As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Finally trying to finish up Xenoblade.

I like the idea of this combat system, but I do not like it's execution very much. The tank (both Reyn and Dunban) has a lot of trouble holding aggro, there just doesn't seem to be enough healing available to keep up with the damage of the more powerful enemies, and it's often really unclear what Monado skill you're supposed to use to counter an enemy skill. Plus, it really sucks to have your whole party near death, so every single ability an enemy activates sets off your future-sight.

It just seems like an overly-difficult and punishing system considering how you're relying on two AI partners to do their jobs properly and not be totally dumb.

You're on that boss aren't you

You know, THAT boss

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Also are you using dunban to naked tank

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Competitive smash and party smash might as well be two different games.

Competitive smash is a way better game than party smash.

Yeah well, that's just like, your opinion man.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I love competitive smash

I love party smash

I don't see why i have to choose one and one is certainly not "better" than the other in any way that's not completely subjective.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I ever tell you guys that I once formed a team for DoD : S at the door of the PC room at PAX06 and we got like third place?

They gave us one 1000 dollar Intel Core Extreme processor. We didn't even know each other's names. Took 2 hours to decide who would buy the damn thing from the others. Walked away with 250 bucks tho.

I didn't give any shits if we had won though because honestly Fuck Winning.

Having a single unsplittable prize for a team seems like poor contest planning!

sig.gif
    SimBen wrote: »
    I ever tell you guys that I once formed a team for DoD : S at the door of the PC room at PAX06 and we got like third place?

They gave us one 1000 dollar Intel Core Extreme processor. We didn't even know each other's names. Took 2 hours to decide who would buy the damn thing from the others. Walked away with 250 bucks tho.

I didn't give any shits if we had won though because honestly Fuck Winning.

Having a single unsplittable prize for a team seems like poor contest planning!

They didn't have a plan! They just grabbed whatever they had left to give out.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I hope the new one has a character I actually main

I just kinda used anyone and wasn't really good with any particular character.

I wanted to main Ike but he stop being good after people figure the game out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014

Honestly I don't even think Smash is that great a party game.

When you compare it to the other nintendo party games it's probably the one that balances the playing field the least. A shitty player versus a good player will be less fun for the shitty player than it would be in Mario Kart or Mario Party.

Back in the ancient day when I used to have friends round to play video games if we had people around with a big gap in skill levels the newer players lost interest in Smash way faster than the other games.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    If your main isn't the random button you ain't smashin' w/bros

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    my favourite thing to do in MMOs is to jump to hard to reach places and dance there.

It is the most fun.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I really really hope Kirby is good in the new smash

He doesn't need to be the best like in 64, I was fine with how good he was in brawl

Just please oh please don't send him packing back to bottom tier like he was in melee

Bad players and good players doesn't matter if you get along well and are all treating it as a party game. Just one person playing for himself and not the enjoyment of the group can break that stuff down really fast.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It's funny

New smash character announcements always excite me

Even though I know that one way or another I'll always come crawling back to kirby

I really really hope Kirby is good in the new smash

He doesn't need to be the best like in 64, I was fine with how good he was in brawl

Just please oh please don't send him packing back to bottom tier like he was in melee

see, kirby is a motherfucker in party smash melee, where you just spam his standard throw and drive everyone nuts

but yeah in competitive smash he wasn't great

Melding wrote: »
    my favourite thing to do in MMOs is to jump to hard to reach places and dance there.

It is the most fun.

They should just make that give exp

Level up just by dancing in rare locations.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular

I've been switching between Reyn and Dunban.

IKknkhU.gif
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

disagree

A dance battle mmo!

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    If your main isn't the random button you ain't smashin' w/bros
    random stage, all items, all random characters, level 9 AIs if there are less than four players, five minute time match

the only way to play, IMO

Honestly I don't even think Smash is that great a party game.

When you compare it to the other nintendo party games it's probably the one that balances the playing field the least. A shitty player versus a good player will be less fun for the shitty player than it would be in Mario Kart or Mario Party.

Back in the ancient day when I used to have friends round to play video games if we had people around with a big gap in skill levels the newer players lost interest in Smash way faster than the other games.

Having Time matches with items on and Random everything is how you deal with disparity.

Hard to find someone who's good at Smash who will let you do that though.

sig.gif
    Ugh time match?

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular

It is the most fun.

or dancing in general.

I almost got SWTOR when i saw the bug that made you take no damage with /getdown or whatever. Dance tanking was the best thing.

When you're an orc you're an orc from your first battleaxe to your last dying breath.

pick stock or get rocked, son

Bad players and good players doesn't matter if you get along well and are all treating it as a party game. Just one person playing for himself and not the enjoyment of the group can break that stuff down really fast.

