As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Giant]est [Bomb] Ever seen

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Well now I don't know what to believe

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Anna's actually not recruitable, it's Fire Emblem's equivalent of "Mew is under the truck"

6F32U1X.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Anna is recruitable 4 sure

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Anna's actually not recruitable, it's Fire Emblem's equivalent of "Mew is under the truck"

Mew is under the truck!

My uncle works at nintendo!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    that's not what she is at all

Decent attack and defence, can heal?

She just gulps vulneraries the first time you see her, she's not a healer. Anna's a melee attacker, her thing is dealing damage.

Aw poop

Reeeaaaalll good at it though. Probably better than Lon'qu at doing the Lon'qu thing at the point you are!

sig.gif
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    DS2 is unlockin'. Now I just gotta eat some din din and I'm ready to flail about wildly and impotently.

signature.png

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    she's neither of those. tricksters promote from thieves, they are fast, pick locks, and have above average magic. puts her in a bit of an awkward spot since levin swords are her best weapon but are quite rare but she's a good healer partially because maribelle and lissa are kinda really awful. libra fits the paladin archetype more, but he's not really a paladin.

Wait

I thought it wouldn't be unlocked till midnight

Fuuuuuuck

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Sometimes it's okay to make a game for niche markets

Madden shouldn't have to go out of its way to change its design to appeal to me

And sometimes it's okay to have a game designed around players being dicks to each other

but i want my footballers to be drobots!

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Maribelle is a monstrous magic user and excellent healer

Go to jail

dN0T6ur.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Steam has crapped the bed anyway because everyone is trying to get it. Taking an immense amount of time to download the last .4 gb

• SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    she's neither of those. tricksters promote from thieves, they are fast, pick locks, and have above average magic. puts her in a bit of an awkward spot since levin swords are her best weapon but are quite rare but she's a good healer partially because maribelle and lissa are kinda really awful. libra fits the paladin archetype more, but he's not really a paladin.

CONTEST

I CONTEST you on this point

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I jumped into the middle of this thread and thought for about half a page that you guys were lionizing

358px-18282-ahr_screenshot2.png

Mwx884o.jpg
    edited April 2014
    she's neither of those. tricksters promote from thieves, they are fast, pick locks, and have above average magic. puts her in a bit of an awkward spot since levin swords are her best weapon but are quite rare but she's a good healer partially because maribelle and lissa are kinda busy being Dark Flyers and learning Gale Force. libra fits the paladin archetype more, but he's not really a paladin.

Much better.

Somestickguy on
    Ceno wrote: »
    Steam has crapped the bed anyway because everyone is trying to get it. Taking an immense amount of time to download the last .4 gb

Weird

Mine's going pretty quick, 2mb/sec

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    My favorite class in Fire Emblem is probably Valkyrie...

I wonder if I can make Noire a valkyrie, since Morgan is too busy being a dark knight

edited April 2014
    You can make Maribelle into a Valkyrie, a Sage, or a Dark Flier and she will wreck the opponent. She even makes a pretty decent Dark Knight!

I admit I've never had a good Lissa, though

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    It's weird because this idea that the audience is entitled to a customized and personalized experience is something that's more or less exclusive to video games

Like, one of my favorite books is Catch-22. The book's chapters are arranged in achronological order, to draw clearer thematic lines across events that take place at different points in time. If someone released a "mod" of Catch-22 that rearranged all the chapters into chronological order so that people can enjoy it without having to keep track of the criss-crossing timeline, I would think they were some kind of jackass

Or like if someone "modded" Shakespeare to remove all the hard-to-read Elizabethan language, even if they ruined the iambic pentameter in the process

Or "modded" an e. e. cummings poem to get rid of all that stupid incorrect punctuation

about the only "mod" i can think of it when it comes to literature or film is when something is translated or subtitled from another language, where it would be literally impossible to experience the thing without that alteration. And even then in certain cases you would have people vehemently defending the idea that experiencing the work in its original language is a more "pure" experience and as snobbish as that sounds I don't think it's entirely without merrit.

