As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Doomsday

• Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The dumb thing is that I went to the first store and there was one copy left, but I had forgotten my wallet, and when I went back it was gone

I should have hidden it behind the truckload of Death Proof DVDs

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I may try and buy this Friday, when I'm done with school for the week.

I was going to hold out for the New Frontier movie, but I could use a DCAU injection right now.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    man the New Frontier feature doesn't have a trailer i was so mad

but it does have a lot more shots than the one that was on Youtube did

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    Yikes, what the hell hapenned to Supes face? This is by the same team behind JLU right? The art looks almost the same but apparently Supermans cheeks have been cut by diamonds since then.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ugh fuck

Virgin Megastore and Circuit City were sold out

That was not something I was expecting.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Vandal NYVandal NY Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'll be picking this up, it looks awesome.

Also: first post, hay.

Vandal NY on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh thank god, my roommate was able to pull through

Anyway I really liked it

Adam Baldwin is kinda weird as Superman but I got more used to his voice by the end

Anne Heche was really fantastic, she was a lot better than I thought she'd be

James Marsters was good, too

It was really gross when
    Superclone lobotomized himself

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Oh thank god, my roommate was able to pull through

Anyway I really liked it

Adam Baldwin is kinda weird as Superman but I got more used to his voice by the end

Anne Heche was really fantastic, she was a lot better than I thought she'd be

James Marsters was good, too

It was really gross when
    Superclone lobotomized himself

what chu' talkin' 'bout? That was bad ass

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I never said it wasn't cool, but it was gross

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2007
    I love how he did it
    in a fucking hair salon

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Anne Heche's yelling voice was really airy. Other than that she was great

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Great movie.

After the DCAU ended with the last episode of JLU, I was thirsting for more Bruce Timm stuff.

Although this doesn't fit in with the continuity of the DCAU, I still loved it, and it quenched my thirst... for now.

I'm glad this was direct-to-DVD, because they were allowed to get away with a lot more than they did on FOX Kids/Kids WB!/Cartoon Network.

Great job. Can't wait for the two other direct-to-DVD movies coming out in the next few months -- Teen Titans: The Judas Contract and Justice League: The New Frontier.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "few months"

hahaha

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I just started watching it, so I'll avoid spoilers for the next hour or so, but I like the writing so far (the fact that they can get away with the joke at the beginning of getting power by shoving a power cord up satans ass is hilarious)

The animation/drawing style looks a little... off, but not bad enough to really hurt it for me. (Forget the chin, what the hell is up with Lex's assistant's nose/face)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, when Lois was introduced all screaming and stuff I was like "Anne Heche sounds bad", but her performance was otherwise really great
    The animation/drawing style looks a little... off, but not bad enough to really hurt it for me. (Forget the chin, what the hell is up with Lex's assistant's nose/face)

The only thing that really distracted me was the weird way they drew Superman's cheekbones

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    "few months"

hahaha

??? *Confused*

Wikipedia says JLU: TNF will be out on January 28, 2008, and TT: TJC will be out a while after that...?

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man.

This makes me want to grab more of the Direct-To-DVD comic stuff.

Is subzero better than I remember it being? I haven't seen it since it first came out, and it bored me to tears back then. Also, I just now found out that Mystery of the Batwoman took place in the DCAU. I had always thought it was some crappy stand-alone cash in like that brainiac travesty. Was Batwoman any good?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I wish they'd skip over the Teen Titans one and get to the Wonder Woman one

But uh

I understand there are Teen Titan fans out there

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's "supposed" to look more like the art in the original comic.

Bruce Timm took a few liberties, as you may have noticed. But they still had to try to make Supes look different than the DCAU Superman.

Because it's not in the DCAU.

And all the voices are fine.

And if you don't like it, you are wrong.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Also, I thought Mystery of the Batwoman was kinda lame

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Man.

Is subzero better than I remember it being? I haven't seen it since it first came out, and it bored me to tears back then. Also, I just now found out that Mystery of the Batwoman took place in the DCAU. I had always thought it was some crappy stand-alone cash in like that brainiac travesty. Was Batwoman any good?

