out of trade fodder to get the rest of the staff pins.

Brian told one of our group early Friday about 8:30 that they were never supposed to let us buy more then two of the East sets. They had miscommunications though about that so it DID happen occasionally. It wasn't supposed to happen though as they were afraid of running out from the get go.

Brian told one of our group early Friday about 8:30 that they were never supposed to let us buy more then two of the East sets. They had miscommunications though about that so it DID happen occasionally. It wasn't supposed to happen though as they were afraid of running out from the get go.

They need to learn to print more. Pins for all!!

They need to learn to print more. Pins for all!!

Hmm, I wonder if they printed less for East 2014 than Prime 2013. Hopefully pins for all again at Prime 2014 (I traded my East 2014 sets back to the staff for their pins, so they're definitely in circulation at least).

• SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    My two favorite pins from PAX are the Leeroy and the D&D. I've got two of each. In fact, at one point, I traded one for another. I'm in no way surprised Leeroy was that limited, though I wish there were more.

SerpicoBC wrote: »
    My two favorite pins from PAX are the Leeroy and the D&D. I've got two of each. In fact, at one point, I traded one for another. I'm in no way surprised Leeroy was that limited, though I wish there were more.

I heard or read somewhere that the guy portraying Leeroy was getting increasingly alarmed at how pin fans were swarming him...! It's a neat idea, but I hope that game specific pins are a little more straight forward to earn at future shows (trying to find 1 person you don't know at a show of 70K+ seems super hard).