As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    Well yeah that's my point, there's almost no direct damage abilities. It's like KOTOR without the dark side force powers, and that kinda sucks.

Nonsense! We have indeed seen a few direct damage abilities, and there are some non-damage offensive abilities about in videos, too. Bear in mind that a) everything they've shown us is close to the beginning of the game, so there obviously won't be any amazing powers going on and b) the in-game explanation for these powers is that they manipulate gravity and space, so those first few powers are going to be pretty basic.

Okay, these are from memory, so I might get the details wrong, but:

Throw, which pushes an enemy. Useful, probably does some damage if they hit something.

Lift, which lifts them up in the air for a while. This is probably pretty awesome when used in conjunction with sniping from far off.

Stasis, which freezes an enemy for a while.

Warp, which bends space and deals some damage over time.

Singularity, which seems to hold an enemy in place and deal a little more damage over time.

And I believe there's a more powerful version of throw hanging around in the old videos somewhere, but I've no idea what it's called. Like I said, I'd expect far far more powerful stuff the further you get into the game.

Oh, and I wanna repeat in case the skills thing confuses anyone; all characters each carry all four types of weapon (Pistol, Shotgun, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle) with them into combat. All characters can use any kind of weapon. But they're very inaccurate with them unless they have the skill to use them. They'll probably hit the enemy a couple times, but don't expect a headshot - that kind of thing.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I realise I might be lttp, but

Omg boobies and sex.

I mean, great? Bad? Jack Thompson bait?

Im really glad at this, because quite frankly, whats a sci-fi without the captain getting it on with alien women?

Prohass on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Prohass wrote: »
    I realise I might be lttp, but

Omg boobies and sex.

I mean, great? Bad? Jack Thompson bait?

Im really glad at this, because quite frankly, whats a sci-fi without the captain getting it on with alien women?

Somewhere Kirk is looking down on Shepherd and giving a nod of approval.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I knew some one would dig something up, good.

I just hope all the powers aren't relegated to really basic stuff. Like, throw rank 1-10 etc. Oh boy.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Kotaku wrote:
    Lesbian alien sex and the Brits only give it a 12? I am living in the wrong country.

O_o
    No I'm not doing the winky emoticon.
    Nope.
    No!
    :winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky::winky:

Iriah on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Singularity, which seems to hold an enemy in place and deal a little more damage over time.

From what I remember of the video, Singularity seems to project a short cone in front of you and attract enemies to you. I'm led to believe this because he was fighting one of those fast moving thingies and while it was in mid-air, he cast Singularity and it just floated towards him. Then he proceeded to use his Marksman ability to shoot it several times. Could be remembering it wrong though.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh yes! Zapp Brannigan!

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Shepards law is like Shepards love.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    It's dangerous?

But not lonely?

devoir on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    darksteel wrote: »

From what I remember of the video, Singularity seems to project a short cone in front of you and attract enemies to you. I'm led to believe this because he was fighting one of those fast moving thingies and while it was in mid-air, he cast Singularity and it just floated towards him. Then he proceeded to use his Marksman ability to shoot it several times. Could be remembering it wrong though.

Are you talking about the GameTrailers one from yesterday with female Shepard? If so, yeah, I thought the same - but if you watch closely, you'll see that those ones on the wall jump around like crazy anyway - she just happens to use Singularity as they jump, both times. The second time the hopper goes in a completely different direction (it's right towards the end of the video). I may be wrong about how much/if damage is done, but it certainly holds them in place.

I am such a ME nerd right now.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hope the sex scene isn't too far into the game.

Oh who am I kidding I will play through it more than once anyway.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    It's dangerous?

But not lonely?

hard and fast :lol:

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I hope the sex scene isn't too far into the game.

Oh who am I kidding I will make a save point 5 seconds before it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    It's dangerous?

But not lonely?

hard and fast :lol:

Jack Bauer voice: "WHO'S YOUR DADDY? TELL ME WHO YOUR DADDY IS, NOW!"

devoir on
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ugh...

