As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMABaton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
edited April 2014 in Social Entropy++
2076883-jeff_gerstmann.jpg
You guys see this stuff about hitman go?

Erin The Red on

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    video games are for perverts

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    You telling me that man up there is a pervert?
    Huh Ronnie? Huh?

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    You telling me that man up there is a pervert?
    Huh Ronnie? Huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6G9smtj8Do
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF3RVXvqFYA

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    a dilemma regarding violence against women in upcoming game Sunless Sea by Failbetter Games:
    Sunless Sea, like Fallen London, takes a gender-blind approach. As part of that, whenever I write story that involves the player’s crew, I am deliberately alternating male and female pronouns for zailors: ‘Your crewman recovers, and you share a pleasant chat with her’, and so forth.
    This is often a bit double-takey because there were basically no female Victorian merchant sailors. But I’m cool with that – the double-take is part of the point. Sunless Sea is history-flavoured fantasy, not history.

I do, however, find myself hesitating at ‘You crack his mutinous skull with a blow from the gaff-hook’ vs ‘You crack her mutinous skull with a blow from the gaff-hook’. Violence directed at women makes me uncomfortable.

I can’t tell how much this is (i) retro chivalry, given I’m middle-aged and grew up in an era when men were taught to open doors for women (ii) an assumption that my avatar or other characters will be male, because I’m male (iii) a valid concern, because violence directed against women is An Issue in a way that violence directed against men isn’t.

I asked my team, and we’re split (interestingly, along generational lines) between ‘err on the side of caution’ and ‘equality should be consistent’. And of course, I can just write around it – it always happens that the men get their skulls stoven in with gaff-hooks in the prose – but even that absence is itself a choice.

http://sunlessseagame.com/equal-opportunity-injury

Thoughts?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I think if you sign up to be in a vidyagame, you gotta be ok with getting cracked in your mutinous skull with a gaff-hook. Seems like it comes with the territory.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    2624417-5783165364-SSWVG.gif2624417-5783165364-SSWVG.gif2624417-5783165364-SSWVG.gif2624417-5783165364-SSWVG.gif2624417-5783165364-SSWVG.gif2624417-5783165364-SSWVG.gif

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    What the shit was up with all the load times in that Kinect Sports thing? Holy shit.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Oh GREAT

I look away for FIVE MINUTES

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think if you sign up to be in a vidyagame, you gotta be ok with getting cracked in your mutinous skull with a gaff-hook. Seems like it comes with the territory.

Those gaff-hooks hate mutineers. Known fact.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    a dilemma regarding violence against women in upcoming game Sunless Sea by Failbetter Games:
    Sunless Sea, like Fallen London, takes a gender-blind approach. As part of that, whenever I write story that involves the player’s crew, I am deliberately alternating male and female pronouns for zailors: ‘Your crewman recovers, and you share a pleasant chat with her’, and so forth.
    This is often a bit double-takey because there were basically no female Victorian merchant sailors. But I’m cool with that – the double-take is part of the point. Sunless Sea is history-flavoured fantasy, not history.

I do, however, find myself hesitating at ‘You crack his mutinous skull with a blow from the gaff-hook’ vs ‘You crack her mutinous skull with a blow from the gaff-hook’. Violence directed at women makes me uncomfortable.

I can’t tell how much this is (i) retro chivalry, given I’m middle-aged and grew up in an era when men were taught to open doors for women (ii) an assumption that my avatar or other characters will be male, because I’m male (iii) a valid concern, because violence directed against women is An Issue in a way that violence directed against men isn’t.

I asked my team, and we’re split (interestingly, along generational lines) between ‘err on the side of caution’ and ‘equality should be consistent’. And of course, I can just write around it – it always happens that the men get their skulls stoven in with gaff-hooks in the prose – but even that absence is itself a choice.

Thoughts?

I think if you are involved in combat you can be hurt and if you want women in your game with combat then it's silly to exclude them

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    OK looking at the timestamps maybe it was more than five minutes

But STILL

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I think it's pretty silly to make a point of having women and then make a point of only killing the men.

• Options

Thoughts?

I think if you are involved in combat you can be hurt and if you want women in your game with combat then it's silly to exclude them

It's sort of like when women sign up to be police officers, soldiers, etc. they do so with the understanding that they are putting themselves into the same danger that the duders face. So joining up with a mutinous crew will get you just as cracked in the mutinous skull as a mutinous dude would.

• Options
    OK looking at the timestamps maybe it was more than five minutes

But STILL

There is a line
    (Woah woah woah woah)
    Toto-band-Africa-David-Paich-interview.jpg
    Must have a GB thread at allll times.
    (Woah woah woah woah)

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The fuck is Stick it to the Man

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Cool/funny puzzle game

there's a quicklook of it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

All I know is that Ryan North did the writing for it!

• Options
    Resogun continues to be the only PS+ PS4 game I would've been okay paying for

Stick It To The Man did not look good to me at all

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I want gifs of the weird movements Vinny was making his tennis man do near the end of that Kinect ql

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    giffingtool dot com

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Mercenary Kings is pretty good.
    I would say I like it better than Resogun, and the games I bought - Killzone, AC4, JustDance.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    HAIL RYAN DAVIS

Ryan%2BDavis.png

sig.gif
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    There's a weird thing going on where I look at new releases and then try to gauge when they'll go PS+.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Yeah, Puppeteer was a very obvious candidate for PS+ even when it came out.

I'm expecting that God of War game to be on Plus in the next few months.

• Options
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Hitman GO looks pretty sweet

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Gonna be honest

I miss the Bro button

• Options
    I am not convinced Jeff didn't make Putty Squad himself

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I want Gang Beasts as a PS+ game one month.
    It looks perfectly set up for a night of drinking and yelling at the TV with friends.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

It literally looks like a game that came in one of those "500 games!" discs in the early 90s

And it's 25 dollars

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Every Amiga game ever made looks like that.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Surprised we haven't gotten Knack on PS+ yet.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

Thoughts?

cracking anyone's skull with a gaff hook seems pretty unpleasant and unsettling really! Like that just makes me uncomfortable either way.

That being said, if these scenes are actually all written in a gender-blind approach it's probably(?) fine. Violence towards women in works of fiction, when troubling, usually is not just violence in a vacuum- there's typically some other creepy elements to it that wouldn't happen to a male character in the same situation, or it's presented in a completely different way.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    hailing hydra is so great, though

HAIL HYDRA

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    everyone misses the bro button. even hydra followers put up the brofist

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    everyone misses the bro button. even hydra followers put up the brofist

TWO brofists

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Hailing Hydra is the ravenest, too.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.