As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    A History of the Great Empires of Eve Online is a history book about the epic tale of what's been happening for the last ten years in the sci-fi MMORPG, Eve Online.

It's a story about war and politics and betrayal and of course, internet spaceships. Beyond that, I've searched extensively and I believe this may be the first history book ever written about humans living in a digital world.

Eve's game world consists of nearly 8000 star systems for players to do just about anything they can think of, but the 3500 or so systems in the outer rim are unique in that they can be taken over by the players. To conquer these systems players form armies consisting of thousands of people. To control those systems they form governments, entire local economies, and regional alliances.

There are dictators and deposed rulers, soldiers and generals, lies and propaganda, mercenaries and peacemakers, grand speeches and shady backroom deals. The book will focus on this portion of the game, known by the players as "nullsec" or "0.0 space."

The full story of the untamed frontiers of Eve is one of the great mysteries in video game history and I'm committed to making it understandable and accessible to everyone whether you've never heard of Eve or if you're a hardcore player.

This book will take readers from the very first day the servers switched on to the formation of the first regional alliances, through the Great Wars of 2004, 2007, and 2008, and into the modern era of huge power blocs of coalitions. It's a journey through the politics, warfare, and culture that have shaped Eve into the game we read about in the headlines today.

a Kickstarter just went up today for the first ever EVE Online history book

6F32U1X.png
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Would read the shit out of that book, if he does a good job of it

I want a good version of that to exist

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Griffin and Justin doing ersatz quicklooks has finally given me a reason to look at polygon.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    competitive smash still unable to play most stages, shocking no one

competitive smash still unable to play most stages, shocking no one

yeah I'm not sure why that guy was laughing or really I have no idea what just happened the last minute and a half

Of course that's gonna happen

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the idea of competitive smash just seems weird to me. Banning stages and items and all that takes away a lot of what makes the series fun to me. What's in that capsule? Did you just throw food or a bomb capsule to your friend? WHO KNOWS!

Yeah, the idea of competitive smash just seems weird to me. Banning stages and items and all that takes away a lot of what makes the series fun to me. What's in that capsule? Did you just throw food or a bomb capsule to your friend? WHO KNOWS!

Competitive smash is fun for the same reason other fighting games are fun

If MVC3 had invincibility stars, people would turn those off too

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    If competition rules don't make me more talented at playing the game everyone else plays then pass

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I was thinking that mvc3 with powerups actually sounds like a lot of fun

which then had me wishing sega would bring back powerstone

I generally hate fighting games, so I guess the items and crazy stages were what drew me to Smash Bros.
    So yeah I could see why people would like a more...pure? game.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

I generally hate fighting games, so I guess the items and crazy stages were what drew me to Smash Bros.
    So yeah I could see why people would like a more...pure? game.

it's not "more pure" so much as "less random"

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Random is fun too!

But I'm not big on competitive play.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It stops "a bomb-omb spawned right as I was punching I guess I lose" from being a thing

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    To me it's like banning item use in Mario Kart.

It may be a random element, but the stages and items are a huge part of what give the series it's identity. So people who want to strip that away confound me, because it comes across as wanting to play a game that isn't Smash Bros.

But whatever, it's popular enough that Nintendo is supporting the community so it is what it is. I'm just glad no one I know insists we play that way.

I guess if you wanna be King Videogames

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    random is fun when you're goofing around with your buddies

it is less fun when it costs you a shot at $500

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Mario Kart stops working if you remove its items though

Smash Brothers just becomes a different kind of game

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Yeah randomly spawning items, by design, will help/harm players to disparate amounts

Which can be great fun when you're goofing around but is pretty obtrusive if you're trying to have a test of skill

Over enough matches the random element would disappear but it's not like tournaments have time to let every match go best of 99

edited April 2014
    I ever tell you guys that I once formed a team for DoD : S at the door of the PC room at PAX06 and we got like third place?

They gave us one 1000 dollar Intel Core Extreme processor. We didn't even know each other's names. Took 2 hours to decide who would buy the damn thing from the others. Walked away with 250 bucks tho.

