As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like that it's original, anyway. I don't want to be playing other well-established characters. I want a fresh face (Shepard) to develop as I please.

KotOR worked because it was set 20,000 years before the movies, so there was no conflict with existing histories/characters. A couple of subtle references here and there to the likes of Exar Kun and Nomi Sunrider, that was all.

Janson on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    In theaters? Not so great, below budget. In DVD sales? Big success, put it into the black. Firefly DVD sales were even better.

As it is, the voice acting and writing of Bioshock's dialog seem to be its weakest points. Which is a shame, since these things are at the heart of the game. Whoever is voicing the female crew member (who argues in favor of saving the miners in the walkthrough videos) needs to be fired, because she sounds horrible. High pitched, squeaky voice reading poor dialog (Look! Hoppers!) with just a twinge of redneck drawl.

And Joss Whedon will make it all better, huh?

That one of the best dialog writers in the business (along with David Mamet and Aaron Sorkin) would improve the quality of the game's script? That's generally how it works: People who are "among the best" at something do better than others, who aren't. "Sounds dangerous... and lonely" makes a great meme but I hope it's not indicative of the rest of the game's dialog.

That used to be the voice for Ashley. They aren't using that voice anymore.

That's a relief, because that voice was terrible. It did not fit the character or the game.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So you can have lesbian sex in this game?

Interest rising.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the "alien female" in both scenarios is the same. This means this character is of such a seductive and sexual nature that she's sleep with the hero regardless of the sex. This is actually good, but not socially. Licentious behavior such as this is socially seen as deplorable, too taboo. Therefore this character would have to be the "bad choice." Otherwise they'd just be outright promoting homosexuality. This character is also female for a reason storywise, I'm sure.

No, no. The Asari - who, as has been pointed out before, is technically asexual and therefore has no necessary conception of gender - is named Liara, and she is a shy scientist who is terrible at being around other people and prefers to quietly sit alone working at archaeological sites. This is pretty far from the 'seducer' stereotype. In fact, I'd say that Bioware's philosophy would prevent having such a character in the main party. They're all about choice and while it seems they've made some vaguely annoying decisions here, it would go against their grain to include a romance option which was a "bad" option.

Instead, this character seems to be pandering to the male Kirk fantasy of seducing the innocent alien female, which, while it makes me roll my eyes a little, isn't really too bad.
    To be overly PC and make it "fair" they'd either have to take out the lesbianism, and replace the character with a guy, or turn the "bad" choice into a guy if the hero is a guy as well. If they do the first they've pandered to a ridiculous minority and isolated another by omitting homosexuality for no good reason. If they do the second they'll only reinforce the idea that homosexuality is bad by having the "bad' choice be the gay one on both sides.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. To be "overly PC"? Really? I don't think it's overly PC to have man-love in a game about choice - as it stands without it, it's coming across as kind of weirdly skewed. But as has been said earlier, there is sure to be some kind of option there, it just doesn't lead to sex. Hmph.
    Also, I'm also assuming that who you sleep with boils down to a very basic and uninventive "good" person or "bad" person. It's just how it's been.

Can you give me examples? I can't remember a Bioware game where you have a choice between good romance and bad romance. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here.
    My point is that it has nothing to do with that, and this particular alien female is merely a seductive one who would charm you regardless. That sort of licentious behavior is, sadly, socially deplorable, and so she'd have to be the bad choice, regardless of the sex. And besides, it is more acceptable for it to be a woman.

Again, I think it goes against Bioware philosophy to designate some romance options as socially bad. Jade Empire certainly didn't, did it? But you're right, lesbianism is far more acceptable to most than male-male.

edit: eesh, that came out longer than I thought.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    In theaters? Not so great, below budget. In DVD sales? Big success, put it into the black. Firefly DVD sales were even better.

As it is, the voice acting and writing of Bioshock's dialog seem to be its weakest points. Which is a shame, since these things are at the heart of the game. Whoever is voicing the female crew member (who argues in favor of saving the miners in the walkthrough videos) needs to be fired, because she sounds horrible. High pitched, squeaky voice reading poor dialog (Look! Hoppers!) with just a twinge of redneck drawl.

And Joss Whedon will make it all better, huh?

