As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    After Dark Souls and a bunch of games where people seem so quick to say "that's how its supposed to be". I'm worried that this concept of the developers vision being sacred is going to lead to more people thinking there's only one way to play and enjoy a game

Well, pulling the plug on your internet to remove a part of the game is pretty different from playing a game with a certain set of customizable options built into the game.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So in 65 minutes Dark Souls 2 will unlock for play on Steam

And I'm

Really having to fight the urge to start up a new file of Fire Emblem Awakening

Maybe I would marry Sully this time. or Lon'qu. Or Sayri, I dunno! COuld be anyone.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't think there is any one right way to play anything.

I do know that competitive scenes can often dominate discussion of games I otherwise might enjoy more.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Wait ds2 unlocks in only that long? Uhhhh

I have to beat Nito...

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Man the stuff that goes down in Burial at Sea is crazy.

Back to the Future II vibes all over the place.

Ceno on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    the thing I find fascinating about competitive bibeo games is that the designer is basically making 2 games at the same time.

Like how do you make starcraft and street fighter fun for both casual players and a worthwhile endeavor for pros? Seems like the only way is get lucky really

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Man, Burial at Sea 2 is one of my favorite pieces of DLC

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    After Dark Souls and a bunch of games where people seem so quick to say "that's how its supposed to be". I'm worried that this concept of the developers vision being sacred is going to lead to more people thinking there's only one way to play and enjoy a game

Well, pulling the plug on your internet to remove a part of the game is pretty different from playing a game with a certain set of customizable options built into the game.

Disagree

I want full user control over the experience

If its not given to me I'll use mods and other things to get a version of the game I enjoy

I want as wide an audience to be able to enjoy games as possible and I think a lot of developers aren't doing that, and popular opinion seems to be OK with it which means it won't change

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Ugh time match?

so everybody gets to keep playing

if you're already playing casually with all of the items on, why would you pick a mode that means somebody has to spend time sitting out?

• Options

Disagree

If its not given to me I'll use mods and other things to get a version of the game I enjoy

I want as wide an audience to be able to enjoy games as possible and I think a lot of developers aren't doing that, and popular opinion seems to be OK with it which means it won't change

I think it's okay for different games to do different things

Dark Souls has certain systems built into it; if you don't like those systems I legitimately feel the best course of action is to either circumvent them via modding/other means or to simply not play the game

The multiplayer aspect of the series is as intrinsic to it as the combat mechanics

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »

Disagree

Dark Souls has certain systems built into it; if you don't like those systems I legitimately feel the best course of action is to either circumvent them via modding/other means or to simply not play the game

The multiplayer aspect of the series is as intrinsic to it as the combat mechanics

What's the difference between there being an option and letting someone mod it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    you don't have to like every game, nor does every game have to be for every person.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Disagree

Okay, but they are still different things. Smash is arguably intended to be played in a lot of different ways because those options are built into the game. DS2 can be played in offline mode even though a large chunk of it is dedicated to online interactions. Of course they still allow for offline play for people who don't want to/can't connect to the internet. Diablo 3 is probably the most extreme case, where blizzard is like, fuck you, play our way.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Man, Burial at Sea 2 is one of my favorite pieces of DLC

It's one of the few pieces of DLC I've ever played that doesn't feel tacked on. It feels damn near fundamental. It makes you look at two games in a different way. Nuts.

• Options

Disagree

What's the difference between there being an option and letting someone mod it

THe game is designed around the implementation of multiplayer, and I'd rather the design be focused in that way. It means people who don't partake in the multiplayer don't get an experience that's tailored to them, true, but I think that's a reasonable consequence

This isn't a perfect analogy, but if somebody is really bad at Mega Man and can't beat the bosses for some reason but they really love the sound design and music and levels, I think it would be okay for that person to cheat to make Mega Man invincible and to basically let him run straight across bottomless pits without falling. But I don't really think the developer is under an obligation to create that option for the player.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    every single thing that goes into a video game costs money.

If the developers included an offline mode then they would be expected to balance around offline being a valid way to play.

They chose not to do that, and that's fine.

Like should you be able to get all 150 pokemon without trading?

There's no right answer, the answer is whatever the developers want it to be.

