As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steven Universe] 1. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY 2. SAY IT

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I don't get why folks call MLP well-animated

It's cleanly animated but it's still just a glorified flash animation, and boy howdy, does it show

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I lost interest in the show past the first half dozen episodes but I will defend its merit as a great children's program with a lot of heart behind it. It's just unfortunate that people can't discuss it or think about it without immediately arriving at the subject of bronies and the sub groups that really take it over the Edge of what is likely mentally healthy.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I don't get why folks call MLP well-animated

It's cleanly animated but it's still just a glorified flash animation, and boy howdy, does it show

I'm sorry but I take a little offense at the term "Glorified flash animation" as if there's anything inherently wrong with flash animation as a medium.

MLP is not cheaply done at all.

Even Lauren Faust has mentioned that, a number of times, she came up with a concept for a scene, sent it to the team, decided it would be too costly to pull it off and told them to scrap it, only to be told "No it's fine, we can do it."

As opposed to shows like Total Drama Island, where they're clearly doing it to save money, and that rationale evidences itself in the visual quality.

If you don't think stuff like this looks pretty good, I really don't know what to say. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViRbz6L85z8

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it's no foster's home for imaginary friends

• Options
    edited January 2014
    It has better animation than Fosters.

So I guess I agree? :P

Goatmon on

• Options
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha
    good joke

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Is this another one of those things where you insist at every turn that your preferred show is better in every way, because you like it the most?

Because that smug crap is what made me not want to visit the Transformers thread anymore.

Goatmon on

• Options
    the show is mediocre. it's okay. it is a perfectly serviceable children's cartoon. it is not anything special and does not merit the obsession of its adult fanbase.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    So that's a no on agreeing to disgaree, then. Okay.

Let's just move the topic back to Stephen Universe, before the thread gets locked for becoming a shitty argument about a show the thread wasn't made for.

Goatmon on

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    that animation clip you posted was okay

the characters spend a lot of time off-model and they really overuse deform, as does most flash animation, but the frequent cuts hide that a bit better

I much prefer the look of traditional animation for doing looney-toons-esque style emoting rather than vector based, motion graph stuff is always evened out too much

subject matter aside, I'd rather be looking at adventure time's animation or steven universe's animation rather than an MLP-quality-level show done in flash

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Well yeah, traditional animation is an established thing that's been around forever, and it'll always be good as long as it's not done at the lowest budget.

Hell, hand-drawn blows everything else out of the water when a team has a proper budget for it, but nobody's willing to pay for that nowadays, except maybe in very short animated bits, so it's pretty much a lost art.

Still. I like the fluidity in flash. At least, when it isn't done very cheaply, like Total Drama Island and it's ilk.

Goatmon on

• Options
    you know what was a well animated show? motorcity

damn, that show was slick
    writing and voice acting werent always the best but damn was it pretty and fun
    great soundtrack too

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    The thing I don't get is, that a show's animation shouldn't always be compared constantly to the bottom of the barrel like johnny test and total drama island. Good is good, but you can't keep calling good great just because it does better than the worst. I got no beef with mlp's style, it's going for a storybook look and it's completely serviceable. I just don't get to amount of praise for its animation because it doesn't do anything different and nor does it try to, because that's not what it's aiming for. Meanwhile shows like Adventure Time, Stephen Universe, Motorcity, etc. are top notch for me because they have a unique style that helps make that show what it is, they don't need to be compared to be the dregs like johnny test to be praised, they stand on their own and don't just meet standard expectations of clear and smooth animation. It feels like praising a film for being in-focus, like, yes obviously and some films are noticeably clearer and more defined visually than others but I feel like that's a hollow compliment.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Antimatter wrote: »
    you know what was a well animated show? motorcity

damn, that show was slick
    writing and voice acting werent always the best but damn was it pretty and fun
    great soundtrack too

I never caught that.

I've been somewhat out of the loop the last couple years because we don't have cable TV here.

It looks really good. Not surprised it didn't survive, though. It looked really expensive, even as cartoons go.

Goatmon on

• Options
    disney kept moving the time slot around, just like with gravity falls
    gravity falls was much better written, but motorcity i liked more because it had style

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Gatsby wrote: »
    The thing I don't get is, that a show's animation shouldn't always be compared constantly to the bottom of the barrel like johnny test and total drama island. Good is good, but you can't keep calling good great just because it does better than the worst. I got no beef with mlp's style, it's going for a storybook look and it's completely serviceable. I just don't get to amount of praise for its animation because it doesn't do anything different and nor does it try to, because that's not what it's aiming for. Meanwhile shows like Adventure Time, Stephen Universe, Motorcity, etc. are top notch for me because they have a unique style that helps make that show what it is, they don't need to be compared to be the dregs like johnny test to be praised, they stand on their own and don't just meet standard expectations of clear and smooth animation. It feels like praising a film for being in-focus, like, yes obviously and some films are noticeably clearer and more defined visually than others but I feel like that's a hollow compliment.