There are going to be a lot of people that play as a female character just to see the lesbian scene. It's not even going to be that good. It'll likely show the tip of a butt crack or something.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mithrus wrote: »
    Ugh...

There are going to be a lot of people that play as a female character just to see the lesbian scene. It's not even going to be that good. It'll likely show the tip of a butt crack or something.

Beggars cant be choosers. I think it mainly just shows how deep the story will go, in terms of character archs and such. Sides, whats wrong with les butt

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The butt is where poop comes from.

Remember that.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The butt is where poop comes from.

Remember that.

So I hear you're looking for writers

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes, we are. You interested?

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yes, we are. You interested?

do we get free schwag and candian citizenship

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really do hope you can go through the entire game without firing a shot. It's all right being all gun-ho (heh) in KotOR where you still have time to pause and don't have to aim; I wasn't sure I could play this game. I'm thinking tech/bionics combination.

I'm going to be playing a female but romancing Kaidan. Where's the Kaidan love, huh?

EDIT: Okay, I'll admit to liking the addition of a sex scene. I like romance in my RPGs and despite Bioware not writing brilliant romances (I can fill in the gaps) they do at least complete them. I reckon they can do an enjoyable, tasteful job without it seeming too gratuitous.

Janson on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I actually think I "get" the major difference between having the lesbian female scene versus having the homosexual male scene. I'm assuming this alien female is the same in both scenarios.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the "alien female" in both scenarios is the same. This means this character is of such a seductive and sexual nature that she's sleep with the hero regardless of the sex. This is actually good, but not socially. Licentious behavior such as this is socially seen as deplorable, too taboo. Therefore this character would have to be the "bad choice." Otherwise they'd just be outright promoting homosexuality. This character is also female for a reason storywise, I'm sure.

To be overly PC and make it "fair" they'd either have to take out the lesbianism, and replace the character with a guy, or turn the "bad" choice into a guy if the hero is a guy as well. If they do the first they've pandered to a ridiculous minority and isolated another by omitting homosexuality for no good reason. If they do the second they'll only reinforce the idea that homosexuality is bad by having the "bad' choice be the gay one on both sides.

Also, I'm also assuming that who you sleep with boils down to a very basic and uninventive "good" person or "bad" person. It's just how it's been.

My point is that it has nothing to do with that, and this particular alien female is merely a seductive one who would charm you regardless. That sort of licentious behavior is, sadly, socially deplorable, and so she'd have to be the bad choice, regardless of the sex. And besides, it is more acceptable for it to be a woman.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The "female alien humanoid" is of course the asari. And asari HAVE NO GENDER. So basically it is gay/lesbian sex, no matter what gender your hero is.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    The "female alien humanoid" is of course the asari. And asari HAVE NO GENDER. So basically it is gay/lesbian sex, no matter what gender your hero is.

Well, this changes things.

Regardless, when I play female, she'll still be female to me. I'm not hardwired to think in such terms as to allow a very humanoid character be assigned "N/A" under gender.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I'm going to be playing a female but romancing Kaidan. Where's the Kaidan love, huh?

Kaiden sounds boring. Just a regular dude.

Honestly, from what I've seen (which isn't much, granted) none of the characters are really appealing.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2007
    Klyka wrote: »

the asari are obviously feminine though

and let me tell you no chance to be a dude who porks dudes pisses me right off

bongi on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    There's no same-sex kiss scene in Jade Empire, doesn't mean there aren't same-sex romances.

Janson on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    So I've been argueing with my friend about the importance of researching what the character classes in RPG's do exactly and I've stumbled on some sites that vaguely list abilities. For example:

Class description and starting/unlockable abilities.

There's very few unlockable abilities listed, does any one know how diverse the unlockable shit is? I'm afriad it might be somewhat limiting.

But it is Bioware, so I trust them.

The stuff in that link was ripped from Bioware's website.

Renzo on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited September 2007
    even if that were the case, which i doubt, it's still bullcrap

bongi on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    bongi has a crush on Wrex

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Food wrote: »
    Um Is that Seth Greens voice in the new trailers?