That one of the best dialog writers in the business (along with David Mamet and Aaron Sorkin) would improve the quality of the game's script? That's generally how it works: People who are "among the best" at something do better than others, who aren't. "Sounds dangerous... and lonely" makes a great meme but I hope it's not indicative of the rest of the game's dialog.

That used to be the voice for Ashley. They aren't using that voice anymore.

That's a relief, because that voice was terrible. It did not fit the character or the game.

Not that is particularly the place to discuss this but you're saying Joss Whedon is a good writer? He can write some good lines but he's nowhere near a brilliant writer. Definetly not a consistently good one. This is easily shown by the fact that Angel was a good series, apart from the 4th season and Joss Whedon didn't have a hand in most of hte episodes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think Whedon is a pretty good writer, but he's much much better at plotting and creating interesting characters and situations. That's where his talents lie, I think.

But man, we are like three degrees of off-topic now.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In before gay sex in Fallout 2 and Fable.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hey guys; 60 days until Mass Erect!

devoir on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    88 days for me!

Curse my lack of a 360 and lack of a TV and lack of money!

Janson on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    88 days for me!

Sounds like you have more than enough time to save up. Start filling the piggy bank, go go!

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    88 days for me!

Moriveth has been telling me that he plans to beat it himself before you get there.

twice

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    88 days for me!

Moriveth has been telling me that he plans to beat it himself before you get there.

twice

There is a most severe punishment in store for him if this is true emot_argh.gif

Oh well. I can deal with a 28 day self-imposed internet ban. I think.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Not that is particularly the place to discuss this but you're saying Joss Whedon is a good writer? He can write some good lines but he's nowhere near a brilliant writer. Definetly not a consistently good one. This is easily shown by the fact that Angel was a good series, apart from the 4th season and Joss Whedon didn't have a hand in most of hte episodes.

He's a fantastic writer when it comes to dialogue, which is what everyone remembers from the stuff he's written: Speed and Toy Story, along with his TV shows. He even wrote the most memorable line in the first X-Men movie "How do we know it's really you?" "You're a dick", though most of the rest of his stuff got cut.

Sorry to be so off topic, though I think the quality of the dialogue in Mass Effect is going to be something that gets a lot of discussion when the game is out. It was both one of the best and worst things about KOTOR (Best - HK-47's lines, worst - pretty much anything that fell out of Carth and Bastila's mouths), yet it still killed everything Lucas himself wrote for the prequels.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Oh yeah. Check out the bolded word. I assume you meant Mass Effect. Otherwise I will have to practice my stabbing.

Renzo on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    What? the voice acting in Bioshock was fantastic.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It was some kind of double freudian slip, he meant mass effect, he thought bioware, and he posted bioshock.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    To be honest I'm always wanting to write Bioshock instead of Bioware.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh yeah. Check out the bolded word. I assume you meant Mass Effect. Otherwise I will have to practice my stabbing.

Yeah, massive goof, because I was thinking of Bioshock as the best example of what good dialogue and voice acting can do for a game. Bioware - Bioshock trips me up.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    MissKaleMissKale Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Its funny, I had only been peripherally aware of this game until the other day. Now I have this odd feeling my husband and myself might end up pre-ordering it though we don't have a 360 yet.

The plan is to get either a 360 or a ps3 before the end of november, which we've been arguing about for a bit. Myself for ps3, him for 360 (he's more from the Sierra school of gaming I'm from the NES).

And as of when he saw the extended interviews/previews, he says that it now "primally owns his soul".

Because, I swear to you, it feels to him like a cross between KotOR and Star Control 2. And since those are some of his favorite games of all time, yeah...

Now I just have to figure out which 360 will have the least chance of dying in the long run...

MissKale on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    MissKale wrote: »
    Its funny, I had only been peripherally aware of this game until the other day. Now I have this odd feeling my husband and myself might end up pre-ordering it though we don't have a 360 yet.

The plan is to get either a 360 or a ps3 before the end of november, which we've been arguing about for a bit. Myself for ps3, him for 360 (he's more from the Sierra school of gaming I'm from the NES).

And as of when he saw the extended interviews/previews, he says that it now "primally owns his soul".