I love Adventure Time, but I don't really think the animation is one of its strengths.

It sells itself on the characters, writing, music, and a creator who seems to have infinite fun ideas to keep things interesting.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    disney kept moving the time slot around, just like with gravity falls
    gravity falls was much better written, but motorcity i liked more because it had style

God, I cannot wait for more Gravity Falls.

That show is so fun.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    On the subject of animation quality, I absolutely LOVED the new powerpuff girls special. I liked the new style a lot and the jokes were pretty funny imo

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    man I miss fosters

though blu kind of got insufferable towards the end

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I kind of wish Blu had stayed with the personality he had in the pilot.

Not annoying or a jerk, just Mac's level-headed-yet-excitable imaginary friend.

It would have made the show a lot better, in my opinion.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Blu was a fucking monster

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    This page is chock full of crazy.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, part of why I didn't really watch Foster's much was because the central character was a huge jerk.

Goatmon on

• Options
    canada having YTV and later Teletoon instead of Cartoon Network always sucked

I didn't get to see anything of Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Foster's

Also missed out on all of adult swim, toonami

• Options
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I didn't get to see anything of Powerpuff girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab, Foster's

YTV totally had Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab, while Foster's was on Teletoon.

You just didn't try hard enough.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

YTV totally had Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack and Dexter's Lab, while Foster's was on Teletoon.

You just didn't try hard enough.

it didn't have them during their original airing periods

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Holy crap that picture of the Gems is fantastic.

I wish it was appropriately sized for desktop wallpaper, because, you know. I would totally make it my wallpaper.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Also, for some reason, my eyeballs recently started paying attention to animation quality in ways they hadn't before, and it's made it a lot harder to ignore how static so many cartoons are. Adventure Time, much as I love it, spends a lot of time with one character's mouth moving while everything else on the screen is dead frozen. It makes up for it with some bad-ass action scenes, and it's far from the worst offender out of the toons I like (that's probably Legend of Korra), but once I saw it I couldn't unsee it.

Steven, by that metric, is pretty good, for the most part. Or at least it hides its staticness well.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So they just re-ran Cat Fingers, one of the things Amethyst shapeshifts into is Purple Puma. Nice foreshadowing.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    So they've introduced fusion to the show.

Meet Opal . She kicks ass and is Hawkeye
    http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/image/77776174611

tumblr_n1iiu7XDLp1rszotho1_1280.png

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    yeah, this one is p awesome too:
    tumblr_n1jnpa4P6h1raqqdgo1_r1_1280.png

• Options
    The AV club is doing episode reviews now
    http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/steven-universe-lion-2-movie-203778

Also some music from the sword fighters episode
    http://youtu.be/rEeJuEM2ZRI

http://youtu.be/_Pv23nUqaPQ

• Options
    aStoryAboutYouaStoryAboutYou Registered User regular
    Hope it's ok to revive this thread because I watched the first 17 episodes after intending to only watch an episode or two. This is delightful, and Opal being voiced by Aimee Mann made my day! Am I the only one who's inordinately happy that the fusion gems have their own distinct personalities rather than just being the 2 people existing in one body?

Had heard about the show itself because a friend of mine went to RISD and was in the same grade/same classes as Steven Sugar, Rebecca Sugar's brother/the basis for Steven/an artist for the show itself. Apparently, and unsurprisingly, he's a pretty groovy dude in real life too.

oWv6S12.gif
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I didn't know he went to RISD! RISD is the only school I applied to that rejected me and therefore that means he is my mortal enemy.

Still cool to hear!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm a couple weeks behind but this show is consistently so so very good

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Yes feel free to bump if you wanna contribute guys. I try to whenever new stuff airs or the blog update.

Im gonna revamp the OP as well if I can get to my laptop. Add dat music and the cool theme food they make

• Options
    I really love the subtle world building they do in this show

Makes me want to know what happened in the past but it's unlikely we'll get an explanation any time soon

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Roses Bat cave implies the gems have been around way longer than humans

Also that Rose Quartz was batman

King Riptor on
  • Options
    The show has implied the gems have been around awhile, I was more referring to their decline (since it seemed like there used to be a lot more of them)

This discussion has been closed.