I didn't give any shits if we had won though because honestly Fuck Winning.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The only Xenoblade partymember AI that really isn't very good is Melia's.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    A History of the Great Empires of Eve Online is a history book about the epic tale of what's been happening for the last ten years in the sci-fi MMORPG, Eve Online.

It's a story about war and politics and betrayal and of course, internet spaceships. Beyond that, I've searched extensively and I believe this may be the first history book ever written about humans living in a digital world.

Eve's game world consists of nearly 8000 star systems for players to do just about anything they can think of, but the 3500 or so systems in the outer rim are unique in that they can be taken over by the players. To conquer these systems players form armies consisting of thousands of people. To control those systems they form governments, entire local economies, and regional alliances.

There are dictators and deposed rulers, soldiers and generals, lies and propaganda, mercenaries and peacemakers, grand speeches and shady backroom deals. The book will focus on this portion of the game, known by the players as "nullsec" or "0.0 space."

The full story of the untamed frontiers of Eve is one of the great mysteries in video game history and I'm committed to making it understandable and accessible to everyone whether you've never heard of Eve or if you're a hardcore player.

This book will take readers from the very first day the servers switched on to the formation of the first regional alliances, through the Great Wars of 2004, 2007, and 2008, and into the modern era of huge power blocs of coalitions. It's a journey through the politics, warfare, and culture that have shaped Eve into the game we read about in the headlines today.

a Kickstarter just went up today for the first ever EVE Online history book

this makes me really happy

also never read comments on eve articles unless you wanna see a bunch of dumb people talk about how you are an irl sociopath if you blow up an internet spaceship for fake money in a videogame

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    also i saw this in one of the linked articles

boson.jpg

i love hulkageddon

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg

It becomes a different game, and thus loses a ton of its unique identity.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man after seeing a ton of people play 2048 on campus I feel super bad for the Threes devs.

CYpGAPn.png

It may be a random element, but the stages and items are a huge part of what give the series it's identity. So people who want to strip that away confound me, because it comes across as wanting to play a game that isn't Smash Bros.

But whatever, it's popular enough that Nintendo is supporting the community so it is what it is. I'm just glad no one I know insists we play that way.

It's not "Not Smash Bros" if you turn the items off

It still has unique mechanics, characters and moves that no other game has

Threes is on Android now...

Why are people still playing the knockoffs?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I disagree

It's unique identity is, to me, in its damage system, its cast, and its unique combination of fighting game and 2d platformer mechanics

The silly items are just sprinkles on the ice cream

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

2048 is free

CYpGAPn.png

It's not "Not Smash Bros" if you turn the items off

It still has unique mechanics, characters and moves that no other game has

Well yeah but it isn't not smash bros it's just a different smash bros.

It's fine to play it however for sure though, no one should say one way or the other which is the right way to play.

edited April 2014
    Blankzilla wrote: »

2048 is free
    Oh well.

Fuck that.

Also fuck the android market for the idiotic way they sort their stupid stuff.

"Top Grossing?" I'll tell you what's gross about that and it ain't just their profits.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    The only Xenoblade partymember AI that really isn't very good is Melia's.

Okay, yes, good point.

IKknkhU.gif
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.psidevelopment.pacificfleet

This is one of the coolest games I've played on my tablet and it's so hard to actually find it.

Blankzilla wrote: »

2048 is free

I own both

2048 is a way better implementation of the same idea

It sucks that it's such a direct rip, but Threes is bloated and runs like crap on my brand new phone because it has a bunch of unnecessary art and effects

I disagree

It's unique identity is, to me, in its damage system, its cast, and its unique combination of fighting game and 2d platformer mechanics

The silly items are just sprinkles on the ice cream

Those are big parts of its identity but stages and items are also big parts of it.

You may not care about them, but they are.

So yes, taking those away absolutely takes away from what the game is, and leaves you with something different.

Are people who like that something different wrong? No.

Do I ever want to play with those people? No.

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Competitive smash and party smash might as well be two different games.

Competitive smash is a way better game than party smash.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
This discussion has been closed.