Subzero was amazing, and you'll definitely love it if you checked it out today. I saw it way back in 2003 when I was watching everything in the DCAU for the first time, so it's a fairly recent memory. I'm sure you will like it.

Batwoman was alright. You'll enjoy it for sure, but, there was a small "girl power" vibe to it that irked me a bit. But it was a decent Batman story.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man.

If Subzero bored you to tears, you need to get on some Ritalin or something.

Mystery of the Batwoman is all right. It's not as dark as Subzero or Mask of the Phantasm, but it wasn't as bad as some people like to make it out to be. I've always thought the TNBA designs look great, especially Batman. And I enjoyed the movie.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Animelee wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    "few months"

hahaha

??? *Confused*

Wikipedia says JLU: TNF will be out on January 28, 2008, and TT: TJC will be out a while after that...?

the new frontier is coming out January 28th?

fuck me sideways and call me slappy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2007
    man where do you guys live that things are constantly sold out of things like this

pretty much everytime a new release drops around here there are at least twenty copies at every store

unless it's wal-mart, because they aways have probably hundreds

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Holy shit this is darker than I'm used to seeing for DC animated stuff
    Lex shooting his assistant in the head to finish the coverup? holy crap.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

That was pretty cold, but I was more bothered by
    Doomsday killing the deer

So harsh

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Me too...

Don't forget about that
    that poor guy's dog, as well as the guy himself.

I'm glad this was just a cartoon, but shit, that was more than I was expecting, since I'm used to the DCAU's level of violence.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

So harsh

I'm not really bothered by it (god knows DC comics do far worse things to their characters) Its mostly the shock because I'm used to the DC animated stuff that that put out on TV (what was Justice League rated? Y-14? or something)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not even that. Y7, with the sub-ratings usually being FV for fantasy violence, or very rarely, D for dialogue.

But the later episodes ended up being flat out PG.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ohh man, Lucy Lawless is voicing Wonder Woman in New Frontier. And David Boreanaz is Hal Jordan. No reveal for Batman, though.

Does Batman even have a real part in New Frontier?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jeremy Sisto plays Batman

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007

So harsh
    He crushes a birdie in the comic. That was pretty creepy.

It was weird how all this wildlife seemed to congregate around him in the book. Birds, deer... it was like some twisted version of Snow White.

And then he kills them all dead.

Talking of the comic, I wish they'd had Doomsday come out in his rubber suit at the beginning instead of revealing him in all his glory from the get-go. Oh well.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    That was better than I expected. I have to say that this was definitely one of those cases where the changes they made to the storyline (and there were a lot of them) definitely made for a better 75 minute movie.

I do agree that adding extra lines to Superman's face was a strange choice since they stayed so close to the Timm style anyway. I can't even figure out what they're supposed to represent. His cheekbones? Also, Adam Baldwin does a good tough guy voice but I never quite bought him as the big blue boy scout.

DMAC on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ohh man, Lucy Lawless is voicing Wonder Woman in New Frontier. And David Boreanaz is Hal Jordan. No reveal for Batman, though.

Does Batman even have a real part in New Frontier?

:mrgreen:

bychance on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    So, I watched it. Far better than the Marvel movies.

My minor gripe was that there was no DCU crossover, and even at the funeral only classic superman characters attended. The lack of the Justice League was kind of disappointing.

My big gripe was
    The lack of Johnathan Kent. His heart attack and voyage through the afterlife was one of my favorite things about the storyline, and I was pretty bummed when I found out they cut him completely.

Ohh, and also
    Krypton gas apparently kills the clone in a flash, when earlier on even the robot says that superman can't really be permanently killed at all. Also, the clone is (unlike previous animated ventures and comic storylines) 100% accurate in terms of physical ability. So how can the clone be dead at all? It really annoys me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ohh, and also
    Krypton gas apparently kills the clone in a flash, when earlier on even the robot says that superman can't really be permanently killed at all. Also, the clone is (unlike previous animated ventures and comic storylines) 100% accurate in terms of physical ability. So how can the clone be dead at all? It really annoys me.
    Kryptonite effectively disables superman's powers (and then some). So if the clone was carrying a giant stone block, got hit with kryptonite gas that followed him, and got crushed by the giant stone block, yeah he'd be pretty dead.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Justice League isn't in it because it's a fucking Superman movie. Ok? Fuck.