Because, I swear to you, it feels to him like a cross between KotOR and Star Control 2. And since those are some of his favorite games of all time, yeah...

Now I just have to figure out which 360 will have the least chance of dying in the long run...

Get the elite, because it's sexy. And it's black, so you can... pretend it's a PS3. Though I haven't the foggiest notion of why you'd want to do something like that.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Get the elite, because it's sexy. And it's black, so you can... pretend it's a PS3. Though I haven't the foggiest notion of why you'd want to do something like that.
    360 r too smal u mite lewz it in teh craks in teh cowch lawlz!11

...I got nothin'. Although I'm still shocked by the PS3 every time I see it on display at Gamestop. Thing's the size of the Atari 5200 and sounds like a fucking vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, Mass Effect is what sold me a 360, finally. Or will, anyways. Unless Hellgate: London winds up being the hottest shit ever, I'm going to take the money I'd have spent on a PC overhaul and get a 360, Mass Effect, and Army of Two, and be the happiest gamer alive.

Dear sweet jebus does this game look good!

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    360 r too smal u mite lewz it in teh craks in teh cowch lawlz!11

...I got nothin'. Although I'm still shocked by the PS3 every time I see it on display at Gamestop. Thing's the size of the Atari 5200 and sounds like a fucking vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, Mass Effect is what sold me a 360, finally. Or will, anyways. Unless Hellgate: London winds up being the hottest shit ever, I'm going to take the money I'd have spent on a PC overhaul and get a 360, Mass Effect, and Army of Two, and be the happiest gamer alive.

Dear sweet jebus does this game look good!

I think you were stood too close to the 360 display and overheard its fan because the PS3 is quiet whilst the 360 sounds like its grinding up horses to subsidise its power supply.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think you were stood too close to the 360 display and overheard its fan because the PS3 is quiet whilst the 360 sounds like its grinding up horses to subsidise its power supply.
    I think you both just couldn't hear a damn thing over the sound of the N-GAGE fellating everyone who bought it and buying them cars.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game comes out 2 days after me and my girlfriend's two-year anniversary. Yesterday at the mall, she handed me a preorder slip for this. She's paid it off for me.

Keeper?

Szechuan on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Keeper.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Szechuan wrote: »
    This game comes out 2 days after me and my girlfriend's two-year anniversary. Yesterday at the mall, she handed me a preorder slip for this. She's paid it off for me.

Keeper?

Marry her or send me her number. I got no problem going old-school mormon and taking on a second wife.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Keeper?

That .... that can't be a serious question. You should check her for a barcode. I think she may have been specifically crafted for you.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

Keeper?

That .... that can't be a serious question. You should check her for a barcode. I think she may have been specifically crafted for you.

maybe she WAS crafted for him. you got a thing against robosexuals?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited September 2007

Keeper?

maybe she WAS crafted for him. you got a thing against robosexuals?

Not at all. I'm still waiting for mine. I guess she's on backorder. D:

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I honestly love firefly but would never play a firefly game.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, I've partially educated myself about the game, but a few things are bothering me, mostly about their choice system...maybe some people have answers...

First:
    They always talk about how you can wander around the Citadel and you don't need to pick up Wrex, and they're always like "you could not take him, if you want, and then you miss out on all this backstory and there's places where he develops the story more and he's awesome in battle." But every time I see it, there's no real reason not to pick up Wrex, and that just seems kind of ...'meh' to me. You need to have at least some sort of interaction for Wrex if he's not in your party (that is different than if he were or if he's in your inactive party).

Like, some Turian running around, picking fights with you because you're a Krogan lover, but not doing it otherwise (maybe he wants you to hunt down Krogans or something, I don't know). I just know they've put no incentive in for not taking Wrex. Even if it was unsure whether or not he would join the party it could be useful (as in, you need to do things right for him to want to join you), but that doesn't seem to be how it works, either.

Second:
    The Paragon/Renegade stuff a developer was talking about didn't seem to give any incentive to be evil again. Only that it 'blocked off some of the good endings'. Woohoo...

Now, the second thing is kind of par for the course, but I'm really hoping there's also an incentive for not taking Wrex to make the game different when he's not there other than "no Krogan Battlemaser for you!"

