As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanish+Doom has come to the [Final Fantasy] Thread.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Bravely Default: Flying Fairy" does and will always sound like the name of a sequel to Recettear.

• Options
    ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    and the spoiler name
    lying airy or Lying Fairy
    would still feel applicable to a Recettear sequel.

edit: If I didn't pick up Theatrhythm after already knowing Curtain Call was possibly coming to the US in the future, I probably would've been more inclined to buy some of the DLC, so I would be okay if they return to that model for Curtain Call, maybe even improve it.

ReverseCreations on
    1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Man, this is nothing negative about the game, as I hope to enjoy it one day when I plow through more of this backlog, but the name "Bravely Default" always conjures for me images of a lone man standing firm and courageously while refusing to pay his mortgage.

Just because someone spoiled the plot for you, doesn't mean it isn't worth playing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    Just beat Nemesis last night in FFX. First fight where the "nerfed" Quick Hit mattered.

Took awhile, but I quickly realized that as long as I had everyone Auto-Lifed, couldn't lose, as I'd always have enough time to recast it. Hyper Mighty G mix saved a lot of time as well. All my aeons died during the fight so I couldn't rely on them to block Ultra Spark or Armageddon after awhile.

So... just the Sphere Master trophies and Penance to go for trophies. 6 Dark Aeons remain. I could probably beat a lot of that in 1 good night of playing, but getting all the characters around the grid is going to take many hours by itself, plus I need about 40 more luck before I'll feel comfortable :( Its the only trophy I wish they didn't include, as its entirely pointless in regards to defeating the toughest challenges.

Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    FF7 is the highest selling Final Fantasy title ever. You simply cannot compare other remake sales to the potential sales of a full blown completely remade for PS4 FF7 with voice acting. It'd be an entirely new game, but with a fandom that bought 10 million copies of it before.

There's no question to me it would outsell FF13 if it was done right. The question is could they do it right. And the answer is probably no based on their recent history.

That seems like sound logic

But that fandom existed almost twenty years ago

It would not be the same crowd today

I was 14 in 1997 when I played FF7. My wife was the same age. My best friend was 19. So for the 20 year anniversary the 3 of us will be 34 and 39. We all 3 still hold out hope they do it. Obviously the 3 of us don't speak for all the people who played the game back then.

My point is if they just made a great version of it, they'd be making the people who love FF7 happy, and the people who weren't born when it came out won't care. To them it'd just be FF16 and they'd form their opinions based on that version of the game.

I'm still just talking about an unrealistic and hypothetical world where they'd make a great remake of FF7 and not a huge disappointment, so yeah. I really don't expect it's going to happen.

• Options
    bss wrote: »
    FFX HD platinumed! I'm going to beat up the younger me that turned his nose up at the game back in the day, because that was pretty great all around.

I have eternal problems trying to identify my favorite FF or even my top 3, but it's somewhere up there. Now for some backlog stuff and then getting into the real business: FFX-2.

When FFX came out, I was still in my "Instantly buy all Final Fantasy games no questions asked and expect greatness" phase, young me. Anyway, I enjoyed it, but far less then than I do now, and it's because it was the game that took away my overworld maps, it didn't use the ATB, etc.

It's a FANTASTIC game, and I rank it right up there with my favorite FF games now, but at that time, I was like "This isn't really final fantasy with no ATB and with no overworld map." Those things were just things I needed in my FF games at that time.

I still love those things, and I still want FF games that use those things now honestly, but I can at least judge each game on its own merits and not against each other based on expectations set by the earlier games.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I never made it through 13's "tutorial". What makes Squeenix think I'm going to buy -2 or -3 versions?

And the bits I've seen of 15 do NOTHING for me.

I miss the old-school Final Fantasies. Games where there was a grand world to explore, plots that were fun and emotionally weighty without being needlessly convoluted for convolution's sake, and characters that were interesting instead of "cool". And with fun systems! FF6 with every character having a unique job skill, and with magicite allowing you to make hilariously broken characters. FF7's materia. FFX's Sphere grid, and mid-battle party swapping. Not... whatever the hell the FF13 system was that felt like auto-battle 99% of the time.

Sorry, got on a rant there. I'ma go play some more FFX and go to bed before I rant on something else.

You and me, we're brothers.

XIII-2's demo turned me off from that entire trilogy. What I've seen of XV has me concerned. Looks like a lot of flash.

• Options
    FFXV is going to be Kingdom Hearts action RPG. It'll be more of an action RPG than the 13 games were. I personally don't mind, though I do hope it's actually a good game, and I still do hope they go back to their roots in at least some future games.

• Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy:_Curtain_Call

This is where I got the songs, not sure if it includes all DLC songs though.

That wiki says there will be "221 songs, not including DLC". Is there a source for this? I know there was a press release that threw about the "more than 200 songs" figure, but how do we know they're not counting DLC?

(Not trying to be a downer here...it's just hard to imagine that CC would include that much more content baseline than the original. That's what, three times as many songs?)

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    If it didn't, why would anyone buy it? It sounds like the gameplay isn't really changing much.

edit: I mean, they did kinda the same thing with Dissidia 2. Added a ton of stuff, and still gave you almost everything that was in the first game as well.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I'm just glad I never bought it the first time so I can now buy the good version.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    you still missed out, i got 50 hours of play out of the first one

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Billmaan wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Theatrhythm_Final_Fantasy:_Curtain_Call

This is where I got the songs, not sure if it includes all DLC songs though.

That wiki says there will be "221 songs, not including DLC". Is there a source for this? I know there was a press release that threw about the "more than 200 songs" figure, but how do we know they're not counting DLC?

(Not trying to be a downer here...it's just hard to imagine that CC would include that much more content baseline than the original. That's what, three times as many songs?)

You can find out soon enough. The japanese version is releasing tomorrow, and importers will be able to tell you for sure what's on the cart.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The random trivia I heard about the first Theatrhythm was that it was originally a DS game before being bumped up to a 3DS. So they obviously needed the extra space, but didn't really use it to full effect. Which they now can, so it should have a ton more content.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The random trivia I heard about the first Theatrhythm was that it was originally a DS game before being bumped up to a 3DS. So they obviously needed the extra space, but didn't really use it to full effect. Which they now can, so it should have a ton more content.

yeah, that's the primary reason why the dark notes stuff was poorly limited.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Menasor wrote: »
    Just beat Nemesis last night in FFX. First fight where the "nerfed" Quick Hit mattered.

Took awhile, but I quickly realized that as long as I had everyone Auto-Lifed, couldn't lose, as I'd always have enough time to recast it. Hyper Mighty G mix saved a lot of time as well. All my aeons died during the fight so I couldn't rely on them to block Ultra Spark or Armageddon after awhile.

So... just the Sphere Master trophies and Penance to go for trophies. 6 Dark Aeons remain. I could probably beat a lot of that in 1 good night of playing, but getting all the characters around the grid is going to take many hours by itself, plus I need about 40 more luck before I'll feel comfortable :( Its the only trophy I wish they didn't include, as its entirely pointless in regards to defeating the toughest challenges.

I really enjoyed the Nemesis fight. I'd already completed the sphere grid for everyone, but with Yuna, Auron, and Wakka each equipped with Auto-Haste (and Auron with Auto-Phoenix), and casting lots of Auto-Life, the battle became an interesting exercise in manipulating the turn order with summons and getting Attack Reels for massive damage. This is how I treated Dark Yojimbo too.

I had a lot of fun solving those bosses, but unfortunately I got in a hurry and just started leaning on Zanmato out of interest of time. But I managed, even with turning all but one of the Luck nodes into other ones and not bothering to worry about Break HP Limit (again in interest of time).

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Chocobo's Dungeon arrangements are included, too. Funny considering the tracks are just remixes of FF5, FF8 and FF11 songs.

I am only marginally saddened to see Groovy Chocobo is part of XIII-2's tracklist, but not Crazy Chocobo.

Looks like Crazy Chocobo is part of the first DLC pack in Japan.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/04/first-round-of-theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-dlc-announced-for-japan/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Chocobo's Dungeon has far more music than V, VIII, and XI remixes.

Unless you mean those are the only ones in Curtain Call?

Which is a bit of a shame, but not too much so. Chocobo's Dungeon managed a great final-boss remix of Big Bridge.

(video title is spoilers, sorry.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AEaUtdEb-k

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Chocobo's Dungeon has far more music than V, VIII, and XI remixes.

Unless you mean those are the only ones in Curtain Call?

Which is a bit of a shame, but not too much so. Chocobo's Dungeon managed a great final-boss remix of Big Bridge.

(video title is spoilers, sorry.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AEaUtdEb-k

jesus, the build up at the start still gives me chills.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Needs the 14 version of Battle on the Big Bridge.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Seeing as we're getting Crazy Chocobo, it will be a tragedy if the Good King Moggle Mog theme doesn't show up as DLC at some point.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzTcNS1ors

Anyone know where the arrangment from the second half of the video comes from, or is it new?