And if you want to circumvent that that's your prerogative.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I really want to play diablo 2, but I can't find the cd

how did we ever live like this

Kilroy on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if you registered it you can download it. it's pretty rough to play now anyways

• Options
    Let me try to put it this way

I LOVE dark souls. Its one of my favorite games of the generation. I don't just sort of like it, I feel my gaming career would be significantly lessened if I had not played it.

It is ONLY that because I did something that is not sanctioned by the developers.

I am now playing and greatly enjoying fire emblem because they added casual mode, something a lot of fe fans were against.

What is wrong with giving options (ones that cost very little development time) to allow a user who otherwise would hate something to enjoy something that turns into one of their favorite games?

Not talking about rebalancing or redesigning, just options.

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    if you registered it you can download it. it's pretty rough to play now anyways

my battlenet account was wiped a few months ago

and I play through it roughly every two years, so I know how it's aged

• Options
    Chincy who are you going to marry

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Let me try to put it this way

I LOVE dark souls. Its one of my favorite games of the generation. I don't just sort of like it, I feel my gaming career would be significantly lessened if I had not played it.

It is ONLY that because I did something that is not sanctioned by the developers.

I am now playing and greatly enjoying fire emblem because they added casual mode, something a lot of fe fans were against.

What is wrong with giving options (ones that cost very little development time) to allow a user who otherwise would hate something to enjoy something that turns into one of their favorite games?

Not talking about rebalancing or redesigning, just options.

There's as much wrong with it as there is wrong with not doing that.

Literally nothing.

• Options
    I found it!

• Options

Sully duh

• Options
    there's nothing wrong with it at all

but why would experiencing the multiplayer element have prevented Dark Souls from becoming one of your favourite games?

• Options

Sully duh

She's a fun lady and results in fun relationships with her kid

I just couldn't stop laughing at how the avatar's relationship with her is built on

Actually how far along is your support with her

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    there's nothing wrong with it at all

but why would experiencing the multiplayer element have prevented Dark Souls from becoming one of your favourite games?

Because I hate it?

• Options

Sully duh

unrequited-love-heartbreak1.jpg

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

And I'm

Maybe I would marry Sully this time. or Lon'qu. Or Sayri, I dunno! COuld be anyone.

if I ever do Another FE:A playthrough I'll probably marry Say'ri

last few times have been anna, sully, and lon'qu so I can recommend all of those

• Options

Sully duh

I just couldn't stop laughing at how the avatar's relationship with her is built on

S

And chrom is married to pegasus girl

• Options

Sully duh

unrequited-love-heartbreak1.jpg

TDOT I have a type

I'm sorry

• Options
    I married Cordelia in Fire Emblem, which was hilarious because she never loses the barracks dialogue about trying to win Chrom's heart

also Morgan and Severa work so well as sisters

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »

And I'm

last few times have been anna, sully, and lon'qu so I can recommend all of those

I've married Maribelle and Lucina

Both of those are quality marriages - Lucina's kind of a gimme, though, in that there are certain scenes that are just way better if you're in a relationship with her
    or, better still, if you're her mother

Sully duh

S

Oh okay

Then that the avatar's relationship with her is built on mutually pooping themselves to death

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I just wish Anna and Say'ri had more support links, they're both cool ladies

• Options

And I'm

I've married Maribelle and Lucina

Both of those are quality marriages - Lucina's kind of a gimme, though, in that there are certain scenes that are just way better if you're in a relationship with her
    or, better still, if you're her mother

Sully duh

S

Oh okay

Then that the avatar's relationship with her is built on mutually pooping themselves to death

The worst poops

• Options
    The hotspring scramble DLC includes lots of support-style conversations for both!

All the scramble DLCs are super worth investing in

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    so you're telling me the anime dating war sim has a hot spring thing in it

• Options
    The hotspring scramble DLC includes lots of support-style conversations for both!

All the scramble DLCs are super worth investing in

Fuck me that's right! I might have to finish that dang playthrough I had going

(I have all the scramble and future-past DLCs)

• Options
    I just wish Anna and Say'ri had more support links, they're both cool ladies

I'm not sure the game needed more variations on "I love money, money, money, money "

This discussion has been closed.