There's a sense with video games that the audience is entitled to a personalized and custom tailored experience, and any time when the developers' creative or artistic vision comes into conflict with the player's right to customization, the player should (always?) win

I'm not even necessarily knocking it really, just noting it

There are a few unique differences that video games have that can explain it to some degree. A lot of games are made purely for entertainment. A lot of multiplayer-focused games are like this. In games like smash bros, it makes a lot of sense to offer lots of customization so that everyone can find a way to play with the toy in the way they think is best. but even that kind of thing has its limits. Mario Kart without the items isn't really Mario Kart, it's just a boring and shallow racing game, so it doens't make much sense to offer the option to turn the items off.

the other thing is that most games wall their experience off based on the player's skill at the game. This a really tricky issue to handle, because ultimately, the difficulty should be an inherent part of the atmosphere and themes of the game. Like, Saint's Row IV should be a really easy game because the whole thing is just sort of a big dumb joke where they overpower you out the ass and let you go crazy. On the other hand, Dark Souls is a game that is predicated on making you feel small, weak, and inconsequential in a hostile world. Dark Souls can't accomplish its goals unless it's extremely punishing and unforgiving. But not all players are created equal. Some people don't think Dark Souls is anywhere near as hard as the hype makes it out to be, and others have found it so frustrating that they've had to resort to mods and hacks to finish the game.

The game ends up with sort of an unsolveable problem. including no difficulty options leads to some players just not being good enough to experience the game. Dark Souls in particular is supposed to be hard, but manageable. It's designed to make you feel strong by making you feel weak at the startoff. But if the difficulty curve doesn't track to the player's skill level, then they'll just get frustrated and quit because relative to them, the game is harder than it's supposed to be for its intended effect. But say Dark Souls had multiple difficulty tiers, or say an easy mode that made it so you never lost your souls when you or something. That's still not a tenable solution, because the player can't reasonably be expected to know what difficulty to set the game at to generate the intended experience. That would require an extremely intimate understanding of both the game and their ability that no real person is going to have, especially if they're coming to the game fresh. Dark Souls isn't about seeing all the content, it's about earning the right to see all the content through skilled play and collaboration with other players. Turning on invincibility, or unplugging the game from the internet, or whatever, is going to be more satisfying than having to give up in frustration, but it's still failing to experience the game as its intended to be experienced. And there's a pretty vocal contingent of people who say that there's nothing wrong with that, and that their personal preferences and desires automatically trump artistic intent.

I don't really think I can go along with that attitude in most cases. Again in stuff like multiplayer party games it's a bit different, but like, the example that jumps to mind for me is The Binding of Isaac. Fans of BoI fuckin' love it. And I can buy that it's a well-constructed game and that the aesthetic is striving for something more than sophomoric potty humor. But I hate the way it looks to the point where any interest I have in playing it is just gone. I don't care about weird naked baby fighting poop monsters, nope no thank you. But I don't want someone to mod all that stuff out, because it's what the guy who made BoI wanted to make. He's making statements with the art in that game and I think preserving that is more valuable than pleasing my own sensibilities. I'd rather miss out on playing a game that I might otherwise like than see him compromise his creative goals.

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Whooaaaa didn't know ds2 was unlocking today. Time to diiiiiiiie

anyone you second seal is going to be overpowered. second seals are overpowered. lissa/maribelle are weighed down a ton by their sad base stats, and the fact that frail mages are pretty bad in a game with small maps and same turn reinforcements. plus libra is right there.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    You can make Maribelle into a Valkyrie, a Sage, or a Dark Flier and she will wreck the opponent. She even makes a pretty decent Dark Knight!