Cururu on
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    So X/X-2 HD Remaster came out, everyone in this thread was posting about their experiences with X, how far they were, what they were experiencing... time goes on, and I don't think a single person has posted about playing X-2 HD remaster. Did everyone get burned out trying to fill out the sphere grid, and just didn't make it to X-2? (Hint, I may have burned myself out trying to get all the trophies and now don't want to touch my Vita).

• Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Quintile wrote: »
    So X/X-2 HD Remaster came out, everyone in this thread was posting about their experiences with X, how far they were, what they were experiencing... time goes on, and I don't think a single person has posted about playing X-2 HD remaster. Did everyone get burned out trying to fill out the sphere grid, and just didn't make it to X-2? (Hint, I may have burned myself out trying to get all the trophies and now don't want to touch my Vita).

I'm still building up to fighting the optional bosses in X. I was going to try for upgrading every celestial weapon, but getting 146 lightning strikes before being hit kinda put me off trying that again. The only other weapon left is Wakka's, which is simple enough since I'm winning most matches 5-0 or more (plus I now have Nimrook). Lulu will just have to have a custom built weapon instead. :)

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options

I'm still building up to fighting the optional bosses in X. I was going to try for upgrading every celestial weapon, but getting 146 lightning strikes before being hit kinda put me off trying that again. The only other weapon left is Wakka's, which is simple enough since I'm winning most matches 5-0 or more (plus I now have Nimrook). Lulu will just have to have a custom built weapon instead. :)

There's a trick to the lightning dodge that makes it tons easier. I posted it on page 89, it takes most of the chance out of it.

• Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular

I have a couple other Vita games to play, so I decided to let FFX's greatness bake in a bit while I play other games, and then come back to X-2 totally hyped for some YRP action that I haven't had in a while.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and finally beat the Luca Goers?
    This guy.
    Totally not worth the effort.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    This guy.

Yeah. Especially since
    you don't get to see them eat crow and a huge ass helping of humble pie. For all the hate and venom you build up going into the match against them, you really don't get the opportunity to savour the victory

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

There's a trick to the lightning dodge that makes it tons easier. I posted it on page 89, it takes most of the chance out of it.

That's where I got the 146, and to make it less monotonous, I did 20 at a time, then paused and did something else. To fail after getting nearly 75% of the way? Makes me want to never try it again. At least Catcher Chocobo and the butterflies are quick to finish; it would've been better if it was dodging 1000 total, rather than 200 consecutive, because at least you wouldn't lose a large amount of progress.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I just jumped from X to X-2 (tired of grinding spheres, want to play around with jobs).

Should I just ignore this Creature Capture business for the most part? It's a little overwhelming for a mechanic thrown at you in the opening game moments.

• Options
    I just jumped from X to X-2 (tired of grinding spheres, want to play around with jobs).

Should I just ignore this Creature Capture business for the most part? It's a little overwhelming for a mechanic thrown at you in the opening game moments.

I'll be honest and say I never went past the initial tutorial part. May try it the next time through.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I have yet to even play FFXHD because I've been dividing my time between Last of Us, Bravely, Titanfall and my second playthrough of Fire Emblem.

Goodness I forgot what having a backlog felt like. And Child of Light comes out next week.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I have yet to even play FFXHD because I've been dividing my time between Last of Us, Bravely, Titanfall and my second playthrough of Fire Emblem.

Goodness I forgot what having a backlog felt like. And Child of Light comes out next week.

I don't think gaming was ever so great before.
    Especially because we can still play games from all previous years.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    This guy.
    I did it. I HAD to do it. I actually desperately needed the strength sphere.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I've been slowly working my way through X since I've been playing a fair amount of other games. And my X run interrupted my Tales of Symphonia run.

In the last few months, I've played through all three FFXIII games, I'm working on X right now, and then I have X-2, Tales of Symphonia, and Tales of Symphonia 2 still to play. I'm going to be all JRPG'd out.

• Options
    FFX HD is responsible for my fouth interruption of a Xenoblade run.
    Every time I get a little bit further, then a few games distract me, and I'm out of practice when I try going back, so I decide to start over.
    Fifth times the charm I guess, but that won't even start until sometime in the summer at this rate.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Got tickets to Distant Worlds!

Wooo

In eight months I'm gonna enjoy me some music, yessir

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Distant Worlds 2 was fantastic when they were in Toronto two years ago...

Oh, they're coming back to Toronto in early December 2014? BOUGHT!

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    God dammit. Distant Worlds was in Portland tonight and I didn't even know. Who knows when they'll be back now. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Distant Worlds 2 was fantastic when they were in Toronto two years ago...

Oh, they're coming back to Toronto in early December 2014? BOUGHT!

We goin' to the same show, frer!

Also they are the worst at advertising. I'm on their newsletter and didn't hear shit baout this!

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.