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »

can't imagine it working, or capturing what's great about the show.

also, this game is what is causing me to get a 360 asap... elite yummmm.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So, I've partially educated myself about the game, but a few things are bothering me, mostly about their choice system...maybe some people have answers...

First:
    They always talk about how you can wander around the Citadel and you don't need to pick up Wrex, and they're always like "you could not take him, if you want, and then you miss out on all this backstory and there's places where he develops the story more and he's awesome in battle." But every time I see it, there's no real reason not to pick up Wrex, and that just seems kind of ...'meh' to me. You need to have at least some sort of interaction for Wrex if he's not in your party (that is different than if he were or if he's in your inactive party).

Like, some Turian running around, picking fights with you because you're a Krogan lover, but not doing it otherwise (maybe he wants you to hunt down Krogans or something, I don't know). I just know they've put no incentive in for not taking Wrex. Even if it was unsure whether or not he would join the party it could be useful (as in, you need to do things right for him to want to join you), but that doesn't seem to be how it works, either.

Second:
    The Paragon/Renegade stuff a developer was talking about didn't seem to give any incentive to be evil again. Only that it 'blocked off some of the good endings'. Woohoo...

Now, the second thing is kind of par for the course, but I'm really hoping there's also an incentive for not taking Wrex to make the game different when he's not there other than "no Krogan Battlemaser for you!"

The problem with moral games is that they don't actually alter the game in any significant way until the end cutscene. Now something like True Crime, if you're a bad cop or do certain things the story deviates entirely and can end llike 5 missions before where the good ending comes in. That's some real diversion.

Act like a totalitarian prick through a game and some planet just won't welcome you. Of course you're a prick so you can set down, whoop ass and destroy the civilisation.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Paragon/Renegade stuff a developer was talking about didn't seem to give any incentive to be evil again.

It's not evil though, it's ruthlessness. There's a difference, because being ruthless will directly get you what you want, for example saving the galaxy. You can't really be evil as such in this game. I doubt there's any ending where Shepard destroys democracy and turns the Alliance into an Evil Empire.

Well, maybe the last bit.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Paragon/Renegade stuff a developer was talking about didn't seem to give any incentive to be evil again.

It's not evil though, it's ruthlessness. There's a difference, because being ruthless will directly get you what you want, for example saving the galaxy. You can't really be evil as such in this game. I doubt there's any ending where Shepard destroys democracy and turns the Alliance into an Evil Empire.

Well, maybe the last bit.

Feel free to replace 'evil' with 'ruthless' in my last few sentences, then. It doesn't alleviate that 'being ruthless' just cuts off things, while 'being an upstanding bastion of niceness' has no mentioned downside...

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Shoggoth wrote: »

can't imagine it working, or capturing what's great about the show.

also, this game is what is causing me to get a 360 asap... elite yummmm.

Firefly would work, it would be an extension of Escape Velocity.

There's so few games that involve poorness and space-ships. There's nothing like getting a huge score when you can barely pay for fuel to get to the next system, then having to defend it from pirates.

Anyways, I agree that if the only effect of saying "no" is that you don't get to see something, I'll be annoyed.

But I'm hoping they don't go that route. I'm pretty certain that Paragon/Ruthless doesn't just close things off to you, as it would be a bit silly to say "Oop! 55% ruthless, no cool endings for you!". Hopefully they just have multiple endings that depend on your actions over the course of the entire game.

That said, I'm totally going 100% ruthless. The citizenry need to understand that this is a threat that must be dealt with by any means necessary.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    it's jack bauer in space!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh if you don't think I'm gonna make his face, you are so wrong.

Actually, they've made a lot out of the face creation, so are they gonna let us upload/download faces? Or will we have to make little "15 to the left" notations if we want to share?

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hope they don't do what they did in Jade Empire, where the "evil" path is just a different view on life ("people need to be able to look out for themselves/solve their own problems") for 90% of the game and then turned into some sort of crazy maniacal villain path where you end up killing half of your party.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm still convinced that the whole morality scale will end up being the standard Bioware "Saint vs Puppyeater". I can only hope that I'll be proven wrong in due time but I'm not too hopeful on that part.

Silpheed on
This discussion has been closed.