I admit I've never had a good Lissa, though

I know but I'm looking to my Gen 2 team

edited April 2014
    Or like if someone "modded" Shakespeare to remove all the hard-to-read Elizabethan language, even if they ruined the iambic pentameter in the process
    ee98d0b776261c5d44950492ed488276_large.png?1352218531

Somestickguy on
    Lissa easily gets MVP in just about every mission over here.

She held the line along with my avatar in the one with all the armor dudes and knights getting off the boat (I smell Avatar/Lissa babies in my future!)

sig.gif
    anyone you second seal is going to be overpowered. second seals are overpowered. lissa/maribelle are weighed down a ton by their sad base stats, and the fact that frail mages are pretty bad in a game with small maps and same turn reinforcements. plus libra is right there.

Libra's just not as good as Maribelle

Worse class selection, worse ability pool, less specialized stat growth

dN0T6ur.png
    Funnily enough I am writing a review of To Be Or Not To Be at this very moment.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    ee98d0b776261c5d44950492ed488276_large.png?1352218531

yeah but that's obviously a parody and is explicitly riffing on the original story

it's not like ryan north came out and said "hey do you hate hamlet well try reading this instead"

actually libra makes a very durable mage, if you second seal him.

but why is any of this stuff relevant? by the time you get either one of them to a level 15 dark flier the game is over and your characters are invincible. who cares. the game is pretty much over by chapter 14, really. turns into a real slog to be honest.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Books get modified frequently in the form of abridgment, don' they?

I know the 4th and 5th book of a Game of Thrones follows different characters over the same time period, and some people have stitched the two books together into one that tells all the stories in chronological order, and some people swear by it. That is basically a mod.

But there is a pretty big difference between books, a passive media, and games, an active media, so I am not sure how useful direct comparisons are.

Not that it particularly matters, I guess, because everyone in this game is super usable and good and trying to pass off one character as inherently better than another isn't a tenable stance to take

dN0T6ur.png
    When I think of the word Valkyrie I can't stop the image of Tom Cruise with an eyepatch popping into my head

edited April 2014
    that's going to depend a lot of what difficulty you play on and your skill level. sumia and panne are definitely better than everyone not named "my unit" or "morgan" on hard and above.

I also only play ironman. no reloads allowed.

Jars on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    cough

cough cough cough

(Anna is probably best as all-around support: she has high mobility + healing and lockpicking, better defenses and speed than other dedicated healers so she doesn't crumple as soon as somebody shoots a nasty glance in her direction. The assassin route is viable too, but there's probably better choices)

(also haters can get bent)

that's going to depend a lot of what difficulty you play on and your skill level. sumia and panne are definitely better than everyone not named "my unit" or "morgan" on hard and above.

Nah

After playing on Hard I'm all about Cordelia over Sumia, and Panne's beast-weakness comes out too often

I think maybe your view on the usability of characters is narrower than it could be

And pretending that the two of them are better than Donnel on Hard mode just feels really, really weird

dN0T6ur.png
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I second sealed my avatar at least three times because I am bad at making decisions

but now he's a griffin rider with a giant axe who one-shots everything, so it all works out

there are about two beast killers in the entire game and panne has WTA over them. sumia paired with frederick is unfair. I probably shouldn't even use it, it makes things a little too easy.

Nah

Yeah Nah's pretty good too

One of the best units, in fact

when you're not allowed to reload donnel is the worst character in the game. I park him on the corner of the map and forget he exists. not like growths matter at all in this game since late game enemies are pathetic.

In the frustrating hell of a game Jars is playing, Donnel is worthless. In Fire Emblem: Awakening, he's amazing.

sig.gif
    I guess the only thing I don't understand is who it hurts if I change this thing about a game to have a better time with it

Like I really don't think ds is somehow lessened because I wasn't invaded

In fact to me it was made greatly better

Is that somehow damaging the developers intent?

edited April 2014

Nah

Yeah Nah's pretty good too

One of the best units, in fact

Dagnabbit Wyborn

It's no fun if you just agree

e: That's better. Hail Hydra.

Somestickguy on
This discussion has been closed.