And Bruce Timm assured everyone at Comic-Con that Jeremy Sisto makes a great Batman. I have immense trust in Andrea Romano as well, so I'm sure it'll be great.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The movie exceeded my expectations by a pretty wide margin. The fight choreography was great, the stuff with Toyman was cool (including the hilarious cameo), the animation was very slick and fluid, and the voice acting was, for the most part, top notch. Marsters did a much better Lex than I expected.

On the downside, Anne Heche grated on me a bit during her first scene where Lois talks to Perry, but after that she was pretty good. Adam Baldwin didn't really get to do much with Superman, just because he's in so little of the movie, and most of the time he's around he just has to grunt and make fighting noises, but he still made for a perfectly acceptable Superman. Superman's cheekbones were, as most people have said, an eyesore. There was a reaosn they ditched them in JLU. I felt like Timm wanted to pay lip service to the idea of recreating a cartoon in Jurgens' style, without actually doing much different, so he (or whoever did character designs) just made a few superficial changes and called it a day.

That's actually probably my biggest problem with the movie. They've been touted as recreations of some of DC's most popular stories, right down to character designs/animation style, but in the end this wasn't really The Death of Superman: The Movie, but Bruce Timm and Co. Present: Superman/Doomsday. Which is fine, and made for a good movie, but it wasn't really what DC promoted it as.

Taken by itself, it's a really good movie from the guys that have delivered the excellent DCAU stuff over the past decade. But as an adaptation of The Death of Superman, it falls way short of the mark.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Man, I was excited to see it wasn't full of superfluous lines like the comic. I think DC promoting it as being the same art "style" is really "same character designs."

I think it was better than the comic. That comic was a goddamn ordeal.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Even the character designs weren't really faithful to the comic though. Lois had curly brown hair in the comic, in this she had straight black hair and vaguely asian features (this is more of a design quirk of Timm's style though), and Lex didn't have his rockin' ginger beard and hair. I can understand why they decided to go that way though, since anybody unfamiliar with the Death of Superman comic would be all, "Buh wuh?" I can understand why they went with the more streamlined animation too, since it animates better, but I was hoping for something more like a mid-90s Marvel cartoon, but with a bigger budget and better animators that'd actually allow it to look decent. Or even something more like Gargoyles or the current Marvel movies, but without all that weird dodge and burn shading.

I still wish they'd kept more of the comic plot intact though. Sure they could cut out some of the meandering stuff with Emil Hamilton, the protoplasmic Supergirl, that annoying kid and his family who almost gets killed by Doomsday, the mutant dudes living under Metropolis, and all that stuff, but I'd have liked to see them keep the Justice League, Superman/Lois's established relationship, and Pa Kent in there. My ideal Doomsday movie would have been three acts.

Act One: Doomsday's discovered by Lex, rampages across the country, encounters the Justice League, Superman gives an interview and delivers that nice foreshadowing line from the comic about how, "As heroes, we choose to protect that good with our lives," as you see the Justice League get demolished.

Act Two: Superman becomes aware of the crisis in Metropolis, races off to fight Doomsday, save Lois, etc.

Act Three: Superman dies, the world mourns. Final scene closes with a black man in an industrial forge making a suit of armor, a group of astronauts approaching an unidentified object in space, and Luthor staring at a test tube baby with a "Project S" on the side of the tank.

I think that if they'd have committed completely to the idea of making a movie only about Superman's death, rather than one about his sort of death and near immediate return to life, it could have been a stronger film, and could have even then led into a Reign of the Supermen story, and then a Return of Superman movie, allowing for a nice little trilogy box set.

I imagine they were under pressure to just make a cool easily accessible film about Superman dying and then coming back to life though, so I get why they chose to do it this way. I just don't think the movie really conveyed the gravity of Superman's death though, since he was only gone for like, ten minutes of movie time.

Munch on