I dunno, I think even if everyone is being a good sport and not playing too hard people still generally enjoy it more if the distance between the top and the bottom feels smaller. And even with handicaps and random and all that the gap often feels insurmountable. Mario Kart is designed to make the gap between the worst player and the best player feel as small as possible. Which makes it a better party game.

Ugh time match?

Time match is little brother mode. Players who suck get to keep on playing. That's the whole point.

sig.gif

It is the most fun.

or dancing in general.

I almost got SWTOR when i saw the bug that made you take no damage with /getdown or whatever. Dance tanking was the best thing.
    Should make parachute pants an item that let you do that still

• seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man after seeing a ton of people play 2048 on campus I feel super bad for the Threes devs.
    I was looking at the top apps the other day, and 2048 was in the top 5 of the "free" apps, and I didn't even see Threes on the "paid" list. And that 2048 app isn't even from the guy that made 2048.

(One of the other top paid apps was a really crappy looking clone of Goat Simulator which ugh, but at least that was something they had presumably slapped together themselves.)

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think the internet's reaction to competetive smash was the first time I learned that people get really fucking mad if you don't like a game the exact same way they like a game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

dunban works better as an ai tank than reyn in my experience. Get dunban the agility boost skill that he gets when wearing no armor and link over the similar Melia skill that works with no gems

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

dunban works better as an ai tank than reyn in my experience. Get dunban the agility boost skill that he gets when wearing no armor and link over the similar Melia skill that works with no gems

Okay, thanks.

Dunban's cooler than Reyn anyway.

IKknkhU.gif
    I think the internet's reaction to competetive smash was the first time I learned that people get really fucking mad if you don't like a game the exact same way they like a game

I mean, credit where credit's due, the competitive smash scene are the ones who started the beef

But I've seen WAY more vitriol from casual fans

To be fair there are so so many games where players can be competitive these days some people who don't really dig that might feel threatened that it might overwhelm the discussion of the game they find so refreshing.

At least that is how I feel sometimes. I don't avoid challenge in games but I don't compete because I find it a waste of time, I'd rather spend gaining basic mastery over the systems of many games.

although I should add I'm talking about people who only have a passing interest in bibeo games

I reckon party smash if everyone was a capital G Gamer would probably be awesome, but I've never really tried it

Just saying I don't think it works as well as mario kart or wii tennis or whatever if you're talking about people who don't have much time for video games at all

in summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI4XJecOc0

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    competitive gamers really, really, really, really hate unpredictability.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    A History of the Great Empires of Eve Online is a history book about the epic tale of what's been happening for the last ten years in the sci-fi MMORPG, Eve Online.

It's a story about war and politics and betrayal and of course, internet spaceships. Beyond that, I've searched extensively and I believe this may be the first history book ever written about humans living in a digital world.

Eve's game world consists of nearly 8000 star systems for players to do just about anything they can think of, but the 3500 or so systems in the outer rim are unique in that they can be taken over by the players. To conquer these systems players form armies consisting of thousands of people. To control those systems they form governments, entire local economies, and regional alliances.

There are dictators and deposed rulers, soldiers and generals, lies and propaganda, mercenaries and peacemakers, grand speeches and shady backroom deals. The book will focus on this portion of the game, known by the players as "nullsec" or "0.0 space."

The full story of the untamed frontiers of Eve is one of the great mysteries in video game history and I'm committed to making it understandable and accessible to everyone whether you've never heard of Eve or if you're a hardcore player.

This book will take readers from the very first day the servers switched on to the formation of the first regional alliances, through the Great Wars of 2004, 2007, and 2008, and into the modern era of huge power blocs of coalitions. It's a journey through the politics, warfare, and culture that have shaped Eve into the game we read about in the headlines today.

a Kickstarter just went up today for the first ever EVE Online history book

I think my biggest concern is that while what happened is pretty easy to verify (sov maps indicating gain or loss of territory, killmails, etc.) the lack of primary documents you could use to try and accurately explain why things happened could be problematic.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    After Dark Souls and a bunch of games where people seem so quick to say "that's how its supposed to be". I'm worried that this concept of the developers vision being sacred is going to lead to more people thinking there's only one way to play and enjoy a game

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I'm holding out for the Ken Burns documentary with slow pans over screenshots and dramatic readings of the chat
    log.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Like, not even video games.

In warhammer I've seen so many angry arguments about stuff like Dark Eldar Combat Drugs and the obsessive need to base everything around the average dice rolls in a round of shooting vs. toughness 4 armor 3 enemies.

Honestly that's probably sucked more of my enjoyment out of that game than anything GW's ever done.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.