As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I wasn't the only one who saw the brawl ds stage and was super hoping one player could draw the stage from a ds in the room was I?

nintendo you have the tablet now....

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    I just wish Anna and Say'ri had more support links, they're both cool ladies

I'm not sure the game needed more variations on "I love money, money, money, money "

I can't say you are wrong but

Still a Thing I Wanted

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Anna wears sunglasses and bling which spells out CREAM.
    CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND ME

b1ehrMM.gif
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    some designers are going to want to have users have a specific experience because they are creating art and something personal to them and they think this is the way it should be experienced

and that is ok

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I really want to play diablo 2, but I can't find the cd

how did we ever live like this

Should've registered it to your BNet account when you had the CDs!

sig.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    so you're telling me the anime dating war sim has a hot spring thing in it

It's actually super great; the hot spring element is almost incidental to most of the conversations in it

THey use it to build up a lot of relationships that aren't elaborated on much in the main game. Like, Chrom finally gets supports with
    his big sister
    and it's really good, really touching stuff
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The hotspring scramble DLC includes lots of support-style conversations for both!

All the scramble DLCs are super worth investing in

Fuck me that's right! I might have to finish that dang playthrough I had going

(I have all the scramble and future-past DLCs)

Fun fact about the future past DLCs

You know how all the father supports were really generic? In the Future Past DLC, each child/father combination has a bespoke conversation with their kid that's something like twice as long as a normal support conversation. It's very good.

dN0T6ur.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

I'm not sure the game needed more variations on "I love money, money, money, money "

I can't say you are wrong but

Still a Thing I Wanted

it's cool

I wish you nothing but the best with your amoral capitalist waifu

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The multiplayer in journey ruined my experience

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    SimBen wrote: »
    I really want to play diablo 2, but I can't find the cd

how did we ever live like this

Should've registered it to your BNet account when you had the CDs!

I no longer have a bnet account because blizzard support is the fucking worst

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Anna slashes throats like she slashes prices.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    You break her heart, I break your bank.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    The multiplayer in journey ruined my experience

I actually know someone who didn't want multi in journey because he just wanted to explore the areas without someone else there

guess what

that's fine!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

It's actually super great; the hot spring element is almost incidental to most of the conversations in it

THey use it to build up a lot of relationships that aren't elaborated on much in the main game. Like, Chrom finally gets supports with
    his big sister
    The hotspring scramble DLC includes lots of support-style conversations for both!

You know how all the father supports were really generic? In the Future Past DLC, each child/father combination has a bespoke conversation with their kid that's something like twice as long as a normal support conversation. It's very good.

does this also apply to morgan and her mother if you play as a dude?

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    saying what is fun is pretty much what a game developer does. of course they're not always right about it but you can't have a game without it.

Jars wrote: »
    saying what is fun is pretty much what a game developer does. of course they're not always right about it but you can't have a game without it.

Gmod

Minecraft

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group

his big sister

does this also apply to morgan and her mother if you play as a dude?

Unfortunately no. Morgan only ever really interacts with the Avatar in Future Past

But, in fairness

What you get is good, so be sure to talk to Morgan if at all possible

dN0T6ur.png
    neither of which proves my point wrong

I didn't recruit anna the first time I saw her, did I miss it? I couldn't figure out what to do

In Gmod's case it's literally a toolset

In that case the designer isn't giving you any input on what's fun

• JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    I didn't recruit anna the first time I saw her, did I miss it? I couldn't figure out what to do

The input it's giving you is that creativity is fun. The sandbox is the fun.

signature.png

You'll see Anna again.

sig.gif
    calling gmod a game sounds like a stretch

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    I think developers should be able to make whatever game they want: forced multiplayer, no multiplayer, save anywhere, save points, rogue-like, etc.

And then I as a player get to decide if what they made sounds fun or not. (save points once every hour? Fuck off).

And then I can play the game however I want once I own it (unplugging from the internet, for example).

Inquisitor on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Anna's support with the avatar is actually one of the most believable supports in the entire game

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Summary of the past few pages:

1397121086344.jpg

Somestickguy on
    this isn't like taking a cardboard box and using it to play. video games don't exist in a vacuum, they need to be designed with some intent in mind even if that intent is simply "build things out of blocks"

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 is unpacking!

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    calling gmod a game sounds like a stretch

gmod is totally a game

It is the most game

It is literally, hundred of games!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Hullis wrote: »

Anna's support with the avatar is actually one of the most believable supports in the entire game

The avatar often brings out the absolute best in whoever they're interacting with, writing-wise

Like, the support with Cordelia is one of the very few where she never mentions Chrom and it focuses almost entirely on her as a character, which is really refreshing

dN0T6ur.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-zDXLGiN7E

Vinny and Rich Gallup's producer panel is now on YouTube

6F32U1X.png
    Langly wrote: »
    some designers are going to want to have users have a specific experience because they are creating art and something personal to them and they think this is the way it should be experienced

and that is ok

I guess this is where I don't agree

The game design is only part of what a game is

The player experiencing it is what turns it into a game

And I think there should be as many ways to do that as realistically possible

You'll see Anna again.

Yay!

She seems like some kind of paladin type which I don't have yet so that'll be nice

edited April 2014
    I don't think game designers are under any obligation to be inclusive of playing styles.

Of course, we as players are also under no obligation to buy their game if it does not appeal to us.

Inquisitor on
    that's not what she is at all

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I spent this evening playing through The Room

It was well worth the €0.89 I paid for it.

Decent attack and defence, can heal?

I will also say that the player is under no obligation to play the game how the designer "intended" either. Do whatever you want in the world they built. Mod the world they built, etc. Lord knows I would never slog through a game of unmodded AI in a Total War game.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's okay to make a game for niche markets

Madden shouldn't have to go out of its way to change its design to appeal to me

And sometimes it's okay to have a game designed around players being dicks to each other

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg

She just gulps vulneraries the first time you see her, she's not a healer. Anna's a melee attacker, her thing is dealing damage.

sig.gif

She just gulps vulneraries the first time you see her, she's not a healer. Anna's a melee attacker, her thing is dealing damage.

Aw poop

she has the ability to use staves which mean she can heal

but her magic stat isn't going to be high enough to make her better than a a cleric/priest/troubadour

This discussion has been closed.