Yes. Confirmed by Bioware in fact.

That is all kinds of awesome.

There are more star voices not heard yet also, confirmed by same dude.

The entire firefly cast is in halo 3, by the way. if anyone cares. 2 so far confirmed (tudyk and fillion) and bungie said expect more to come.

Damn, why couldn't the Firefly cast have been in Mass Effect. If the cutscenes/story in Halo 3 are anything like the first two games I'll be skipping through most of them.

Why couldn't Bioware make a Firefly RPG using the core of Mass Effect including the dialog engine, massive number and size of worlds, and get Joss Whedon to write it? I'm not sure if mankind has invented a word or a number to adequately describe the amount of awesome that would be. Instead of biotics it would focus on River's latent (and not so latent) abilities. The romance factor is there, too. All the shippers could hook up whichever crew members they'd always wished to see get together on the show. I think putting together Simon and Book would be particularly hilarious. "Doc.. about last night."

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Food wrote: »
    Um Is that Seth Greens voice in the new trailers?

Yes. Confirmed by Bioware in fact.

That is all kinds of awesome.

There are more star voices not heard yet also, confirmed by same dude.

The entire firefly cast is in halo 3, by the way. if anyone cares. 2 so far confirmed (tudyk and fillion) and bungie said expect more to come.

Damn, why couldn't the Firefly cast have been in Mass Effect. If the cutscenes/story in Halo 3 are anything like the first two games I'll be skipping through most of them.

Why couldn't Bioware make a Firefly RPG using the core of Mass Effect

Because they want people to buy the game?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yes, because the Firefly DVD set and Serenity have only sold millions of copies because nobody wants to buy them. Hurrr hurr durr, good work.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The movie didn't do so great.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Bioware won't make such a game because they fucking hate nerds who won't shut the fuck up about Firefly.

Renzo on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    BioWare won't make that game becuase they want to make thier own universe. They are tired of doing liscensced shit.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In theaters? Not so great, below budget. In DVD sales? Big success, put it into the black. Firefly DVD sales were even better.

As it is, the voice acting and writing of Mass Effect's dialog seem to be its weakest points. Which is a shame, since these things are at the heart of the game. Whoever is voicing the female crew member (who argues in favor of saving the miners in the walkthrough videos) needs to be fired, because she sounds horrible. High pitched, squeaky voice reading poor dialog (Look! Hoppers!) with just a twinge of redneck drawl.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In theaters? Not so great, below budget. In DVD sales? Big success, put it into the black. Firefly DVD sales were even better.

As it is, the voice acting and writing of Bioshock's dialog seem to be its weakest points. Which is a shame, since these things are at the heart of the game. Whoever is voicing the female crew member (who argues in favor of saving the miners in the walkthrough videos) needs to be fired, because she sounds horrible. High pitched, squeaky voice reading poor dialog (Look! Hoppers!) with just a twinge of redneck drawl.

And Joss Whedon will make it all better, huh?

Renzo on
  • Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    As it is, the voice acting and writing of Bioshock's dialog seem to be its weakest points. Which is a shame, since these things are at the heart of the game. Whoever is voicing the female crew member (who argues in favor of saving the miners in the walkthrough videos) needs to be fired, because she sounds horrible. High pitched, squeaky voice reading poor dialog (Look! Hoppers!) with just a twinge of redneck drawl.

That used to be the voice for Ashley. They aren't using that voice anymore.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    massive number and size of worlds

Gonna go ahead and expose myself here for a second as a big-time nerd, but that wouldn't work without drasticaly changing the technology available in the Firefly universe. The ships in Firefly only travel around one solar system, not the entire galaxy, as is done in Mass Effect. And honestly, while I would certainly welcome such a game, if they did try to do something like that to suddenly make the Firefly universe able to span the galaxy and explore new world...there would be a lot of unhappy fans. It really would make no sense at all for the crew of Serenity to decide to start going where no man has gone before...Mal is not Kirk.

/geek

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
This discussion has been closed.